Page 21 of 28 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: RetroDuo NES/SNES Clone Official Thread. Castlevania III, StarFox WORK, SMRPG WARNING

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The RetroDuo does it the right way.

If the buttons were rigidly mapped to match the letters of a SuperNes controller, they'd be reversed and at a poor angle to do something like hold down a run button and jump with the other.

You must have trouble playing SuperNes games then?

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I honestly can't deal with anything OTHER than that control scheme. The way I look at it, the four buttons correspond with a human figure. At the bottom is jump, because you're using your feet. Y is shoot, because that's the character's right hand. A is usually an action button, since that's your free hand. X is usually a menu or something, since that's where the head is. If anything, it's modern games that screw it up. Why anyone would map jump to the top button is beyond me.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Troglodyte's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I finally acquired working versions of Super Mario RPG and Kirby Super Star.
    I have yet to get Kirby's Dreamland 3 to work.

I am wondering if there is a way to disquingish working and non-working versions of these games. The only thing I can think about as a possibility is that there maybe a difference in the numbering codes printed on the outer edge of the plastic cartridges near the PCB.

For instance here is the numbering scheme from my working Super Mario RPG cart:
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Back Plastic: WB-15
    Front Plastic: WF(A)-5

Here are the numbers from my working cartridges of Kirby Super Star (I bought several offline in order to try and find a working version).
    -----------------------------------------------
    First working cart:
    ----------------------
    Back Plastic: WB-4
    Front Plastic: WF(A)-2

Second working cart:
    ----------------------
    Back Plastic: WB-2
    Front Plastic: WF(A)-4

Third working cart:
    Back Plastic: WB-1
    Front Plastic: WF(A)-4

Non-working carts:
    ------------------
    Kirby Super Deluxe (Super Famicom)
    Back Plastic: WB-3
    Front Plastic: WF-9

Kirby Super Star
    First non-working version:
    Back Plastic: WB-3
    Front Platic: WF(A)-3

Second non-working version:
    Front Plastic: WB-1
    Back Plastic: WF(A)-1

Non working version of Kirby's Dreamland 3
    -----------------------------------------
    WB-1
    WF(A)-2

I will be working on purchasing several copies of Dreamland 3 in the near future when I have the funds to see if I can find a working version before I try and resell them.

I have yet to try and inspect or mod these carts in anyway. The intrusting thing I noticed is that for both the working versions of RPG and Super Star, it takes many times of trying to get a copy of them to work. And this typically means taking the cart out many times and reinserting it. Restarting the system or turning it of does not seem to cause it to work.

Retro game console modder bacteria's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My Super Mario RPG Legend of the Seven Stars works on the Retro Duo.

It says on the front of the cart: SNS-ARWE-USA

On the back: Model no SNS-006 (c) 1991 Rd/Enr 1992 Nintendo. Made in Japan. SNS-USA/Can-1

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

@bacteria,
    But does your copy of Super Mario RPG work consistently
    all of the time? I checked the number on the front of the
    cartridge that you are referring to on my copy of RPG,
    and it is the same as yours.

As for my versions of Kirby Super Star, the numbers on
    the front of the cartridge are identical among each copy.
    So I do not think that these numbers are related to version
    numbers.

My original post referrers to the difference among numbers
    that appear on the inside of the cartridge near the end of
    the circuit board that sticks out of the cartridge. As these
    numbers seem to differ between cartridges of the same game.

Also, the numbers on the outer back of the cartridge do not differ.
    I believe this is because these numbers refer to the model number
    of the SNES system itself or related copyright holdings.
    Last edited by Troglodyte; 10-17-2009 at 04:34 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I recently purchased Super Bomberman: Panic Bomber W for the Super Famicom. This appears to be a game that uses the SA-1 interface similarly to Super Mario RPG and some others. I can't seem to get it to work, so it appears to be incompatible with the Retro Duo at this point. Perhaps there are different versions of this cartridge, I don't know. I would be interested in hearing about other people's experiences with this game.

UPDATE: I had to send my Retro Duo back for a replacement due to a failing NES cartridge slot, but I pulled out my FC Dual for testing. Though not exactly the same as the Retro Duo, it is very similar. At first I thought this system would not work with any games that used SA-1 chips. It turns out that is slightly incorrect. If I insert a non SA-1 cartridge first, let it boot up, turn it off, and then quickly insert the copy of Super Mario RPG I have or a particular copy of Kirby Super Star, these games will work. But when I hit restart, or turn the console off and then on again, they will not work until I repeat the cartridge swap. This trick did not work with my copy of Kirby's Dream Land 3, Panic Bomber, or any of the other copies of Kirby Super Star I have for that matter. Oddly, the copy of Kirby Super Star I was able to get working using this method, I originally could not get working at all on the Retro Duo, while the several other copies I have (as listed in an earlier post), worked part of the time. Also of note, is that at least with Kirby's Super Star, (haven't tested Super Mario RPG yet), when the game finally works again, the memory is cleared, and there is no longer any save states :/

When my replacement Retro Duo arrives, I will check to make sure that these findings are consistent between the FC Dual and the Retro Duo.

UPDATE: I have received my replacement Retro Duo. I can confirm that the trick stated above as working for the FC Dual also works for the Retro Duo. In addition, I recently found that if you plug a game with an auxilary chip
    in it (other than an SA-1 title), like Star Fox for example, and then turn on the FC Plus or Retro Duo, and then turn it off after waiting for the game to boot, and then inserting an SA-1 title, then the SA-1 game will boot 95% of the time (which is more often then it does with a non FX chip game for example). This trick seems to work for Kirby's Dream Land 3 and Super Mario RPG. For some reason it doesn't seem to work as often when used with Kirby Super Star, but it does work eventually. However, I noticed if you put in an FX game, and then swap it with Kirby's Dreamland 3, and then swap that game with Kirby's Super Star, this will get Super Star working almost all the time.

Even though Kirby's Dreamland 3 works most of the time, more often then not (I would say about 60% of the time if not more), I will experience sever slowdowns and audio glitches with the game when used with the Retro Duo. I have not been able to reproduce the slow down problem with the FC Dual, however there are still random audio issues (like random beeping). In terms of visuals, there is also a slight inconsistency between the clone systems listed above and real hardware. It seems these clone systems have trouble displaying some of the overlay sprites used for things such as precipitation effects. In other words I believe it has a problem reproducing the following:

Kirby's Dream Land 3 uses a mode of the SNES termed "pseudo high-resolution" (which allows for color blending between two adjacent pixels) to blend dithered sprites.
    -Wikipedia

To be more specific, the effects are shown, but they appear "dithered", without the blending effect present.
    Last edited by Troglodyte; 11-06-2009 at 09:26 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Exclamation

I'd like to add a confirmed incompatible game to the list.
    It seems that the PAL exclusive title The Lion King
    for NES is incompatible. The title screen appears fine,
    but after the start button is pressed and the game
    starts, the video is unable to keep sync and the
    graphics screw up as a result.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Troglodyte View Post
    I'd like to add a confirmed incompatible game to the list.
    It seems that the PAL exclusive title The Lion King
    for NES is incompatible. The title screen appears fine,
    but after the start button is pressed and the game
    starts, the video is unable to keep sync and the
    graphics screw up as a result.
    That's how it is on the NES

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question

That's how it is on the NES
    You mean the Top-Loader and / or an original NES with the lockout chip disabled? Because even if that is the case, I would still call it an incompatibility, it just doesn't seem to be one unique to the Retro Duo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Running Lion King on a NTSC NES..it flips out when it's playing aat 60 herts

I have the Version 2 Retro Duo

I was playing Super Xevious & it crashed late in the first stage

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Say, does anyone get some nasty video interference with the Super NES side of their RetroDuo? Basically, what I'm getting are 2 thick strips of static that scroll from the top of the screen down. I've been trying all sorts of different methods to get rid of that damn static: split the Super NES and NES video signals, re-route some Ground signals(supposedly, there's some kind of Ground loop in the system), even going as far as to change the Super NES Composite and S-Video amps to match the KA2198BD's datasheet. And I still have the static! Now, here comes the strange part: I changed the Super NES side's PAL/NTSC jumper into the PAL position(well, not quite; I just left the jumper pad with no voltage applied to it), and while I did manage to screw up the RetroDuo's RGB outputs from the TCT-976 chip(removed 3 resistors I wasn't supposed to), when I bring up the brightness on my TV, I don't see those static strips anymore. But as soon as I solder that jumper pad to Ground, the static comes back. This makes me wonder: was the system maybe designed to be a PAL-based NES/Super NES 2-in-1 clone?

Has anyone had these interference problems with their RetroDuo's Super NES side, and if so, have you figured out the definitive way to get rid of them while keeping the Super NES side running in NTSC?

EDIT: I've replaced the resistors I removed, and I can definitely confirm that when the RetroDuo's Super NES board is set to run in PAL, the static is gone. Solder the PAL/NTSC jumper to Ground, and the interference returns. What the hell?

By the way, this is my RetroDuo model(same paint job): http://imgs.inkfrog.com/pix/gamedepo...uo_white_2.jpg
    Last edited by Ace; 01-12-2010 at 02:31 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Has anyone had these interference problems with their RetroDuo's Super NES side, and if so, have you figured out the definitive way to get rid of them while keeping the Super NES side running in NTSC?
    My second revision RetroDuo does not do what you described (I have the black and silver one). Although, my FC Dual and Super NicoFami (JPN version of FC Dual) do exactly as you describe on the SNES side. I haven't bothered to fix it since I only use the RetroDuo for NES / SNES and the Super NicoFami for Famicom so I don't wear out the NES cartridge connector on the RetroDuo. I have retired the FC Dual, but still hold onto it in case I need it for now. Perhaps you have the first revision of the RetroDuo? Also, this is my third one, the first one had audio static on the SNES side, and the second's NES cartridge connector wore out within a week or two. This one has been fine. Perhaps you have an early revision of the RetroDuo?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No, I can assure you this is a later RetroDuo. The earliest ones came in a box like this: http://www.itechnews.net/wp-content/...s-emulator.jpg

It even has a later motherboard revision that's missing a solder spot for a 7805 regulator.

But there is another thing that's incredibly bothersome about my RetroDuo's Super NES side, which is worse than the static: loss of color on the Super NES side's video output. It doesn't do it all the time, and when I leave the system off for a bit after the video goes Black & White, the color comes back. It's been doing that for a while, and I'm not sure why(does it in both Composite and S-Video).

Come to think of it, if you can, open your RetroDuo and take pictures of the motherboard so I can see if I spot any differences between my White/Blue RetroDuo and your Silver/Black RetroDuo.
    Last edited by Ace; 01-12-2010 at 04:56 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Does the FC Twin Zapper work with the Retro Duo??

I have the Black & Red Retro Duo..Ver. 2 it's still had Audio Trouble on the NES side

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a few problems with my Retro Duo. The first and most important one is that when playing SNES games, there is a constant line of static/noise about 1.5 inches thick that's always scrolling down the screen. It does this on both AV and S-Video. If anyone knows how to fix that, please let me know!

And the other problems are just the classic NES colors and audio problems that a lot of people seem to have. I heard there's known fixes for those but I don't really wanna read through the entire thread right now so if someone knows a fix, please lt me know. It would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
    Good news, cigarette juice!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have not found a way to eliminate the static on the Super NES side aside from modifying the Super NES board to run in PAL. It's not the best fix because the system will have compatibility problems with NTSC games that have a PAL/NTSC check on them, and the games that work will work slower than they should and be letterboxed.

As for the NES sound fix, 2 parts are needed: a 0.1uF ceramic capacitor and a 2.2Kohm resistor. The capacitor has to be soldered between the solder point on the underside of the NES board with SOUND written above it, and the 2.2Kohm resistor has to be soldered between the bottom left and the top pin of transistor Q8(it's a black rectangle with 2 pins coming off the bottm and one pin coming off the top - it's a surface-mount transitor). It's the transistor with 1AM written on it right-side-up: http://www.gatchan.net/uploads/Conso...rte_mere_1.jpg

By the way, what's your RetroDuo's paint job and in what box did it come in(there are 2 different boxes the RetroDuo comes in, one of which is discontinued)?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

White/Blue, this is the one it came in. I assumed it was the latest version as it said v2.0 on it.

Good news, cigarette juice!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's identical to mine(it's the newest model). I think those have some kind of design flaw on the Super NES board causing some kind of interference in the Super NES side's video output. Do any owners of Black/Red, Silver/Black and Red/Gold models experience the same kind of staticky interference on their RetroDuo's Super NES side?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Do any owners of Black/Red, Silver/Black and Red/Gold models experience the same kind of staticky interference on their RetroDuo's Super NES side?
    Like I wrote in an earlier post; I own the Silver/Black model, and I don't seem to have this problem.
    Perhaps, it is very faint, and I am just not seeing it.
    However, I did experience this problem with my
    FC Dual and my Super NicoFami.

The NES Audio problem, on the other hand, seems to be a universal issue among NOACs.
    I haven't bothered to attempt the described fix however. If it helps, I can try and take
    pictures of the motherboard tomorrow.
    Last edited by Troglodyte; 01-16-2010 at 08:10 PM.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you have a Super GameBoy, pay close attention to the screen while running that. The static is IMPOSSIBLE to miss when using the Super GameBoy on the RetroDuo.