Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We need Collector's Editions.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default We need Collector's Editions.

Last edited by DefaultGen; 03-12-2023 at 07:14 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Depends on your view.

Your description sans price point sums up the Halo 3: Legendary Edition...which is now almost half price and collecting dust in most stores.

Working Designs tried it with the Lunars and Arc, but truth be told...how useful is anything in a collector's edition?

Heck, even most of the recent Collector's Editions contents, usually come out separately on Xbox Live / PS Network when it comes to digitial content.

I guess it all depends on what exactly yiou are looking for. I think Devil May Cry 4 had it included the freebie artbook with it, would have been impressive.

Jason

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

working designs made some nice sets. I like the limited editions out now but would like more limited runs and maybe some nicer stuff. Dreamcast had some nice limited editions in japan

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

I don't see why new games get collectors editions anyway. How does anyone know if they like the new game or not? It's silly.

How about COLLECTED editions. Graphic novels for videogames. Something where they pack together all the previous games in a franchise along with the newest release. Preferiably with "new" games that never hit the region before.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerboy View Post
    I guess it all depends on what exactly yiou are looking for.
    I ranted about it here:

So you’re probably wondering what my ideas are for a true collector’s edition game? I could say have the development staff sign each copy by hand and walk away, but that’s far too easy, and signed games aren’t anything special. How about this, include an art book drawn by hand by the artists themselves. Include an alpha or beta build of the game on a separate disc. Include an actual animation cel or concept sketch that wasn’t used in the game. Have an artist hand draw the box art. Include a CD of music and sound FX that didn’t make it into the game, and make each disc unique so that the owner will be the only person who has those tracks. Print up 30 copies, charge $450 each for them. This is the crap that would make a game ‘Collector’s Edition.’ Would it make you any money? Nothing compared to what you would get with a simple “making-of” DVD and a fancy box for $10 above MSRP, but if you’re going to call a game Collector’s Edition and it’s just a worthless overpriced copy of the same game, rename it to something more suiting like “Dumbass Edition.”

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

Quote Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
    I don't see why new games get collectors editions anyway. How does anyone know if they like the new game or not? It's silly.

How about COLLECTED editions. Graphic novels for videogames. Something where they pack together all the previous games in a franchise along with the newest release. Preferiably with "new" games that never hit the region before.
    I always think the same thing when I see a movie is put out through Sony's "Sony Pictures Classics" label. I've seen some shit on that label that was far from classic.

I think Capcom is one of the few companies doing collected editions, or at least they did them for RE and DMC.

As far as "collectors editions" go, I don't give a shit honestly. I never watch the DVDs that come with CDs and I never watch making-of DVDs that come with games, and that's generally what "collectors edition" implies...well, and sometimes a steelbook case. "Collectors Edition" holds the same weight to me that "Special Edition" or "Unrated" on DVD packaging does; they're all borderline-meaningless.

Insert Coin (Level 0) debian4life's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Collectors edition in my opinion is a companies way to just get more sales. It's bad enough they have one collectors edition. But now I have seen some games where for a particular game, they have a different collectors edition for various stores. Target and Walmart are notorious for this.

Regards,

Brian

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DefaultGen View Post
    I ranted about it here:
    Yeah really...as if people in this hobby need any more useless junk to collect.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I usually only go for Collector's or Limited Edition games if they include the soundtrack. The thing that I would like is that they would put the full soundtrack in these games. I'm thinking of the OSTs you can import from Japan. That's the kind of soundtrack I want with my CE or LE games. I actually like listening to these.

Banana (Level 7) kaedesdisciple's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    JOEY BLACKOUTS
    PSN
    JOEY_BLACKOUTS

Personally, I've said it a million times, I'm a sucker for a steelbook. Not those crappy tins, mind you, it's gotta be a genuine steelbook. For some reason, call it stupid I don't care, I have no problem paying a few $$ extra for them.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last edited by DefaultGen; 03-12-2023 at 08:42 PM.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DefaultGen View Post
    Not some package where you pay $10-20 more for a tin case and a making-of DVD, we need more games that have a print run of 500 and includes something huge that you'd have to camp out for days to see if you store even gets one kind of games. Am I the only one who feels this way when I walk into a Gamestop and see all these "CE" games for $5-10?
    That's a completely manufactured collectible. Who cares about that? Do you really want to be one of the collectors left out in the cold when the first 500 get sold to people who have better relationships with the manager of their local Gamestop?

I like the Steelbook LE games on the Xbox 360, but the truth is, manufacturers create these limited editions in the first place to convince people who would ordinarily wait for a price drop to not only pay full price, but often a little bit more for a game. I have shelves full of useless promo items and freebies and I don't think anyone is really crying out for more Japanese style premiums. I think the pinnacle of ridiculousness was when Two Worlds came out in a collector's edition and got universally panned as one of the worst games in a very long time. Ditto for Turning Point which was a great idea saddled to a very poor game. Devil May Cry 4 was a joke of a Collector's Edition and offered very little for the outrageous cost of an additional $20. I could really care less about more elitism in videogaming. I'd rather see manufacturers focus on making better AAA titles and more niche games than on trying to squeeze us for $5 extra for a collector's edition.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

When it comes to collector edition games in N. America, Blizzard is the best. They usually fill their collector edition with soundtrack, artbook, poster, in game DVD movie, postcard and etc.

I do missed the old PC collector edition. The box is usually big hard case and fill with artbook, t-shirt, soundtrack, poster, extra disc and etc. Now I barely see anything in the collector edition or limited edition.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

It isn't going to work in todays market. Mass produced LE's (in the sense that there are more than 500) are the only way that these companies are willing to bite the bullet to release these, and I don't think that Sony or MS or Nintendo are allowing that due to minimum numbers they have to produce.

I say you should be happy with DMC4's LE. 100 PS3 and 100 360 copies did get signatures from the producers, were resealed and were shipped out randomly to stores. Now thats a nice surprise LE.

I'm personally happy if they actually make their LE's harder to get. MGS3 and BioShock have stuck to their hard to get as has CoD4 (too bad CoD 4 LE's arn't worth anything). Mass Effect and Assassins LE's seemed to be a little more available, but have been hard to find as well.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    manufacturers create these limited editions in the first place to convince people who would ordinarily wait for a price drop to not only pay full price, but often a little bit more for a game.
    Um, I think everyone is aware of that. This thread is about making those limited editions contain better things in them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only ones I find worth my time are the ones with something addition playable like the mortal kombat (deception I believe) special editions that had Mortal Kombat playable on an extra disc or Doom 3 that did the same.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The RosenQueen exclusive CE Mana Khemia is the coolest I've seen come along in a while--limited to 1000 pieces, good crap inside, low price, sold out in a week or so... I'm glad I got my order in for it.
    Feedback thread here

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

NO. WE. DON'T.

We need more kick ass console games that retail between $20-$30. Games need to get in the hands of more people and not serve some crap elitist niche market. Go slab some sealed games or something would ya? Make game shopping likened to securing Hannah Montana tickets and I'm not playing anymore ok?
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 03-13-2008 at 05:32 AM.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus Moonsight View Post
    NO. WE. DON'T.

We need more kick ass console games that retail between $20-$30. Games need to get in the hands of more people and not serve some crap elitist niche market. Go slab some sealed games or something would ya? Make game shopping likened to securing Hannah Montana tickets and I'm not playing anymore ok?
    Irrelevant. This thread is about making higher quality limited editions of console games that already have a large print run in their original, cheaper form.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by boatofcar View Post
    Irrelevant. This thread is about making higher quality limited editions of console games that already have a large print run in their original, cheaper form.
    No it's not irrelevant. This thread is a discussion about whether or not we need collector's editions and that naturally leads to discussions about what manufacturers could be doing instead of making more collector's editions. You're not even the OP, why are you challenging the relevance of everyone else's posts?