Insert Coin (Level 0) Dreamcast's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    X_DarkFaction_X

Default Pirating Non-profitable games

I think pirating non-profitable games is okay (but it is still illegal). Pirating games like Wii, Xbox, Xbox 360, PS3 is not okay because the company still profits. I really don't think it's a huge problem. And I really don't care if other people pirate. I really don't think its that bad because when you pirate, the company is not loosing money. If, however, some company still owns the game, then you'd have to pay for it. Not that I'm encouraging this, but I'm saying I don't think its a big factor.

But the question is perhaps if they were not being pirated...Would they have a chance at being profitable?

Whats your take on this?
    Last edited by Dreamcast; 03-08-2008 at 09:40 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As long as someone could make money off the game then it's not OK to do it. Who knows when the IP holder may want to release the game on a compilation, or on Live, or other download services?

There are very few games out there I would guess where the rights holder has released the rights for free use. Clearly now with digital distribution games that were non-profitable are now making money for the people who own the rights -- like PC Engine games, or Neo Geo games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, thanks to creations such as Wii's Virtual Console and to, a lesser degree, XBox Live Arcade, pirating old games has become a grey territory. I usually have no problem pirating them as my ideas are similar (not making any money = should be free), but now these old games are out making money again. I've been thinking it over though, and I still think old games are OK, as they aren't meant to be the Wii's main source of income.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'll never understand why people try and justify piracy. As I've pointed out on these forums and other places a bajillion times - I pirate like crazy. I've been pirating since the Commodore 64 era, and before the word "Warez" even existed. Organized piracy groups I've founded are STILL to this day going strong. (Deviance being the most famous) Yet, I've never felt the need to justify or explain to people what I do or why I do it. It's stealing, and it's illegal.

I simply don't give a fuck. If you are going to be a pirate, man up and stop whining about it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    X_DarkFaction_X

Quote Originally Posted by Mangar View Post
    I'll never understand why people try and justify piracy. As I've pointed out on these forums and other places a bajillion times - I pirate like crazy. I've been pirating since the Commodore 64 era, and before the word "Warez" even existed. Organized piracy groups I've founded are STILL to this day going strong. (Deviance being the most famous) Yet, I've never felt the need to justify or explain to people what I do or why I do it. It's stealing, and it's illegal.

I simply don't give a fuck. If you are going to be a pirate, man up and stop whining about it.
    Im trying to see who would freakout over pirating. I pirate insanely. So much it's probably around $4,000 or more in pirating money.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Fuyukaze008

I've given up trying to argue for or against piracy. You'll do what ever you want and justify it how ever you want. Be it Pac-Man for the 2600 or the newest released RPG on the PS2, pirates generaly just dont care. Why pay for it if you can get it for free? Right? Wrong? Some people wont stop pirating stuff till they have a FBI agent standing over their chair with a gun pointed at them while other agents remove their pirate product.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    X_DarkFaction_X

Quote Originally Posted by Fuyukaze View Post
    I've given up trying to argue for or against piracy. You'll do what ever you want and justify it how ever you want. Be it Pac-Man for the 2600 or the newest released RPG on the PS2, pirates generaly just dont care. Why pay for it if you can get it for free? Right? Wrong? Some people wont stop pirating stuff till they have a FBI agent standing over their chair with a gun pointed at them while other agents remove their pirate product.
    And how long ago did that happen? I download it to try it out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamcast View Post
    I think pirating non-profitable games is okay (but it is still illegal). Pirating games like Wii, Xbox, Xbox 360, PS3 is not okay because the company still profits. I really don't think it's a huge problem. And I really don't care if other people pirate. I really don't think its that bad because when you pirate, the company is not loosing money. If, however, some company still owns the game, then you'd have to pay for it. Not that I'm encouraging this, but I'm saying I don't think its a big factor.
    What is your definition of non-profitable? Even games that haven't been sold for 20+ years are once again appearing on all-in-one joysticks and as virtual downloads. Just because something is currently not profitable doesn't mean it can't again become profitable.

Like Fuyukaze said, arguing about piracy is like arguing about religion. You're never going to change someone's opinion of the subject, just piss them off.

And what the hell does "$4,000 in pirating money" mean? You downloaded a fourth of the NES Rom set? Look out, criminal! *shudder*

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

We've gone down this path many many many times. Fuyukaze is quite correct about this, and we all know how well religious and political topics fair here and this one is no different. If you are really interested in reading up on your fellow gamers thoughts check out THIS thread on this.

I'm going to avoid bringing up the whole pirating and death of your beloved Dreamcast.

**lockerooni**
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog