Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Prediction: The Xbox won't age well as a console.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Maybe I'm out of place with this comment but just the fact that you can soft-mod the thing and switch in a huge hard drive gives the Xbox a whole new life. After getting a 360 I went hog wild on my old Xbox and now play it probably more than any of my other consoles.

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I say it will age gracefully based on its emulation ability alone.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bcks007 View Post
    Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon 2 was not very exclusive, it got a PS2 and gamecube port.
    Both Gamecube and PS2 version are the same and they take place 4 years prior to and set up the events for the Xbox (originally Xbox and PC, PC version got canceled) game. The Gamecube/PS2 campaign ties in with Chaos Theory while the Xbox game is more of a sequel.

The Xbox version was developed by Ubisoft Montreal and received great reviews.

The Gamecube and PS2 version was created from the ground up by Ubisoft Shanghai and got more average reviews.

I personally found the Gamecube version to be nearly unplayable thanks to a horrid framerate and some truly god awful mission designs and gameplay decisions. Tedious cluster fuck mess of a game. The titles are also different to reflect their relation to each other:
    Ghost Recon 2: 2007 First Contact
    Ghost Recon 2: 2011 Final Assault

Additionally, the Xbox received an exclusive sequel/stand alone expansion/whatever, "Ghost Recon 2: Summit Strike".

Going in, I had some pretty high hopes for First Strike, but I got a cold, hard lesson on just how much ass Ubisoft Shanghai was capable of sucking when they put their minds to it. Sure, I could have learned my lesson from their previous Splinter Cell cross platform ports or maybe from Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon....but no, it cost me $18 and a couple of wasted hours to really fully understand. Anymore, I refuse to buy anything they develop.

Looks like a lot of people were bummed out with their take on Double Agent (Xbox 360/PS3/PC) and prefer to play the Xbox version (from Ubisoft Montreal) instead. Go figure!

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Whoa, I thought this post was being sarcastic... was it?

Funny how differently people can see things. I would see it as the most memorable console of its era. My PS2 and GameCube were pretty much retired for awhile there, save for the first-party and RPG's (which XBox sorely lacked). Just about any title released across platforms was best on XBox. Built in hard drive. Solid online gaming (c'mon, really the ONLY system that did this well). And perhaps most importantly, upgradeable via mods. The XBox in my store is and probably will be for quite some time the MOST used system as it mods so nicely and emulates so well.

All of this is without even getting into the XBox first-party and/or exclusive stuff.

Then again, maybe the OP was just being sarcastic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I see the XBox being remembered fondly. XBox Live has been amazingly popular, so it has that. The PS2 is going to be the one that is remembered most fondly, and the Gamecube will be remembered in a fashion similar to the Sega Master System; good games, but never quite captured enough people's attention.

And the Dreamcast will be remembered somewhat like the Neo Geo. Great arcade style games that only appealed to the hardcore demographic in the long run. Although, it won't be remembered for its outrageous price. What was it at launch? Somewhere around $250?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by boatofcar View Post
    In my mind, the Xbox will be the least fondly remembered of consoles, at least within the past two generations. Between peoples' animosity towards the relative size of the console and the lack of memorable exclusive titles (Halo excepted), I think the Xbox won't hold a place in many gamers' hearts the way the Gamecube and PS2 will.

Thoughts?

Since I use Xbox Media Center on pretty much a daily basis to check the week's weather, stream copies of TV shows that just aired, watch movies and emulate the N64, PlayStation and any systems released before it...

You are wrong. Good day sir.

The Xbox is easily the best console ever released.

The PS2 will probably be the system least remembered. It's a fragile piece of garbage that breaks at the drop of a hat, it's got the worst versions of multiplatform titles, and the controller is a pile of ass.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Lord of the Files's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Xizer View Post
    The PS2 will probably be the system least remembered. It's a fragile piece of garbage that breaks at the drop of a hat, it's got the worst versions of multiplatform titles, and the controller is a pile of ass.
    Wrong. Right, but insignificant. Wrong.

The Xbox DVD drive is notorious for breaking down.

Multiplatform titles? Yeah, Madden on Xbox blows all others out of the water. The GTA games were better on Xbox...when they finally came out. The only reason to pull the multiplatform card is because the Xbox exclusive list is pretty weak. Real weak.

The "pile of ass" comment is just plain stupid. The controllers on the PS2, Xbox, and GC were all serviceable. Of course we all have our preferences, and your mileage may vary based on what game you're playing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheDomesticInstitution View Post
    Not with ya on this one. ... I'd put my money on the GC as being the odd one out.
    I disagree:

1. How could the GameCube be the odd one out with huge hits like Super Smash Bros. Melee, Animal Crossing, Resident Evil 4, Metroid Prime, F-Zero GX, Star Wars Rogue Squadron II, and all of the Zelda and Mario games (Golf, Tennis, Strikers, Party, Sunshine, etc.)?

2. GameCube games have some of the quickest load times I've ever seen.

3. I think the design of the GameCube will age better than that of the Xbox. I always found the Xbox to be cheap looking. Maybe it's the glossy black plastic that gets scratched too easily. It's also far too large.

4. The GameCube is more durable. YouTube - crash test consoles (xbox, ps2, gc) and YouTube - Console Damage Test!

5. The GameCube had the best version of Soulcalibur II.

6. Beach Spikers is far better than Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball.

7. Kabuki Warriors.
    Last edited by Rob2600; 03-19-2008 at 10:50 PM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Files View Post
    Wrong. Right, but insignificant. Wrong.

The Xbox DVD drive is notorious for breaking down.

Multiplatform titles? Yeah, Madden on Xbox blows all others out of the water. The GTA games were better on Xbox...when they finally came out. The only reason to pull the multiplatform card is because the Xbox exclusive list is pretty weak. Real weak.

The "pile of ass" comment is just plain stupid. The controllers on the PS2, Xbox, and GC were all serviceable. Of course we all have our preferences, and your mileage may vary based on what game you're playing.
    When it comes to consoles, any title that was released on the PS2 or GameCube that was also released on the Xbox is going to be the superior version. Quit trolling. And of all the multiplatform games to pick to claim is the Xbox's only good multiplatform title, Madden? Madden is a piece of shit no matter what platform it's on.

Also, I don't know what planet you're living on, but the only DVD drives in the Xbox that are notorious for breaking down are the Thomson ones in the very early models. The PS2, on the other hand, was a Disc Read Error machine until the slim came out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It will probably be just like the Dreamcast.

There will be a small segment of hardcore gamers who claim its the best thing in the whole world, and everyone else was just too stupid to see it.

As for the rest of the gaming world, the system is already rightfully discarded and forgotten.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Quit trolling.
    Oh, the irony.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When it comes to consoles, any title that was released on the PS2 or GameCube that was also released on the Xbox is going to be the superior version. Quit trolling. And of all the multiplatform games to pick to claim is the Xbox's only good multiplatform title, Madden? Madden is a piece of shit no matter what platform it's on.

Also, I don't know what planet you're living on, but the only DVD drives in the Xbox that are notorious for breaking down are the Thomson ones in the very early models. The PS2, on the other hand, was a Disc Read Error machine until the slim came out.
    Just because he disagrees with you doesn't mean he's trolling.
    Look at the NES> Notorious for breaking down and sitll remembered fondly.
    My feedback
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99982
    Looking to sell Valkyrie Profile for the Playstation. PM me if you're interested.

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Custom soundtracks are a gift from the heavens.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I actually like all 4 last-gen consoles quite a bit. The bottom line is the games, and Xbox had some great ones. I don't like sports games, Halo, racing sims, or most western RPGs. A lot of people think that the Xbox library begins and ends with those games, but I've enjoyed a lot of other Xbox games. Although, it's not entirely true that multiplatform games were always better on Xbox. That's true for the majority of games, but there are quite a few exceptions.

Also, some of the praises given to Xbox are kind of weak. High def support? Xbox's HD support was very, very uneven. It has games that go all the way up to 1080i, but then it has a very large number of games that don't go beyond 480i. I don't understand why about 95% of Dreamcast games can do 480p but for Gamecube and Xbox that percentage is much smaller (and PS2 is pathetic).
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    It will probably be just like the Dreamcast.

There will be a small segment of hardcore gamers who claim its the best thing in the whole world, and everyone else was just too stupid to see it.

As for the rest of the gaming world, the system is already rightfully discarded and forgotten.
    Spot on with one exception: "rightfully" discarded and forgotten

It's got it's spot in gaming history, as pointed out by others above me, and it's library of exclusives will help it stand the test of time.

Quit trolling.
    Oh my goodness.
    Last edited by Oobgarm; 03-20-2008 at 06:46 AM.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2600 View Post
    I disagree:

1. How could the GameCube be the odd one out with huge hits like Super Smash Bros. Melee, Animal Crossing, Resident Evil 4, Metroid Prime, F-Zero GX, Star Wars Rogue Squadron II, and all of the Zelda and Mario games (Golf, Tennis, Strikers, Party, Sunshine, etc.)?

2. GameCube games have some of the quickest load times I've ever seen.

3. I think the design of the GameCube will age better than that of the Xbox. I always found the Xbox to be cheap looking. Maybe it's the glossy black plastic that gets scratched too easily. It's also far too large.

4. The GameCube is more durable. YouTube - crash test consoles (xbox, ps2, gc) and YouTube - Console Damage Test!

5. The GameCube had the best version of Soulcalibur II.

6. Beach Spikers is far better than Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball.

7. Kabuki Warriors.
    We'll agree to disagree on this one. PS2 was definitely the winner of the last generation- to which there is very little argument about. But from my standpoint as far as features go and my own playing habits- The XBOX has seen a lot more mileage for me. Not saying the GC had less great titles- but one of the major draws of the GC was the Nintendo IP's- which I haven't gotten into since SNES and some of the N64 days. In fact the main reason I bought a GC was the resident evil games. I am aware of the vast amount of great titles, superior loading times, superior graphical capabilities, and the higher amount of magical fairy dust the GC has...

...But give me an HD (so I don't have to worry juggling memory cards), good FPS selection, a few good WRPGs (including the exclusive Star Wars titles), superior versions of most Tom Clancy titles, any GTA titles, and Half Life 2- and I'll be set.

I should have known better than to take Nintendo mafia bait. But it's really my fault for saying something negative about the Gamecube. But come on, the older I get the less I want to play: Mario, Zelda, Star Fox, Pokemon, Warrio, Luigi, or Yoshi based games. I don't dispute they're fun- but they're not me right now.

And while I'm pissing people off- I don't like anime either and JRPG's are mostly long interactive anime movies... and XBOX had fewer of those than any other systems. Which is another reason I like the XBOX. Big hair, large eyes, and too many cute grunts freak me out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    Also, some of the praises given to Xbox are kind of weak. High def support? Xbox's HD support was very, very uneven. It has games that go all the way up to 1080i, but then it has a very large number of games that don't go beyond 480i. I don't understand why about 95% of Dreamcast games can do 480p but for Gamecube and Xbox that percentage is much smaller (and PS2 is pathetic).
    I bet percentage wise, they're very comparable. Only 2 out of my 30 GameCube games can't do 480p for example. And nearly all of my Xbox collection can do at least 480p. Not including the Playstation 2 of course, I don't think more than maybe 20% of my collection has progressive scan support there.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 03-20-2008 at 12:33 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post
    I bet percentage wise, they're very comparable. Only 2 out of my 30 GameCube games can't do 480p for example. And nearly all of my Xbox collection can do at least 480p. Not including the Playstation 2 of course, I don't think more than maybe 20% of my collection has progressive scan support there.
    Are there Gamecube/Xbox games that support progressive scan / HDTV without having the appropriate icon on the back? Only 9 of my 44 US Gamecube games are marked as progressive scan compatible. Similarly, just 19 of my 47 Xbox games are marked as HDTV.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

as far as being remembered for its games library, I'd have to say that it may not age as well as PS2 or GC, but it should fair alright 20 years down the road. I get an idea of what the OP was talking about, and I think a lot of people made some strong points as to why it would age well also. For me personally, the original xbox won't really be as memorable as many other systems out there. Now the little "fix" i did to my xbox on the other hand should make it last for a loooong time for me.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Lord of the Files's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I didn't choose Madden as the Xbox's only good multiplatform title. It was just the first example that came to mind of (a) a game that came out for all 3 systems and (b) a game that no one will care about in the long run. Kind of like all the Need for Speeds and Medal of Honors of the world. I mean, I'm supposed to be impressed because Xbox had the best version of Need for Speed? If not, what is that great multiplatform title that the Xbox had the best version of?

And when you say "superior" version, how "superior" are we talking here? There's a big difference between Donkey Kong on the VCS and Donkey Kong on the Colecovision. Is Burnout 3 that much better on the Xbox than the PS2?

I live on the planet where the PS2 I bought in 2002 has outlived 2 Xboxes and one Xbox 360. With 100s of hours more play time and DVD use.

Madden is a piece of shit no matter what platform it's on.
    Madden is "a piece of shit" and the PS2 controller is "a pile of ass". Why do I find your ability to communicate an informed, reasoned opinion a bit suspect?
    Last edited by Lord of the Files; 03-20-2008 at 04:19 PM.