Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: RetroDuo NES/SNES Clone Official Thread. Castlevania III, StarFox WORK, SMRPG WARNING

Insert Coin (Level 0) lovablechevy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    Thanks for the link, I'll be sure to give that a good read and compare notes.
    no problem! i did the review, and i unfortunately don't own an original nes. but, i do state that in my review. i like reading other people's review of the retro duo. thanks for posting one!

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have the Retro Duo White Model,Super Mario World 2 Yoshi's Island doesn't seem to work.Can anyone confirm this?..

UPDATE:It works,just tooked some time to load!..
    Last edited by ooXxXoo; 03-24-2008 at 04:20 PM.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Also,for some strange reason if only the s-video cable is connected and all of the RCA jacks are not(no audio or composite video),the S-video will display fine for the NES side as well,but as soon as you plug an audio cable it goes ballistic!

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

WoW!...I can't believe it!
    This little beast has a Samsung KA2198BD RGB Encoder PAL/NTSC.Therefore it has RGB outputs.Modding Time!..Get Yours while they last!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ooXxXoo View Post
    This little beast has a Samsung KA2198BD RGB Encoder PAL/NTSC.Therefore it has RGB outputs.Modding Time!..Get Yours while they last!
    can you explain in plain english what this means?

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Interesting info!

If you don't fubar your unit in the process of making it RGB - please be sure to make some modification diagrams and post them.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm interested now

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Its me again....I got another set of the Retro Duo today(Black model)...I did some comparison side by side between the 2 models(White/Black),and found just a few differences.It seems to be more than one revision made to the Retro Duo mother board.The only change that I noticed between them was just a chip...For some reason the controllers included with the white model are better responding than the ones found with the Black one,specially with fighting games such as Street Fighter II where you have to make all sorts of moves...The white system cartridge ports seem to hold in place the games better.The cartrige ports found in the Black model are a bit more loose when inserting a game...the s-video signals provided by the white model are just a notch cleaner than the black one,but the sound is much better within the black system.They both have the same Samsung RGB encoder!...If you are curious to see what the Retro Duo motherboard looks like,take a look!...

http://usera.imagecave.com/capcom2000/HPIM5847.JPG

There is a clock missing in both of the boards but I'm thinking that it may be for the PAL systems.
    Last edited by ooXxXoo; 03-28-2008 at 12:01 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Its me again....I got another set of the Retro Duo today(Black model)...I did some comparison side by side between the 2 models(White/Black),and found just a few differences.It seems to be more than one revision made to the Retro Duo mother board.The only change that I noticed between them was just a chip...For some reason the controllers included with the white model are better responding than the ones found with the Black one,specially with fighting games such as Street Fighter II where you have to make all sorts of moves...The white system cartridge ports seem to hold in place the games better.The cartrige ports found in the Black model are a bit more loose when inserting a game...the s-video signals provided by the white model are just a notch cleaner than the black one,but the sound is much better within the black system.They both have the same Samsung RGB encoder!...If you are curious to see what the Retro Duo motherboard looks like,take a look!...

http://usera.imagecave.com/capcom2000/HPIM5847.JPG

There is a clock missing in both of the boards but I'm thinking that it may be for the PAL systems.
    GREAT info!

Admittedly a bit of it is greek to me, but I understand the concept of A/V output mods.

Keep us posted if you attempt an RGB mod.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Its me again....I got another set of the Retro Duo today(Black model)...I did some comparison side by side between the 2 models(White/Black),and found just a few differences.It seems to be more than one revision made to the Retro Duo mother board.The only change that I noticed between them was just a chip...For some reason the controllers included with the white model are better responding than the ones found with the Black one,specially with fighting games such as Street Fighter II where you have to make all sorts of moves...The white system cartridge ports seem to hold in place the games better.The cartrige ports found in the Black model are a bit more loose when inserting a game...the s-video signals provided by the white model are just a notch cleaner than the black one,but the sound is much better within the black system.They both have the same Samsung RGB encoder!
    huh... that's really weird! thanks for this tid-bit! i only have a white one so i wouldn't know there was a difference. of course, i bought my brother a black one, but he hasn't even opened it yet.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you are able to compare the 2 models whenever you get the chance,let us know if you find any differences...Believe it or not the cartridge connectors for the SNES and NES sides on the white model are better quality than the ones within the black.

For those wanting to get RGB..The RGB lines can be easily driven out with a 75ohm resistor and a 220uf capacitor for each output line from leg 21,leg 22 and leg 23 of the Samsung KA2198BD.There are plenty of data sheets for this particular encoder out there...Since the Retro Duo directly uses the s-video output lines from the encoder,leg 15 and leg 16 (C/Y) ,it would be wise to disconnect them from it,otherwise it may become corrupted and there will be no RGB mod for anybody!

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

Hey GAC, where are your repros from you tested? I got an Earthbound Zero from Dave that he made, and I'm looking into gettting a "blinkless" NES device to play it on...

How do the PAL games work on this, anyway? No rolling screens?
    Last edited by Cryomancer; 03-30-2008 at 08:06 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

We did some testing (on video for posterity) of a bunch of games at the NAVA meeting, I need to cut the videos together to fit on one or two YouTube spots, but here's the rundown of what we found :

Gauntlet for NES (the black unlicensed Tengen version) works fine. MYTH BUSTED!

Rolling Thunder for NES (also black, unlicensed Tengen version) does not boot on the Duo.

A TON of other strange unlicensed stuff and random NES cartridges worked GREAT, including but not limited to : Quattro Adventure, Chiller, Sunday Funday, Bible Adventures, Star Tropics 1 & 2, Pacmania, Klax, The Adventures of Bayou Billy, Batman
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 03-31-2008 at 11:32 AM.

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can't wait to buy one, I just need to find out if MegaMan X2 or X3 works on it. Impressive that Stunt Race FX works however
    These cartridges are dirty as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
    Hey GAC, where are your repros from you tested? I got an Earthbound Zero from Dave that he made, and I'm looking into gettting a "blinkless" NES device to play it on...

How do the PAL games work on this, anyway? No rolling screens?
    I got mine from Dave as well, it should work.
    #vbender

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

Good to hear!

So where's the best place to score one of these? Maybe some of the shops in madison would have some, hmm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you are able to compare the 2 models whenever you get the chance,let us know if you find any differences...Believe it or not the cartridge connectors for the SNES and NES sides on the white model are better quality than the ones within the black.
    i'll do that when i get the chance. my brother wants to finish his ps game of chrono trigger before he busts out his retro duo. then he says he's gonna play secret of evermore and super mario rpg. so i'll see if i can tell any differences!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got to see one of these first hand today. They look pretty nice, but the dpads on the included controllers are dreadful.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You are totally right!....those D-pads are not very responsive...But it is only a D-pad plastic molding flop,nothing mayor....I had a dead original SNES controller and did some D-pad swapping between them two and now is all good....
    http://usera.imagecave.com/capcom2000/HPIM5869.JPG

Strongly recommended!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i find the d-pads to be great! the problem is the actual pads inside the controller. i swapped those out with original snes pads and it feels great! there were just a few cuts that needed to be made so they fit the same. that way, the controller still looks exactly the same, but has the responsiveness of the original snes controllers! woo hoo!