Thread: Just bought an arcade machine, I have some questions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Just bought an arcade machine, I have some questions.

OK so a couple of guys and I spontaneously bought an Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 arcade machine on eBay (only $150!) and now have it in our possession... but I have some questions.

a) Why do some arcade machines not come with art on the sides? Does this mean it's not the original machine or did Midway make multiple versions?

b) Ours does not come with art on the side, however it does have the original marquee as well as the stuff underneath the plastic around the controllers. BUT is there some place that sells things that you could put on the sides, like stickers maybe... I don't know.

c) How do you go about replacing the monitor? The game is certainly playable but the TV is old so it's really dark and you have to play with the lights off. When we looked in the back I was confused as to how you could replace the monitor...

d) WHY THE FUCK ARE FATALITIES SO HARD TO PERFORM? Ugh, anyone have tips for that?

I sure do love this thing though, answers or comments about their own machines are welcome.
    Mostly just play Nintendo 64. If you've got games PM me! Cart only.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

[QUOTE=dbiersdorf;1328401]OK so a couple of guys and I spontaneously bought an Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 arcade machine on eBay (only $150!) and now have it in our possession... but I have some questions.

a) Why do some arcade machines not come with art on the sides? Does this mean it's not the original machine or did Midway make multiple versions?

Some are conversions, not very many "original pieces" these days. Dedicated Ultimate MK3 machines are very hard to locate. This was a free upgrade from MK3. Take some pics and I can tell you what your cabinet was originally.

b) Ours does not come with art on the side, however it does have the original marquee as well as the stuff underneath the plastic around the controllers. BUT is there some place that sells things that you could put on the sides, like stickers maybe... I don't know.

There are places online that sell this type of stuff, but someone has to chime in here on that one.

c) How do you go about replacing the monitor? The game is certainly playable but the TV is old so it's really dark and you have to play with the lights off. When we looked in the back I was confused as to how you could replace the monitor...

There should be knobs that allow you to adjust for clarity and brightness. If that does not help, you probably need a new cap kit, but you will need to have someone experienced in this area actually do it for you, or you risk shock =P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dbiersdorf View Post
    Usually a monitor comes out the front. Once the plexiglass is removed you'll see the fasteners that hold it in. On the games that I've had, you remove the marquee, then the lower marquee plate, then the front plexi can be removed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmm, see I don't even know what to type in Google or something to get art or whatever like that.

Here's the original auction on eBay (has photos):
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN:IT&ih=004

Thanks for your help!
    Mostly just play Nintendo 64. If you've got games PM me! Cart only.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Clownzilla

WARNING! WARNING! WARNING!

DO NOT attempt to replace the monitor if you need to ask those questions. Have somebody do it for you! Let me tell you now that even when you are unplugged, you can kill yourself if you touch the wrong part.
    Wherever politics tries to be redemptive, it is promising too much. Where it wishes to do the work of God, it becomes not divine, but demonic.

Pope Benedict XVI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Looks like your side art was painted over.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Side Art repro's are available here:
    http://www.mamemarquees.com/index.php
    (Just type in your game in the quick search)
    This is just a place to start, you may be able to find it elsewhere.
    Search for arcade graphics or arcade art, arcade side art etc.

Here is some monitor info...
    And as mentioned above, they are DANGEROUS.
    Don't go poking around if you don't know what you're pokin'

http://arcadecontrols.com/arcade_monitors.shtml

Have fun, be careful.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Touching a charged monitor won't kill you -- in fact, unless you touch exactly the wrong thing, it's fairly hard to get shocked at all. But just know, touch the wrong part and yeah, it'll shock the fuck out you and you'll wish you hadn't done that.

Monitors have capacitors on them. Over the years, those capacitors get old and don't perform as well as they used to. A "cap kit" is a collection of replacement capacitors for monitors. You can do it yourself for around $5-$10, or have someone do it for $100. Capkits are the #1 repair done on monitors, and they fix a lot of problems (including brightness/contrast issues).

MK sideart isn't terribly expensive. Side art comes in two flavors, "NOS" (new old stock) and reproductions or repros. It's a pretty common game, so it shouldn't be tough to come across some pretty cheap.

Congrats on the buy -- $150's a good deal!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy View Post
    Usually a monitor comes out the front. Once the plexiglass is removed you'll see the fasteners that hold it in. On the games that I've had, you remove the marquee, then the lower marquee plate, then the front plexi can be removed.
    To remove the monitor, FABombjoy is right about having to remove the plexiglass and taking the monitor out of the front side (for most cabinets anyway). In addition to the technique he mentioned, a number of cabinets have you open up the control panel (the part with the joysticks), which frees the plexiglass for removal. To remove the control panel, open the coin door and you can reach your arm up inside the cabinet to unlatch it. 2 latches are often present (one on either side) and sometimes a latch in the center.