Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: You Don't Know Flack (New Site/RSS Feed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow...no wonder my parents would not let me go to conventions when I was a kid, I be one heckofa different person.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

good stuff flack.i especially enjoyed the d&d episode.reminded me of my old d&d days!!
    do not buy/get system repair from martin krohn aka iamnotageek.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I've had good and bad comments about the D&D episode. A few people commented that it didn't really fit the "theme" of the show. The good news is, when it's your show, you can bend the theme occasionally.

At some point within the next two weeks I'm going to roll up tech.robohara.com back into my regular blog at robohara.com. It's too much of a hassle to split posts between the two, and to be honest, most of the things that I posted at "tech" I posted on my regular blog as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

"At some point" pretty much became last night. I exported all the posts from tech.robohara.com and imported them into robohara.com, saving the categories. I've updated all the links in this thread to point to the new posts.

I'll have to redo the RSS feed ... I need to add two, one for the blog itself and one for just the podcast. I'll try and get that done today.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

NEW! Episode 105
    Episode 105 tells the story of Boss BBS, a board that I used to call back in the Commodore 64 modem days -- until the day it mysteriously disappeared, and I heard the sysop's name on the 10pm news ...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Corrected an error in the RSS feed.

Let me know what you would like to hear in episode 106!

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think it'd be cool if you could get Jeff on for an episode at some point, as he seems to make his way into a lot of these stories to one degree or another.

Also I really dug the D&D episode. Regardless of the few bad comments you apparently received, I say don't be afraid to go off-theme again if it means good stories. The way I look at it, even though things like D&D and old-school technology may not be directly related, they kind of lend themselves to one another naturally, as for kids growing up around that time that's what made up our "world" -- computers, video games, D&D, retro toy/cartoon series, whatever.

Good stuff, keep it coming!

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

Always love hearing C64 related stuff...will put this into my podcast playlist for driving music.

I did want to mention (although I doubt there's anything you can do about it...I'm probably the cause of the problem), but I can't seem to get iTunes to DL any shows. I used a link I found on the site, and added it properly, but it just gives me an exclamation point when it looks for episodes...any ideas?

I probably should change podcast aggregators, but since I listen to everything on my iPod in my car, I'd like to try and keep it all in the family so to speak...
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You deserved it Flack, I reviewed your podbast here

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/blo...now-Flack.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    hwj_chim

Good podcast. Growing up in the 90's with windows, I find the older stories fascinating. Keep up the good work
    SEGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Coldguy View Post
    You deserved it Flack, I reviewed your podbast here
    Cool review, although I wonder...was there really a time when hackers weren't considered outlaws? In the early days (70s right) you had Captain Crunch the phreaker; before that, lots of guys on college campuses fighting their administrators for control over limited computer storage space and program time...a small point really, but one that (obviously) interests me.

How about it, Flack? Were you folks considered "hackers," and if so, was it negative or positive? (I realize this is all about the time of the WarGames movie.)

Also, gotta give the podcast a listen. Maybe that's obvious.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Subscribed to it to listen to tonight

Retro Garden - Retro Games blog and Retro Gaming Forum!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro View Post
    Cool review, although I wonder...was there really a time when hackers weren't considered outlaws? In the early days (70s right) you had Captain Crunch the phreaker; before that, lots of guys on college campuses fighting their administrators for control over limited computer storage space and program time...a small point really, but one that (obviously) interests me.

How about it, Flack? Were you folks considered "hackers," and if so, was it negative or positive? (I realize this is all about the time of the WarGames movie.)

Also, gotta give the podcast a listen. Maybe that's obvious.
    It turns out I have a lot to say on this topic and not a lot of time for this response. I'll hit the high points as quickly as possible.

Hackers have always been interested in knowledge and power. In the 70s and 80s, obvious targets were universities and the phone company, two universal targets that had resources of interest to hackers. I don't think hackers were any better or worse back then, but I don't think that they affected the average person like they do today. Today my grandma has to run a firewall so hackers don't infect her machine; in the 80s she didn't have a computer.

When hackers compromised something at the phone company, it didn't generally affect end users/customers -- and if it did, rarely did it affect them financially. I mean yeah, people were getting calling card numbers and using them, but they weren't getting people's ATM cards, PayPal accounts, eBay accounts, etc. That kind of gets back to the idea that people fear bad hackers these days because they can affect them personally (and possibly financially), when back in the day it was generally larger corporations having to deal with them. And again, nobody was hacking into universities to try and get money -- they were doing it to use their bandwidth and storage. For the most part I don't think many old school hackers were motivated by money and I think a lot of current ones are. Old hackers have a romanticism surrounding them that I don't think current hackers will.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by scooterb23 View Post
    Always love hearing C64 related stuff...will put this into my podcast playlist for driving music.

I did want to mention (although I doubt there's anything you can do about it...I'm probably the cause of the problem), but I can't seem to get iTunes to DL any shows. I used a link I found on the site, and added it properly, but it just gives me an exclamation point when it looks for episodes...any ideas?

I probably should change podcast aggregators, but since I listen to everything on my iPod in my car, I'd like to try and keep it all in the family so to speak...
    When I switched back from Feedburner to Wordpress's internal RSS feed, I think I broke my iTunes link. I am trying hard to get that working because I know how many iPod/iTunes listeners I have/had. I will keep trying to fix it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Great show as always FLACK, though, were there some audio issues? I had some breakup.......

Anyway though, thanks for your efforts, I love the show!
    My DP Refs MaximumRD Classic Gaming and Computing Me in a Nutshell (NOT LITERALLY!) http://about.me/maximumrd
    WHERE DID THEIR HAIR GO?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Flack View Post
    When hackers compromised something at the phone company, it didn't generally affect end users/customers
    Ah, the Robin Hood angle. That's right.

Eh, not much new there, thanks anyhow!

Also, I think that the current batch of hackers fall into two camps - greed-motivated on both ends, perhaps. One's financial; the other's boredom motivated griefers. There are of course more people out there who use their skills for good - testing out friends' systems, working their job, etc. - but they aren't considered "hackers" anymore.

I'M INVINCIBLE and similar stereotypes in the media pretty much saw to the end of that.
    Last edited by Ed Oscuro; 06-23-2008 at 08:01 PM.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

Quote Originally Posted by Flack View Post
    When I switched back from Feedburner to Wordpress's internal RSS feed, I think I broke my iTunes link. I am trying hard to get that working because I know how many iPod/iTunes listeners I have/had. I will keep trying to fix it!
    You are the bestest! Definitely digging the show
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I listened to the arcade show, pretty good.
    I also read through all of your blog entries. (No Stalker?) A lot of entertaining stories there, you're a good writer.

Keep up the awesome job man.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just listened to episode five, which was the first one for me. I enjoyed it, and will definitely check out future episodes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by scooterb23 View Post
    Hey Scooter, just wanted to let you know a couple of things.

#1, I installed "Podcasting", a Wordpress Plug-In. The new feed (http://www.robohara.com/?feed=podcast) should now be iTunes-friendly/compliant.

#2, I signed up for an iTunes account this morning and submitted the podcast to iTunes, so I am just waiting to hear back on that.

Let me know if #1 makes things any simpler for you.

(I should mention #3 -- I had to change all the filenames. Part of the reason iTunes was choking on the files is apparently because I had spaces and apostrophes in the file names.)
    Last edited by Flack; 07-08-2008 at 11:03 AM.