Thread: USB Capture

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Default USB Capture

I did a search about this and it turned up little... feel free to point to another thread if it exists. On to my question.

I really, REALLY want to record videos of games, edit them, voice over for reviews and all that good stuff. Anyone know of a good USB 2.0 capture device? Something with S-Video preferably and under $100.

My dad has a USB 1.1 capture device and it is okay but it drops frames here and there. Are the USB 2.0 devices better?
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would try for a faster CPU first. Dropped frames usually is a slow CPU. USB 1.1 should be enough for 320x240 30fps.

While the game console may do 240p at 60Hz, I've never seen a capture card allow 60fps capture, not yet anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

The dropped frames were on my dads computer. My computer is quite a bit better. The 320 x 240 resolution however I dislike. Can some of the USB 2.0 devices record 640 X 480?

For instance, the vidieos on Youtube are too low of a resolution for my taste. Can a USB 2.0 device record in a better resolution?

Sorry... I'm new to recording but am VERY eager to learn the ins and outs.
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith Storm View Post
    The dropped frames were on my dads computer. My computer is quite a bit better. The 320 x 240 resolution however I dislike. Can some of the USB 2.0 devices record 640 X 480?

For instance, the vidieos on Youtube are too low of a resolution for my taste. Can a USB 2.0 device record in a better resolution?

Sorry... I'm new to recording but am VERY eager to learn the ins and outs.
    Youtube only stores video on their server at 320x240 anyway, from what I hear.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Yeah... I was just using Youtube for sake of camparison. I'm not going to be putting videos on their. Its just that 320x240 is to low for my taste. So my question is:

Are there any USB 2.0 capture devices that can record in a resolution HIGHER than 320x240 at 30 FPS at the $100 mark or cheaper?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I believe most USB 2.0 will capture 720x480 at 30fps.. Check the specs first though.

Also, if your gonna capture anything old like NES or the Turbo (as per your signature), 320x240 would be the best bet anyway, as those consoles were 240p.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Okay cool! Thanks for the help.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

I use an Adaptec Gamebridge. It works well but it has its quirks.

You can see some examples at my youtube account:

youtube.com/user/Foxhack
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Cool! I'll check out the vids when I get home from work here in a few hours.

So what are some of the problems you have had with it? I think I remember finding an old post where you talked about "Ghosting". Did you ever get that resolved?