Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: RetroDuo NES/SNES Clone Official Thread. Castlevania III, StarFox WORK, SMRPG WARNING

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by remowilliams View Post
    Yeah, I think it is probably an issue with the specific cart/connectors that isn't mating quite right with the RetroDuo, and that the GGs alleviate it.

I'd still like to know why Rolling Thunder carts have been reported as not working (mine too) but I can play it from the PowerPak just fine.
    Might have something to do with the hardware or pins on the Tengen cart.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Who manufactures the Retro Duo and is there a manufacturer website?
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by josekortez View Post
    I'll let you know as soon as mine comes, should be within the week.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by josekortez View Post
    I am not sure if they manufacture it, but this company backs it as their own:

http://www.innexinc.com/

-GAC-
    #vbender

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GrandAmChandler View Post
    I am not sure if they manufacture it, but this company backs it as their own:

http://www.innexinc.com/

-GAC-
    From the looks of it, Innex is the wholesale supplier, meaning that someone else designs/manufactures it. I might consider calling them to get some more information, as I'm pretty interested in figuring out just where these things originate.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got mine today in the afternoon, and I've been enjoying it ever since. I'll post the pics soon, I'm also working on recording videos of my compatibility tests. I just recorded every SNES game I have, NES is tomorrow morning's project. For now, I'm going to give my initial review.

I love the packaging. For once, an unofficial product neither immitates the real thing or looks so generic that you can't tell what it is. There's a definite style and it has a fitting logo. Mine came still sealed on both sides with those clear plastic circle stickers, easily peeled one off and folded it inside the cardboard. It states that Retro Duo is trademarked... but not by who >_<.

The controllers are indeed second-rate. On both of mine, it seems slightly harder to press up or down, but the buttons seem fine. When inspecting, they push in a bit far, but they're fine for playing. And yes, they got the convex/concave buttons right. However, I don't get any turbo in NES, with either included pad or my original SNES pad. Some have complained about them being clicky, but I don't mind that, especially on the triggers.

The manual is obviously written by someone who DOES have a grasp on the English language, but some of the points are a bit humerous or odd. I'll scan it tomorrow.

SNES carts go in with minimal force, but I can feel them go down. Removing them is actually difficult, and requires a good bit of force. NES goes in the same, but requires a bit less force to remove. Still, it has a good grip.

The most important point I want to make is how odd it acted at first. I initially only plugged in the audio and S-Video. The first game I tried was Super Mario World, which started up fine. Sound was good, picture was very crisp and looked MUCH better than on my real SNES over composite. Once I entered a level, the whole picture had a "shadow" starting down and to the right about 1/3 of the screen. Next, I tried Star Fox, which was fine, except for big squares of wrong colors that came and went. Skies were blue though. Next was Megaman X, which started up fine until the opening level. The green highway was gray. Last was Chrono Trigger, which also had gray areas, but they were on lots of different things. No sprites, just backgrounds. At this point, I decided to try the composite cable, and I plugged it in so BOTH were active. Problem fixed, beautiful image. I unplug the composite cable, and the color stays proper. Retried the other games, same thing. SNES is perfect, just needed to warm up or something weird like that.

NES looks the same as real hardware on my TV over composite, lots of static trails and a big vertical bar of gray down the middle like a translucent shadow. S-Video is black and white, but it's a much clearer image without the distortion. With both cables on the same input, the picture is clear but the color flickers and makes rainbow effects. Also, the whole screen has light vertical barring.

I'll post pictures of all this tomorrow, as well as edit and upload my playtest footage. All things considered, the Retro Duo was definitely a good purchase, and it does not disappoint. I tried it on my old tv, and the NES static smears don't occur, but the vertical barring does, so some of my problems are display-related.

Everything listed is excellent unless specified otherwise

SNES:
    Chrono Trigger
    Donkey Kong Country
    Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
    Earthbound
    Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
    Mega Man's Soccer
    Mega Man X
    Star Fox
    Super Mario Kart
    Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars - Doesn't boot, guessing I have 1.1 or 1.2
    Super Mario World
    Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
    Super Metroid
    Super R-Type
    Last edited by NayusDante; 04-21-2008 at 11:26 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This looks pretty damn cool.
    Does anyone know any place that has them for a reasonable price in the EU, or a place that won't charge $45 (like every eBay seller) to ship it to Sweden? I'm really interested in getting one, but not for like 80 bucks.. :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Would they work here in the UK? Would it just be a case of getting the right AV & plug socket adaptors? I am very interested too. I am planning on getting NTSC consoles eventually but I might just go for this in the interim.

If they are not stocked/distibuted in the EU, shipping costs will be inevitable & within my parameters at the end of the day. No Chrono Trigger =
    Chet: It's futuristic, but that's a crate.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I was lucky to obtain two different NTSC Super Mario RPG carts. The one that said "Made in Japan" did not work on the Retro Duo. However, the one that said "Made in Mexico" worked great. I don't know if this is a sure fire way to tell which one works, but it may give some help.

-GAC-
    #vbender

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

First part of my review and testing - HERE

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GrandAmChandler View Post
    I was lucky to obtain two different NTSC Super Mario RPG carts. The one that said "Made in Japan" did not work on the Retro Duo. However, the one that said "Made in Mexico" worked great. I don't know if this is a sure fire way to tell which one works, but it may give some help.

-GAC-
    interesting!....My Super Mario RPG game made in Japan does not work in it!...may be a good call.
    §ø Ï ζ Ξ Δ φ Ψ ς ώ ☆ ¿ ∞ ♪ ξ

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NayusDante View Post
    First part of my review and testing - HERE

Cool video review man!.....Any chance that you have the SNES games: "SSF the new challengers" or "Super Mario All Stars"?...... Trying to find a sound issue in other white Retro Duo's models that I found in a crystal oscillator on mine.
    §ø Ï ζ Ξ Δ φ Ψ ς ώ ☆ ¿ ∞ ♪ ξ

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ooXxXoo View Post
    Cool video review man!.....Any chance that you have the SNES games: "SSF the new challengers" or "Super Mario All Stars"?...... Trying to find a sound issue in other white Retro Duo's models that I found in a crystal oscillator on mine.
    Nope. >_<

Next part of the video is coming in a bit, just have to edit the clips, which are already separated. If anybody wants more proof of these games working, I'll Rapidshare the actual videos I recorded in one go for each system.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

PART TWO

Two NES games and SNES left to do...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Off topic but is that NES Star Trek game you showed any good? It looked decent but I didn't see any gameplay.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post
    Off topic but is that NES Star Trek game you showed any good? It looked decent but I didn't see any gameplay.
    No. In fact, it's AVGN worthy. Still, neat collectible. It's neat in the fact that you get to beam down to planets and explore, but Spock and McCoy follow you around with really bad path AI and the music is GRATING. The computer game of the same name was entirely different, and MUCH better (graphic adventure).

Part Three - The last part.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gillian Seed X
    PSN
    RyJonJinn

Default Retro Duo Console?

I just ordered a white one off of Amazon, along with a used copy of Super Mario RPG, and a official SNES controller. Do any games have issues on the console? I plan on playing Earthbound, Mega Man 2, Castlevania 2: Simon's Quest, and Archon. I bought the controller, since i heard that the stock Retro Duo controllers buttons are to springy? Anyone have this console?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Pretzel (Level 4) miaandjohnrule's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    OriginalRope

roushimsx beat me to it
    Last edited by miaandjohnrule; 04-24-2008 at 06:14 PM. Reason: too slow

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gillian Seed X
    PSN
    RyJonJinn

Damn! I just noticed that. I hope that the copy of Super Mario RPG that i just bought off of Amazon works with my duo.