Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: RetroDuo NES/SNES Clone Official Thread. Castlevania III, StarFox WORK, SMRPG WARNING

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That was the first thing I did ....some cutting around inside and change the rubber pads...but still wasn't enough at least with the black controllers...Then,realized that it was the actual D-pad.They are very thin molded compared to the Original SNES ones.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

I should have those test videos up tonight.

Spoiler alert : the only thing we couldn't get to run on the NES side of things was Rolling Thunder.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Those dpads are awful. I can't imagine how anyone could like them. if you press too hard all four directions can be pressed at the same time. It's like they don't even have the little rocker peg in the middle.

Insert Coin (Level 0) lovablechevy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    Those dpads are awful. I can't imagine how anyone could like them. if you press too hard all four directions can be pressed at the same time. It's like they don't even have the little rocker peg in the middle.
    umm... ok... have you tried switching out the pads on the inside? i definitely do not EVER have that problem. or maybe you just press too hard to begin with.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Blitzwing256's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

hey consider that a feature, for example in link to the past if you hit up and down at the same time you can preform a walk through walls glitch ;-)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lovablechevy View Post
    umm... ok... have you tried switching out the pads on the inside? i definitely do not EVER have that problem. or maybe you just press too hard to begin with.
    I had to press pretty hard to get any direction to register. Applying the same amount of force to the middle of the pad caused the entire '+' to drop.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    I had to press pretty hard to get any direction to register. Applying the same amount of force to the middle of the pad caused the entire '+' to drop.
    like i said: "have you tried switching out the pads on the inside?" i never claimed that the controllers in their original out-of-the-box newness are good. in fact, in my review i even state that the controllers are the one thing i don't like about the system. that is, until i swapped the pads around. and yes, the d-pad does have the rocker peg.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    I should have those test videos up tonight.

Spoiler alert : the only thing we couldn't get to run on the NES side of things was Rolling Thunder.
    Sorry, still dragging my feet on this one.

Been busy this week.

All the video files are on my HDD, I just need to do a few quick edits and get them up on my YouTube.

It'll happen soon, I promise.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

You guys happen to test any SuperNes games? I'm still curious if Top Gear 3000 plays correctly. I can't seem to locate my cart.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post
    You guys happen to test any SuperNes games? I'm still curious if Top Gear 3000 plays correctly. I can't seem to locate my cart.
    I don't have a very extensive SNES collection ... but I'll do my best to remember that one for future testing sessions.

Other R.D. owners, if you've got access to that title, please give it a test.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here I go again!....
    ATTENTION RETRO DUO OWNERS!
    I'm the owner of 3 Retro Duo systems...each have a different revision made to their motherboard....I've found a major flop in one of them(only in the 16 bit SNES side,the NES side runs on its own)...At the beggining I wasn't sure until I did further testing...One of my Retro Duo's(white model) while playing it,I noticed that the sound was horribly off and distorded,including the sound effects that some games produce.Every game sounded as if it was running so slow compared to the original SNES or the other Retro Duo's sounds....tooked a closer look at the guts of the system,did my algebra and voila!...Found the problem...It seems that at some point the en-sambling factory ran out of parts and decided to replace with others instead...Again this problem may be with some revisions ONLY...So,if you think that you may have this issue with your Retro Duo,I'm currently writing a tutorial on "how to do it yourself fix" that I will be posting at my site,especially if your guarantee has expired and there is no way to return it....But it is essential for me to find on how many systems with this problem could be out there.....Please let me know if possible....
    By the way,I found other problems regarding the ribbon cables of the Retro Duo,they have the tendency to break easily,so if your composite video,audio,s-video or even power has gone from your RetroDuo,is more likely a failure with a ribbon cable,an Easy fix but it can be a pain!...I'll try to write another repair tutorial for this as well....Don't give me wrong I still love my RDuo's but I'm trying to recognise the problems before they pop up on me!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by ooXxXoo View Post
    Here I go again!....
    ATTENTION RETRO DUO OWNERS!
    I'm the owner of 3 Retro Duo systems...each have a different revision made to their motherboard....I've found a major flop in one of them(only in the 16 bit SNES side,the NES side runs on its own)...At the beggining I wasn't sure until I did further testing...One of my Retro Duo's(white model) while playing it,I noticed that the sound was horribly off and distorded,including the sound effects that some games produce.Every game sounded as if it was running so slow compared to the original SNES or the other Retro Duo's sounds....tooked a closer look at the guts of the system,did my algebra and voila!...Found the problem...It seems that at some point the en-sambling factory ran out of parts and decided to replace with others instead...Again this problem may be with some revisions ONLY...So,if you think that you may have this issue with your Retro Duo,I'm currently writing a tutorial on "how to do it yourself fix" that I will be posting at my site,especially if your guarantee has expired and there is no way to return it....But it is essential for me to find on how many systems with this problem could be out there.....Please let me know if possible....
    By the way,I found other problems regarding the ribbon cables of the Retro Duo,they have the tendency to break easily,so if your composite video,audio,s-video or even power has gone from your RetroDuo,is more likely a failure with a ribbon cable,an Easy fix but it can be a pain!...I'll try to write another repair tutorial for this as well....Don't give me wrong I still love my RDuo's but I'm trying to recognise the problems before they pop up on me!
    And as you move forward in your research, we admire your determination to explore the advances, revisions, and limitations of the system's design.

Please continue to share everything that you find and/or any modification/repair schematics that you devise!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Smile

Anyone try one of these with a PowerPak?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by remowilliams View Post
    Anyone try one of these with a PowerPak?
    I don't have one ... so far they've been a bit too expensive (and very rarely in-stock on RetroUSB) for me to buy for my NES collection.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    GnawRadar

I don't believe he has posted it yet, but I heard GrandAmChandler went to pull a cart out, I'm not sure if it was SNES or NES, out of the RetroDuo and the pin connector came out with it. Has anyone else had this problem or heard of this problem?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GnawRadar View Post
    I don't believe he has posted it yet, but I heard GrandAmChandler went to pull a cart out, I'm not sure if it was SNES or NES, out of the RetroDuo and the pin connector came out with it. Has anyone else had this problem or heard of this problem?
    have not heard anything like that before. my retro duos have very firm pin connectors. in fact, i'm trying to remove one for a project i'm working on and am having tons of problems getting it off!

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GnawRadar View Post
    Yes it is very possible.....When I was looking into the guts of my retro duo's I noticed that the NES cartridge port in one of them was missing a screw to hold it down in place....so,with a good amount of force I'm sure it can come completely loose. And like I mention before,the ribbon cables can be easy become broken as well...
    Last edited by ooXxXoo; 04-10-2008 at 09:51 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sounds like a clone alright.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    I don't have one ... so far they've been a bit too expensive (and very rarely in-stock on RetroUSB) for me to buy for my NES collection.
    Holy Moly - I can't believe it - the PowerPak DOES work with the RetroDuo. AFAIK - first clone ever to do so!