Thread: Should I get Super Smash Bros Brawl???

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Should I get Super Smash Bros Brawl???

I played the original n64 version of SSB and didn't really care for it. I thought it was a dumbed down version of power stone.

I played the GC version awhile later and didn't really care for that one either. I played it with a friend and he completely wiped the floor with me, he could just keep juggling me midair and it really wasn't much fun. I tried the single player version and had the same problems. It's not that the game is too hard, it just wasn't that fun.

SOOOO.... I want to buy the Wii version. I want to buy it because of all the cool nintendo fan-service like the trophies and unlockable characters and stages and everything. I'm afraid though that I won't like it (just like the other two) and that it'll be a waste of money. I also worry I may just be being influenced by all the hype this game is getting.

I'm looking for some guidance here.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    St Aspartame

Well I honestly think it would be worth it for you to purchase the game. It seems that like you said, the trophies etc will give the game some hefty fan service.

The real kicker, I'd say is this new one player mode they've got going on. It's received some great reviews, and from what I hear functions pretty well on it's own as a game.

Lastly, the way I see it is GS will be giving around $35 in store credit for the game within the first week, so if anything you're only losing about $15.

Btw, good to see you back, c0ldb33r. I was wondering where you had been.
    Welcome to Macintosh.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I didn't particularly care for the N64 version but picked up the Gamecube SSBM a little while back based on the hype that SSBB was getting. Figured I'd check it out to see if maybe the gameplay would appeal to me differently after a few years of playing other stuff. Sadly, I didn't really dig it at all ($20 down the drain!).

Like you, I'm also interested in the Nintendo fanservice though... I'll probably wind up snagging on the cheap in 4 or 5 years to get my fix.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MrRoboto19XX View Post
    Lastly, the way I see it is GS will be giving around $35 in store credit for the game within the first week, so if anything you're only losing about $15.

Btw, good to see you back, c0ldb33r. I was wondering where you had been.
    Good point - and thanks!

Actually instead of returning it to GS, I could probably sell it on kijiji and get almost full price if I don't care for it. And now that I think of it, I've spent full price on bad games before (*I'm looking at you, Super Paper Mario*)

Quote Originally Posted by roushimsx View Post
    Like you, I'm also interested in the Nintendo fanservice though... I'll probably wind up snagging on the cheap in 4 or 5 years to get my fix.
    That's the thing! I never find either of the original 2 versions on the cheap. The n64 version still goes for 25-30 bucks around here, and the GC is up around 40. So for me there's not really any difference getting it on launch day or in two years

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by c0ldb33r View Post
    That's the thing! I never find either of the original 2 versions on the cheap. The n64 version still goes for 25-30 bucks around here, and the GC is up around 40. So for me there's not really any difference getting it on launch day or in two years
    I had to do a little hunting to find it for $20 when I picked it up, but it's doable. Timing is everything, though... if I'd picked it up when it went Player's Choice, I could have gotten it for $20/new without a problem Shame it floated back up to $30/new (and somehow even more used)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I say buy it forthe single player if you did not enjoy the multiplayer. Single player has 100% fan service which any nintendo fan would enjoy. If you getgood enough you can go and kick your friends butt

Visit my YouTube page: Pete's Game Room

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

This game is like the ultimate Nintendo Fan Service. I would recommend checking it out. I am sure that there are some cheap combos, but dang, it looks pretty. Great unlockables as well...heck I am getting it to just unlock Sonic!
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Quote Originally Posted by c0ldb33r View Post
    I played the original n64 version of SSB and didn't really care for it. I thought it was a dumbed down version of power stone.

I played the GC version awhile later and didn't really care for that one either. I played it with a friend and he completely wiped the floor with me, he could just keep juggling me midair and it really wasn't much fun. I tried the single player version and had the same problems. It's not that the game is too hard, it just wasn't that fun.

SOOOO.... I want to buy the Wii version.
    I would say that you shouldn't buy it. After all, all three games are pretty much the same song and dance. If you didn't like the first two, there's no reason why you'd somehow like the third. Just like with No More Heroes, this game is getting a ton of hype because it's something for Wii fans to play that isn't shovelware.