Thread: Solomon's Key 2, US Prototype found, need help here

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Solomon's Key 2, US Prototype found, need help here

Hi all. I found a NES Cart with a clearly Xerox-machine type label labeled as Solomon's Key 2. It's all black and white, but the name has been markered in (I'll be including links to pic's don't worry). On the back it has a large sticker that says:

Please Return To:
    Tecmo Incorporated
    18005 S. Adria Maru Lane
    Carson, CA 90746
    Larry (not providing last name, just in case)

I've fired it up and "Solomon's Key 2" loads up on screen. It's clearly the same game as "Fire 'N' Ice", but different name. It does have an edit mode which I don't remember in "Fire 'N' Ice", but it's been many years since I've played that title. Also the copyright date lists it as 1992. That can't be right can it? Wasn't that AFTER "Fire 'N' Ice" was released? Also I used this on my US Top Loader NES that has absolutely NO modifications, so I can verify that this is a US cart.

Another difference is the weight of the cart. It weighs a full ounce more than a regular cart! I didn't notice it was heavy until my friend felt it and pointed out that it was "...Really heavy for a Nintendo game...". So after throwing a couple other NES games I had sitting around awaiting Ebay on my scale I discovered this cart weighs a full 4.6 ounces vs. the regular 3.6-3.7 my other carts weigh! Crazy!

So what is it exactly I have here? A beta? A prototype? What? And is it worth anything? I mean should I sell this? I'm really hard up for money and so many other things are going on ebay and to private sales, should I include this? What should I do with it? Can I have somebody reliable and trustworthy ROM Dump it? Should I even have that done? What do you all think I should do with this is what I'm basically asking. So what do I do then?

Let me know what you all think. Thanks in advance, and I eagerly await your responses.

Your Friend,

The Infamous Lunchbox, finder of the bizzare extraordinaire.

LINKS POSTED HERE AS I DID NOT SHRINK THE FILES YO!:
    Video: Be warned some strong language:
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...601&pr=goog-sl

Pics:
    http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e1...onsKey2005.jpg
    http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e1...onsKey2006.jpg
    http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e1...onsKey2002.jpg
    http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e1...onsKey2003.jpg
    http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e1...onsKey2001.jpg

Thanks for looking/helping in advance.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's a prototype. I have the same game, and it has also been dumped and released on the web as far as I know. This makes at least 3 that have been found. Approximate value is between $160-$260 for this.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cool! Thanks bro! By the way is it different than the final in any way?

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, the final version here is Fire and Ice, and the final version in Europe is SOlomon's Key 2, but the legal info should says Licensed by Nintendo of America, which would be the main difference along with the title.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nice. Thanks for the info on that one. One last question how is it you go about finding proto's? I've noticed you chime in on several proto topics. Is there anything I can do to spot these more easily? For me it's been purely right place, right time. I've come across 5 other prototypes in my time, 2 basketball games for SNES, a Contra III SNES beta/proto that I should've bought but didn't [$24!!! I'm dumb], a Saturn VF Remix beta, and a Guilty Gear Isuka PS2 beta disc. But my main question is, how do I go about searching these things out? I'm kind of interested in that. Is that a subject for the proto topic though?

Pac-Man (Level 10) Blitzwing256's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

the best way to find them is to work in the gaming industry, or to know someone who does, but it seems you can find protos if you're in the right place at the right time (I got my section-z prottype for 2$ at a gamestop) just keep an eye out for games that have the odd label or a cart that weighs alot more then a regular one, prsistance and a keen eye are your best friends.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

infamous lunchbox: If you've spotted all those already, and live in CA, you are way ahead of the game. Heck, you said in another topic a friend of yours has some too. If you want to buy protos on disk, I have a crapload available.

Blitz: Me wants the Section Z proto =(

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Actually I live in Utah. haha. But yeah, I realized I've seen a handful of Jaguar protos out here too. But that's only because I knew this insane (literally) collector of everythin Jag. haha. Thanks for the tips.

Also I still have that Guilty Gear Isuka disc somewhere, and the Saturn VF Remix beta too. So yeah, I guess right place right time is one way eh?
    Last edited by infamous lunchbox; 03-05-2008 at 12:47 AM. Reason: Wanted to add more, but not 2nd post more...