Page 24 of 28 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425262728 LastLast

Thread: RetroDuo NES/SNES Clone Official Thread. Castlevania III, StarFox WORK, SMRPG WARNING

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I could of swore Street Fighter Alpha 2 worked on the RD

How about The FC Twin Gun, I'm going to buy one for the RD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MarioMania View Post
    I could of swore Street Fighter Alpha 2 worked on the RD

How about The FC Twin Gun, I'm going to buy one for the RD
    street fighter alpha 2 works on my retro duo...but sometimes it takes a few resets... I have no idea why.

i love the retro duo but man ....

I WANT TO USE A ZAPPER!!!
    I'm the best there is at what I do. But what I do best isn't very nice. -James "Logan" Howlett

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    elusiveshame

Bit the bullet and bought the retro duo today off of fleabay. Can't wait for it to come in, probably early next week. I would've waited to find just a regular NES cheaper than $45 shipped, but I'll be getting my repro cart of FF3j, and I'd seriously like to play that, as well as my FF5 import.

Hellraiser, won't the regular NES zapper work?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dra600n View Post
    Hellraiser, won't the regular NES zapper work?
    nope... well at least i cant find a way to use it.

the retro duo uses snes controller ports. so a regular Nes zapper wont work. theres a couple of you tube videos out there showing how to hack a nes controller to work on the system but they warn the zapper wont work. Ive read a few places
    the company that makes the system was supposed to come out with an adapter but i havent found it. the FC twin has there own zapper that has an snes connection but ive read it wont work on the retro duo. (would love if some one could confirm this)

If im missin something someone please chime in...
    to me this is one of the only real draw backs to the system other then the sound on smb3 and ninja gaiden..lol
    Last edited by hellraiser; 08-26-2010 at 09:09 PM.
    I'm the best there is at what I do. But what I do best isn't very nice. -James "Logan" Howlett

Insert Coin (Level 0) randomencountergames's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Troglodyte View Post
    I wouldn't be so quick to judge the Retro Duo; based on the fact that you had a heater plugged into the same power strip / surge protector / outlet, or generally just within close physical proximity to the Retro Duo. Having sensitive electronics, like computers, TVs, Radios and not to mention game consoles, near Heaters, is never a good idea. They draw too much power, and often can cause large levels of interference.
    I am not calling you out on this, or even trying to put you down, but they even teach this fact in the most basic level of electrical and
    computer classes.

I wouldn't recommend either of these models. I have owned both the top loading NES and the Mini SNES. The NES top loader only has RF, and the mini SNES; only AV via standard RCA. The top loader also suffers from scan lines that are still visible when the AV mod is implemented (I confirmed this myself when I did the mod before selling mine). The original NES and SNES (which features S-Video, and can be modded to output RGB), are much better products. However, I personally like my Retro Duo better than these two original consoles. While I can't recommend it over the originals in all cases / for everyone, it is a very good product. I have had no scan line problems, but I will verify that by putting in my Super Game Boy, soon enough; to see if the lines are their and just faint.

Anyway, I do feel that the Retro Duo isa much better product than both the top loading NES, and the mini SNES. The products are much too expensive and very over hyped; especially do to the loss in video quality among both of them. I have had no apparent problems with the video quality / interference with my Retro Duo, so I can't really comment on these issues.

Just so you know, since I keep seeing you tell people a lot of things about the NES top loader. There is a version with the SNES/GC style AV out. You can also pass the RF through a VCR, and go out composite, along with clearing the picture up. The top loader is a great product and superior to any NES machine made for the US.

I love the Retro Duo, but honestly it has nothing on real hardware. Don't kid.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    elusiveshame

Quote Originally Posted by hellraiser View Post
    nope... well at least i cant find a way to use it.

the retro duo uses snes controller ports. so a regular Nes zapper wont work. theres a couple of you tube videos out there showing how to hack a nes controller to work on the system but they warn the zapper wont work. Ive read a few places
    the company that makes the system was supposed to come out with an adapter but i havent found it. the FC twin has there own zapper that has an snes connection but ive read it wont work on the retro duo. (would love if some one could confirm this)

If im missin something someone please chime in...
    to me this is one of the only real draw backs to the system other then the sound on smb3 and ninja gaiden..lol
    That makes sense about the zapper since the FC Twin uses NES port and the Retro Duo uses SNES ports...so I'm going to say you're out of luck with the zapper.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by randomencountergames View Post
    Just so you know, since I keep seeing you tell people a lot of things about the NES top loader. There is a version with the SNES/GC style AV out. You can also pass the RF through a VCR, and go out composite, along with clearing the picture up. The top loader is a great product and superior to any NES machine made for the US.
    And as far as I'm aware, there's well under a half dozen of those NES top loaders with composite out confirmed to exist. For 99.9% of NES gamers, it basically doesn't exist and isn't a viable option.

And running the rf output of the NES to a VCR with composite output doesn't work any magic on cleaning up the RF signal. The deficiencies of RF out are still going to be present even though the signal is arriving to the television through composite cables. The most the VCR is going to do is boost the signal a bit, it doesn't do anything special to magically upgrade RF to composite video quality.

For the best video quality for models widely available in the US, the original is the way to go. Even top loaders modded for composite out fail to equal it in quality.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 08-27-2010 at 10:21 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My adapter just died , already bough replacement. Good thing 5V 1Amp adapters are easy enough to find.

Now I'm about to mod my unit to get rid off that Godly annoying NES audio distortion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Im on my second 3 slot that means NES, Sega Genesis and SNES. First one died as too much booze got in my system from drunks at my old condo.

Now Im on a new one and the wires on the controllers are coming out. They couldve made the controllers reach longer. Mine cant even get to the couch. Also my Genesis port dims to black. Im thinking the system is going to die or it's burning out. This system has been well played at my house.

STILL the originals are so much better but for compact wise...the 3 slot is the way to go.

The Best Fighter in HISTORY!!!

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Insaneclown View Post
    Im on my second 3 slot that means NES, Sega Genesis and SNES. First one died as too much booze got in my system from drunks at my old condo.

Now Im on a new one and the wires on the controllers are coming out. They couldve made the controllers reach longer. Mine cant even get to the couch. Also my Genesis port dims to black. Im thinking the system is going to die or it's burning out. This system has been well played at my house.

STILL the originals are so much better but for compact wise...the 3 slot is the way to go.
    It's a shame that the 3 slots (the FC 3 and the Retron) don't have the NES compatibility of the Retro Duo.

(Also double shame that the Retron has IR wireless instead of RF)
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

just an fyi...

My copy of madmax for the nes didint work.
    It starts up but the controller dosent work.

I know, i know madmax is a crappy nes game but i love the movies!!!! oh well guess im stuck playing outlander for the snes side. Just squint my eyes and make belive!!!lol

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Guys , I want to report that all the SNES Copier units that I tried on Retro Duo work perfectly ,not sure if that a new discovery though.

Anyway a new snes flashcard (Everdrive) I just bough is on it's way here, will see if it works on Retro Duo or not.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ooXxXoo View Post
    For those that are having sound issues with the NES portion of of the Retro Duo(scratchy sound+missing a few effects), here's a quick easy fix:

Good games to test this mod are Super Mario Bros.3 and Ninja Gaiden(play these for a few minutes so you'll notice the difference)...
    Unplug from the Power outlet and Turn on and off the Retro Duo for a few seconds before doing anything else, so you'll get rid off any remaining current left....After completely carefully taking apart the RD motherboard from the shell, look at the back side of the NES portion(near the AV Jacks and closest to the NOAC)..Please ignore the gray ribbon wires, they belong to another mod...

Look directly at the NOAC and right above it between the NOAC traces,you'll see the words "rest" and "sound" written near the actual NOAC..There is a solder spot right under the word sound(This word is going to be found nearest to the Red RCA jack)

Get yourself a 0.1uf ceramic capacitor (104)...Add a bit of solder to this point under the word "sound" and attach a leg of the ceramic cap there....The other leg should be connected to the ground side of the White Rca Jack connector...(as show in these pics)..

Make sure to shield this new cap legs connections or you may experience a bit of ghosty lines on the video, not a huge problem though.....

After this, your NES games will sound just fine.....This worked great for me...And if anyone tries this, let me know if it worked for you..

So I've succesfully done the audio mod to my Retro Duo, now the NES audio is a hundred times better.

But I don't understand the part that says "Make sure to shield this new cap legs connections ".

What is Shielding? What an I suppose to do here , and yes my NES Video now has a bit of ghosty lines.

Thanks for the answers in advance.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Works flawlessly with SNES Everdrive!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

thanks for the follow up tko !!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Would the Everdrive/Super Everdrive work on Retron 3?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

sorry for bumping an old topic but I just got Paperboy and rolling Thunder which work both perfectly with my blue-white v.2 retro duo so I don't know where that Incompatible:
    Rolling Thunder (Verified incompatibile on video)

and

Paperboy (Verified) came from.

Both game work in retro duo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

I own a lot of Famicoms and Famiclones. I've owned every commerical Famicom except for a Titler, I composite modded an NES-101 toploader and I own a Yobo FC Game Console, Generation NEX, Handy Fami-Eight, RetroN3, GameAxe Color and I've still got my ol' clunker NES toaster.

I've read about half of this thread and am rather intrudged byt the Retro Duo. It's a Famiclone that plays MMC5 games and has more or less correct audio? Shocking!

I have a few questions.

1. To make sure I didn't read it wrong; the Retro Duo will output NES games in S-Video?

How in the hell did they do that? Outside of the Titler, the Famicom was never designed with S-video output and NOACs are true to form in that respect.

Another thing, how good is the S-video? How good are the colors in comparison to the real hardware? Does this Famiclone produce vertical lines like a stock NES-101 toploader or the NEX? I read that you can get proper S-video from the Retro Duo by hooking up only the S-video cable and leaving the composite cords disconnected. True/False?

2. Can someone please post links to detailed pics of the motherboard, particularity the NES portions? From a few scatter pics I've seen it looks like there's a main board for the SNES, and the NES is housed in two smaller daughterboards and connected by small ribbon cables.

3. Except for its power switch and controller input, is the NES portion completely independent of the SNES board? In other words, could one in theory remove the NES portion from the RetroDuo, rewire it slightly and make it a standalone Famiclone? I ask because this might be the perfect candidate for a mod project I have in mind.

Along the lines of that question, does the RetroDuo havea 7805 voltage regular and built-in video amplifier? the less I have to rebuild, the better :P

Can I get measurements of the NES boards, both the one with outputs and the cart connector?

4, Kinda obviously not, but does this NOAC handle Famicom expansion audio for the VRC6 and VRC7 and other chips? lol I guess I'm being greedy now.

5. I'm curious if anyone has modded the RetroDuo to use NES 7pin controllers as the SNES used the 4021 just as the NES did and its possible to wire up an adapter.

6. I was reading here that people had issues with certain colored units. A quick ebay look reveals there's now two colors: black and red and silver and black. Is the silver/black one a newer revision? Any reason to choose one over the other?

Thanks.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Please Satoshi_Matrix buy a Retro Duo. So you can test compatibility with Powepak for me. lol

After my Rolling Thunder and Paperboy works with my Retro Duo, I no longer believe in compatibility test in Youtube video.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

I'll gladly buy one, but can anyone address my questions?
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/