Thread: Componet upgrades for older systems?

Casual Collector Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Shotmastarich
    PSN
    Radiantsvgun

Default Componet upgrades for older systems?

I've seen the neo geo AES component upgrade, (aka REI modification) and it has me wondering, could the modification be performed on a Turbo Duo or a Sega Genesis?
    www.famicomshop.com -best place for famicom stuff. Run by a DP member.
    Radiant's Ongoing Ebay Auctions

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, and Yes. Anything with an RGB signal can be component modified. The Duo must be modded for RGB first.

The question is: at what point does it make sense to use an outboard RGB->Component transcoder and stop modding systems. Based on the (silly) prices charged for things like "REI" Neo Geos and other component modded systems, I think I would never component mod an single system. I'd rather get the external transcoder and buy / make scart cables for RGB capable systems.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It is alway better modified systems to RGB....Locally most newer LCD TV's have the RGB input connector now within USA.People just have to choose wisely when buying a new TV....Sega System are the most common to be pretty much RGB ready,you can even tap the signals directly from the (8Pin din,9 mini pin)A/V connectors.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

Who cares? S Video is fine for most old systems IMO even up to DC hell I've never really cared enough to upgrade from what the systems come with just another way to blow your money. Right now I've got my PS2 via composite and my DC also and my 360 is the only one going through component.

bleh. I was at the pawn the other day and everyone was making fun of this guy who spent 100 bucks on HDMI cables (about double what he should have paid) and it just doesn't make sense to have even bothered really at all to me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Quote Originally Posted by otaku View Post
    Who cares? S Video is fine for most old systems IMO even up to DC hell I've never really cared enough to upgrade from what the systems come with just another way to blow your money. Right now I've got my PS2 via composite and my DC also and my 360 is the only one going through component.
    And you're running what for a TV? Those faint little ghosts and interference problems are MUCH worse when blown up to 60"

bleh. I was at the pawn the other day and everyone was making fun of this guy who spent 100 bucks on HDMI cables (about double what he should have paid) and it just doesn't make sense to have even bothered really at all to me.
    That's way more than double - they're cheap as hell if you're buying from the right places.

Tell me, do you wear your underwear through before you buy a new pair? You seem like the type.

Component makes a DRASTIC difference on newer HDTVs and displays, and I am also interested in knowing what upgrade paths and possibilities are available. Go adjust the rabbit ears on your TV.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Most LCD TV's with their "RGB" input only accept about 30KHz scanrates and above (aka, 480p and above, NOT 240p/480i, which are 15KHz..)

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Buying the right LCD tv makes the difference!....

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You can't really tell which LCD TV supports 15KHz on their RGB input, most times the manufacturers do not mention it.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

doing some research really helps a lot!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Good for you..

However, the information usually ISN'T there! People don't try shoving 15KHz into their LCD's RGB input unless they have a need, and most hard core gamers with old systems go for real 240p screens, not LCDs.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default LCD on Old Gen

Like what I posted way back, from my experience LCD and old gen systems look terrible even when I used Scart or RGB. There is color bleeding and it looks grainy. A CRT with composite actually looks way better than an LCD using RGB. The LCD works grreat with the Wii and PS3 though. But hey if you like your LCD that way with old gen systems so be it.
    Last edited by staxx; 03-19-2008 at 12:46 AM.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Now that I've come to think of,...s-video modded Genesis systems do look great in s-video mode in my LCD set up,at least, better than composite video that is....Picture is much more sharper.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Damn, it didn't take long for this thread to be troll intercepted.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RadiantSvgun View Post
    I've seen the neo geo AES component upgrade, (aka REI modification) and it has me wondering, could the modification be performed on a Turbo Duo or a Sega Genesis?
    some consoles like the NES cannot output RGB at all (not without modifications) but alot of them do, i have my snes setup on a commodore 1084S-d1 and it looks great. id go for straight RGB over component for the old systems, it's the best you can get out of them.
    meow :3

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

Try you DC through VGA sometime. You'll never want to go back.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    phreak97

can anybody recommend an external converter? my tv doesnt have rgb, and i more than agree with not bothering to install a converter in every console, as they are really expensive.

Strawberry (Level 2) CartCollector's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

id go for straight RGB over component for the old systems, it's the best you can get out of them.
    There's not much of a visual difference between RGB and component, though. Component has just as much bandwidth (more bandwidth, more vertical resolution) as RGB, and both don't suffer from any composite decoding errors. The reason why is somewhat technical, so if that makes your head hurt, skip the rest of this post.

All component is is an algebraic conversion of RGB into three different values, called Y, Pr, and Pb. From Wikipedia:

YPbPr (analog version of Y'CbCr) from R'G'B'
    ================================================== ==
    Y' = 0.229 * R' + (0.587) * G' + 0.114 * B'
    Pb = 0.5 * (B' - Y') / 0.886
    Pr = 0.5 * (R' - Y') / 0.701
    So all that has to be done to convert RGB to component is that, and to convert component to RGB, the equations are reversed. It's very easy and precice to do using modern technology. Composite and SVideo are much worse, essentialy Pr and Pb lose a lot of vertical resolution (bandwidth) in SVideo, and get crammed on to the same wire, called "C." Then in Composite, Y and C get put on to the same wire, and now Y loses some bandwidth, and C loses some more, and now there's the possibility of Y interfering with C and vice versa, which creates ugly errors.

In conclusion, RGB is good, and component is good, but one isn't much better than the other. Composite still sucks, though.
    The name's Link
    And I'm braver than brave
    I got a wooden sword from and old man in a cave

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ooXxXoo View Post
    It is alway better modified systems to RGB....Locally most newer LCD TV's have the RGB input connector now within USA.People just have to choose wisely when buying a new TV....Sega System are the most common to be pretty much RGB ready,you can even tap the signals directly from the (8Pin din,9 mini pin)A/V connectors.
    What TVs have RGB input? I've never seen this, and I have been looking at many, many different TVs lately. Do you mean VGA?
    Rarest games in collection: (R8) Chavez II for SNES / (R7) Star Gunner (Telesys) for Atari 2600
    Game Collection -- Game Commercials -- Favorite Game: Secret of Mana
    Wii code: 2572 7867 9177 9866 Smash: 0259-0110-4026

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SkiDragon View Post
    What TVs have RGB input? I've never seen this, and I have been looking at many, many different TVs lately. Do you mean VGA?
    Think he means component..
    GET YOUR HANDS OFF MY NINTENDO!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    phreak97

no, he means rgb, no older consoles have component by default.. but i didnt know any new tvs had rgb input.. unless they support 15khz rgb via the vga connector. gotta say i havnt tried that. but in any case, rgb is not so good for digital displays (plasma, lcd) as it still has to be reincoded, and still wont match the res.. but i guess itll be the best you get.

rgb vs component:

it's true that theyre not too different quality wise.. but component decoding isnt all that great at getting a precise green value.. green is often brighter than the other colours, and youre still mixing in sync and stuff, which isnt gonig to leave the video untouched. whereas rgb doesnt even need to be decoded (talking crt) and so every colour is just as it was meant to be, no worries.. the only thing that gets mixed (if anything) is the sync.. which doesnt affect the video quality.

difference is still marginal at best however.
    Last edited by phreak97; 04-13-2008 at 09:22 AM.