Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: RetroDuo NES/SNES Clone Official Thread. Castlevania III, StarFox WORK, SMRPG WARNING

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NayusDante View Post
    Odd, it sounded right to me on the TV, but that describes how Castlevania I sounded for me when I recorded it. Still, it sounded fine on the TV. I'll record C3 later.
    Cool, I'd like to hear a real clean recording of the name entry screen and at least one run through of the main game music loop. Want to ensure that it's not just my RD.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by remowilliams View Post
    Some of the CVIII music is pretty mangled. The name intro screen in particular has what sounds like white noise instead of musical notes. It also generally seems that on the NES side the RD seems to have a bad habit of overclipping melodic instruments when some types of percussion is played.
    I've definitely noticed some of the synth percussion on the NES side of things sounding a bit "flat" (I made note of that in my initial review) ... but the name entry screen on CV III sounds okay to me on my RD ... nothing as bad as white noise.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    I've definitely noticed some of the synth percussion on the NES side of things sounding a bit "flat" (I made note of that in my initial review) ... but the name entry screen on CV III sounds okay to me on my RD ... nothing as bad as white noise.
    Yeah, this is way more than just a bit off... I should say the melody instruments sound like giant buzzing insects rather than white noise.

Here's recordings from a real NES and the RD

http://rapidshare.com/files/11092403...rName.mp3.html
    Last edited by remowilliams; 04-27-2008 at 09:26 PM.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, this is way more than just a bit off... I should say the melody instruments sound like giant buzzing insects rather than white noise.

Here's recordings from a real NES and the RD

Mine sounds nearly identical to the NES recording. Check your manufacture dates, mine are listed on part 3 of my videos.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

I think my Retro Duo is also handling the sound on Castlevania III a bit differently / better than yours, but I'll need to check to be sure.

Since "RapidShare.com" only allows me one free download a day, I'll have to wait till tomorrow to check the 1st recording, but in the event that the 2nd is the Retro Duo output for Castlevania III ... I don't think it's THAT bad.

Yes, it's obviously suffering from emulation issues, and the sound synthesis is a bit on the fuzzy side, however, considering that it's only on the name entry screen I don't see it as a huge issue. (Not that you are.)
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mine sounds nearly identical to the NES recording. Check your manufacture dates, mine are listed on part 3 of my videos.
    Dates appear to be the same. If yours sounds identical to the NES recording, there may be a problem with my RD as they don't sound the same at all.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Since you guys are talking about sound issues, and by looking at remowilliams board, it remind me about my own findings regarding a crystal....It is very important for you all to take a closer look at your board.....First of, the crystal at the front right next to the power switch and reset button, should read as follow: 21.47727

Next, the crystal located almost at the middle of the SNES side(the one between the TCT-978 and TCT-975 chips ,closer to a capacitor)should be: 24.576 or a higher number,...If you happen to have a 21.47727 there instead,the game play in your SNES games will be running slow, with slow distorded sound emulation, not so close to the original SNES system game and sound play.... It can be replaced to run normal....

And finally, the crystal in the NES side at the end, located right next to the A/V jack connectors should read: 21.47727 or 24.576

It'll be great if you all can check on this, and post your results....Your Retro Duo depends on this...
    Last edited by ooXxXoo; 05-01-2008 at 10:22 PM.
    §ø Ï ζ Ξ Δ φ Ψ ς ώ ☆ ¿ ∞ ♪ ξ

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ooXxXoo View Post
    Since you guys are talking about sound issues, and by looking at remowilliams board, it remind me about my own findings regarding the crystal oscillators....It is very important for you all to take a closer look at your board.....First of, the oscillator at the front right next to the power switch and reset button, should read as follow: 21.47727

Next, the oscillator located almost at the middle of the SNES side(the one between the TCT-978 and TCT-975 chips ,closer to a capacitor)should be: 24.576 or a higher number,...If you happen to have a 21.47727 there instead,the game play in your SNES games will be running slow, with slow distorded sound emulation, mnot so close to the original SNES system game and sound play.... It can be replaced to run normal....

And finally, the oscillator in the NES side at the end, located right next to the A/V jack connectors should read: 24.576

It'll be great if you all can check on this, and post your results....Your Retro Duo depends on this...
    First two are good, SNES is perfect. Still, do you have any explanation for my colors being grayed in spots when I first got it, then it getting better after a few uses?

NES oscillator is a 21.47727M. Why the M when none of the others have it? Is this easy/recommended to replace? Can I get the part at Radio Shack?

Also, where Remo's board had an Alliance branded chip, mine has an EliteMT branded one. LP61(funny L)1024S-12 9934S N6R05NA

It looks like there's a spot for an oscillator next to that chip, but neither mine nor Remo's has anything in it.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

First two are good, SNES is perfect. Still, do you have any explanation for my colors being grayed in spots when I first got it, then it getting better after a few uses?

NES oscillator is a 21.47727M. Why the M when none of the others have it? Is this easy/recommended to replace? Can I get the part at Radio Shack?

Also, where Remo's board had an Alliance branded chip, mine has an EliteMT branded one. LP61(funny L)1024S-12 9934S N6R05NA

It looks like there's a spot for an oscillator next to that chip, but neither mine nor Remo's has anything in it.
    I did further testings, and having a 21.47727 crystal in the NES side is perfectly fine.....There is no improvement when having a higher one.....
    I did noticed the missing crystal and different chips brands near the samsung encoder in other revisions.....

The chips appear to be, pin by pin the same,just a clone of each other.....Also,I'm into thinking that the missing crystal could be used for PAL/Secam systems but not for sure....

It is necessary to have a 24.576 in the middle(SNES side) though...If your Retro Duo don't have it and you are not able to find exactly the same, you can always go with a 24.000 instead....You could check for parts at digi-key.com or even at Ebay.
    Last edited by ooXxXoo; 05-01-2008 at 10:24 PM.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmmm. So I guess I'm fine then.

What I'd like at this point:
    A working Mario RPG workaround
    NES S-Video support without flickering rainbow colors

My TV just doesn't have good composite inputs. HDMI and component are teh awesome, but no love for old stuff.

I also noticed some possible polyphony issues in Mega Man 5. Some channels seem to cut out in favor of SE, but it seems a tad off overall. C3 still sounds like an NES though...

I have a feeling that the volume problem is my actual TV and its awful composite inputs. I don't remember the RD sounding low when I tried my retro TV.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gillian Seed X
    PSN
    RyJonJinn

So you guys are saying that some of the Retro Duo's do not run Super NES games properly out of the box? If so, then i better get the right one from Amazon!

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

NayusDante, does your tv has some sort of AVC feature enable?.....This controls the volume, especially in regular tv viewing when some commercials seem to have a higher volume than others.....If it is on, the tv inputs will be controlled as well, making video games to sound low at the begining....You could check with your tv setup.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Buns34 View Post
    So you guys are saying that some of the Retro Duo's do not run Super NES games properly out of the box? If so, then i better get the right one from Amazon!
    So far, Mario RPG seems to be the only confirmed iffy title.

I just did a headphones test on my RD, and NES DOES have proper polyphony. So every problem I'm having (Mario RPG aside) is with my setup, not the RD.

HOWEVER, the static is there. It's more noticeable on the NES. When the SNES is booting a game, I can hear a distinct set of squeaks in the static, weird.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

NayusDante, does your tv has some sort of AVC feature enable?.....This controls the volume, especially in regular tv viewing when some commercials seem to have a higher volume than others.....If it is on, the tv inputs will be controlled as well, making video games to sound low at the begining....You could check with your tv setup.
    Nope, it's pretty basic as far as tweaking. I have a user preset for bass and treble, but that's about it. I cranked up both, which seems to help, but NES is still softer than SNES.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gillian Seed X
    PSN
    RyJonJinn

O.K. good. Its just that he mentioned something about some of the Duo's running the SNES games at a slower speed. Do the cartridges from GameReproductions.com work? I would like to buy Dragon Quest V.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Buns34 View Post
    O.K. good. Its just that he mentioned something about some of the Duo's running the SNES games at a slower speed. Do the cartridges from GameReproductions.com work? I would like to buy Dragon Quest V.
    I wouldn't know about repros, but some stuff seems to run a bit faster, but it might just be me.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

And finally, the oscillator in the NES side at the end, located right next to the A/V jack connectors should read: 24.576
    The crystal next to the AV jacks on mine is 21.47727

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The crystal next to the AV jacks on mine is 21.47727
    Yes, some revisions I've seen have the 24.576 there, but the 21.47727 crystal is just fine.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cool. I'd like to get one more person confirming the audio, but it seems that my NES audio issues are a fault on my RD.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default UK Retro Duo User

Hi all

Just got my Retro Duo through today and thought you might like to hear how it fares on a PAL system.

The version I have is the red and black version 2.0.

First of all - the S-video looks really good and is much better than the normal signal.

all the PAL games run full screen and full speed and the console plugs straight into the mains with an adaptor for the 3 pin plug sockets we have here - no need for a step down converter. EDIT - FALSE - YOU DO NEED A STEP DOWN OR YOU'LL FRY THE CONSOLE

I only have a handful of SNES carts to try out at the moment - i'm waiting on some NES and SNES carts from ebay.

here are the games i've tried:

STREET FIGHTER II USA CART - works fine although as someone already pointed out the pads are not very good for the special moves. The sound in some parts sounds a little different to what I remember but nothing to drastic - I could be imagining it.

ZELDA PAL CART - I don't know if the cart is a little dodgy but I seem to have trouble creating a new character - sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't - the cart has seen better days so it might be that. I'll come to the sound in a bit.

WILLIAMS ARCADE CLASSICS PAL CART - works great - these games are sooo tough!

ALIEN III PAL CART - works fine although the game is pants!

My main area of concern is the sound - on WILLIAMS ARCADE CLASSICS the sound is loud and clear but on the others, especially ZELDA the sound is much quieter and there is more of those weird background sounds apparant that I remember from the 16bit consoles. I'm not sure if this is how it would sound on a proper SNES or not. There is some slight distortion to some of the sound on ZELDA in general.

I'll let you know how it works with more games when I get them through.
    Last edited by fog; 05-01-2008 at 05:52 AM.