Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Prediction: The Xbox won't age well as a console.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Default Prediction: The Xbox won't age well as a console.

In my mind, the Xbox will be the least fondly remembered of consoles, at least within the past two generations. Between peoples' animosity towards the relative size of the console and the lack of memorable exclusive titles (Halo excepted), I think the Xbox won't hold a place in many gamers' hearts the way the Gamecube and PS2 will.

Thoughts?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by boatofcar View Post
    In my mind, the Xbox will be the least fondly remembered of consoles, at least within the past two generations. Between peoples' animosity towards the relative size of the console and the lack of memorable exclusive titles (Halo excepted), I think the Xbox won't hold a place in many gamers' hearts the way the Gamecube and PS2 will.

Thoughts?
    Strongly disagree. The system generally had the best versions of multiplatform titles (with only a small number of exceptions), plenty of excellent exclusives (Crimson Skies? Forza? Rallisport Challenge 2? Ghost Recon 2? Oddworld Stranger's Wrath? Ninja Gaiden Black? Unreal Championship 2? Chronicles of Riddick?!?! ...well ok, there was a PC port of that) and some nice niche titles that keep the hardcore gamer demographic nice and happy (Gunvalkyrie, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Jet Set Radio Future, Metal Wolf Chaos, Breakdown).

People will always shit on the mammoth size of it (...and the PS3) along with the duke controllers, but I think it'll come out looking pretty good overall a few years down the line.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

No way, the original will always be remembered as the system that launched MS as a gaming company not just one that makes operating systems and office apps.

I think the gamecube is the one that will be least well aged and the PS2 as being the one everyone remembers 20 years from now. Kinda like the Atari 2600 is to many of us.
    Part of the #Vbender Crew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by s1lence View Post
    No way, the original will always be remembered as the system that launched MS as a gaming company
    Just like how the Odyssey will always be remembered because it launched Magnavox as a gaming company?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by roushimsx View Post
    Strongly disagree. The system generally had the best versions of multiplatform titles (with only a small number of exceptions), plenty of excellent exclusives (Crimson Skies? Forza? Rallisport Challenge 2? Ghost Recon 2? Oddworld Stranger's Wrath? Ninja Gaiden Black? Unreal Championship 2? Chronicles of Riddick?!?! ...well ok, there was a PC port of that) and some nice niche titles that keep the hardcore gamer demographic nice and happy (Gunvalkyrie, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Jet Set Radio Future, Metal Wolf Chaos, Breakdown).
    Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon 2 was not very exclusive, it got a PS2 and gamecube port.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bcks007 View Post
    Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon 2 was not very exclusive, it got a PS2 and gamecube port.
    Both Gamecube and PS2 version are the same and they take place 4 years prior to and set up the events for the Xbox (originally Xbox and PC, PC version got canceled) game. The Gamecube/PS2 campaign ties in with Chaos Theory while the Xbox game is more of a sequel.

The Xbox version was developed by Ubisoft Montreal and received great reviews.

The Gamecube and PS2 version was created from the ground up by Ubisoft Shanghai and got more average reviews.

I personally found the Gamecube version to be nearly unplayable thanks to a horrid framerate and some truly god awful mission designs and gameplay decisions. Tedious cluster fuck mess of a game. The titles are also different to reflect their relation to each other:
    Ghost Recon 2: 2007 First Contact
    Ghost Recon 2: 2011 Final Assault

Additionally, the Xbox received an exclusive sequel/stand alone expansion/whatever, "Ghost Recon 2: Summit Strike".

Going in, I had some pretty high hopes for First Strike, but I got a cold, hard lesson on just how much ass Ubisoft Shanghai was capable of sucking when they put their minds to it. Sure, I could have learned my lesson from their previous Splinter Cell cross platform ports or maybe from Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon....but no, it cost me $18 and a couple of wasted hours to really fully understand. Anymore, I refuse to buy anything they develop.

Looks like a lot of people were bummed out with their take on Double Agent (Xbox 360/PS3/PC) and prefer to play the Xbox version (from Ubisoft Montreal) instead. Go figure!

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Whoa, I thought this post was being sarcastic... was it?

Funny how differently people can see things. I would see it as the most memorable console of its era. My PS2 and GameCube were pretty much retired for awhile there, save for the first-party and RPG's (which XBox sorely lacked). Just about any title released across platforms was best on XBox. Built in hard drive. Solid online gaming (c'mon, really the ONLY system that did this well). And perhaps most importantly, upgradeable via mods. The XBox in my store is and probably will be for quite some time the MOST used system as it mods so nicely and emulates so well.

All of this is without even getting into the XBox first-party and/or exclusive stuff.

Then again, maybe the OP was just being sarcastic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thoughts?
    Can't believe I missed this thread. Especially since I always check out Xbox threads. Anyway, like 99% of all the other people have said: you're wrong. Ok, thats harsh. You are of course entitled to your opinion but I bet people will still be playing games on Xbox live on the original Xbox for many many years to come, which will easily make it one of the most memorable consoles of all time.

Great discussion guys; keep it up!

I don't discount the technological advances the Xbox made during the last generation of consoles. It was the most advanced console feature and spec wise, no question. It just seems that in my opinion, in ten years, there will be more people with fond memories of playing the PS2 or GC than the Xbox. Of course, it's just my opinion
    I think at this point you read your thread and realized that almost nobody else agreed with you. I wonder why

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpress View Post
    Whoa, I thought this post was being sarcastic... was it?

Funny how differently people can see things. I would see it as the most memorable console of its era. My PS2 and GameCube were pretty much retired for awhile there, save for the first-party and RPG's (which XBox sorely lacked). Just about any title released across platforms was best on XBox. Built in hard drive. Solid online gaming (c'mon, really the ONLY system that did this well). And perhaps most importantly, upgradeable via mods. The XBox in my store is and probably will be for quite some time the MOST used system as it mods so nicely and emulates so well.

All of this is without even getting into the XBox first-party and/or exclusive stuff.

Then again, maybe the OP was just being sarcastic.
    There you have it from the man himself. And no, Boat wasn't being sarcastic. He was being dead serious. It would be akin to me saying one of the following: "the PS2 had the worst third party support", "Halo is the worst console fps" and "the Gamecube had the worst first party games". The difference is, I was being sarcastic. Too bad he wasn't.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thoughts?
    Not with ya on this one. I think I have more games on this system than any other. It's weird, but I never got into the PS2... and only bought a GC 7 or so months ago. I still play it more than any other system I have, and will get many more hours of use out of it. I just wish MS still supported it (like Sony with the PS2) because I'm not ready to upgrade to a 360.

And I agree with s1lence... I'd put my money on the GC as being the odd one out.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

yeah, sorry, i think youre completely off base on this.

the box had the best visuals of the bunch, best miltiplayer (even if it is defunct online now) and many many absolutely amazing game.

not to mention that it is easily modable without even lifting a screwdriver and can play all your cartridge games.

i have 2-3x more games on the box than on the ps2 or gc. (however it is changing now that im looking at acquiring some ps2 rpgs).

oh yeah, KotR/Ninja Gaiden

/thread

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Great system with a ton of great games. I think it will be remembered however goodluck finding one that will work. I see them almost everyday at my store with a dead hard drives.
    If you are ever in St louis stop by my store Trade-N-Games. I have a huge selection of vintage games along with the new systems. Or shop online now www.tradengames.com
    Jason

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Quote Originally Posted by Trade-N-Games View Post
    Great system with a ton of great games. I think it will be remembered however goodluck finding one that will work. I see them almost everyday at my store with a dead hard drives.
    Care to sell a bunch with dead HDs in a bulk order?

Seriously, I have 3 Xboxes in my house - all media players/emulator machines. I think I played about 5 Xbox games ever... everything I did was PS2.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I have about 75 titles on the original XBOX and that is after slimming my collection down. I think it will age fine, my 4 year old son is having a blast with it.

I am worried about the 360 more than the original xbox. I say that because the 360 seems to break. A lot of "experts" expect all of the 360s to have problems because of their design. In ten years, when microsoft stops repairing the 360s, how are you gonna play the games? I thought the wide-spread reports of 360s breaking was hype, but when my 360 died this weekend, I was shocked. I have only 150 hours on that system. I have never had a system break like the 360. It just stop one day for no reason. I never play for longer than a few hours at a time.

I am currently looking at the PS3 closer. The blueray victory and the fact that 360s break so much, it's making me re-think my situation. I know alot of people are waiting for MS to get the "bugs" out of the 360, I wish I would have waited.
    Last edited by MachineGex; 03-18-2008 at 08:21 PM.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MachineGex View Post

I am currently looking at the PS3 closer. The blueray victory and the fact that 360s break so much, it's making me re-think my situation. I know alot of people are waiting for MS to get the "bugs" out of the 360, I wish I would have waited.
    I completely agree. We need a Blu-ray player, and it looks like we'll be buying a PS3 before a 360. Although I had an optical drive (the samsung) go out on my original xbox, making it my first ever console to take a shit. So I had to drop another 179 to buy a 2nd one. I think microsoft has been in the software business so long, they have no idea how to making a fucking console that doesn't break. Kudos to Nintendo and Sony for getting hardware manufacturing right... something that gamers have always taken for granted.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Jade Empire you robot bastard

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

I have about 75 titles on the original XBOX and that is after slimming my collection down.
    I did the same. Here is why the xbox WILL BE REMEMBERED

1. Launch of MS into the console market
    2. hundreds of games in the library, many still very playable
    3. Many games look great on a HD(not many consoles can say that)
    4. Many system link games that support 16 player offline play
    5. Can be modded very easily and can be transformed into the ultimate reto box!

Just a few. Sorry bro, the Xbox will be remembered. It wasnt supported like the PS2, but it was a good system and it has its followers
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have about 75 titles on the original XBOX and that is after slimming my collection down. I think it will age fine, my 4 year old son is having a blast with it.

I am worried about the 360 more than the original xbox. I say that because the 360 seems to break. A lot of "experts" expect all of the 360s to have problems because of their design. In ten years, when microsoft stops repairing the 360s, how are you gonna play the games? I thought the wide-spread reports of 360s breaking was hype, but when my 360 died this weekend, I was shocked. I have only 150 hours on that system. I have never had a system break like the 360. It just stop one day for no reason. I never play for longer than a few hours at a time.

Is now a bad time to mention that the hd dvd players also break very easily too?

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Thoughts?
    Strongly disagree. The Xbox ranks as my most played system of the last generation and frankly, it was such a good system that I still play games on it and sometimes can't tell the difference between it's games and some of the stuff I own for the 360. It had good controllers and fast loading times, as well as the power to do first person shooters as well as a good mid-range PC. I only wish Microsoft hadn't been so quick to pull the plug.

I believe someone could very easily do a line of $10 or even $20 budget titles (stuff that either didn't get released but was finished or Japan only stuff that was fully in English) on a standalone cardboard display at Target, Best Buy, Walmart and Costco and you could sell 5,000 - 10,000 or more copies of each title even today. Unfortunately, I had a group of investors and a former Xbox developer ready to move on just such a venture, but Microsoft has basically taken the position that they will use the Xbox originals outlet as the only source for original Xbox games and they have no interest whatsoever in supporting the original Xbox at all.

Insert Coin (Level 0) KeyserSoze61's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's easily my favorite console from last gen -- the built in HD, strong specs, excellent controller all add up to a better experience. I've been picking up games left and right for dirt cheap, as this is the time to get the games. Most places are clearancing out these games, and the library is pretty solid.

When you add in the strong Live experience, I will quite fondly remember the original Xbox.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I too will disagree with this one. Of the current/last gen consoles I would think the Dreamcast or PS3 will be the least fondly remembered. Not that these consoles don't have merit or great games, but their history will be remembered as a whole. Dreamcast being the console that killed Sega, coupled with their rapid exit from the market, will in the long term leave the masses either ignorant of the console or indifferent to its existence.

The PS3 is a different subject as the history isn't written on the system yet, but I think that its early struggles coupled with the general animosity towards Sony will leave the PS3 as a second tier console. Again, history always favors the winner, and their is still plenty of time for Sony to pull it together.