Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: RetroDuo NES/SNES Clone Official Thread. Castlevania III, StarFox WORK, SMRPG WARNING

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    St Aspartame

Hey Frankie, solid review man. Does the SNES slot have the american "tabs" that prevent you from playing Super Famicom/Euro SNES games?

I'm not sure how else to word it, and if you're not sure what I mean, taking pictures of the open SNES slot would answer well enough, whichever is easier.

Thanks, and congrats on a good purchase!
    Welcome to Macintosh.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Reporting from the frontlines of the DP Store, Frankie says that you are able to play any import SNES no problem. You do not need to file down any tabs, it works perfectly.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by MrRoboto19XX View Post
    Hey Frankie, solid review man. Does the SNES slot have the american "tabs" that prevent you from playing Super Famicom/Euro SNES games?

I'm not sure how else to word it, and if you're not sure what I mean, taking pictures of the open SNES slot would answer well enough, whichever is easier.

Thanks, and congrats on a good purchase!

There's some nice evidence of non-US SFC game in one. I see no tabs in mine that would otherwise block that type of action.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    St Aspartame

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    There's some nice evidence of non-US SFC game in one. I see no tabs in mine that would otherwise block that type of action.
    I've got no excuse now, I must buy this.
    Welcome to Macintosh.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey Frankie, that is fantastic! Great review, and from the looks of it, this is the ultimate NES/SNES clone....at least it is the nicest one I have seen thus far. Very cool!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Cloud121D
    PSN
    Cloud121
    Steam
    Cloud121D

After seeing the controller, I got my hopes up, only for them to be dashed while watching the video review. I was really hoping that the NES buttons would be mapped to the A and B buttons as they should, but I guess not. Oh well.
    My Game Collection
    "I am only what you see me as." - Obsidian Rose

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Cloud121 View Post
    After seeing the controller, I got my hopes up, only for them to be dashed while watching the video review. I was really hoping that the NES buttons would be mapped to the A and B buttons as they should, but I guess not. Oh well.
    At least the "B" button is to the LEFT of the "A" button for NES games.

That seems to be an issue with some of the famiclones coming out of HK recently mapping the buttons A-B instead of B-A left-to-right ... they seem to have forgotten the game-breaking importance form-factor of that in games like Super Mario Brothers.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

If the NES A and B buttons had been mapped to the SNES A and B, you'd have the same troubles you do playing something like one of the Mario Advance titles on the DS.

I'm glad they didn't, this is the superior layout. Even if the letters don't match.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Cloud121D
    PSN
    Cloud121
    Steam
    Cloud121D

I'm probably most likely going to get this. However, do repros work okay? I plan on getting FFII, Mother, Just Breed, and maybe a couple others fairly soon.

Also, speaking of which, I'd assume battery backed games work fine too? Zelda, Dragon Quest, etc?

Oh and, the controllers look a little thicker than first-party Super Famicom controllers. Are they? I hope so.
    My Game Collection

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm wondering if a multi-tap will work on both SNES and NES games? I have some multiplayer games for my SNES but I'm not sure if there are any for the NES (bomberman?).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by 98redM6 View Post
    I'm wondering if a multi-tap will work on both SNES and NES games? I have some multiplayer games for my SNES but I'm not sure if there are any for the NES (bomberman?).
    I doubt that the SNES mutltap will work for NES multitap games. In fact, I'm going to go out on a limb and say - no.

On the other hand, I see no reason why the SNES multitap won't work as it's supposed to on SNES games.

Plus, if you want to play multiplayer Bomberman - as cool as Bomberman 2 is on NES - Super Bomberman on SNES is the way to go for multiplayer.

I have heard rumblings that INNEX is going to release a NES controller to SNES controller port adapter in the near future ... I guess we'll have to wait and see to do NES accessory tests. (Zapper, Advantage, Four-Score, etc.)

As far as repros go - I have a SNES TEXT-LOCALIZED REPRO of Dragon Quest V that I tested and worked great, and the Famicom games I tested were all pirate carts. I'm pretty sure that US repros would work fine, but I don't have any modern US NES repros to actually test.

Battery save NES and SNES games work and boot correctly.
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 03-12-2008 at 01:08 PM.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I doubt that the SNES mutltap will work for NES multitap games. In fact, I'm going to go out on a limb and say - no.

On the other hand, I see no reason why the SNES multitap won't work as it's supposed to on SNES games.

Plus, if you want to play multiplayer Bomberman - as cool as Bomberman 2 is on NES - Super Bomberman on SNES is the way to go for multiplayer.

I have heard rumblings that INNEX is going to release a NES controller to SNES controller port adapter in the near future ... I guess we'll have to wait and see to do NES accessory tests. (Zapper, Advantage, Four-Score, etc.)

As far as repros go - I have a SNES TEXT-LOCALIZED REPRO of Dragon Quest V that I tested and worked great, and the Famicom games I tested were all pirate carts. I'm pretty sure that US repros would work fine, but I don't have any modern US NES repros to actually test.

Battery save NES and SNES games work and boot correctly.
    Frankie,

Do you happen to have Super Mario RPG, MegaMan X2, X3, or Stunt Race FX? I am curious if these play.

-GAC-
    #vbender

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by GrandAmChandler View Post
    Frankie,

Do you happen to have Super Mario RPG, MegaMan X2, X3, or Stunt Race FX? I am curious if these play.

-GAC-
    I don't own it Super Mario RPG is confirmed working by multiple sources.

I only have Mega Max X, which does work fine.

Can't give a confirmation on X2 or X3 ... did those use anything above and beyond standard SNES game chips (even in that case, I'm assuming they would work).

I'd be interested to see if Stunt Race works, and I'd again assume it would since Star Fox runs perfect from what I can see.

I'll be bringing my RetroDuo down to the next NAVA. If anybody has anything they'd like to test in-person, bring it down and we'll give it a whirl.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I don't own it Super Mario RPG is confirmed working by multiple sources.

I only have Mega Max X, which does work fine.

Can't give a confirmation on X2 or X3 ... did those use anything above and beyond standard SNES game chips (even in that case, I'm assuming they would work).

I'd be interested to see if Stunt Race works, and I'd again assume it would since Star Fox runs perfect from what I can see.

I'll be bringing my RetroDuo down to the next NAVA. If anybody has anything they'd like to test in-person, bring it down and we'll give it a whirl.
    Megaman X2 & X3 have a special C4 chip installed on the cartridge. I believe they were incompatible with previous SNES Clones.

EDIT: Link:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cx4_chip
    #vbender

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by GrandAmChandler View Post
    Megaman X2 & X3 have a special C4 chip installed on the cartridge. I believe they were incompatible with previous SNES Clones.

EDIT: Link:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cx4_chip
    Ah, interesting ... we need to put out an open call to other RetroDuo owners to give either of those a try!

Here's a list of NES game that have given other NOAC systems a hard time - I'll do what I can to make a reference list for the Duo.

http://www.triforcegamez.com/store/i...id=1&chapter=1
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 03-12-2008 at 06:58 PM.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Ah, interesting ... we need to put out an open call to other RetroDuo owners to give either of those a try!

Here's a list of NES game that have given other NOAC systems a hard time - I'll do what I can to make a reference list for the Duo.

http://www.triforcegamez.com/store/i...id=1&chapter=1
    Someone needs to play River City Ransom extensively, maybe entering a password to a later level, as you progress the NEX doesn't like RCR too much. Graphics get screwy later on throughout the game.
    #vbender

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'd be curious if Top Gear 3000 plays correctly, I can't find my cart right now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

I put an open call with a list of specific games on the March NAVA thread.

If you're going to be there, check the list, check what you own, bring it down and we'll test it out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Cloud121D
    PSN
    Cloud121
    Steam
    Cloud121D

Hey Frankie, was wondering if you could take a picture of the AC Adaptor for me? I'd really appreciate it.

Oh and, I'm really looking forward to seeing your compatibility list (Gauntlet?).
    My Game Collection

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

"When ONLY the S-VIDEO cable is plugged in NES games DO NOT DISPLAY ON SCREEN, so you need to either have both in and deal with the strange NES resolution, or unplug the S-VIDEO on both ends when using the NES side of the system. (SEE VIDEO OUTPUT COMPARISON BELOW)"

Frankie, it's interesting you say that. I also have a Retro Duo (I contributed to the earlier thread) and I tried this just this evening. Used only the S-video cables on each side. The NES games still displayed on the screen.

And I'm still getting a drop in the quality of the composite signal on the SNES. NES looks great on composite, crappy on S-video. The opposite for SNES. I'm heartened to see that someone else has duplicated my experience with the NES signal -- now what about the SNES one?