Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 152122232425262728 LastLast

Thread: RetroDuo NES/SNES Clone Official Thread. Castlevania III, StarFox WORK, SMRPG WARNING

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    I'll gladly buy one, but can anyone address my questions?
    Sure I don't know all the answer since it's kinda technical stuff.

1. Yes , but it look worst than that of composite. so you better stick to composite for NES. S-video do look a lot better when use to output SNES.

2.I have some low res-picture that I took before I did the audio mod in my pc will post some when I find it.

4. No , the game will work but no expansion sound. I tried Madara , Crisis Force , Drakular 3 and Esperdream they all work but no extrachennel for audio only normal audio.

5. You can easy mod NES controller to work with Retro Duo, just have to swap few wire color.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Hey guys, I've got another question. I see some people have modded the Retro Duo removing the NES section and leaving it as a standlone SNES for portables. I'd like to do the opposite;

Can I remove the NES daughterboard and set it up as a standalone Famiclone? I take it it shares controller data lines with the SNES main board as well as the power switch, but is that all? I've looked over pics of the boards and can't seem to find a 7805 voltage regulator anywhere. how can that be?
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Come to think of it, I'm not sure if it's the pin converter that make the extra sound from VRC6+ disappear since it the cheapest converter I could find or is it the Retro Duo itself.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

The audio output lines from Famicom games pass through unused pins on the NES, and so most adapters don't carry the signals. If the Retro Duo is capable of outputting expansion audio, then the problem is your adapter.

Do mod a NES to Famicom 72 to 60 pin adapter for expansion audio, you need to solder in a .001 uf capacitor and a 47k resistor. The first thing is to bridge Famicom pins 45 and 46 together as they both carry cartridge audio. Then, lead them to one of the NES pins which I've not figured out which yet. Either pin 18 or 19.

When I get my Retro Duo, I'll be sure to find out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I don't know what you saw in this thread, but the sounds from the NOAC still sound very incorrect on the RetroDuo. And the s-video output doesn't really work on the NES side if you want a decent picture. It only works in the sense that something is able to be displayed on the screen when using s-video on the NES side.

You'd get pretty much the same thing buying the factory produced NOAC portables already available on the market.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well , Retro Duo audio is 90% correct if you do the audio mod. Unlike the other NOAC. I know because I own Retro Duo , Retron3 and 2 more clone from 90s.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Alright, so today I got my Retro Duo. I'm a little disappointed that mine sadly, wont play Rolling Thunder OR the Powerpak.

Mine's black and silver. What gives? I thought this was the new one? Maybe I have an stock?

I guess I'll have to to try and get another one....

anyone know of a seller that's guaranteed to have the newer ones?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I got a question

When I play my repro Super Mario Bros. 2 (J) with my Game Genie in my NES it plays fine, But in my Retro Duo(Black & Red Model) it crashes when the Game & GG in there

Super Mario Bros. 2 (J) plays fine in my Retro Duo..

In Super Mario All Stars on the SNES Side..I can't switch Controls on Type A or B..it's keep's on going back to Type B
    Last edited by MarioMania; 04-07-2011 at 05:54 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

I feel I should add this to this epic thread for those who still don't own a Retro Duo and want to listen to me talk about it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDJBY9PWqTk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

let me shoehorn this one in too. Here's a followup to the Retro Duo review where I should even more games, plus a way you can get version 1.1 of Mario RPG to run on the Retro Duo!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDJBY9PWqTk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Controller problems

This seemed like the appropriate place to post this, so here goes.

I have a silver/black RetroDuo that I have noticed a rather unusual quirk with. For some odd reason, if I plug in a classic SNES controller (the standard type that came shipped with the SNES) into one port, and an SN ProPad controller into the other port, I experience what I can only describe as a "hardware conflict." Whatever game I play with this controller configuation seems to react quite oddly. Often, button presses are "switched," some buttons do not function at all, others may fire randomly of their own accord. In one scenario (playing Super Mario World) the SN ProPad controller in slot 2 actually overrode the commands of the classic controller in slot one. I could literally play both players (port 1 and port 2) from just port 2 with the ProPad.

(A google image search for "sn propad" will quickly show the controller in question.)

Just so I'm clear, here's a specific rundown of controller functionality on my RetroDuo, from the controllers I have available to test with:

Classic SNES controller, only controller plugged in - Works Fine
    SN ProPad controller, only controller plugged in - Works Fine
    RetroDuo controller, only controller plugged in - Works Fine
    Classic SNES controller + Classic SNES controller - Works Fine
    RetroDuo controller + RetroDuo controller - Works Fine
    Classic SNES controller + RetroDuo controller - Works Fine
    RetroDuo controller + SN ProPad controller - Works Fine
    Classic SNES controller + SN ProPad controller - Hardware Conflict

I have had no problems using any controller combination on my classic SNES.

My google-fu pulled this old thread up, but I can't say for certain if it's a related issue: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=146166

My instinct tells me the combination of the ProPad's architecture and the RetroDuo's architecture is clashing somehow, perhaps the common controller ground combined with SNES controller + RetroDuo signal oversensitivity. But honestly, I really don't know... I can only make wild guesses at this point.

If there's anyone else out there who can test or confirm this issue, I'd appreciate it. Until then, I figure there's no harm reporting my issue as a heads-up for others.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Does it matter which controller is in which port?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

That sounds like a problem with the how the third party controller was designed. I'd simply suggest not using it.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Mnemonic View Post
    This seemed like the appropriate place to post this, so here goes.

I have a silver/black RetroDuo that I have noticed a rather unusual quirk with. For some odd reason, if I plug in a classic SNES controller (the standard type that came shipped with the SNES) into one port, and an SN ProPad controller into the other port, I experience what I can only describe as a "hardware conflict."
    The ProPad is the one with the individual turbo settings for each button, no?

While I don't know what would cause the problem, it looks like you've diagnosed the functionality (in terms of what problems it causes) well enough, good info to add to the knowledge base.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    Does it matter which controller is in which port?
    Nope, doesn't matter which controller is in which port.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    The ProPad is the one with the individual turbo settings for each button, no?

While I don't know what would cause the problem, it looks like you've diagnosed the functionality (in terms of what problems it causes) well enough, good info to add to the knowledge base.
    Well, I hope it's an isolated occurence (for the sake of others). Still, I figured no harm mentioning it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It may just be drawing too much power and dropping the voltage elsewhere in the console, causing the malfunction. By itself, it's not a problem, but an official pad being connected is enough to push it over the threshold.
    I would imagine that the pack-in controllers that come with it use even less power than the official SNES pads, since they're using more modern components.

Strawberry (Level 2) FrankSerpico's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey, fellow NES clone players. I just picked up a Yobo FC Game Console at Goodwill for 5 bucks. Unfortunately, it came without the pack-in av cables and I'm having some trouble getting it to work with some generic av cables from around the house. Anyone else have any experience with this particular clone?

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Okay, issue here. I have Super Mario RPG, and it does not work in my Retro Duo. It has no "A" on the back, it just has "08". Doesn't this mean it is version 1.0 and should work?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Cloud121D
    PSN
    Cloud121
    Steam
    Cloud121D

Nevermind. I actually mistook this for the RetroN3 thread. Gonna go try to find that thread now.
    My Game Collection
    "I am only what you see me as." - Obsidian Rose

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I was playing the Retro Duo a few nights ago...I found out I needed the V2 Game Genie to work right, The V1 Game Genie doesn't work well

On the V1 GG, you have to keep entering code everytime you reset