Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone except me never play a Final Fantasy game?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Anyone except me never play a Final Fantasy game?

I was reading PLAY last night and they had a big preview on the upcoming Final Fantasy title for the PSP. The writer assumed that everyone on the earth had played Final Fantasy.

I realized that I've never played any game in the entire series although I know I've got one for the NES and possibly three on the PS1 sitting in storage somewhere. How many have there been? How many remakes? How many offshoots? It's got to be in the 20's, no?

Anyone else never played a FF game?
    Thanks for indulging my gaming habit when I was young, Dad. You were the best. I miss you. ~David Barnes 1926-2007~

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Do you not like RPGs? I'm not saying everyone is going to like Final Fantasy, but everyone who thinks they might like an RPG should at least TRY to play a couple of them. There's a good chance they'll like it quite a bit, and if they don't like it, then no big deal. At least they tried.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you like old number throwing RPG's you should play some. I'd suggest FF3 on the SNES. It's aged pretty well, sprite graphics are nice and colorful, the music in the series is excellent, and the stories are good. Then again, if you're not into RPG's I could understand not playing them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Got about halfway through disc 1 of FF7, and that's all the FF I've ever played. I've never been into turn-based RPGs and FF7 really didn't grab me. Now Skies of Arcadia is another matter. That game grabbed me the moment I fired it up and I was unable to put it down.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I've never played any Final Fantasy game. I have also never played a Zelda game. Just not my cup of tea. I have played a few RPGs over the years, but I have never felt motivated to play either FF or Zelda. Not Final Fantasy because I don't like turn-based gameplay, and not Zelda because I was not a Nintendo fan, and I almost never play any of their systems (except the GameCube).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I too have never played Final Fantasy or really any RPG. I know they are great in all but I just don't have the time to get into a major story line like so. The furthest I get into a game is to test it and then I know it's ready to sell.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
    I've never played any Final Fantasy game. I have also never played a Zelda game. Just not my cup of tea. I have played a few RPGs over the years, but I have never felt motivated to play either FF or Zelda. Not Final Fantasy because I don't like turn-based gameplay, and not Zelda because I was not a Nintendo fan, and I almost never play any of their systems (except the GameCube).
    I'm the same way. I tried Final Fantasy 7 and found it to be utterly boring and melodramatic. I've also tried several incarnations of the Zelda franchise and just didn't get what made the games so special, especially compared to other games in the same loose genre.

My beef with RPGs is pretty simple: I hate, hate, hate having to cycle through a menu to attack. I used to think that overwhelming depth in games was off-putting, but I dig Oblivion, so that theory is inadequate. I've found that if I've got a sword and I'm going to be hitting some guy with it, I'd better be hitting buttons to swing that goddamn sword at the guy, not selecting "attack" from a text menu, even if it's really little more, depending on the game, than a degree of seperation from the former. That and I'll never understand the JRPG fascination with prettyboys and cliche-ridden plots that don't so much present a fascinating narrative as much as offer an excuse to drag out a game for as long as possible to make the player feel like they're getting their money's worth.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    gamelord2000

To me, the first one on the NES is a excellent game. I tried the second one on the SNES and it didn't do anything for me. Later I tried FF 7 for the PSX and I got my ass kicked right away so didn't even bother getting past the beginning.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you try a game and don't like it, that's perfectly fine. They're not Half Japanese's cup of tea, but at least he has personal experience to come to that conclusion, and he's just not a turn-based RPG fan. That's fine. Everyone has different tastes. What I don't get is why someone would dismiss a whole series that they haven't tried. There's a reason that these games are as popular as they are, because a lot of people really, really love them. Maybe they'll end up being the best thing you've ever played, but you can't know that if you haven't tried.

I recommend anyone who hasn't played Final Fantasy, for them to pick up Final Fantasy III (aka Final Fantasy VI) for the SNES, or pick up Final Fantasy VI Advance for the GBA. It's one of the most approachable and universally liked parts of the series. Maybe you'll love it. Maybe you'll hate it, but there's no harm in trying it out.

And for Zelda, pick up a Link to the Past. Or emulate it. I don't care. And if you hate it, you never have to play it again. No big whoop.

I've seen this a lot with games like GTA and Halo. I saw someone on GameFAQs not too long ago say, "I've never played a Halo game, and I'm proud of it." Why? Why would someone be proud of that? A lot of people like Halo, so maybe he'd like it. I don't get that thinking.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

Quote Originally Posted by Snapple View Post
    And for Zelda, pick up a Link to the Past. Or emulate it. I don't care. And if you hate it, you never have to play it again. No big whoop.

I've seen this a lot with games like GTA and Halo. I saw someone on GameFAQs not too long ago say, "I've never played a Halo game, and I'm proud of it." Why? Why would someone be proud of that? A lot of people like Halo, so maybe he'd like it. I don't get that thinking.
    I actually gave a Link to the Past a shot (the GBA version), but I turned it off for good after I turned into the rabbit or whatever and didn't know what I needed to do from there. That was a few years ago and I realize I just may not have given myself enough time to wander around aimlessly as a rabbit, but that brings up another gripe I have with RPGs: I don't want to feel like I need a strategy guide or an FAQ to complete a game. There is a difference to me between simply being stuck (temporary) and being so completely fucking lost that I'd rather play checkers against myself (game-ending permanence), and I often find myself in the latter category with the RPGs I've tried.

What's ironic about my previously mentioned dislike of menu-based combat systems is that I dig games like Vandal Hearts, Advance Wars and (to some extent) Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. Maybe that has a lot to do with the lack of an overwhelming overworld and a story that is largely an aside rather than a focal point.

Sorry if I'm hijacking the thread by self-diagnosing my own dislikes, but maybe someone else agrees with me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Half Japanese View Post
    My beef with RPGs is pretty simple: I hate, hate, hate having to cycle through a menu to attack. I used to think that overwhelming depth in games was off-putting, but I dig Oblivion, so that theory is inadequate. I've found that if I've got a sword and I'm going to be hitting some guy with it, I'd better be hitting buttons to swing that goddamn sword at the guy, not selecting "attack" from a text menu.
    Have you tried Phantasy Star Online for the Dreamcast/GameCube/Xbox? I bought it in the waning days of the DC, and only tried it out on a lark. But the action gameplay within a strong RPG framework hooked me like candy coated heroin. The recent continuation of the series, Phantasy Star Universe, isn't nearly as addictive, but has similar gameplay.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

Have you tried Phantasy Star Online for the Dreamcast/GameCube/Xbox? I bought it in the waning days of the DC, and only tried it out on a lark. But the action gameplay within a strong RPG framework hooked me like candy coated heroin. The recent continuation of the series, Phantasy Star Universe, isn't nearly as addictive, but has similar gameplay.
    Yep, I was a big fan of Phantasy Star Online and was even a member of Sega's short-lived ISP SegaNet. PSO was an action-RPG, and I love those, especially when I can play them with friends (both on and offline). Sega lost me with the sequels' monthly fees, but that's a discussion for another thread.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I never played PSO online, since I have no interest in that kind of thing. And last month my GameCube memory card corrupted, forcing me to erase all four of my characters. One level 109, a level 45, and a level 53. That's a hell of a lot of hours of gameplay that I lost.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got a few levels into a Final Fantasy game on the original Gameboy (had a blue box, don't remember what it was though!) but thats about it. At least that I remember I can't say I ever beat any of those turn based role playing games. Although I did play Pokemon yellow for a little while, that was fun. I've also never played a Gran Theft Auto or more than the first level of Halo1.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last RPG I played was Zork. Never got into them at all. I've seriously never played Zelda or FF or any other RPG. I think I've tried Landstalker and do like Gauntlet Legends, but I don't think those qualify. I like classic arcade action, baby!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I played maybe 15 minutes of the original. And I just bought 7 a few days ago, and played a little bit of it. And that's it really, I'm just not into RPGs.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Never played a single Final Fantasy game. I can't dedicate the time necessary to really get anywhere in RPGs. The think the last one I played was either Zelda: Ocarina of Time or Majora's Mask. I've got Twilight Princess for my GC but haven't given it much of a shot yet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I tried to play FF7 and couldn't get into it. Tried FF1 on NES couldn't get into that either. I love a good RPG. I don't know why these didn't grab me. I have played and loved Phantasy Star series, LUNAR series, Grandia series, Skies of Arcadia, and several others so people think I am crazy when I tell them I just don't like Final Fantasy. Oh well, to each their own.

Trade List: http://gametz.com/user/Atarian75.html
    Last Game Finished: Earth Defense Force 2017 on Normal. 5/27/2009

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only one I've devoted much time to was Mystic Quest on the SNES. The turn-based gameplay wears thin on me. The only Final Fantasy game I own is the one on the NES- and I've only played 5 or so minutes of it. I just can't get a hard-on for JRPG's the way some people do.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've only completed two FF games, both on the SNES: FF III* and Mystic Quest. And I played through those when I was in high school (I'm 25 now). However, I own a few more FF titles, and plan to eventually complete every one I own someday.

* - Yeah, it's technically FF VI, but I go with what the label on the cart says.

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.