Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Disabling the NES Lock-out chip? (And GB game battery replacement)

  1. #1
    Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    3
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Smile Disabling the NES Lock-out chip? (And GB game battery replacement)

    Hi! I heard there is a way to open the NES and disable the lock-out chip and make it stop the "Off-On" red light as well as play import games (if this is the case I am SO getting fire emblem 3 ) even if it's not i'd still likey do it to stop the finicky light.

    also the batteries in my Gold & Silver games have failed me (and caused me to lose a shiny Poke) (NO!!! *decimates game*) anyways does anyone know what type of battery to replace it with?

    I need awnsers and step by step instruction for these
    and pardon any spelling mistakes or crappy grammar
    'cuz i is nawt a guud righter

  2. #2
    Strawberry (Level 2) SnowKitty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    403
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bluepink512 View Post
    Hi! I heard there is a way to open the NES and disable the lock-out chip and make it stop the "Off-On" red light as well as play import games (if this is the case I am SO getting fire emblem 3 ) even if it's not i'd still likey do it to stop the finicky light.

    also the batteries in my Gold & Silver games have failed me (and caused me to lose a shiny Poke) (NO!!! *decimates game*) anyways does anyone know what type of battery to replace it with?

    I need awnsers and step by step instruction for these
    and pardon any spelling mistakes or crappy grammar
    'cuz i is nawt a guud righter
    you need a 60 to 72 pin adapter for famicom carts.
    meow :3

  3. #3
    Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    3
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    not to sound like a n00b (Good with games but not immensly knowledgable of the tech. stuff) but what is that and where can I get one?

  4. #4
    Alex (Level 15) InsaneDavid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Silicon Valley, USA
    Posts
    7,364
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    18
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    13
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

    Default

    Even if you disable the 10NES chip you still need to make sure your games and system connectors are clean. Search the forums here, there are dozens of threads about NES cleaning. Dirty cartridges / a dirty ZIF connector (the part inside the NES the cartridges plug into) will still give you all the same problems you had before disabling the 10NES chip.

    Disabling the 10NES chip is, in my opinion, the most overhyped and worthless (99% of the time uselss) console mod there is out there.
    Last edited by InsaneDavid; 02-28-2008 at 06:57 AM.

  5. #5
    DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Kitsune Sniper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Calexico, USA
    Posts
    13,853
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid View Post
    Even if you disable the 10NES chip you still need to make sure your games and system connectors are clean. Search the forums here, there are dozens of threads about NES cleaning. Dirty cartridges / a dirty ZIF connector (the part inside the NES the cartridges plug into) will still give you all the same problems you had before disabling the 10NES chip.

    Disabling the 10NES chip is, in my opinion, the most overhyped and worthless (99% of the time uselss) console mod there is out there.
    I have a couple of bootleg carts that would not work if the chip was still active. I had to disable it on my test system.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

  6. #6
    Alex (Level 15) InsaneDavid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Silicon Valley, USA
    Posts
    7,364
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    18
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    13
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    I have a couple of bootleg carts that would not work if the chip was still active. I had to disable it on my test system.
    That's the remaining 1% - a very small group of cartridges and very small group of users as most of the bootlegs are usually bundled with a pirate famiclone or similar NoaC system or are from a supplier that sells / stocks / manufacturers them as well.

  7. #7
    DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Kitsune Sniper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Calexico, USA
    Posts
    13,853
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

    Default

    Well, my carts are regular sized carts, not Famiclone carts. This included my lovely Konami Batman bootleg.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Similar Threads

  1. GBC game losing saves even after battery replacement
    By Orion Pimpdaddy in forum Technical and Restoration Society
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-06-2011, 01:37 PM
  2. Game Boy save battery replacement
    By JohnnyBlaze in forum Classic Gaming
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 02-04-2010, 06:44 PM
  3. Disabling #4 Pin Of Nes Lockout Chip
    By wingzrow in forum Technical and Restoration Society
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-10-2008, 11:05 PM
  4. Does disabling the NES lockout chip realy help the blinkies?
    By Gentlegamer in forum Technical and Restoration Society
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-21-2008, 06:38 PM
  5. Disabling a ROM chip?
    By Raccoon Lad in forum Technical and Restoration Society
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-04-2005, 06:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •