Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: RetroDuo NES/SNES Clone Official Thread. Castlevania III, StarFox WORK, SMRPG WARNING

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by remowilliams View Post
    Holy Moly - I can't believe it - the PowerPak DOES work with the RetroDuo. AFAIK - first clone ever to do so!
    Does this information come from a personal test you ran with your own hardware, or do you have a link to an outside source?

Please let me know so I can report on it. Thanks!!
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    Does this information come from a personal test you ran with your own hardware, or do you have a link to an outside source?

Please let me know so I can report on it. Thanks!!
    Personal test with my own hardware. The RetroDuo may still have a few incompatibilities, but working with the PowerPak puts this system *WAY* over the top of all other clones!

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by GnawRadar View Post
    I don't believe he has posted it yet, but I heard GrandAmChandler went to pull a cart out, I'm not sure if it was SNES or NES, out of the RetroDuo and the pin connector came out with it. Has anyone else had this problem or heard of this problem?
    I am chalking it up to a random defect, I got a replacement unit, it seems fine.

EDIT: Also, "Vs. The Goonies" NES Repro cart by Video Game Kingdom also works great with this system
    #vbender

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Updated 1st page with new info!
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

So does anyone know if Mega Man X2 or X3 work?
    #vbender

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

X2 and a RetroDuo are on my "to-buy" list. I'd get X3, but I have the PC version already (still want it though).

I asked the couple that owns the retro game booth at my local flea market about the RetroDuo, and they said they won't carry it. The reason: quality concerns. They claimed that they had heard nothing but bad things about them breaking and wearing out quickly. I asked if they meant the FC Twin and other Yobo systems, but they seemed to know what I was talking about.

I own an NES and a SNES, but neither one looks close to decent on my 42" LCD, on any available input. My NES over RCA plugs looks like the page 1 shots of nes-over-s-video with the solid colors not being solid, and coax looks about the same but sounds better. SNES looks bright and washed out over coax, and has a big discolored vertical strip down the center-left. Mode7 effects have weird "shadows" over other graphics (especially the pendulum screen in Chrono Trigger). I'd love to try component output on SNES, if there's available cables or a pinout to make a set.

Would a RetroDuo offer a proper solution to my problems, or would it be mostly the same? From what I've read, the compatibility is high enough, it's just a question of quality.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hello and welcome to the forums!...The Retro Duo is by far the best NES/SNES clone that I have seen..But,like any other clone it has its ups and downs...I'am the proud owner of 3 Retro Duos.On my personal experience with them,I have found a few minor problems that with little technical knowledge, can be fixed...(missing screws to hold the actual cartridge connectors and broken ribbon cables)...Funny thing is that the en-samblers new of these problems when putting them together and in some cases they decided to only add jumper wires instead fixing the whole thing).....
    For the SNES side,the company that manucfatures the Retro Duo went the extra mile by giving us a RGB encoder....The Y/C signals provide true s-video for it.
    NES side,it is good compared to other clones..But for me there is a bit of sound issue...
    Other than that, it has great compatibility with games and accessories!...I'll definately recommend it!..
    Last edited by ooXxXoo; 04-13-2008 at 02:33 PM.
    §ø Ï ζ Ξ Δ φ Ψ ς ώ ☆ ¿ ∞ ♪ ξ

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ooXxXoo View Post
    Hello and welcome to the forums!...The Retro Duo is by far the best NES/SNES clone that I have seen..But,like any other clone it has its ups and downs...I'am the proud owner of 3 Retro Duos.On my personal experience with them,I have found a few minor problems that with little technical knowledge, can be fixed...(missing screws to hold the actual cartridge connectors and broken ribbon cables)...Funny thing is that the en-samblers new of these problems when putting them together and in some cases they decided to only add jumper wires instead fixing the whole thing).....
    For the SNES side,the company that manucfatures the Retro Duo went the extra mile by giving us a RGB encoder....The Y/C signals provide true s-video for it.
    NES side,it is good compared to other clones..But for me there is a bit of sound issue...
    Other than that, it has great compatibility with games and accessories!...I'll definately recommend it!..
    I know that you've mentioned the RGB output before, but do you have any diagrams or specific information relating to a mod for the RD? In my particular case, either VGA or component cables would work nicely. If not, S-Video should suffice.

I'm pretty much sold on the RD, just waiting a bit to hear on how they hold up, etc. Most likely going to buy from Amazon sellers, unless anyone else knows a better/cheaper source.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wired a NES connector to the RetroDuo and it works just fine. So now I can use the Messiah pad while playing the NES side. NES lightgun is next on my experiment list, but I need another SNES pad for the extra pins/wiring, as a regular SNES pad leaves two signals unconnected.

The NES sound so far seems to be pretty good, I haven't really noticed any major issues with the exception of Jackal. Jackal seems to be particularly bad - the 'melody' side of the music seems muted, while the percussion is fine; the firing sound is wrong/garbled; the grenade sound is almost non existent. Anyone else notice this in Jackal?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wired a NES connector to the RetroDuo and it works just fine. So now I can use the Messiah pad while playing the NES side. NES lightgun is next on my experiment list, but I need another SNES pad for the extra pins/wiring, as a regular SNES pad leaves two signals unconnected.

The NES sound so far seems to be pretty good, I haven't really noticed any major issues with the exception of Jackal. Jackal seems to be particularly bad - the 'melody' side of the music seems muted, while the percussion is fine; the firing sound is wrong/garbled; the grenade sound is almost non existent. Anyone else notice this in Jackal?
    Super Mario Bros 3 does this for me!....catching speed and the tail flying sound effects are hardly there!...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro View Post
    Aside from the terrible "RetroDuo" logo, the unit is actually pretty...PRETTY!
    Man, what was I thinking? Thing looks like a rejected pen stand design designed for Ikea by Fisher-Price.

Shiny black plastic doesn't withstand the ravages of time very well, I'm afraid.

Anyway, I wouldn't say that detracts from the utility or the decent dimensions of the device - six by six inches is pretty good.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm probably going to go ahead and order mine. Which color though? Everything on my racks is black, save for my Wii and a blue Linksys router. I'm tempted to go for the black one, but wasn't the white one mentioned as having better construction or quality?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll try to give you an idea from my personal opinion on which one to get!...I've found a major issue with one the(clocks)crystal oscillators on the white model... it can be replaced to work great again...Although this issue may only be within a few revisions,since I already have seen as many as 3 different of them...
    Later on,I got another brand new Black Retro Duo for me little nephew, and as I first started testing it,the s-video feature didn't work at all...Again,I opened the system case and found many of its ribbon cables broken...I replaced all of them and now if fine....But remember,this problem came from a new sealed system(factory defective)!....my tutorials to fix these problems should be available soon....In the mean time I hope this info helps with your decition..,
    Also,there is a static problem with the Black plastic shell color,kind of like what the PS3 suffers of, it will be full of dust in a matter of seconds+mine came all scratched when new,while in the white model you can't really tell as much.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmmm. Considering that the S-Video is the main reason I'm getting one, I might wait a bit. As soon as I know for sure that they're up to the quality I'm hoping for, I'll go for it. Aside from old IDE cables, I don't really have a lot of supplies that I could use to fix one offhand.

(and I REALLY want one now >_<)

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Unfortunately,at times specially clones and sometimes even official systems,later revisions happen to be worse than the earlier's ones...I'm hoping that due to the Retro Duo production cost they won't start to replace electronics parts for others that'll be cheaper...One of my concerns could be the encoder...they could easily drop the whole samsung encoder and get a cheaper one(without RGB),or none at all...You should get your Retro Duo with high hopes,hoping for the best!..It may get worse!..

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Also,there is a static problem with the Black plastic shell color,kind of like what the PS3 suffers of, it will be full of dust in a matter of seconds+mine came all scratched when new,while in the white model you can't really tell as much.
    Yeah, same issue here. I coated the thing with Novus plastic polish and it does help quite a bit though.

So after some more playing around with the RetroDuo, here are some more observations:

- My Tototek SNES flash cart works just fine with it
    - PowerPak sram load/save works fine
    - I have a Super Mario World cart that does not boot at all on the RD. Oddly enough if attached to a Game Genie, it works fine
    - My Rolling Thunder cart will not boot/run properly on the RD, but the same game loaded from the PowerPak works fine
    - My Dragon Warrior cart will not boot on the RD, but will work fine if attached to the NES Game Genie

Overall I am very pleased with the RD. It does seem to have some odd sound issues that the Yobo/FC didn't have, but the NES compatibility overall is better.

I've had extensive experience with other clones such as the NEX, Yobos, FCTwin, Blade, Power, etc. and though still imperfect, I proclaim the RD King of the Nintendo Clones!

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Unfortunately,at times specially clones and sometimes even official systems,later revisions happen to be worse than the earlier's ones...I'm hoping that due to the Retro Duo production cost they won't start to replace electronics parts for others that'll be cheaper...One of my concerns could be the encoder...they could easily drop the whole samsung encoder and get a cheaper one(without RGB),or none at all...You should get your Retro Duo with high hopes,hoping for the best!..It may get worse!..
    I ordered a black one from an Amazon seller just a second ago, after reading that. I have a feeling you're going to be right.

Are you sure the RGB encoder isn't part of the design for something important to the console itself? If there's anything I've learned from hobbyist electronics, it's that one chip can be used for lots of different things.

And also, I'm still wondering about that chip. Could I hook composite cables up to it and get 480p signal or is it really just for SCART?

Insert Coin (Level 0) lovablechevy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

- I have a Super Mario World cart that does not boot at all on the RD. Oddly enough if attached to a Game Genie, it works fine
    - My Dragon Warrior cart will not boot on the RD, but will work fine if attached to the NES Game Genie
    huh... that's really weird! both of my super mario world and dragon warrior carts work perfectly...

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, turns out the shipper I ordered from on Amazon is out of black ones, so it looks like I'm getting a white one (they described it as Retro Duo (blue)).

I hate sellers that post out of stock items...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lovablechevy View Post
    huh... that's really weird! both of my super mario world and dragon warrior carts work perfectly...
    Yeah, I think it is probably an issue with the specific cart/connectors that isn't mating quite right with the RetroDuo, and that the GGs alleviate it.

I'd still like to know why Rolling Thunder carts have been reported as not working (mine too) but I can play it from the PowerPak just fine.