Page 15 of 28 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: RetroDuo NES/SNES Clone Official Thread. Castlevania III, StarFox WORK, SMRPG WARNING

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1982 View Post
    Although it's listed as compatible, I have yet to successfully make Super Mario All-Stars work. I keep getting an error telling me that "Copying video games is serious crime." Sometimes this waits until I select a game on the menu, other times it loads direct to that message. It seemed to work OK on an actual SNES, but I need to retest it on one. Does anyone have any insight into this error? I've been unable to find any significant info on it, except that apparently Mario All-Stars contains some sort of check that can detect if it's being used on a cart duplicator or ROM dumper or some such thing.
    Is the cart european? It might use the hertz check copy protection system in that case. You can get around that by modding a 50 hz switch on your RD, but you will only get black and white video in 50 hz mode, and if the game makes the check often it can get quite annoying.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Okay, I tested my copy of 720 on my NES, and it works.

So there's another game for the incompatibility list.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Franky View Post
    Is the cart european? It might use the hertz check copy protection system in that case. You can get around that by modding a 50 hz switch on your RD, but you will only get black and white video in 50 hz mode, and if the game makes the check often it can get quite annoying.
    Nope. It's a US game. It works fine on an actual SNES. I've been waiting and waiting for a friend of mine to locate his copy to see if it works better. If it does, we're going to trade carts.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hi all. I just got my retro duo a couple of days ago and I am liking it very much. I am a PAL user and have mostly PAL games at the moment. I will probably buy NTSC games from now on since the console has better compatibility with those games. It did take most of my games though, thought I should post a list here.

SNES (PAL) - games that work

Actraiser
    Axelay
    Darius Twin
    Street fighter II
    Super Castlevania IV
    Super Mario World
    Super Probotector - Alien Rebels
    Super R-Type
    Super Smash T.V.
    Super Swiv
    Super Tennis
    Top Gear
    Zelda III- A Link To The Past

SNES (PAL) - games that do not work

Illusion of Time (European version of Illusion of Gaia)
    Starwing (works, but serious graphic glitch)
    Super Metroid
    Terranigma (works with pro action replay mk 2.p, 2.t or 3)

SNES (NTSC) - games that work

Chrono Trigger
    Final Fantasy III (USA version)
    Illusion of Gaia

NES NTSC - games that work

Mega Man 2

Maybe I can get Illusion of Time and Super Metroid to work since it has to do with region lockouts, because Terranigma will work with specific converters and it has the strongest lockout of all games. I have not recieved the mentioned converter yet though so I am not able to try it out yet. But it is confirmed that Terranigma works with three versions of the pro action replay converter.
    Last edited by deeyay; 11-09-2008 at 04:14 AM.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My recent compatibility list:

Working

SNES:
    Earthworm Jim 1-2
    Vortex
    Drakhen

NES:
    I haven't found anything that doesn't work. Everything listed on my RF Generation collection works.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hello, all! I stumbled onto this machine at a local Play N Trade (those buggers seem to be popping up everywhere). They offered me a deal on the console and Castlevania 1 through 4, so I really had no choice. I really like the thing so far. The composite video looks pretty slick on the NES end (the s-video sucks for me, just like everyone else), and is decent for the SNES. I prefer s-video for the SNES half, but I haven't rigged up the ability to have both hooked up at once (and have them WORK) yet.

I figured I'd also include the compatibility list I've worked up from my own (quickly expanding) collection of games. Some I know are already mentioned, but since some people seem to have issues that others don't have, I'm including them, too. The following games all work, and all games are NTSC-US.

NES
    Castlevania
    Castlevania II
    Castlevania III
    Crystalis
    Ghosts 'n Goblins
    Legend of Zelda
    Legend of Zelda II
    Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!
    Magic of Scheherazade
    Mega Man 4
    Metroid
    Ninja Gaiden II
    River City Ransom
    Rygar
    Stryder

SNES
    Illusion of Gaia
    Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
    Michael Jordan: Chaos in the Windy City
    Super Castlevania IV
    Super Mario All-Stars
    Super Mario World
    Super Metroid
    Super Return of the Jedi
    Super The Empire Strikes Back

I could not get Mega Man 2 working without garbage, but I suspect that's the cart. I had the same issue with Punch-Out, but I cleaned the contacts with a q tip and rubbing alcohol and the game now works fine. I did the same thing with Mega Man 2, and the game simply went from non-booting to booting with garbage for graphics. I'm going to take it back into the store tomorrow and see if it works on either of their machines (Retro Duo or GenX). Either way, I'm probably going to return it. Maybe pick up Double Dragon or some such.

I did have the store toss Castlequest in their machines because I wanted to poke it before buying, and it booted to garbage on both the GenX and Retro Duo there. I suspect that it's a cart issue, but I didn't buy it to clean it and find out for sure.

I have more games I'm looking out for, so I'll try to post again when I get them and try them out.
    Last edited by Suzaku; 11-24-2008 at 10:05 PM.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You're not the only one to have trouble with Mega Man 2. I had a hell of a time getting mine to boot. Then again, my cart is in crappy condition compared to my other games (ex-rental, and it's friggin MM2, so it's well worn).

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Suzaku View Post
    I could not get Mega Man 2 working without garbage, but I suspect that's the cart. I had the same issue with Punch-Out, but I cleaned the contacts with a q tip and rubbing alcohol and the game now works fine. I did the same thing with Mega Man 2, and the game simply went from non-booting to booting with garbage for graphics. I'm going to take it back into the store tomorrow and see if it works on either of their machines (Retro Duo or GenX). Either way, I'm probably going to return it. Maybe pick up Double Dragon or some such.

I did have the store toss Castlequest in their machines because I wanted to poke it before buying, and it booted to garbage on both the GenX and Retro Duo there. I suspect that it's a cart issue, but I didn't buy it to clean it and find out for sure.

I have more games I'm looking out for, so I'll try to post again when I get them and try them out.
    If you can't get it to boot with a q-tip and alcohol ... I'd give it a once-over with something a bit stronger, my go-to is a buff on both sides of the contacts with a folded scotch-brite pad and then a coat of non-conductive metal polish.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    If you can't get it to boot with a q-tip and alcohol ... I'd give it a once-over with something a bit stronger, my go-to is a buff on both sides of the contacts with a folded scotch-brite pad and then a coat of non-conductive metal polish.
    When it gets past the qtip/alcohol stage, I'd rather just give it up. Unless it's something really rare that I think I'd have issues finding again. As amusing as rubbing a cart with Brasso sounds.....

In other news, I did get more SNES and NES games today. I tested them, and they all at least boot up and play into the first stage. As with the previous list, I didn't get too far in each one, so if there's something in here that acts like Battletoads I would have missed it. Except Kirby's Adventure. I played a bit farther into that one just fine.

NES
    Adventures of Bayou Billy
    Batman
    Blaster Master
    Contra
    Gradius
    Kabuki: Quantum Fighter
    Karnov
    Kirby's Adventure
    Mega Man
    Metal Gear
    Shadowgate

SNES
    Contra III: The Alien Wars
    Darius Twin
    Donkey Kong Country 2
    King of Dragons
    Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts
    Super R-Type

I definitely need to give everything I've bought in the last week or so a thorough cleaning. Some of the games took a couple tries to get them to boot, and given the state of some of the carts, I'll bet I've got loads of dirty contacts.

Also, does anybody know if Karnov's sound effects are generally ass on a real console? Either there's something weird about that game and my Retro Duo, or it's just got some garish sounds. I've no complaints about how any of my other games sound.

P.S. I LOVE how this forum's quote function works. I don't have to manually prune out previously replies to kill a huge reply tree taking up most of my post!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

More functional NES/SNES games.....

NES
    Goonies II
    Mega Man 2
    Mega Man 3**
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II

Super NES
    Final Fantasy Mystic Quest

**Mega Man 3 has some massive slowdown. Top Man's stage is a great example--there are times that, when there are more than a couple of enemies on the screen (or an enemy firing off lots of stuff, or a couple of really big enemes...) that the game slows to a crawl. I can't imagine that it does this on real hardware. I wouldn't say the game is unplayable, but it's getting there.

And yes, I did get a fully-functional copy of Mega Man 2. MM5 and MM6 should be here sometime this week from eBay.

Also, I took RC Pro Am for a spin on the store's RD, and that one worked wonderfully.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

More functional NES/SNES games.....

NES
    Goonies II
    Mega Man 2
    Mega Man 3**
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II

Super NES
    Final Fantasy Mystic Quest

**Mega Man 3 has some massive slowdown. Top Man's stage is a great example--there are times that, when there are more than a couple of enemies on the screen (or an enemy firing off lots of stuff, or a couple of really big enemes...) that the game slows to a crawl. I can't imagine that it does this on real hardware. I wouldn't say the game is unplayable, but it's getting there.

And yes, I did get a fully-functional copy of Mega Man 2. MM5 and MM6 should be here sometime this week from eBay.

Also, I took RC Pro Am for a spin on the store's RD, and that one worked wonderfully.
    Nice, I'll edit the front page soon with those additions.

River City Ransom slows down in a few parts ... also right on the border of being a problem ... thankfully it remains on the good side of that border.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

**Mega Man 3 has some massive slowdown. Top Man's stage is a great example--there are times that, when there are more than a couple of enemies on the screen (or an enemy firing off lots of stuff, or a couple of really big enemes...) that the game slows to a crawl. I can't imagine that it does this on real hardware. I wouldn't say the game is unplayable, but it's getting there
    Yes, Top Man's stage has slowdown on a real NES. I grew up playing it that way. How much, however, I'll need to compare. Maybe I'll do that tonight.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Functional NES games
    Crackout (European)
    Snake Rattle N Roll (European)
    Little Nemo: The Dream Master

Functional SNES games:
    Bram Stoker's Dracula
    FaceBall 2000

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Someone traded in a bunch more games, so I picked through them on the shelves today.More functional games:

NES
    Bubble Bobble**
    Section Z
    StarForce
    Startropics II

SNES
    Lost Vikings

**Bubble Bobble froze at the start of the first level on the store's machine when I moved or jumped. When I brought it home I cleaned the cart and I haven't had a problem with it in my machine, playing through a few levels. It might have been a dirty cart (it WAS pretty danged dirty) or it might have been the machine. I don't know.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ooXxXoo View Post
    Cool video review man!.....Any chance that you have the SNES games: "SSF the new challengers" or "Super Mario All Stars"?...... Trying to find a sound issue in other white Retro Duo's models that I found in a crystal oscillator on mine.
    I tried "SSF the new challengers": it works perfectly !

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here is a list of games I tested with my brand new RetroDuo:

NES (US)

1943: Works (but sound issues)
    Astyanax: Works
    Batman: Works
    Bayou Billy: Works
    Bionic Commando: Works
    Captain Skyhawk: Works
    Castlevania 2: Works (but sound issues)
    Commando: Works
    Double Dragon: Works (but sound issues)
    Double Dragon 3: Works (but sound issues)
    Dr Mario: Works (with very slight sound unbalance)
    Dragon Spirit: Works
    Dragon Warrior: Works
    Fast Break: Works
    Gauntlet: Works
    Gold Medal Challenge 92: Works
    Golgo 13: Works
    Kirby's Adventure: Works
    Kung Fu: Works
    Metroid: Works (but sound issues)
    Mickey Mousecapade: Works
    Ninja Gaiden: Works (but sound issues)
    Ninja Gaiden 2: Works (but sound issues)
    Pro Wrestling: Works
    Rad Racer: Works
    Rad Racer 2: Works
    RC Pro-Am: Works
    Shinobi (Tengen): Works
    Spy Hunter: Works
    Super C: Works (but sound issues)
    Super Mario Bros 2: Works (but sound issues)
    Super Mario Bros 3: Works (but sound issues)
    Tag Team Wrestling: Works
    Tecmo World Wrestling: Works
    Tetris: Works
    Tetris 2: Works
    TMNT: Works (but sound issues)
    TMNT 2 - Arcade Game: Works (but sound issues)
    TMNT 3 - Manhattan Project : Works (but sound issues)
    Track & Field 2: Works
    Vice: Project Doom: Works
    Willow: Works
    Wizards & Warriors: Works (with minor sound issues)
    Wizards & Warriors 2 - IronSword: Works (with minor sound issues)
    World Class Track Meet: Works

SNES (US)

Super Tennis: Works
    Super Street Fighter 2: Works
    Capcom's Soccer Shoot Out: Works
    Nigel Mansel: Works
    Super Castlevania 4: Works
    Street Fighter 2: Works
    Axelay: Works
    Pilot Wings: Works
    F-Zero: Works
    Drakkhen: Works
    NBA Showdown: Works
    Super Mario World: Works

Conclusion:

It appears that the NES side of the RetroDuo has a problem with the reproduction of sound. Indeed, the bass are much louder than the trebble and some audio is not played at all (i.e. Ninja Gaiden, Castlevania 2 ...).
    This is very sad!

I hope that, somehow, there will be a fix of some kind...

Cheers

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just got Super R-Type and it won't boot on my Duo. I have 3 games, so far, that I can't get to work no matter what I do: Super R-Type, Legend of the Mystical Ninja and Lagoon. I could have a bad system, because others have reported some of these games as working.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Super Famicom works too so if I buy a NES/SNES clone, definitely getting this one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I bought one of the white ones yesterday, and I'm pretty impressed with it so far.

I tested my RD with a 1084S monitor using both composite and s-video.
    The s-video output is a bit dark with SNES games, and a bit washed out with NES games, but looks good when when the monitor is adjusted to compensate.
    Composite video is decent, maybe even preferable for NES games.

The controllers feel cheap and flimsy, but are surprisingly usable. I was able to consistently pull off dragon punches and standing 360 piledrivers in Street Fighter II, which is more than I can say about most third party controllers. I'd still rather use an asciipad or a stock nintendo pad, but the RD pads are good enough.

I can't really add anything useful to the compatibilty list as I have very few games. In fact , I didn't own any NES games, so I picked up a copy of Golf at the store where I bought the RD.

NES (US)

Golf: Works

SFC (JP)

Area 88: Works
    Street Fighter II Turbo: Works

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I forgot to add that my unit came in slightly different packaging than what's posted in the beginning of the thread, and the NES slot in my unit seems ridiculously tight.