Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 17232425262728 LastLast

Thread: RetroDuo NES/SNES Clone Official Thread. Castlevania III, StarFox WORK, SMRPG WARNING

Insert Coin (Level 0) ZombieRyushu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Correcting the S-video issue in the NES Side?

Is there a way to correct the bad signal in the NES side when S-Video is used?

Insert Coin (Level 0) ZombieRyushu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Genesis Adapters for Retro Duo use their own AV cables.

The RetroGen adapter for the Retro Duo doesn't pass its video into the RetroDuo, At least not the v2.0. You have to use the supplied A/V cable. Which is garbage. Composite A/V Cables connect to the cart. The RetroGen Adapter seems to pass video only into the RetroDuo Portable. And maybe even in the RetroDuo v3.0, but I can't say for sure. This is unacceptable. There's no way to mix the video out of the converter within the Super NES itself. Are there any Genny adapters that Don't work this way for the Retro Duo?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by ZombieRyushu View Post
    Is there a way to correct the bad signal in the NES side when S-Video is used?
    What are you talking about? NOACs are completely incapable of producing S-video to begin with. The RetroDuo feeds a composite video signal through the S-video line in order to prevent a black screen. How your tv interrupts this varies. Some TVs will produce a black and white image, while others will display it perfectly fine. If you're getting some sort of weird results, that's your TV's fault. Use composite video only then.

Quote Originally Posted by ZombieRyushu View Post
    The RetroGen adapter for the Retro Duo doesn't pass its video into the RetroDuo, At least not the v2.0. You have to use the supplied A/V cable. Which is garbage. Composite A/V Cables connect to the cart. The RetroGen Adapter seems to pass video only into the RetroDuo Portable. And maybe even in the RetroDuo v3.0, but I can't say for sure. This is unacceptable. There's no way to mix the video out of the converter within the Super NES itself. Are there any Genny adapters that Don't work this way for the Retro Duo?
    *Sigh*. This isn't a fault of the RetroGen. The SNES hardware has no video output pin in the cartridge port. It was never designed to output a video signal from anywhere but its own PPU. The RetroGen doesn't (and can't) use the SNES motherboard for anything other than power and control signal inputs, both which are mapped in the cartridge port.

Clones like the RetroDuo are based on the original hardware. Therefore, no, the RetroGen does not pass video directly through the RetroDuo or any other SNES, clone or otherwise. Only the RetroDuo Portable has been designed to do this in order to display a singal to its internal LCD. How you find this "unacceptable" is baffling - If the video signal were somehow routed through the RD's internal video output, it would degrade, and still not work with S-video.

The RetroGen produces a vivid composite video output that far exceeds the original Genesis hardware. The reason for that IS because it comes with a cable that plugs directly from its outputs maximizes the quality you'd get there is no pathway degradation because the RetroGen AV cable is tapping the source of the signal. It's a brilliant design.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'm bumping this back

How does the Super 8 Adapter compere to the Retro Duo with the NES Mod??

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question Power concerns

A new power adapter might fix the video issues? I have not just static strips, but really awful looking video all around in my retro duo 3.0. I can find all sorts of 5V/1A adapters with unknown polarity. I also can find universal adapters, but every single one of those has 4.5V, 6V, but not 5V. For those, polarity is a non-issue because of the switchable tips. Does anyone know if:

1) There is a specific 5V and 600+mA adapter that would have the right (center positive) polarity?
    2) 4.5V would be enough to power the RD?
    3) If 6V would be too much/damage the console (keeping in mind it doesn't have a voltage regulator)

Thanks.

Edit: Also, does anyone know what the measurement/size of the power connector going into the RD is? I think I might have found my AC adapter.

Edit: I found a replacement AC adapter, and will report back.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace View Post
    RetroDuo is still the way to go. It's got a better NOAC than the RetroN3. The RetroDuo's got the accurate(despite heavily distorted sound that can be fixed) NOAC and is still one of, if not THE ONLY modern-day Famiclone that will work with problem games like Castlevania III and Rad Racer II, just to name a few. Just one thing: trash the power supply it comes with and get yourself another 5V power supply that's got center positive polarity and can output AT LEAST 600mA. I recently discovered that the reason why the RetroDuo has a tendency to display static interference on the Super NES side in both Composite and S-Video, as well as display static interference when playing NES games in S-Video, is because RetroBit's power supply is s***. I tried to use it on one of the very early Namco Plug and Play made by Jakks Pacific, the one made in 2003 to be more precise, while I was figuring out how to mod the thing to work with a power supply rather than batteries, and I got the exact same static interference on the Plug and Play just like on the RetroDuo, but to a MUCH worse extent, so there's some filtering going on in the RetroDuo, but it's clearly not enough. So it looks like we've got 2 options to fix this problem:

1) Replace RetroBit's 5V power supply with a different 5V power supply
    2) Modify the system to work off a 9V to 12V power supply by adding a 7805 voltage regulator(I think I'll do this with my RetroDuo)
    3) *possibly* replace a capacitor on the 5V input with a much stronger capacitor of about 1000uF or so, maybe even bigger. I believe RetroBit uses a 220uF capacitor to try and clean up the 5V signal, but it's too weak. I had similar problems with my Jakks Pacific Plug and Play with no capacitors on the power supply input(this was before I decided to make it run off a 10V power supply using a 7805 to bring down the voltage) where I'd get thick white horizontal lines that scroll down the screen in the exact same fashion as the RetroDuo's static strips. Using a 470uF capacitor made the lines less visible on the Plug and Play, but they were still there, so theoretically speaking, it COULD very well work the same way on the RetroDuo.

I'll report back once I go ahead and either change my RetroDuo's power supply, add in a 7805 or change the capacitor on the power input.
    Last edited by sageru; 10-26-2012 at 07:36 PM.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Since it keeps coming up in clone threads, from my experience with the Tri Star Super-8, it is a very solid Famicom clone BUT (and it's a big but) since it emulates Famicom controller port hardware, any US NES game that requires player 2 to press start or select is borked since Famicom has no start or select on the 2 player controller.

Seems like it's not a big deal, but there are quite a few games that suffer to a level of incompatibility because of that.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

What Games are like that in 2 Player Mode, Got a list?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't think there's a list, but if a game is developed by a Japanese developer (such as Capcom, Konami, Nintendo) there isn't a need for player 2 to press start or select ever... as those would have originally been released on the Famicom. Almost all the good NES games fall into this category, except a few. If you see a multiplayer-centric game that was developed/published by a western developer, just look into it. Chances are it doesn't require player 2 to press start, hardly any games do.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarioMania View Post

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Retro Duo SNES video issues

Switching the AC adapter is confirmed NOT working for the 3.0 Retro Duo. My Retro Duo is nearly useless after spending $15 extra on a power cord.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Super Mario RPG

These version numbers, do they apply over all regions for Super Mario RPG or just american ntsc usa releases....wondering if other countries like japan and europe had these versions also.....

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by MarioMania View Post
    I don't have a comprehensive list but its stuff that's really disappointing when you discover it.

Like, not being able to join or continue mid game in Contra.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just saw a Youtube video that I found something interesting about SMRPG people.....some gal has a video up about SMRPG and running with her FC Twin and she tried two versions of the game and noticed a difference.....the one that says Made in Mexico she guesses was a 1.1 version and not working on her system and the one in Japan was a 1.0 version and working on her FC Twin.....anyone who has tried finding a SMRPG cart and got it to work or not, have they noticed where it was made.....Maybe the early versions were all made in Japan and the revisions made in Mexico.....just a theory though....

JUST READ, This may not necessarily be the case on a thread on here.....oh, well....thought I had something...
    Last edited by nj7; 11-02-2012 at 09:42 PM.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

One trick which is very timing-sensitive, but does work on (all?) versions of Super Mario RPG that check for a lockout chip is one found by Satoshi_Matrix. The trick involves turning on the RetroDuo with an NES game inserted in the NES slot for 5 seconds, then immediately switching over to the Super NES side. If you get the timing right, this will work every time. What I do for this is to use Life Force; I turn on the RetroDuo with that game inserted in the NES slot, then as soon as the title screen disappears, I turn on the Super NES side.

Just so you know, this copy of Super Mario RPG is a Japanese Super Famicom version. Works fine on original hardware, but has a very hard time running on Super Famiclones (conclusion: it checks for a lockout chip).

Later today, I will share my experience with the RetroDuo v3.0 since I acquired one after having been bitterly disappointed with the RetroN2 (I pretty much think of this thing as an overpriced FC Twin with NES controller ports and S-Video because compatibility is no better than the FC Twin, though you can use NES controllers without needing a controller adapter, you have S-Video which works very badly and might explain why the RetroN2 doesn't even come with an S-Video cable, and the NES video is better, but the rest is either the same or worse than the FC Twin).

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ace View Post
    Say, does anyone get some nasty video interference with the Super NES side of their RetroDuo? Basically, what I'm getting are 2 thick strips of static that scroll from the top of the screen down. I've been trying all sorts of different methods to get rid of that damn static: split the Super NES and NES video signals, re-route some Ground signals(supposedly, there's some kind of Ground loop in the system), even going as far as to change the Super NES Composite and S-Video amps to match the KA2198BD's datasheet. And I still have the static! Now, here comes the strange part: I changed the Super NES side's PAL/NTSC jumper into the PAL position(well, not quite; I just left the jumper pad with no voltage applied to it), and while I did manage to screw up the RetroDuo's RGB outputs from the TCT-976 chip(removed 3 resistors I wasn't supposed to), when I bring up the brightness on my TV, I don't see those static strips anymore. But as soon as I solder that jumper pad to Ground, the static comes back. This makes me wonder: was the system maybe designed to be a PAL-based NES/Super NES 2-in-1 clone?

Has anyone had these interference problems with their RetroDuo's Super NES side, and if so, have you figured out the definitive way to get rid of them while keeping the Super NES side running in NTSC?

EDIT: I've replaced the resistors I removed, and I can definitely confirm that when the RetroDuo's Super NES board is set to run in PAL, the static is gone. Solder the PAL/NTSC jumper to Ground, and the interference returns. What the hell?

By the way, this is my RetroDuo model(same paint job): http://imgs.inkfrog.com/pix/gamedepo...uo_white_2.jpg
    I got the same issue you describe as a static line going down from the top of the tv to the bottom, mostly noticeable on a black background.....all I did was adjust the contrast on my tv and it faded to where you really don't notice it, I don't know if this is a bug with the retro duo's hardware or what, tried S-video and composite, they both do the same, tried a different cable....same....

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nj7 View Post
    I got the same issue you describe as a static line going down from the top of the tv to the bottom, mostly noticeable on a black background.....all I did was adjust the contrast on my tv and it faded to where you really don't notice it, I don't know if this is a bug with the retro duo's hardware or what, tried S-video and composite, they both do the same, tried a different cable....same....
    It appears to be a power supply issue causing the lines. I swapped out my RetroDuo v2.0's power supply for a modified DC 5V power supply my LG external DVD drive came with and the lines disappeared. My RetroDuo v3.0's power supply doesn't cause lines, either, but it does make a very obnoxious squealing noise whenever the console is powered on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Quote Originally Posted by nj7 View Post
    These version numbers, do they apply over all regions for Super Mario RPG or just american ntsc usa releases....wondering if other countries like japan and europe had these versions also.....
    Super Mario RPG wasn't released for the europe snes.
    Lum fan.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lanf View Post
    Here is a list of games I tested with my brand new RetroDuo:

NES (US)

1943: Works (but sound issues)
    Astyanax: Works
    Batman: Works
    Bayou Billy: Works
    Bionic Commando: Works
    Captain Skyhawk: Works
    Castlevania 2: Works (but sound issues)
    Commando: Works
    Double Dragon: Works (but sound issues)
    Double Dragon 3: Works (but sound issues)
    Dr Mario: Works (with very slight sound unbalance)
    Dragon Spirit: Works
    Dragon Warrior: Works
    Fast Break: Works
    Gauntlet: Works
    Gold Medal Challenge 92: Works
    Golgo 13: Works
    Kirby's Adventure: Works
    Kung Fu: Works
    Metroid: Works (but sound issues)
    Mickey Mousecapade: Works
    Ninja Gaiden: Works (but sound issues)
    Ninja Gaiden 2: Works (but sound issues)
    Pro Wrestling: Works
    Rad Racer: Works
    Rad Racer 2: Works
    RC Pro-Am: Works
    Shinobi (Tengen): Works
    Spy Hunter: Works
    Super C: Works (but sound issues)
    Super Mario Bros 2: Works (but sound issues)
    Super Mario Bros 3: Works (but sound issues)
    Tag Team Wrestling: Works
    Tecmo World Wrestling: Works
    Tetris: Works
    Tetris 2: Works
    TMNT: Works (but sound issues)
    TMNT 2 - Arcade Game: Works (but sound issues)
    TMNT 3 - Manhattan Project : Works (but sound issues)
    Track & Field 2: Works
    Vice: Project Doom: Works
    Willow: Works
    Wizards & Warriors: Works (with minor sound issues)
    Wizards & Warriors 2 - IronSword: Works (with minor sound issues)
    World Class Track Meet: Works

SNES (US)

Super Tennis: Works
    Super Street Fighter 2: Works
    Capcom's Soccer Shoot Out: Works
    Nigel Mansel: Works
    Super Castlevania 4: Works
    Street Fighter 2: Works
    Axelay: Works
    Pilot Wings: Works
    F-Zero: Works
    Drakkhen: Works
    NBA Showdown: Works
    Super Mario World: Works

Conclusion:

It appears that the NES side of the RetroDuo has a problem with the reproduction of sound. Indeed, the bass are much louder than the trebble and some audio is not played at all (i.e. Ninja Gaiden, Castlevania 2 ...).
    This is very sad!

I hope that, somehow, there will be a fix of some kind...

Cheers
    Just wondering the guy who posted this, does the ones marked as works basically work with decent sound.....looking for a few titles that work with decent sound that don't suffer too much distortion if at all possible........

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default My RetroDuo Compatibility List....

Here is my compatibility list for a stock RetroDuo 3.0 mascot edition, I know it's not much right now but just collecting carts to test at a nice steady rate....will update this post when I get something new to add, pretty much if there is no note it works perfectly, if there is any issues will be put into ()....

NES

Nintendo (NTSC-USA)
    Baseball
    Double Dribble
    Dr. Mario (audio unbalanced, slightly off)
    Dragon Warrior
    Golf
    John Elway's Quarterback
    Kings of the Beach - Professional Beach Volleyball (sound issues)
    Legacy of the Wizard
    NES Play Action Football
    Pinball
    R.C. Pro-Am
    Rad Racer
    Super Mario Bros. (sound issues)
    Top Gun

SNES

Super Nintendo (NTSC-USA)
    Donkey Kong Country
    Donkey Kong Country 2 - Diddy's Kong Quest
    F-Zero
    Sim City
    Star Fox
    Super Mario Kart
    Super Mario World

Super Famicom (NTSC-JAPAN)
    Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon
    Dragon Ball Z - Super Butouden

Also picked up a Retro Entertainment System for comparison and here is the compatibility for that....

NES

Nintendo (NTSC-USA)
    Baseball
    Double Dribble (sound issues)
    Dr. Mario
    Dragon Warrior
    Golf
    John Elway's Quarterback
    Kings of the Beach - Professional Beach Volleyball
    Legacy of the Wizard
    NES Play Action Football (sound issues)
    Pinball
    R.C. Pro-Am
    Rad Racer
    Super Mario Bros. (pallet issue, purple sky)
    Top Gun
    Last edited by nj7; 11-27-2012 at 01:19 PM. Reason: New NES Games Tested and Also On Another NES Clone System

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I been testing NES Controllers on the Retro Duo

Super 8/Retro Duo NES to SNES Adaptor compatibility list

incompatible

Doom
    Robocop vs Terminator
    Donkey Kong Country Series
    Mega Man X Series
    F-Zero - Could selete your car, But can't go anywhere
    Super Street Fighter 2
    Street Fighter Alpha 2
    Super Game Boy
    Super Mario All Stars - Works, But when you try to start a game it will boot you back to the Main Title Screen - It won't matter if you start the game with a SNES Pad then go to the Adapter
    Tetris & Dr. Mario - Device Screen pops up
    NBA Jam T.E - Device Screen pops up

compatible

Super Mario World - Works Mario is running except waking
    Zelda A Link to the Past - Missing the X Button for the Map
    Space Invaders - Plug in a SNES Pad to add credits - take it out and plug the adapter in
    Super Mario Kart
    Street Fighter 2/Street Fighter 2 Turbo - Try to play this on Hard with only 2 buttons

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A note to those of you who want to attempt the NES audio fix on the RetroDuo v3.0: its NES board is 99.9% unchanged (the only difference is it's colored blue instead of green), so you would have to apply the same 2.2Kohm resistor and 0.1uF capacitor at the same points you would on a RetroDuo v2.0.

Even the Super NES board has hardly changed. The only really big difference is the presence of the updated reduced-size TCT-970 series Super NES clone chipset. However, the S-Video circuit appears to be a little different as the video is a lot brighter than it was on the RetroDuo v2.0.

One thing, though: RetroBit should change the op-amp used on the Super NES audio amp as it does induce a light hiss on loud games. There's an LM358 dual op-amp on the audio circuit which really should be replaced by a TL072 or any op-amp with a greater unity-gain bandwidth than 1MHz. That's the unity-gain bandwidth of the LM358, which is not quite adequate for the audio out of the clone SPC700.
    Last edited by Ace; 01-19-2013 at 12:01 PM.