Insert Coin (Level 0) VideoMastersTV's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Video Masters TV- Episode 18- February, 2008

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXDUCufnM6M

http://www.videomasterstv.com/vmtvep18.wmv

This episode, we're taking a look at Dangerous Dave in the Haunted Mansion for the PC, from the days of DOS. Our opening topic is heroes and role models. Believe me, this plays an important role in today's media. We'll also review the film, Return of the Ghostbusters, and ALF for the Sega Master System.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Another great episode, nice to know I was not the only one who suffered with Alf on the Master System....

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Awesome episode, John!

I agree about there being no more heroes on kids networks these days. When was the last time we had an adult or level-headed teenager as the star of the show?

It seems that every cartoon you see is either:
    A) A teenager, a candidate picked last for role model of the year, getting superpowers to fight evil, yet makes the stupidest and/or impulsive decisions that no sane person would make.

B) A young child with no moral compass, whose entire existence is foolishly attempting stupid and crazy stunts without giving a second the consequence of his/her actions. The ones that do stand up to morals are punished by their peer groups and is assimilated into the "social standard" by peer pressure or fear.

The thing I really like about your shows is you go out into the internet and bring to light all these interesting shows that no executive in his "right mind" would ever go near. I believe within 2 or 3 generations, our grandchildren will mostly get their entertainment from good-to-honest web entertainment that are doing it not for the money or the fame, but to bring original and interesting entertainment denied by most corporate big shots for too long.
    Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    You're just a hypocrite. I'm bashing Nintendo because I'm anti Nintendo, but my reasoning behind bashing them is always accurate. You should learn to do some research.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I personally think it's greed to expect that you can pay for a game once and then do whatever you want with it.
    Check my video reviews on YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/user/optitube
    My Pixel Paradise Blog: http://blockmangamer.blogspot.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's a good thing I actually watched that episode of flashback you made so I understood the robot thing at the beginning. Also make sure you break out Tax Avoiders for the 2600 for a review since we are in the midst of tax time currently.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Well, I tried to make it so people would still find the DUKE and Earl skit funny, and understandable without having to look at the pilot. I (as Earl) give a brief explanation about finding which game leads to the worlds end, and you know the time is set in the future.

How come no one commented on our past attempts at a show, and my high voice?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I will comment that I liked the beard on the flashback show

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

What a phase that was. Wish I had recorded more videos with the beard, just in case I wanted to do more Flashback stories.

And show off more of DUKE's Girls Gone Wild collection. hahahaha

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

It's interesting that you pose the question "do they show re-runs of The Justice League cartoon on Cartoon Network anymore?" ...

... Bruce Timm, Paul Dini, Alan Burnett, and the rest of the people responsible for:

Batman The Animated Series (1992-1999)
    Superman The Animated Series (1996-2000)
    Batman Beyond (1999-2001)
    Justice League (2001-2004)
    and finally
    Justice League Unlimited (2004-2006)

are/were perhaps the the only creative team crafting animated "hero" fiction with a level of intelligence that willingly, knowingly, appeals to both kids and adults, as well as a commendable level of responsibility in dealing with "morality" issues (they try to paint things as black/white good/evil as they possibly can while simultaneously working within the boundaries of network television restrictions)

It's no surprise that most kids found their work too "boring" in comparison to the exaggerated animated versions of the Teen Titans (which admittedly was created by people who previously worked with Timm and Dini) ... and even though Teen Titans itself is no longer in production - this "split" of viewiership subsequently this may have lead to no future Justice League projects on the network itself.

I think that in the past 15 years or so, there really hasn't been a catalog of animated super-hero stories as perfectly written/animated, and in most cases I consider those versions of Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, etc. the gold standard DEFINITIVE versions of the characters ... we should consider ourselves lucky that those things made it to TV for one run, much less re-runs.

And thankfully, It's ALL out on DVD in season sets, so people interested in showing it to their kids do have full access to it.

(Also, don't sell some of the Macromedia Flash stuff TOO short ... Craig McCracken is doing GREAT things with "Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends" in terms of using the medium well, as well as writing stories that are funny, flashy, and also pretty solidly stocked with well written moral issues.)
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 03-04-2008 at 11:27 AM.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    GarrettCRW
    PSN
    GarrettCRW

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    ... Bruce Timm, Paul Dini, Alan Burnett, and the rest of the people responsible for:

Batman The Animated Series (1992-1999)
    Superman The Animated Series (1996-2000)
    Batman Beyond (1999-2001)
    Justice League (2001-2004)
    and finally
    Justice League Unlimited (2004-2006)

are/were perhaps the the only creative team crafting animated "hero" fiction with a level of intelligence that willingly, knowingly, appeals to both kids and adults, as well as a commendable level of responsibility in dealing with "morality" issues (they try to paint things as black/white good/evil as they possibly can while simultaneously working within the boundaries of network television restrictions)
    I wouldn't say only-the shows Steve Gerber shepherded (Thundarr, D&D-even after he left, G.I. Joe, and the third season of The Transformers) were all very intelligent, with a moral code that was more than just the "pro-social" mess that the networks were pushing.

The last couple of years of the Super Friends were also good on this end, which is no real shocker, since Alan Burnett was in charge. Also on the DC front is the '88 Ruby-Spears Superman show that Marv Wolfman spearheaded (it also stands as one of the few times when a network rep's suggestion-the Superman Family segments-actually worked).

Truth be told, before '95 or so, the rule for TV cartoons is as follows: Marvel, Sunbow, Warner Bros., Disney, and Filmation shows generally won't insult your intelligence. Ruby-Spears and Hanna-Barbera generally will. The small fry and imports are crap shoots. DiC, of course, requires its own rule: AVOID after '88, with very few exceptions. And after '95, all bets are off.
    Webmaster of the Cartoon Review Website!
    http://www.cartoonreviewsite.com

My sale thread

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by GarrettCRW View Post
    I wouldn't say only-the shows Steve Gerber shepherded (Thundarr, D&D-even after he left, G.I. Joe, and the third season of The Transformers) were all very intelligent, with a moral code that was more than just the "pro-social" mess that the networks were pushing.

The last couple of years of the Super Friends were also good on this end, which is no real shocker, since Alan Burnett was in charge. Also on the DC front is the '88 Ruby-Spears Superman show that Marv Wolfman spearheaded (it also stands as one of the few times when a network rep's suggestion-the Superman Family segments-actually worked).

Truth be told, before '95 or so, the rule for TV cartoons is as follows: Marvel, Sunbow, Warner Bros., Disney, and Filmation shows generally won't insult your intelligence. Ruby-Spears and Hanna-Barbera generally will. The small fry and imports are crap shoots. DiC, of course, requires its own rule: AVOID after '88, with very few exceptions. And after '95, all bets are off.
    Perhaps I should have clarified - I mean "best" as in "still currently producing" and/or "contemporary", as Timm and company are still producing stuff for DC and Warner Brothers on a semi-regular basis.

I realize I said are/were, but I really mean "were" as in the past 15 years or so.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post

(Also, don't sell some of the Macromedia Flash stuff TOO short ... Craig McCracken is doing GREAT things with "Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends" in terms of using the medium well, as well as writing stories that are funny, flashy, and also pretty solidly stocked with well written moral issues.)
    Foster's first movie was okay, but when the series started, they turned Blue into a total obnoxious jerk and completely turned me off. Although, it doesn't mean Flash animation is bad, just that its poorly executed too often. It has great potential to be better than what's currently shown on TV, given enough creativity and imagination.

Like this: http://www.newgrounds.com/collection...ariobrosz.html
    You're just a hypocrite. I'm bashing Nintendo because I'm anti Nintendo, but my reasoning behind bashing them is always accurate. You should learn to do some research.
    I personally think it's greed to expect that you can pay for a game once and then do whatever you want with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Damn, look what I started. hahaha

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oops, looks like i went a bit off-topic. Sorry.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Nah, it's all good. It's great to stir up discussions on this, as long as no one is arguing heavily over it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Pretty good episode..still for playing elevator action returns a emulator is not the only other way to play it.

The game has a port for the,Sega Saturn and it is also on Taito Legends 2 for the PS2.

Just thought i mention that since you mention a emulator is the only way to play it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Hmm, don't know if I said the "only" way to play it. I kinda left out the Saturn port, cause...well, let's face it, how many people still own a Saturn? Not sure why I didn't mention Taito Legends, even though I knew about it. Heh.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VideoMastersTV View Post
    Hmm, don't know if I said the "only" way to play it. I kinda left out the Saturn port, cause...well, let's face it, how many people still own a Saturn?
    For the saturn owners not alot i guess but it has that cult following.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

That's what we gotta cover a bit more. The Saturn games. I also got a Dreamcast, and Jaguar, so we'll come up with some reviews in the near future.