Thread: Help on Modded Xbox, newbie having problems

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Help on Modded Xbox, newbie having problems

Guys, I got a modded xbox from a guy that has a bunch of emulators on it but not many roms.

I can not get this thing hooked up to ftp client to download to my xbox.

I only have a CD-R drive on my pc, I tried burning everything to cd and loading it on the xbox but it didn't work.

What can I do, it looks like you can take from dvd-R AND PUT ON THE XBOX WITH UNLEASH (WHICH I HAVE ON MY MODDED XBOX)

Any thing I can do to get the roms on there?

If it won't take CD's, can anyone help me out with a few DVD-R's loaded with snes, genesis, atari, MAME, and a few other things?

Any help, I am a complete newbie and idiot when it comes to this stuff. I will trade you a game or pay you for the stuff to help me out.

Thanks
    Jeff

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You've probably got a Thomson drive on your Xbox since it's not reading your cd's. Those drives won't read cd-r's no matter how you burn them. I think remember reading somewhere that cd-rw's may work but I'm not positive. DVD-R's will play fine though.

I don't think you can transfer files to your Xbox with UnleashX. It's a very bare-bones dashboard and you can't do much with it. I had it for a while on mine and hated it. You're best bet is replacing it with XBMC and using the file browser on that to install your roms.

What's the problem with FTP'ing? Can't access the Xbox at all? Are you sure you're entering the correct password and name for the Xbox in your FTP client? (It's usually "xbox" but they should be listed in your UnleashX settings menu so you can check for sure).
    Last edited by norkusa; 03-07-2008 at 09:37 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sometimes the ftp just doesn't friggin' work at some clients and sometimes it does. I wonder if it has got anything to do with stars... Well anyway, I'd suggest you try several FTP-clients and of course IE FTP (couldn't get work on WinSCP, but IE FTP worked like a charm. odd?).

Yeah, well, I too don't really know about how UnleashX should handle these things. Get XMBC or Avalaunch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Getting the ftp server on the xbox running is pretty easy under unleashX

in the meantime - try out burning to cd-rw

Or get a DVD burner, you should really have one by now.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

To add, I'm using unleashX, and I had no problems getting the FTP client working. unleashX has quite a few features- but it's not very friendly looking. I have had a few problems with it myself, and maybe another dashboard would do better.

Actually the thing that has pissed me off most about unleashX, is getting my SNES9x emulator working without locking up when the program starts. I can get it working (and can play my roms fine) if I go browse for the program on the HD and select it from there or I can do it when I select it from recent programs- but when I try to go into the main applications category it always locks up on the unleashX menu screen. It does the same when I put it in the "Emulators" heading too.

I would try and use XBMC, but I'm afraid of running out of HD space if I put too many programs on there (a HD upgrade is outta the question with my current skill level- and current computer set-up). Truth be told, I mainly use my XBOX for playing bought XBOX games- but this problem has frustrated me to no end- and I've spent hours changing settings, re-ftp-ing the programs, and relocating files to see if that was the problem. I've searched countless forums to no avail too (although I never signed up for one to just inquire either). If there's anyone out there who could help me, that'd be great. I don't mean to Hijack, but I'd thought I'd try for help.

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got some cd-rw's and they work great. thanks for the help guys

I am having a problem running V26 atari 2600 emulator, i try to load the rom, the screen gets lines and you can hear a humming and hte game doesn't load.

Anyone know what is going on?

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jeffg View Post
    I got some cd-rw's and they work great. thanks for the help guys

I am having a problem running V26 atari 2600 emulator, i try to load the rom, the screen gets lines and you can hear a humming and the game doesn't load.

Anyone know what is going on?
    That's almost the same problem I have with trying to run my emulator. I get the humming, and sometimes the lines, but it locks my XBOX up entirely- and I have to restart it.

And happy 666 posts.
    Last edited by TheDomesticInstitution; 03-09-2008 at 01:27 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheDomesticInstitution View Post
    I would try and use XBMC, but I'm afraid of running out of HD space if I put too many programs on there (a HD upgrade is outta the question with my current skill level- and current computer set-up).
    Ugh, I just realized I was talking about the wrong dash earlier. EvolutionX is the one I used to have before XBMC. Never used UnleashX before but I hear it's pretty good. Just stay way from EvoX. It's horribly outdated and featureless.

If you're worried about HDD space on your Xbox, just install XBMC and then you can network it to your PC's HDD. You can also get a Xbox to USB controller adapter and hook up a USB flash drive or external HDD to it and load files from there. I've never tried running emulators from an external source but I network movies and music to my Xbox all the time from my Mac. Works great.

That's strange about the freeze-up's though. Could be a problem with UnleashX, so trying out XBMC might do you some good.