Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Prediction: The Xbox won't age well as a console.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Files View Post
    Is Burnout 3 that much better on the Xbox than the PS2?
    Depends on how much you care about slightly better graphics, much improved save times, and quicker load times. Slightly quicker load times, smoother framerates and drastically improved save times are three of the most common upgrades games would get in the Xbox releases, though there's other games (like Fatal Frame II and Burnout 2) that'd receive additional content that would never see release back on PS2 or Gamecube (though some would get ported back to PS2 in subsequent rereleases, such as MGS2 and Silent Hill 2).

Save times on the Gamecube are extremely peppy on average, but on PS2 they can be agonizingly slow. Thank god some games (like Ratchet & Clank, Jak & Daxter, and Sly Cooper) find creative ways to hide the loading/saving times, because even on smaller saves it's a pain in the ass.

Framerates can be spotty in PS2 and Gamecube versions of multiplatform games (particularly because most of them used the PS2 version as the basis for the GC version), though a couple of games came away looking really good (Gamecube version of Beyond Good & Evil and I hear the Gamecube version of Warrior Within?). Still, the majority were smoother are the Xbox.

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    Are there Gamecube/Xbox games that support progressive scan / HDTV without having the appropriate icon on the back?
    Yes, but for the life of me I can't remember any examples off hand. It's something I didn't pay too much attention to since I never could get my dick beaters on a set of Gamecube component cables.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I didn't choose Madden as the Xbox's only good multiplatform title. It was just the first example that came to mind of (a) a game that came out for all 3 systems and (b) a game that no one will care about in the long run. Kind of like all the Need for Speeds and Medal of Honors of the world. I mean, I'm supposed to be impressed because Xbox had the best version of Need for Speed? If not, what is that great multiplatform title that the Xbox had the best version of?

And when you say "superior" version, how "superior" are we talking here? There's a big difference between Donkey Kong on the VCS and Donkey Kong on the Colecovision. Is Burnout 3 that much better on the Xbox than the PS2?

I live on the planet where the PS2 I bought in 2002 has outlived 2 Xboxes and one Xbox 360. With 100s of hours more play time and DVD use.

Madden is "a piece of shit" and the PS2 controller is "a pile of ass". Why do I find your ability to communicate an informed, reasoned opinion a bit suspect?
    I fail to see how my opinion isn't informed or reasoned. As someone who has used both a PS2 controller and played Madden, I am entitled to the opinion that one of them is a "pile of ass" and the other one is a "piece of shit."

What is the great multiplatform title the Xbox has the best version of? Hmm, let's see...

-Any driving game
    -Any shooter
    -Beyond Good & Evil
    -Grand Theft Auto series
    -I-Ninja
    -Metal Gear Solid 2
    -Mortal Kombat and other fighting series
    -Prince of Persia
    -Psychonauts
    -Sonic series
    -Star Wars games
    -Tony Hawk series

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheDomesticInstitution View Post
    give me an HD (so I don't have to worry juggling memory cards), good FPS selection, a few good WRPGs (including the exclusive Star Wars titles), superior versions of most Tom Clancy titles, any GTA titles, and Half Life 2- and I'll be set.
    I guess that's why I like the GameCube better: I'm not into first-person shooters, RPG's, Tom Clancy titles, GTA titles, or Half Life. I'm into arcade-style games (Beach Spikers, Mario Golf, Mario Tennis, Wario Ware, Burnout 2, Soulcalibur II, Wave Race: Blue Storm, etc.).

If Nintendo ever releases a new home Star Fox game that's as great as Star Fox 64, I'll be set!

Insert Coin (Level 0) Lord of the Files's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Xizer View Post
    What is the great multiplatform title the Xbox has the best version of? Hmm, let's see...

-Any driving game
    -Any shooter
    -Beyond Good & Evil
    -Grand Theft Auto series
    -I-Ninja
    -Metal Gear Solid 2
    -Mortal Kombat and other fighting series
    -Prince of Persia
    -Psychonauts
    -Sonic series
    -Star Wars games
    -Tony Hawk series
    I'm still not seeing THE great multiplatform title that blew all others out of the water. Sonic series, honestly? Mortal Kombat? Say wasn't Rogue Leader a Gamecube game? By any shooter you mean like Gradius 5 or Ikaruga? Oh, never mind.

Microsoft's legacy in gaming:

-Halo
    -XBLA
    -broken stuff

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

-Halo
    -XBLA
    -broken stuff
    Somehow you're completely forgetting Mechwarrior 3, Crimson Skies (and its sequel), Forza Motorsport, Ages of Empires series, Close Combat series, Midtown Madness series, acquisition and dissolving of Digital Anvil, acquisition and dissolving of Access (makers of the best golf series ever), securing major exclusive games from Epic (Gears of War, Unreal Championship 2), and multiple other highlights.

But sure, you can just be a biased outsider and highlight that they published Halo, rolled out XBLA, and completely fucked up the Xbox360 hardware design in an attempt to be first to the market. I mean, who really cares about what Microsoft has actually done as a publisher or even in the realm of PC operating systems (DirectX was an eventual godsend after a few rocky releases)?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    Are there Gamecube/Xbox games that support progressive scan / HDTV without having the appropriate icon on the back? Only 9 of my 44 US Gamecube games are marked as progressive scan compatible. Similarly, just 19 of my 47 Xbox games are marked as HDTV.
    I haven't paid attention really to the logos on the back of my Xbox cases, but it's sadly not unusual for GameCube titles to not be shown as progressive scan capable. And there's also several titles misidentified as supporting progressive scan that are actually 480i only.

I wouldn't go by the back of Xbox cases either since there seems to be a fair amount of mistakes such as a couple of the Midway Arcade Treasures titles being shown as Xbox Live enabled while MAT2 lacks the labeling on the front cover near the top despite having the same XBL functionality as the other two. And after taking a quick look at a few titles just now, some don't even have the table on the back showing the feature listing that tells you if it supports higher resolutions and such, including F1 2001.

So if things like that are any indication of their accuracy and consistency, I bet a lot of titles may be missing their appropriate logos on the Xbox.

And I suppose my GameCube collection might be skewed a bit since as a Xbox owner, I went there most often for multiplatform releases. Most of my GameCube collection are the top titles like Nintendo's first party lineup and things like Resident Evil 4 (I don't own the other GC RE's that were 480i only though). Besides Midway Arcade Treasures 1 and Pro Rally 2002, all of my GCN collection supports progressive scan. And that's no big loss, Pro Rally isn't very good anyways, and if I want to play MAT at 480p, I own the Xbox version which does support it.

Even the GameBoy Player is progressive scan.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 11-22-2014 at 08:09 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by roushimsx View Post
    But sure, you can just be a biased outsider and highlight that they published Halo, rolled out XBLA, and completely fucked up the Xbox360 hardware design in an attempt to be first to the market.
    A biased outsider or an average consumer. Pull the average Joe off the street and ask him what MS has done for gaming....I think you'll more likely hear about Halo or his brother's dead 360 than Direct X.

But if you wish to accuse me of being biased because I've paid for 3 systems that ended up dying in less than a year, you're probably right.

Putting aside all arguments about software, I have to agree with the OP simply because I doubt very many original Xboxes will still be working in 5 years.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Putting aside all arguments about software, I have to agree with the OP simply because I doubt very many original Xboxes will still be working in 5 years.
    I'll take that bet, i've seen the hardware failure projections for the xbox1...

Joe 6-pack on the street isn't going to be playing xbox1 games 5 years down the road, so his opinion probably doesn't matter too much in this topic.

From a graphics standpoint, i think the xbox will stand up pretty well as time goes on. Better then the PS2, certainly. While Halo 2 looked like ass, Chronicles of Riddick and Ninja Gaiden show what the system is capable of.

It has a little something for everyone.
    You like racers? Forza.
    RPG? Baldur's Gate.
    Flight? Blazing Angels.
    Japanese FPS? Breakdown.
    2D Platforming? Megaman.
    Mech? Steel Battalion
    Sims? Sims.
    Shoot-em-up? Xyanide (thought i was going to miss that genre, eh?)

Just the fact that the system doesn't use memory cards will go a long way towards making the system popular.... And you really can't ignore the emulators or xbox media center.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Honestly, I think that most of the new systems won't be considered "classic" like some of the current older systems. The Xbox on its own is a good system, with a good library of games. However, its also a technological system, and as time goes on people won't look to get one (ie its good, but people will look to get more advanced systems, as that what was cool about this system when it came out). This is all my own opinion of course. O_o

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm still not seeing THE great multiplatform title that blew all others out of the water. Sonic series, honestly? Mortal Kombat? Say wasn't Rogue Leader a Gamecube game? By any shooter you mean like Gradius 5 or Ikaruga? Oh, never mind.

-Halo
    -XBLA
    -broken stuff
    Okay guys, just trust me on this one. Ignore this guy. He's a 4-post troller. It's pretty sad that someone would take the time to troll the original Xbox but I guess some people are fortunate enough to have lives where they have incredible amounts of free time at their disposal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post
    I haven't paid attention really to the logos on the back of my Xbox cases, but it's common for GameCube titles to not be shown as progressive scan capable, and there's several titles misidentified as supporting progressive scan that are actually 480i only.

I wouldn't go by the back of Xbox cases either, there seems to be a fair amount of mistakes such as a couple of the Midway Arcade Treasures titles being shown as Xbox Live enabled, but MAT2 lacks the labeling on the front cover near the top despite having the same XBL functionality as the other two. And after taking a quick look at a few titles just now, some don't even have the table on the back showing the feature listing that tells you if it supports higher resolutions and such, including F1 2001.

So if things like that are any indication of their accuracy and consistency, I bet a lot of titles may be missing their appropriate logos on the Xbox.
    Well shit, how is one supposed to be able to tell then? Are there lists somewhere?

And I suppose my GameCube collection might be skewed a bit since as a Xbox owner, I went there most often for multiplatform releases. Most of my GameCube collection are the top titles like Nintendo's first party lineup and things like Resident Evil 4 (I don't own the other GC RE's that were 480i only though), besides Midway Arcade Treasures 1 and Pro Rally 2002, all mine support progressive scan. And that's no big loss, Pro Rally isn't very good anyways, and if I want to play MAT at 480p, I own the Xbox version which supports it.
    I had an Xbox before PS2 or Gamecube (although I got all three within 6 months of each other). More of my multiplatform games are on Xbox, but there are a handful that I have on Gamecube because the GC version is slightly better. I have a mild OCD thing about making sure I get the best version possible, even when the differences are slight.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is Burnout 3 that much better on the Xbox than the PS2?
    I chose the XBOX version simply for the custom soundtrack, but then I already knew what I wanted to use for music before I even got the game.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Xizer View Post
    Okay guys, just trust me on this one. Ignore this guy. He's a 4-post troller. It's pretty sad that someone would take the time to troll the original Xbox but I guess some people are fortunate enough to have lives where they have incredible amounts of free time at their disposal.
    That's pretty funny. It's obvious from the responses to you calling me a "troll" earlier that you are the resident forum dunce. Every message board's got one.

A taste of your own medicine, perhaps?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by boatofcar View Post
    In my mind, the Xbox will be the least fondly remembered of consoles, at least within the past two generations. Between peoples' animosity towards the relative size of the console and the lack of memorable exclusive titles (Halo excepted), I think the Xbox won't hold a place in many gamers' hearts the way the Gamecube and PS2 will.

Thoughts?
    Can't believe I missed this thread. Especially since I always check out Xbox threads. Anyway, like 99% of all the other people have said: you're wrong. Ok, thats harsh. You are of course entitled to your opinion but I bet people will still be playing games on Xbox live on the original Xbox for many many years to come, which will easily make it one of the most memorable consoles of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by boatofcar View Post
    Great discussion guys; keep it up!

I don't discount the technological advances the Xbox made during the last generation of consoles. It was the most advanced console feature and spec wise, no question. It just seems that in my opinion, in ten years, there will be more people with fond memories of playing the PS2 or GC than the Xbox. Of course, it's just my opinion
    I think at this point you read your thread and realized that almost nobody else agreed with you. I wonder why

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpress View Post
    Whoa, I thought this post was being sarcastic... was it?

Funny how differently people can see things. I would see it as the most memorable console of its era. My PS2 and GameCube were pretty much retired for awhile there, save for the first-party and RPG's (which XBox sorely lacked). Just about any title released across platforms was best on XBox. Built in hard drive. Solid online gaming (c'mon, really the ONLY system that did this well). And perhaps most importantly, upgradeable via mods. The XBox in my store is and probably will be for quite some time the MOST used system as it mods so nicely and emulates so well.

All of this is without even getting into the XBox first-party and/or exclusive stuff.

Then again, maybe the OP was just being sarcastic.
    There you have it from the man himself. And no, Boat wasn't being sarcastic. He was being dead serious. It would be akin to me saying one of the following: "the PS2 had the worst third party support", "Halo is the worst console fps" and "the Gamecube had the worst first party games". The difference is, I was being sarcastic. Too bad he wasn't.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    I was being sarcastic.

TIMES FIVE!!!!!!!!1!!~~!1!!
    Last edited by scooterb23; 01-04-2009 at 05:07 PM.
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MachineGex View Post
    I have about 75 titles on the original XBOX and that is after slimming my collection down. I think it will age fine, my 4 year old son is having a blast with it.

I am worried about the 360 more than the original xbox. I say that because the 360 seems to break. A lot of "experts" expect all of the 360s to have problems because of their design. In ten years, when microsoft stops repairing the 360s, how are you gonna play the games? I thought the wide-spread reports of 360s breaking was hype, but when my 360 died this weekend, I was shocked. I have only 150 hours on that system. I have never had a system break like the 360. It just stop one day for no reason. I never play for longer than a few hours at a time.

I am currently looking at the PS3 closer. The blueray victory and the fact that 360s break so much, it's making me re-think my situation. I know alot of people are waiting for MS to get the "bugs" out of the 360, I wish I would have waited.
    Is now a bad time to mention that the hd dvd players also break very easily too?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was being sarcastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by scooterb23 View Post
    TIMES FIVE!!!!!!!!1!!~~!1!!
    Don't know why, but I lol'd hard at that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by norkusa View Post
    Don't know why, but I lol'd hard at that.
    <<<<<<<<<<<<<<Thats why
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by s1lence View Post
    No way, the original will always be remembered as the system that launched MS as a gaming company
    Just like how the Odyssey will always be remembered because it launched Magnavox as a gaming company?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Thats why
    Heh, I know. I just thought it was a lot funnier than it should have been.