Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: RetroDuo NES/SNES Clone Official Thread. Castlevania III, StarFox WORK, SMRPG WARNING

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ooXxXoo View Post
    Fellows,I have a theory......
    After reviewing some of you all posts, I decided to take a closer look into the clip metal that provides ground to the game board....
    That internal ground point in the cartridge board looks to split and be going to different traces...
    And it seems than when it is connected to the original SNES system pin cartridge connector outter ground, every game runs smoothly because ground is present at all times...
    And since,the RetroDuo cartridge connector is just plain plastic, that could be the reason of why some games crash or not boot at all....
    Does anyone happen to have a SNES broken board with a good cartridge connector?
    I'm willing to desolder the native RD connector and attach a metal one to see the results.
    I have a broken SNES. If I could open it, I'd take a look.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm willing to desolder the native RD connector and attach a metal one to see the results.
    Since the ground pin contact area is so small, it would probably be easier to use a small piece of metal (tin shielding would be good) in the cart slot contact area. When I get a chance I'll attach a small piece to that area, wire it to the RD's ground plane and check for contact.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by remowilliams View Post
    Since the ground pin contact area is so small, it would probably be easier to use a small piece of metal (tin shielding would be good) in the cart slot contact area. When I get a chance I'll attach a small piece to that area, wire it to the RD's ground plane and check for contact.
    I'm glad you mention that,
    I've already tried it.....it didn't work.....
    But I'd like to experiment with a better quality cartridge connector...
    §ø Ï ζ Ξ Δ φ Ψ ς ώ ☆ ¿ ∞ ♪ ξ

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hi all

Finally got my down converter for playing US consoles in the UK and unfortunately the RD still crashes on the SNES after being used for a while - It will stay working on one game until I turn it off and try another and then will refuse to work. There's no way of truly telling whether I damaged something by not using the down converter originally or if it was faulty all along but I would feel a little cheeky trying to get a replacement for it now.

With the NES side of things - this is much more stable - maybe because I didn't play any NES games on the console before I got the down converter - HOWEVER - the sound is atrocious on the NES - it's very loud and some games are completely overdriven and distorted such as KIRBY and SILIUS. Also the colours seem a bit washed out as a previous poster said.

BTW - Batman Returns PAL - Does not run on the system, it comes up with the not for use with Super Nes or Famicom title screen.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm glad you mention that, I've already tried it.....it didn't work.....
    Why not? I'd assume as long as the contact piece is of sufficient thickness (I haven't measured it yet) it should work just as well.

For NES side audio issues I highly recommend trying an RCA cable like this to combine the two audio channels back into one. Some games sound really odd with the artificial stereo split.

Also for the record - the new Retrousb releases Glider and Airball work fine on the RD.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For NES side audio issues I highly recommend trying an RCA cable like this to combine the two audio channels back into one. Some games sound really odd with the artificial stereo split.

Huh... I used one of those on my real NES so I could get the sound to come out of both speakers on my setup. With mono output, I had to pick either left or right. Isn't that basically what the RD does, output the same thing on both channels?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NayusDante View Post
    Isn't that basically what the RD does, output the same thing on both channels?
    No, as far as I can tell the RD has the two NES CPU audio outputs brought out to the jacks. In a real NES the two outputs are combined into a mono jack.

On a regular NES CPU, one line is the two square wave channels and the other is the triangle wave channel, the noise channel and the sample channel. NES audio isn't meant to be listened to as discrete stereo in this manner. It makes some things sound really awful.

That cable above if plugged into the RD itself, recombines the audio channels. If plugged into a TV, it would do what you were doing with your NES.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmmm, I'll try that later. I have two of those splitters, so I'll combine the signal then clone it, if it will work that way...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NayusDante View Post
    so I'll combine the signal then clone it, if it will work that way...
    Yup, combining and then duplicating that would be the best way to do it. Gives you true 'stereo' mono.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hello All,

I recently imported a RetroDuo from the USA to Australia and have found it pretty much useless.

I cannot play Donkey Kong 1 and 2 and Mario All-Stars (Get the non-compatable with your SNES/Famicon message), NES Mario 1 and 2 are working.

Is there anything I can do to get the SNES Games to work? I thought this system was suppose to play everything! Only other games I have are SNES Zelda and Super Mario World which work fine. I brought the thing instead of a second hand SNES
    because they were a good price.
    Last edited by funkyblue; 05-11-2008 at 04:42 AM.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yup, combining and then duplicating that would be the best way to do it. Gives you true 'stereo' mono.

If you are going to attempt a connection like this:

http://usera.imagecave.com/capcom2000/hpim6272.jpg

Before hand,I'm letting you know that is not going to work great or make a better audio sound.....
    Since,The RetroDuo SNES side actually produces true Mono/Stereo sound for each channel of its connectors...
    First of all, you will have to split them in order to still use the SNES and NES audio at the same time, and then attempting to combine the NES Audio into a single jack and later again trying to split it into two outputs doesn't make any improvement at all.
    Infact, it may actually make it worst if the "Y-Splitter" cables are not properly shielded...
    Last edited by ooXxXoo; 05-11-2008 at 08:30 PM.
    §ø Ï ζ Ξ Δ φ Ψ ς ώ ☆ ¿ ∞ ♪ ξ

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I just use the single adapter I showed and swap the one connector on/off on the RD side.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by funkyblue View Post
    Hello All,I cannot play Donkey Kong 1 and 2 and Mario All-Stars (Get the non-compatable with your SNES/Famicon message), NES Mario 1 and 2 are working.
    Donkey Kong Country 1/2 ? I don't have the actual carts but those and Mario All-Stars plays fine on my flash cart on the RD.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What's a flash cart?

It's the first game console I have purchased. A friend gave me a bunch of free games. All I wanted to play was DK 1 and 2 and 3, and Super Mario World and All-Stars....

Thanks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The RetroDuo is primarily aimed at the American market - some PAL games don't work - If you can get hold of the USA carts from ebay you will be able to play them.

Other PAL carts that don't work include:

Batman Returns
    The Smurfs
    any Super FX game like Starwing / Starfox.

CAN ANYONE HELP WITH THE FOLLOWING:

I'm trying to decide whether to get a modded SNES or another RD after damaging my orginal RD (by not using a step down converter here in the UK).

The one thing that is annoying me though is the sound on the NES - most games the sound is OK although too loud sometimes suffering clicks and mild distortion and on some carts the sound is REALLY badly distorted - The worst case of this is KIRBY which is pretty much unlistenable and really effects the game enjoyment. Second worse is JOURNEY TO SILIUS which again is really distorted and overdriven - a pity cos the music is ace on this one.

So can anyone give me more of a rundown on how to get an RD with good sound for the NES?

I intentionally went for a red and black one because an earlier reviewer said these ones have better sound than the white ones - maybe it is really just pot luck!

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My white one seems near perfect (with my US games...), aside from the light vertical barring with NES, and that's bearable. It's only noticeable on solid color areas.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by funkyblue View Post
    What's a flash cart?
    http://www.tototek.com/pio/main1/SUB...superflash.htm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Can any one else chime in on any differences between the white and black versions of the console or is it pretty much pot luck regardless of the colour - I do like the red and black design better from an aesthetic point of view.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hello all.
    I'm a new owner of a white retroduo, and I've tried to make an RGB mod.
    Using the KA2198BD pdf, I plugged the R, G B lines, with 3 capacitors & resistors, to a snes multiAV connector (with +5V and GND), according to this pinout. But, I don't get any output in SNES mode (neither in NES mode, but I know why). Anyone has been able to perform such mode?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Retro Duo

I got mine Retro Duo and yeah Super Mario World PAL version works fine with Retro Duo, but there are few glitches around

Super Mario World PAL on Retro Duo
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=RMLD1XUJbR0

TESTED
    Killer Instinct USA - Works fine
    Super Mario All-Stars - USA - Works fine
    Final Fantasy VI - Works fine
    Final Fantasy III USA - Works fine
    Final Fantasy II USA - Works fine
    Super Mario World PAL - O.K

Yeah NES side of Retro Duo doesnt work so only SNES games works sp far on my Retro Duo (i want my money back)