Page 19 of 28 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: RetroDuo NES/SNES Clone Official Thread. Castlevania III, StarFox WORK, SMRPG WARNING

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ooXxXoo View Post
    For those that are having sound issues with the NES portion of of the Retro Duo(scratchy sound+missing a few effects), here's a quick easy fix:

Good games to test this mod are Super Mario Bros.3 and Ninja Gaiden(play these for a few minutes so you'll notice the difference)...
    Unplug from the Power outlet and Turn on and off the Retro Duo for a few seconds before doing anything else, so you'll get rid off any remaining current left....After completely carefully taking apart the RD motherboard from the shell, look at the back side of the NES portion(near the AV Jacks and closest to the NOAC)..Please ignore the gray ribbon wires, they belong to another mod...

Look directly at the NOAC and right above it between the NOAC traces,you'll see the words "rest" and "sound" written near the actual NOAC..There is a solder spot right under the word sound(This word is going to be found nearest to the Red RCA jack)

Get yourself a 0.1uf ceramic capacitor (104)...Add a bit of solder to this point under the word "sound" and attach a leg of the ceramic cap there....The other leg should be connected to the ground side of the White Rca Jack connector...(as show in these pics)..

Make sure to shield this new cap legs connections or you may experience a bit of ghosty lines on the video, not a huge problem though.....

After this, your NES games will sound just fine.....This worked great for me...And if anyone tries this, let me know if it worked for you..
    i just got a retro duo and the sound was kind of off with a few games... i did this mod and it works much better now. just wanted to say thanks, because i haven't seen this anywhere else and it's such an easy fix.

i also soldered the wire from a broken snes controller to a nes controller. if anyone doesn't know, the wires match almost perfectly, just swap the red and yellow ones.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I own a copy of Kirby Superstars, it works without any problems in my Retro Duo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, Innex was nice enough to send me one of these to review for Classic Video Gamer Magazine and I am impressed. For a clone system, it really is nice. Retrobit has done their homework. The sound on the NES games can be a bit bothersome at times, but other than that, it's solid buy and well worth the money. They were also nice enough to send me the red and gold edition, which is a sweet looking machine to be sure. I'm getting ready to type out my review now. Just wanted to shout out that this system is a fine piece of machinery for sure.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

does anyone know if Star Ocean works on the RetroDuo?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Talking

I'd like to thank everyone in this thread, especially ooXxXoo for his awesome NES sound fix:

Quote Originally Posted by ooXxXoo View Post
    awesome NES sound fix
    The concept of a machine that plays NES and SNES perfectly sounds too good to be true, so when I got my first FC Twin (and discovered it was crap) and later got a Retro Duo, I was so disappointed to see it had its blemishes. I had atrocious sound problems with the NES side that effectively made it unplayable (Ninja Gaiden especially). After weeks of research on how to fix the problem or spot the differences between models so I could avoid it, I came upon this very thread and the above instructions for modifying it on like the third page of a google search. After learning how to use a soldering iron I went right at it, and now it works great. I'm ecstatic.

Thank you, ooXxXoo, Frankie_Says_Relax, NayusDante and EVERYONE who helped make this thread what it is. In more ways than one, the system works.

And sorry for bumping a week old thread with a wall of text for my first post here. I'm kind of excited. Ninja Gaiden sounds perfect.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mar 626

jesu christus, I cant believe this thread is still going. lol
    Tifa, I'm not fit to help anyone, not my family, not my freinds, no one..... (Cloud)

Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
    Final Fantasy 7

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

@ tomato: I'm glad the mod worked for you as well....I'm sure Ninja Gaiden among others, sound much better now...Thanks for the comments too, they keep my modding spirit alive ....
    §ø Ï ζ Ξ Δ φ Ψ ς ώ ☆ ¿ ∞ ♪ ξ

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

Ugh. Just bought an Retro Duo from a store in Vancouver a few hours ago and got back home. What a piece of crap. NES side is fine, SNES side looks like a VHS tape from 1977 on both composite and svideo and when I pick up the system to remove the svideo cord, the and the damned console splits in two. Unfortunately, without a car or adequate public transit, I cannot return it. bye-bye money.
    DERP

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Something's gotta be up with their manufacturing. Mine is rock solid, but I keep hearing about crap units...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

This is most definately a crap unit.

Now I dont know what to do.
    DERP

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Has anyone got one of these with a faulty SNES pin connector? Mine is very picky about the way games get plugged in. I can never get it to play snes games correctly. In the off chance that it does, the game is very unstable and very prone to crashing. Does anyone (ie ooXxXoo) know how to fix this issue? I already tried to bend the pins in the cart slot but that didnt work. Is it possible to replace the entire SNES 60 pin (?) connector and replace it with an original 60 pin from a real SNES?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

Hey hey. First real post here!

Have you guys seen the portable version of these? I forget the name already but I almost bought one at the shop by me today.

screen was real nice, backlit and about the size of a gamegear screen.

....sorta sucks to have an NES cart sticking out of it though
    Aetherbyte: PC-Engine and more homebrew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhan View Post
    Hey hey. First real post here!

Have you guys seen the portable version of these? I forget the name already but I almost bought one at the shop by me today.

screen was real nice, backlit and about the size of a gamegear screen.

....sorta sucks to have an NES cart sticking out of it though
    Yes the FC Mobile 2.
    Stone Age Gamer®
    Gaming De-evolved.™
    www.stoneagegamer.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thunderkid View Post
    Has anyone got one of these with a faulty SNES pin connector? Mine is very picky about the way games get plugged in. I can never get it to play snes games correctly. In the off chance that it does, the game is very unstable and very prone to crashing. Does anyone (ie ooXxXoo) know how to fix this issue? I already tried to bend the pins in the cart slot but that didnt work. Is it possible to replace the entire SNES 60 pin (?) connector and replace it with an original 60 pin from a real SNES?
    Interesting to see all of this. My system is just fine, well other than the really shot AC Adapter cord, but that can be gotten around. Strange.

@Sonicwolf, have you thought about contacting Retrobit and seeing if they will ship you a new unit?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

I managed to take back the system to the store I got it from. Aside from the split casing on the system, it worked fine on there store tv. Made me look like an asshole. I tried 4 different games with 3 different cords seperately on the RetroDuo and SNES and the duo always came out crappy looking yet when I take it back it looks fine. I got my refund and they kept it as a tester's unit. Very nice people there at GameDeals, the way it looked is that I was lieing about the system. Must have been a fluke.
    DERP

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Were you using an HDTV? SNES should look decent over S-Video, but that's about it. The RD is best coupled with a classic CRT.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

Yes I was using an LCD HDTV. I would have swapped tv's to check the problem but the SNES looked fine on the same tv while the RD did not.

Edit* Plus, The Nintendo Entertainment System side of the RetroDuo looked just fine through the same cords that the SNES looked like ass on.
    Last edited by Sonicwolf; 08-21-2009 at 08:52 PM.
    DERP

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My unit plays SNES better with both the RCA and the S-Video plugged in on my LCD TV. Haven't ever tried it on a CRT set. I did start getting intermittent scrolling scan lines on the SNES side only when I fixed my NES sound.

That sucks about SonicWolf's unit. As soon as one of these famiclone companies get's its head around the idea of quality control, they'll have pretty much ended the debate over which is best. Of course, that's likely also when they'll start getting sued...

Cherry (Level 1) HurricaneAndrew's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't need a combination NES/SNES console anymore, but when I did I should have gotten a RetroDuo rather than the P.O.S. FC Twin.

The first problem with the FC Twin was I paid $70 at a local gaming store (lets just say the name rhymes with clackers), which was a rip off. I could have found it anywhere else for $50 at the most. Or I could have just bought the damned $70 SNES, which was all I needed anyway.

The second problem was the poor workmanship on the console. Right out of the box, the AC adapter broke. Luckily, I had a NES adapter laying around and that worked. Then later on, the SNES pin connector broke loose inside the system, rendering that part that I bought it for useless.

The only thing half-assed good about the system were the SNES style controllers that I still occasionally use with my SNES ($10, from a friend, take that Slacker's).
    I collect for: Odyssey2, Atari 2600, Atari 5200, ColecoVision, NES, SNES, N64, SMS, Genesis, Dreamcast, PSX, and TI-99/4A

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sonicwolf, about 25% of the time when we receive a return on a clone they work perfectly fine on our TVs here.

Not sure why this happens. I've had customers who have even claimed to test it on multiple TVs and it doesn't work on any of them. Many of these customers also just want replacements so I assume they aren't trying just to get their money back on a purchase they regret.
    Stone Age Gamer®
    Gaming De-evolved.™
    www.stoneagegamer.com