Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who dislikes the Mortal Kombat series?

Strawberry (Level 2) Streetball 21's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Who dislikes the Mortal Kombat series?

I'm just curious to get different opinions from other gamers on this subject.. As you can tell by my avatar, I am a Mortal Kombat fan ever since the first game in the series. I love the characters, the storyline, everything about it. I know some people (especially certain video game magazines) who dislike everything about Mortal Kombat. So Im curious, what are the reasons you do not like the Mortal Kombat series?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It has no deep or serious gameplay.
    You must defeat Sheng Long, to stand a chance......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    walrusmonger
    PSN
    walrusmonger

I liked it when I played the first one. I was also 7 years old.

1 was very interesting for its time 2 was more of the same, 3 was more of the same.. the 3D ones sucked until Deadly Alliance, which was an average game. The one after DA sucked.

So overall I'd give the series a C.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well this is what I gather. MK 1 and 2 were basic games of cunning. When the rest of the series started coming out, they made combo's more of an issue. Its funner to be on a more level playing field (MK 1 and 2), then having an experienced player come in and demolish everyone with good combo's and counters. Another thing many found annoying was the fact that they would copy characters. For instance, there were always sub zero and scorpion. They took there generally bodies added characters like Smoke, Noob Sabot, and Reptile. Physically the only change was the colors. So if you play a newer version, there might be 10 chars that all look the same. Other fighting games don't follow the same concept (Street Figher, SNK, etc) Now when the games started going 3d, thats when I believe they really went downhill. They started introducing multiply weird characters that never existed before. They added a weird weapons system. The games somewhat got cheezy if you ask me. Other fighting games stayed more true to there origins. When I think of MK, Street Figher, Snk, etc I think 2d fighter. Other fighting games are certainly more sucessful with the concept. I don't "hate' the MK series, I just wish they stayed more true to there roots. Any other thoughts people?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    xdaytime

I like it. But I don't like that they keep adding new characters everygame.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ive loved the series since i was 8, i loved MK2, and tried to really enjoy MK3, then i stopped going to the arcades for a few years. then in 1997 MK4 hit the um "streets" and i played that relentlessly and its home versions. then MK Deadly alliance..ugh. it was ok, beat it with all the training modes and unlocked Drahmin(i think his name was). MK Deception was more of the same,and MK Armageddon was shit. i even bought it the day it came out, and i never do that with MK games. it was S. The next MK is going to get rid of everyone but a very slim few and without Ed Boon, and it should be out this year. a "rebirth" of another dying series. I still play Mk2 from time to time and that the pinnacle of the series. Mk1 of course was great but Mk3 and onward..meh.

if they dont make the next MK game good then its lights out for Mortal Kombat.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Hainjutsuyiu

its ok I only like MK2 arcade
    Ahh man this guy is back

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

My dad rented Mortal Kombat 1 for me in 1993. That was the first time I played the game and I was a high school student. I felt it was a good, but overrated game at the time. I felt like the game was not that deep.

Mortal Kombat 2 was the best of the orginal 5 Mortal Kombat games that I played including ultimate Mortal Kombat 3. I never touched the 3d MK games.

Mortal Kombat 3 was the start the decline of the series to me.
    Last edited by 7th lutz; 02-24-2008 at 03:33 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I never liked the MK games (at least the 2-D ones...I thought Deception was o.k.). All my friends loved the series, so I really tried to get into them but they've always felt like the sloppiest fighting games ever to me. Maybe it's because of the choppy stop-motion character animation, sluggish controls, and over the top violence. It just felt like more of a gimmick than a fighting game to me.

I was a HUGE Street Fighter II fan before MK came out, so that might have something to do with my dislike for it.

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I thought the first game was great and I still feel that way today. Aside from that, I believe the original Mortal Kombat made an important contribution to the industry.

The only one I have ever played extensively is the original, even though I've tried some of the other 2D versions. It has good atmosphere, cool characters (the first game) and it is fun to play, regardless of whether or not it is "deep." I thought there was more substance in there than the blood because for whatever reason, I enjoy the Super NES port just as much as the Genesis one.

One of my only problems with the game is that a good player can plow through all of the fights in like half an hour. However, that isn't any different than a lot of other fighting games from that era. It makes it a good title to pick up and play, blowing off a little steam in the process. That and I found some of the special movies and fatalities difficult to do, which meant I usually stuck with guys like Scorpion who had easier move sets.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Cloud121D
    PSN
    Cloud121
    Steam
    Cloud121D

I love the characters, the storyline, and the games up until Deadly Alliance. Mortal Kombat 3 will always be my favorite, though Mortal Kombat 4 was the last really good one. Deadly Alliance was when the gameplay started to completely suck, but the storyline reached it's peak.
    My Game Collection
    "I am only what you see me as." - Obsidian Rose

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The series is what it is... and I only really care about MK2, which I thought was a pretty good fighting game in its own right. I stopped caring at all about MK after Trilogy.

To me it will always be known more for the "controversy" it caused than the actual gameplay, which cannot hold SF's jock strap, nor does it try to, which is not a bad thing in and of itself. It's a completely different game and I take it for what it is.

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BuckyBKatt
    PSN
    Bucky_B_Katt

I never played it much growing up so I had a chance to pick it up recently for the SNES and I couldn't even get past the second guy, so yeah I'm not a fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

Never liked the series.

I was already burnt out on fighting games by the time MK1 came out. The market was already flooded, and MK really didn't bring anything new to the genre. Graphics and tons of gore, maybe. But that's about it.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't dislike it, but I felt that the series peaked with MK Trilogy. I'll probably give the eventual PS3 version a try, but I'm really not into fighting games as a whole anymore.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last edited by DefaultGen; 03-12-2023 at 07:22 PM.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Played I and II a ton in arcades and on Genesis, with II being the better one of course. Played III a little, then gave up on them. I kind of gave up on all fighting games, been there, done that. The second movie was so horrible, it really put the series in a bad light. The television series was very good though, but lasted one season.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

I never got in to the Mortal Kombat Games but also never hated them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ThoughtBomb

I think I can say I've played nearly every MK released since it's inception in the 90's. Other than the fatalities and such, I was intrigued by it because it wasn't like Street Fighter or Fatal Fury, and that's what made it interesting. The fighters were actual people, and the storyline had a darker tone to it, and the moves were something never done before. I've yet to see anything in any fighter top the spear or the freeze. One started it all for me, I enjoyed 2 & 3 which introduced a kind of B-movie comedic side to the game, I never played 4 till years later on N64, and the 3d ones were indeed slower and layed things on too thick (2 fighting styles and a weapon?). That's not to say that I didn't like them cuz I did, but I'm glad their killing off a lot of the extra characters and hopefully the next one will RE4ize the series. I'm not going to back up everything they did though. After all, I consider Mortal Kombat: Annihilation to be the worst movie I've ever seen...
    Oh no! The truck have started to move!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Never could stand the series. Quite frankly, the motion capture looked crap compared to SNK or Capcom's sprites. And it never could come anywhere even close to the games from SNK or Capcom.

The only reason the games were even noticed was because of the completely unrealistic blood and the absolutely laughable Fatalities, Babalites etc. Playablility wise they sucked. Hard.