Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The TRUE Xbox 360 Failure rates

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default The TRUE Xbox 360 Failure rates

What did that company say 16% or something? Cheapassgamer did a poll of 3500+ people, the results are ridiculous compared to the numbers that that warranty company and Microsoft posted. Check it out, I "Dugg" it for easy viewing:

http://digg.com/xbox/The_TRUE_Xbox_360_Failure_Rates

-GAC-
    #vbender

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

People who have had the RRoD are more likely to participate in a poll asking about the RRoD. People who haven't had the RRoD are not going to respond in equal proportions.

I still say the likelihood of RRoD is 100% if you play your 360 for long periods of time so it is regularly exposed to high temperatures.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    I still say the likelihood of RRoD is 100% if you play your 360 for long periods of time so it is regularly exposed to high temperatures.
    This poll could have been towards all 360 hardware problems. I have two 360s and never had the RRoD. The biggest problem I ever had was the DVD drive not opening on my pro console.

Oh, and the pro console got tons of use until I got an elite. I even left it (The pro) on for two days straight.. Twice.

Level 10 Manly Pink Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Pirate OTK
    PSN
    theguywithus

I'm pretty sure those consoles are after they "fixed the problem".

According to my friend Nick who regularly mods and fixes a random assortment of Consoles and computers, he finds that most 360 consoles when produced Microsoft soldered the entire board using the same temperature. Well, this of course did not hold near the parts, *cough*possessor*cough* excuse me, that get hottest. Thus, during use msot of them became unsoldered.

Of course that's not all of them.. Just the ones that can be fixed with the towel trick. That in turns melts all the inside hardware if you do it enough.

Edit: I do not own a 360.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by Slate View Post
    Oh, and the pro console got tons of use until I got an elite. I even left it (The pro) on for two days straight.. Twice.
    I see what you're saying, but leaving the 360 on for two days doesn't compare to the amount of heat generated by playing a game for 1-2 hours. I'm talking about actual "play time" not idle time.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Pretzel (Level 4) miaandjohnrule's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    OriginalRope

That statistic isn't even close to being accurate. You would need a poll of all 360 users to get an accurate percentage. People on CAG are more rabid and also folks who have had faulty 360s probably have more incentive to be vocal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Pirate OTK
    PSN
    theguywithus

Quote Originally Posted by miaandjohnrule View Post
    That statistic isn't even close to being accurate. You would need a poll of all 360 users to get an accurate percentage. People on CAG are more rabid and also folks who have had faulty 360s probably have more incentive to be vocal.

We realize. Also that's impossible. You may send a survey everyone who has a 360 but you'll only get a percentage back. Even then you can still hold this argument of "faulty people shit and bubbles wahh blah blah" argument anyway.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post

I bought mine a couple months after launch, and have never had an issue.

in fact, when PSU came out, I had a wee bit of an addiction - that and for people who played PSU, there was no lobby jumping when the game came out; so I had one week where the system was not turned off at all, with a lot of heavy playing.

meh, I'm still waiting for mine to die though, it will give me an excuse to buy the sexy black elite

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Those numbers aren't even reasonably accurate.

There are over 10,000,000 xbox 360's sold, 3,000 users isn't going to provide an accurate sample.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BuckyBKatt
    PSN
    Bucky_B_Katt

I go to CAG regularly and I never saw the link or I would have voted that mine has never had a problem.

It's interesting to see but of little importance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

I've got a pre-launch 360 that I've left on for days (and even weeks) at a time - I'd pause the game and turn off the TV, go to work, come back - still going fine.

That being said, I've locked up twice playing Bully recently

I remember when the 360s were coming out people were freaking about power supplies and heat and people were giving the consoles LOTS of breathing room - but people seem to be back to cramming it into their entertainment centers and having bricks sitting on top of piles of wires behind the TV these days when I see other peoples'.... it's a PC, people. Let it breathe.

Banana (Level 7) kaedesdisciple's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    JOEY BLACKOUTS
    PSN
    JOEY_BLACKOUTS

For what it's worth, mine took a little over a year to "die" (it just got the color tint -> no video problem). I had it sitting in the open, nothing blocked any of the vents, out of direct sunlight. I never played it for more than a few (2-3 max) hours at a time, a few times a week.

Hopefully that BB replacement warranty I have comes through here, else I'm gonna be quite upset.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm in the faulty Everything club.

I'm on my 2nd 360 now
    Faulty Rock Band Guitar Club

I'm starting to have video issues with my 2nd 360 dunno if it's the Cable TV or the 360 (seemed to be a loose connection but still I've also had AV problems lately anyway)

so yeah.

my first 360 was made in August of 2006 my 2nd was made August of 2007 (no HDMI out though wah wah)

of my online friends all of them are on their 3rd 360. Of my real life friends none of them have had any problems with their 360 and one of them has a launch unit.

Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by skaar View Post
    ... it's a PC, people. Let it breathe.
    Yup. I've got mine in open space, horizontal, and elevated. My machine is a Pro, which I purchased in October of '07.

I play it maybe 2 or 3 times a week...for maybe an hour or two at a time. It never feels hot. Of course, I keep the room fairly dark, the ceiling fan is always on, and it sits directly across the room from an A/C vent. And I always keep the place at @ 70 degrees.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only way to really get close is to somehow convince UPS to show, on average, how many xboxs they ship back to Microsoft every week. When my buddy took his elite the guy at his UPS said he sends 7 to 8 a week. That's one store, how many UPS stores are their nationwide?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Pirate OTK
    PSN
    theguywithus

Quote Originally Posted by theoakwoody View Post
    The only way to really get close is to somehow convince UPS to show, on average, how many xboxs they ship back to Microsoft every week. When my buddy took his elite the guy at his UPS said he sends 7 to 8 a week. That's one store, how many UPS stores are their nationwide?
    I dunno about you guys but that's a good idea to me.

But we'd need a actual number. That would probably not be possible to get from them. After all I'm sure they don't keep track on what they ship at all.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by theoakwoody View Post

Interesting you say that one of the coffins I mailed back, I dropped it off at Staples, the lady knew what it was by the box size and chuckled saying she's been getting a lot of these lately. That was just after M$ increased the RROD warranty to 3 yrs.

That 360 was dead RROD refurbished one that was about a week over its 90 day warranty.

I had a launch that I sent back 2-3 weeks later due to freezing all the time (no RROD) then got a refurbished that RROD under 90 days, sent back got another one RROD broke out of warranty paid $100-140ish, eventually was reimbursed. Then the other RROD was the outside warranty.

Refused to send back for $140 to get another broke one, bought a new one with Best Buy 2 yr, dvd drive broke changed it and paid more for Elite. Since then the broken one warranty extended and they sent me a new one.

Elite I've had no problems with, sold the other new one for $100. Got a couple of we're sorry letters from M$ and once I got a free I think it was a 2 month xbox live card.

edit: First time it broke they had me ship it DHL
    Last edited by Skelix; 03-10-2008 at 03:52 PM. Reason: update

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I would like to know how much use the 360's got, so we could see if the 360's that have not failed are owned by gamers who dont play as much as people who got the RRoD. I am betting people who got the RR are heavy gamers and people who havent gotten the RRoD yet are casual gamers.

I think that number is a fair representation of "hardcore" gamers. Meaning, people who play a lot of games. People who don't play as much, don't go to gaming websites, so they arent going to vote. The "real" number may be lower, but if you play a lot, I bet those numbers are close. I have not played my 360 as much as most, and I am betting that is why I haven't had a problem. Chances are, if I played it as much as most, I would have a 50-50 chance of RRoD.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ProgrammingAce View Post
    Those numbers aren't even reasonably accurate.

There are over 10,000,000 xbox 360's sold, 3,000 users isn't going to provide an accurate sample.

Why is percentages used in the neisen rating? I am on my 3rd. The funny thing was this recent one seems new manufactured on 2/13/08 but no hdmi go figure.
    neo geo system

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Turntablist
    PSN
    DJ_Daishi

....still waiting for mine to be returned to me from repairs...this is my second RROD.
    -DJ

My EPIC "For Sale" Thread: CLICKY