Page 14 of 28 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: RetroDuo NES/SNES Clone Official Thread. Castlevania III, StarFox WORK, SMRPG WARNING

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Has anybody else noticed the other few minor-no big deal flaws that the Retro Duo has?.....For example, the manual states that the 8-bit indicator lights up red when playing an 8-bit NES game and the 16-bit lights up green when playing an SNES 16-bit game, while this is to totally the opposite way...

And if you turn on the NES side with a game and without a controller plugged in.....The RDuo goes ballistic on its own....
    §ø Ï ζ Ξ Δ φ Ψ ς ώ ☆ ¿ ∞ ♪ ξ

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Super Castlevania IV should work

I almost returned my copy of Super Castlevania IV, because I was getting the black screen. But when I took it back, the store owner put it in his FC Twin, and it worked. So, I took it back home. Turns out, the game just takes a long time to boot. It's Konami, like someone else said before. Try waiting a little longer for it to boot before you turn it off. Hope this helps.

PS. Any new experiences with SA lockout games? Anyone?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by remowilliams View Post
    I wired a NES connector to the RetroDuo and it works just fine. So now I can use the Messiah pad while playing the NES side. NES lightgun is next on my experiment list, but I need another SNES pad for the extra pins/wiring, as a regular SNES pad leaves two signals unconnected.
    I'd love to see a schematic for this, as well as some more info on how compatible it is. Specifically, I'd like to know is the Four Score/NES Satellite can be made to work on the RD.
    Last edited by Franky; 07-10-2008 at 05:16 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So, my RD just arrived, and I've started to blog about it over here:
    http://rdpal.blogspot.com/
    Keep your eyes on that page for more news and compatibility reports in the coming days!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Franky View Post
    I'd love to see a schematic for this, as well as some more info on how compatible it is. Specifically, I'd like to know is the Four Score/NES Satellite can be made to work on the RD.
    Here's the controller wiring for the NES/SNES connectors looking from the controller end of the cables. Note that wire colors may vary in different controllers/extension cables, etc. You need to use a meter to verify. Once you have verified the wires, you just need to connect GND/Data/Latch/Clock/+5 lines between the SNES and NES ends respectively. The two unused connections on both connectors are used by special peripherals such as the super scope and zapper. The NES zapper does not work on the RD, as the lines are not brought out on the unit. I have not tried a superscope or the Four Score/NES Satellite.

SNES (controller view)

| 1 2 3 4 | 5 6 7 )

7 Brown GND
    6 NC
    5 NC
    4 Red Data
    3 Orange Latch
    2 Yellow Clock
    1 White +5

NES (controller view)

2 3
    4 5
    6 7

1 Yellow GND
    2 Orange Clock
    3 White +5
    4 Red Latch
    5 Blue
    6 Brown Data
    7 Green

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the info! According to this page, the Four Score doesn't use the two extra connections, so I guess that it should work. We'll see when I get some extension cords to cut up and frankenstein together.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just found some more interesting info on Mario RPG, which might apply to other SA-1 carts as well... http://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php...&#entry3673165

Anyone here brave enough to try this out?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So is Ebay pretty much the standard place to purchase the RD or can someone recommend another reliable online retailer for it?

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Amazon sellers.

Insert Coin (Level 0) SurfKahuna's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I picked up mine at Plan 'N Trade. It's a new store opening up around the US. Mine is located in Avondale, AZ. $50. GREAT buy.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sorry for the bump, I just wanted to mention that my compatibility list (located here: http://rdpal.blogspot.com/2008/07/co...lity-list.html) has just passed 100 games!

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Legend of Mystical Ninja works just fine for me.

Oh, and any news if Innex is going to make that adapter for NES controllers?

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Tupin View Post
    Legend of Mystical Ninja works just fine for me.

Oh, and any news if Innex is going to make that adapter for NES controllers?
    Removed Mystical Ninja from the list.

As far as adapters go, no word from Innex, but they were reported as saying that they would make them.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SurfKahuna View Post
    I picked up mine at Plan 'N Trade. It's a new store opening up around the US. Mine is located in Avondale, AZ. $50. GREAT buy.
    My local PnT still doesn't have them. Neither does the one about 2 hours from me. (Oldsmar and Sarasota, respectively.

I was playing Mario All-Stars earlier today, and I seriously love this thing. I still can't get NES output to look right on my TV, but my RD has found a home as a SNES replacement. I might do another RD compatibility video soon, as I've acquired a lot more games since my last ones.

I'm curious, does anyone have a decent solution for getting a composite signal through any other kind of input? As perfect as the SNES side is for modern TVs, composite NES just isn't a viable option for me.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I recently picked up a white RD, and I'd like to report a couple things that I haven't seen posted elsewhere.

NES Burgertime simply refuses to boot on it. I just get random blotches of color. It does work just fine on an original toaster NES, so I know the cart is good. Anyone else having a problem with this game?

Although it's listed as compatible, I have yet to successfully make Super Mario All-Stars work. I keep getting an error telling me that "Copying video games is serious crime." Sometimes this waits until I select a game on the menu, other times it loads direct to that message. It seemed to work OK on an actual SNES, but I need to retest it on one. Does anyone have any insight into this error? I've been unable to find any significant info on it, except that apparently Mario All-Stars contains some sort of check that can detect if it's being used on a cart duplicator or ROM dumper or some such thing.

Also, I tried hooking the system up through a Radio Shack RF modulator. It works just fine for SNES games that way, but makes the NES side sound downright awful. Unplayable awful. I've had to connect the sound to an external surround sound amplifier just to get decent sound (I need to get a new TV with RCA inputs......)

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is your Maro All-Stars the one with SMW included? I know that version was released later on, so it might have the copy-protection chip active.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Have you tried thoroughly cleaning the Burgertime cart? Those random blotches sound like connection problems, I have the same problem with my Duck Tales cart, it usually takes a lot of tries before it starts up.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Burgertime works fine for me.

That's a game that has color issues in general on most clone systems, but gameplay-wise, works perfectly for me on all my clones, as well as my Duo.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NayusDante View Post
    Is your Maro All-Stars the one with SMW included? I know that version was released later on, so it might have the copy-protection chip active.
    No. It's the regular SMB 1-3 and Lost Levels version.

Quote Originally Posted by Franky View Post
    Have you tried thoroughly cleaning the Burgertime cart? Those random blotches sound like connection problems, I have the same problem with my Duck Tales cart, it usually takes a lot of tries before it starts up.
    I did. Just a few minutes ago a cleaned it again. I got a little more dirt out, but it still won't behave. Then I remembered that I had a Game Genie lying around, so I tried running it through that.

Oddly, it does work connected through a Game Genie. I hadn't thought to try that previously. So I guess that's one problem solved. It makes me wonder if perhaps All-Stars would work when connected to a Super Game Genie, but I don't have one of those.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Sorry to bump this, but I cannot get my copy of 720 to work.

I'm not sure if it's a problem with the cartridge or the system.

Can someone test theirs?