Page 1 of 28 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: RetroDuo NES/SNES Clone Official Thread. Castlevania III, StarFox WORK, SMRPG WARNING

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Cool RetroDuo NES/SNES Clone Official Thread. Castlevania III, StarFox WORK, SMRPG WARNING

OVERVIEW

The RetroDuo is a NOAC / SNESOAC “clone” system developed by INNEX in response to the minor incompatibilities that years of Famicom and Super Famicom clones have proven to produce.

Generally speaking, due to current, ongoing research by myself and others, while some minor incompatibilities have been discovered, the system has proven so far to be compatible to a greater degree than most other clone systems on the market.

HARDWARE / AESTHETICS / VIDEO / AUDIO

The RetroDuo is about 6 inches by 6 inches, and stands approximately 2 inches high. It currently is available in two finishes : black and red, and blue and white, both being mirror finish plastic similar to a Playstation 3.

The NES cartridge slot is in the rear of the unit, and the SNES/Super Famicom cartridge slot is in the front. The unit has a power switch which rests in the OFF position by sitting centered, and powers on the 8-Bit NES games by being pushed up and 16-Bit SNES/Super Famicom by being pushed down. There is also a reset button which has a spring loaded “click” when pressed.

The RetroDuo can run Super Famicom games (which have a different cartridge size/shape than US SNES games) from all regions with NO modifications to the systems hardware. It does not contain any plastic preventing this.

The unit comes with two SNES style controllers (also mirror plastic, which I find to be potentially slippery), and uses standard SNES controller inputs. Compatibility reports from owners show that the unit allows for standard official SNES controllers to be used in place of the included controllers. On SNES games, all buttons are mapped to their correct buttons, and on NES games the B button is mapped to the top-left Y button and the A is mapped to the bottom-left B.

Video output on the unit is standard composite A/V including stereo channels, as well as S-Video. Tests run by myself and other owners have provided the following results:

When using the composite A/V cables for both NES and SNES games, the NES games display with a superior, more “solid” resolution, while SNES games have a slightly lower-than normal resolution, and have been reported to have minor “crawling” artifacts on screen.

When using the S-Video cable for both NES and SNES games, the SNES games display with a much “crisper” resolution, however, the NES games display with minor “resolution tearing” (interspersed pixel color variations).

Neither setup has been proven to be distracting to the point of not being able to play NES or SNES games in their “lower fidelity” resolutions, however, OPTIMAL resolution choices are NES with Composite A/V and SNES with S-Video. Due to the fact that the unit will default to S-Video display if the S-Video is plugged into the unit itself, you will need to unplug the S-Video from the unit when selecting NES games on the RetroDuo.

SEE NES VIDEO COMPARISON PICTURES BELOW

Audio for both NES and SNES appears to have the correct hardware and sound emulation, and while some instrumentation on the NES (notably the MIDI-style percussion) sounds a bit flatter/tinnier than an actual NES, it does not appear to be missing any sound channels.

DP forum Satoshi Matrix has a great tutorial for improving the NES side's audio, check it out here: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/2...tion-tutorial/

The unit is light, as most NES / Famicom clones tend to be.

The pin-sets on both the NES and SNES also appear to be much looser-gripping than most NES and SNES clones typically are, though this has not appeared to cause any issues with gameplay in any of my tests, providing games are clean.

SOFTWARE / HARDWARE COMPATIBILITY

Again, as far as other popular NES / SNES clones on the market go, the list of games that are 100% incompatible is generally small when compared to the complete software library for both systems. However, some of those titles happen to be popular, and highly revered milestones in both systems’ respective library. The Retro Duo does an amicable job of providing higher, near-complete compatibility of the list of titles that are non-compatible on other clones.

The RetroDuo also has proven to be compatible with devices that have given other clone systems trouble, most noteably : The Super Gameboy, as well as the NES Game Genie, and SNES Super Game Genie.

I have successfully run import Famicom games in the NES portion of the unit using a “HoneyBee” style cartridge adapter.

Recent tests run by DP Forum Member RemoWilliams have shown that the RetroDuo is compatible with both the Tototek SNES flash cart AND the www.RetroUSB.com "PowerPak" NES re-writable Flash Rom Multi Cartridge. Due to the unique nature of these products, this is a major mark in the favor of the Retro Duo console.

Through active testing by myself and others, here are a list of noteable games that have been reported “compatible” and/or "incompatible" on RetroDuo systems. (PM me with any updates to the list you have found!)

SPECIAL COMPATIBILITY NOTES/WARNINGS:

SNES "slowdown" reported on certain games : DP forum member and RetroDuo owner Nero99 reports that the SNES game "Demon's Crest" had noticable slow-down in areas containing a large amount of on-screen action while being used on a RetroDuo. This phenomenon was reported to severely impact the quality of gameplay, and was verified by Nero99 as specific to using the cartridge on a RetroDuo console, the same section of the game had no slow-down when used on an actual SNES. I'm awaiting further reports of games that have speed issues on the Duo vs. an actual SNES, and I will test the games in my collection when I have an opportunity.

SUPER MARIO RPG COMPATABILITY WARNING/EXPLANATION : One particular game with a legacy of difficulty in terms of use on not only SNES clone systems, but also in ROM DUMPING, as well as use on OFFICIAL SNES and SUPER FAMICOMS in regions other than the one native to the cartridge is SUPER MARIO RPG. Reports on various internet sites have detailed that this game not only is dependant on a Nintento SA-1 processor chip (resident on the cartridge board) but in the alleged SECOND and THIRD software REVISION contains code that checks for the region-coded “lockout” chip on the SNES/SUPER FAMICOM SYSTEM on which it is playing. Since RetroDuos (as well as other SNES Clone systems) do not contain these region-coded-chips, the ONLY version of Super Mario RPG that is reported (and has been verified via video) as “working” is SOFTWARE V1.0 (which does not contain the region lockout check). I currently do not know any way of verifying which version of Super Mario RPG a cartridge contains.

CURRENT RETRODUO COMPATIBILITY CHART - UPDATED 8/26/2008

FAMICOM (OFFICIAL & PIRATE)

Compatible
    • Famicom 100-in-1 multicart (HK Pirate Cart) – (Game menu displayed on NTSC display with rolling effect as if it were in PAL, but once any game was selected, it reverted to correct display, did not interfere with cartridge being “compatible”.)
    • Famicom Super Mario Brothers 2 (Famicom Disk Dump to HK Pirate Cart)
    • Famicom F1-Race (HK Pirate Cart)
    • Famicom Super Baby (HK Pirate Cart)

Incompatible
    • Famicom Disk System Hardware (Opening "Disk Set" screen scrambled, games do not communicate with the RAM adapter properly.)

NES OFFICIAL

Compatible
    • Castlevania III Dracula’s Curse (Verified working on video)
    • Gauntlet - Black Tengen Version (Verified working on video)
    • Chiller (Verified working on video)
    • Pacmania (Verified working on video)
    • Klax (Verified working on video)
    • Batman 1 (Verified working on video)
    • Startropics 1 & 2 (Verified working on video)
    • Adv. of Bayou Billy (Verified working on video)
    • Bible Adventures (Verified working on video)
    • Sunday Funday (Verified working on video)
    • Quattro Adventure - all games (Verified working on video)
    • Journey to Silius (Verified working on video)
    • Gilligan's Island (Verified working on video)
    • Tecmo World Cup Soccer (Verified working on video)

Incompatible
    • Rolling Thunder (Verified incompatibile on video)
    • 720 (Reported)
    • Battletoads (Verified, hangs after level 2)
    • Paperboy (Verified)

NES REPRO/PIRATE

Compatible
    • PowerPak FLASH ROM CART FROM RETROUSB.COM
    • Vs. The Gonies REPRO CART FROM VIDEO GAME KINGDOM
    • NWC 1990 REPRO CART FROM RETROUSB.COM
    • California Rasins REPRO CART
    • Earthbound Zero REPRO CART
    • Drac’s Night Out REPRO CART

SNES OFFICIAL

Compatible
    • Star Fox
    • Stunt Race FX
    • Super Mario RPG (Software Version 1.0)
    • Chrono Trigger
    • Donkey Kong Country
    • Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
    • Earthbound
    • Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
    • Mega Man Soccer
    • Mega Man X
    • Super Mario Kart
    • Super Mario World (MINOR audio issues reported)
    • Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
    • Super Metroid
    • Super R-Type
    • Killer Instinct
    • Super Mario All-Stars
    • Final Fantasy III USA
    • Final Fantasy II USA

Incompatible
    • Kirby Superstars (Reported incompatible)
    • Super Mario RPG (Softwave Revisions 1.2, 1.3)
    • Demon's Crest (Plays, but noticable slow-down in areas containing a lot of on-screen activity.)
    • Batman Returns (PAL VERSION)

SNES REPRO/PIRATE

Compatible
    • Dragon Quest V REPRO CART
    • SNES 7-in-1 Multicart (HK Pirate Cart)

SUPER FAMICOM OFFICIAL

Compatible
    • Super Mario World Famicom PAL (some graphical glitches reported)
    • Final Fantasy VI

Incompatible
    • Terranigma (Reported incompatible, not yet verified, suspected due to region lockout checks, similar to Super Mario RPG.)

Here are some video reviews I made, if you are interested in seeing the unit in action.

RetroDuo Review Part 1

RetroDuo Review Part 2

RetroDuo NES Stress Test Part 1 (LIVE at the Digital Press Store March 2008!)

RetroDuo NES Stress Test Part 2 (LIVE at the Digital Press Store March 2008!)

Here are the NES MODE S-VIDEO/AV comparison shots. Low light used to avoid the camera flash washing out the screen.

Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 07-19-2011 at 07:05 PM. Reason: Updated compatability charts 8/26/08
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Aside from the terrible "RetroDuo" logo, the unit is actually pretty...PRETTY!

Let me say that again: I've finally seen a good-looking Famiclone.

It's a shame it doesn't seem to accept regular Genesis controllers - sure, you'd go with SNES if you had to make that choice (as they did), but the SNES controller just ain't a Genesis controller, shoulder buttons or not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Not only is it pretty, it has the official "Digital Press" colors!
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Insert Coin (Level 0) The Old School Gamer's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Looks great, I'll have to pick one up. I've been waiting for a clone that could play Castlevania 3.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Bet those trails you were seeing were a result of your LCD screen and not the system. Hard to say though, I know every LCD screen I've ever used anywhere has some slight blurring.

How come everything looks sort of distorted on the videos, are you stretching stuff to fill a widescreen display?
    Last edited by Leo_A; 03-09-2008 at 03:20 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post
    Bet those trails you were seeing were a result of your LCD screen and not the system. Hard to say though, I know every LCD screen I've ever used anywhere has some slight blurring.

How come everything looks sort of distorted on the videos, are you stretching stuff to fill a widescreen display?
    Yeah, I play my 4:3 systems on my 16:9 screen in "full" mode.

I'm used to it ... the side "black bars" are more distracting to me than the minor stretching (that I don't even notice anymore).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mar 626

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    Most of you know that I'm a Famiclone junkie ... no matter how many I have, I always want the next size, shape, and/or style variation.

Super tiny Yobo unit? I want it.
    NOAC in a Dreamcast Controller shell? I want it.
    Shaped like a PS1? I want it.
    Shaped like a Penguin? I want it.
    Half NES half Genesis? You get the picture.

Just got my RetroDuo in the mail today ... and hot damn am I impressed.

I know that Yobo FINALLY updated their NOAC/SNES hardware sometime last year with the NES/SNES "FC Dual" (not the FC Twin) system to correctly play games like Castlevania III and Star Fox ... and as excited as I was at the prospect of a dual clone that could play Castlevania III (and likely a lot of other games more accurately) they never seemed to make their way onto eBay.

(THOUGH some web reviews claim that the FC dual has sub-par controllers and very short controller cords.)

So, now then, ENTER THE RETRO DUO!

Developer/importer INNEX is behind the Retro Duo, and I'm pleased to say that it's pretty damned nice for a dual clone system. (I've read reports online that it's got identical guts to the FC Dual ... and some that say that it doesn't...either way, it seems to be making it's way into the US faster and easier than the Dual, so it was the one I got.)

Here's some pertinent things that I've noticed about the system so far.

• It's well boxed, includes 2 SNES style controllers, an AC adapter (which has a VERY short cord, about 3 feet) and a set of AV/S-Video cables.
    • It has both AV and S-Video output (though only the SNES software outputs correctly in S-Video).
    • It's slightly smaller than the Yobo FC Twin, and rests completely flat on a table.
    • It's as light (almost "flimsy" feeling) as most Famiclones tend to be.
    • It's mirror-finish plastic ... and while I ORDERED the WHITE one, the eBay seller sent me the BLACK one. Yuck. Fingerprints and dust.
    • The controllers are the same shiny plastic, so if your hands tend to sweat when you play an intense game of Super Mario 2 or Street Fighter 2 Turbo ... be careful that they don't slip right out of your hands. (Thankfully it accepts standard SNES controller inputs ... including the Messiah wireless set!)

COMPATIBILITY : Literally every single thing I threw in the thing worked.

• Castlevania III and Starfox work perfectly. (Along with every other game I tried.)
    • NES games have visually solid graphics output (I played it on a 50 inch LCD) ... I noticed some strange "trails" in games like Arkanoid but no " pixel scrambling" or incorrect color palettes in anything.
    • The audio on NES games seems pretty good ... I'm betting that they managed to emulate all of the sound channels and midi instrumentation properly ... or MUCH better than the older NOACs.
    • It had a bit of trouble with a Famicom HK Multicart with Honey Bee adapter on the "menu" screen ... it rolled around like it had PAL output ... it didn't crash the system and I could see the menu okay, and once I selected a game off the menu and it booted the ROM it was fine.
    • SNES games all look and sound great, runs Star Fox like a freaking charm!
    • It even accepted the Super Gameboy AND my 64MB Gameboy Bung Flash Cartridge!

Seriously, everything I had and tried - WORKED!

If you don't already own a dual NES/SNES clone, this is the one to get IMO.

Nice product, nice aesthetic design ... and VERY good compatibility.

I'll bring it down to the next NAVA and we can all mess around with it.

Here are some video reviews I made (sorry for the Cloverfield camera action in the first minute, my tripod couldn't get a good shot of the box from the table).

RetroDuo Review Part 1

RetroDuo Review Part 2

And here are some pictures!

Thanks for caring!

You son of a *censored*! You stole my spot light. I myself was just about to put up my revew of the Retro Duo! I even stated it in the thread i started! god dangit!! pyche!!!! I dont care its not like you were all like " Oh that guys doin a review for Retro Duo . Im gonna do one first!" pretty good review of it any ways. Im still gonna put my review of it up. Good work Frankie!!
    Tifa, I'm not fit to help anyone, not my family, not my freinds, no one..... (Cloud)

Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
    Final Fantasy 7

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

, sorry Nero!

I searched the forums this afternoon but didn't see any full reviews, and I didn't catch your post in your thread that you were about to do one yourself ... didn't mean to steal your thunder.

Was there anything you noticed about yours that I didn't elaborate on in my review?

Insert Coin (Level 0) sharkbates's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Do you have the messiah wireless SNES controllers? If so, did you try them out with the RetroDuo? How did they work?

thanks

Insert Coin (Level 0) sharkbates's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Also, this was in another thread:

To make a long story short, it works decently as long as I run NES carts through composite and SNES ones through S-video. Kind of a pain.

Has this been an issue? Is it necessary to swap input cables or can I play both NES/SNES carts hooked up composite??

thanks again

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Thanks a lot Frankie!!! I have been curious about this clone for some time and didn't know if the rumors were true about it playing Castlevania III. I'm happy to see that it does.

I almost bought an FC Twin a whileback. Thankfully the place I went to buy it had had one on display. While the SNES looked and sounded good the NES sounded terrible. They had the first Super Mario Bros. setup to play and the music sounded completely different.

So I wanted to ask... When playing SMB 1 is the NES sound on the Retro Duo better than the NES sound on the FC Twin? If so... then that seals the deal and i'm buying one.

All in all that was an excellent review. Answered everything els I needed to know.
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Composite should be able to do both.

And I haven't tried it, but I think you should be able to have composite and s-video hooked up simultaneousily, and you can just select which input you desire on your television, depending on the system. I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mar 626

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    , sorry Nero!

I searched the forums this afternoon but didn't see any full reviews, and I didn't catch your post in your thread that you were about to do one yourself ... didn't mean to steal your thunder.

Was there anything you noticed about yours that I didn't elaborate on in my review?
    naw you said everything I woudof said. i was waiting for my freind to fix his camera before I did it. oh well when i do mine ill have to go all angry video game nerdhahahaha!
    Tifa, I'm not fit to help anyone, not my family, not my freinds, no one..... (Cloud)

Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
    Final Fantasy 7

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

ANSWERS MOVED TO 1st POST!
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 03-10-2008 at 08:11 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) debian4life's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Where did you get yours? Do you have a reliable vendor for these?

Regards,

Brian

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

I got mine off eBay. The seller shipped it quickly and inexpensively and packed it well (though they sent me the wrong color).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=230227857755

Last time I checked they appeared to have a few left...and they don't seem to be in shortage if you do an eBay search for "RetroDuo".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Thanks for the review Frankie! This looks like a winner to me!

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Does the Retro Duo play Famicom & Super Famicom games as well? If not, have you tried a Honey Bee Converter for Famicom?
    #vbender

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Wow! I think that re/black scheme is nice! Good way to combine systems.
    Strangely for some weird reason I like the idea of playing original games on real hardware but anything other than the original hardware, of course I just like to be different as it's a good conversation starter!
    My DP Refs MaximumRD Classic Gaming and Computing Me in a Nutshell (NOT LITERALLY!) http://about.me/maximumrd
    WHERE DID THEIR HAIR GO?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by GrandAmChandler View Post
    Does the Retro Duo play Famicom & Super Famicom games as well? If not, have you tried a Honey Bee Converter for Famicom?
    It plays them with a Honeybee converter.

As I stated in my review and showed in the video, the multicart I have gave me a bit of trouble on the menu screen (it looked like it was displaying in PAL on an NTSC set) but once I got to the actual ROMS it was fine.

I also tested Famicom copies (all HK pirates I think) of single game carts - F1 Race, Super Baby (?), and Super Mario 2 JAP with the adapter and they worked fine.
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 03-10-2008 at 08:57 AM.