Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Prediction: The Xbox won't age well as a console.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I leave for one night and this is what I come back to??

Quote Originally Posted by Richter Belmount View Post
    You ever thought maybe I didn't like the games on Xbox , did that cross your mind so my perception is skewered cause (Shock) I have a different opinion!??
    Funny you should say that because I had expected to post this today: both you and Boat obviously do NOT like the Xbox. I know it's your opinion, but no sane gamer could honestly say the Xbox(which popularized fps's, pioneered online gaming and brought it to the masses and made hard drives a requirement, along with having many of the best games of the last generation) is going to be a forgetable system unless they truely detest it. I can't stand the N64 controller but you won't hear me saying it's a forgetable/worthless system. So Boat should have titled this thread "Why I hate the Xbox" because we can all see beneath the thin veil he layed out.

Quote Originally Posted by Richter Belmont
    2. Mainstream Games: I recall saying Ps2 no? Plus most of the games 1st appeared on Playstation 2 I didn't really need a port of Gta 3 a game that I already bought. Heck I could have a Ps2 and a Gamecube than I would still have a majority of the releases so no need for an Xbox.
    That still isn't making a very strong case for the Gamecube though. If you had to choose just one system last gen and you chose the GC over the Xbox, you would have missed out on the majority of the best mainstream games. That was my point.

Quote Originally Posted by Richter Belmont
    3. Ports:The only actual exclusive on that list is Otogi since there are numerous ports of those games on different systems already, even Ninja Gaiden , Fable , Jade Empire , Kotr , Kotr 2 and Halo 2 . Doesn't make me want to go back to my Xbox considering I have other numerous and possibly better places to play some of those games. Though I have a certain affinity of the Snes version of Doom over the PC version. My point is the Xbox was good for ports but there are better ports than the ports on Xbox now in this day and age.
    This is going to be fun. All those games were Xbox console exclusives for the last gen. I'm pretty sure I said that before. We aren't comparing consoles to pc's here. We are comparing console exclusives on the Xbox to console exclusives on the Gamecube. I'm fairly certain you can't play Kotor 1+2, Halo 2, Fable or Ninja Gaiden Black on any console but the Xbox(or 360). Yes the PS3 got Ninja Gaiden Stigma, but what did the Gamecube get? So you failed on that one too.

Quote Originally Posted by Richter Belmount
    4. Graphics: yes the Xbox had processing power , doesn't mean much to me if its not aesthetically pleasing. I recall the mundane and dreary colored and washed out Splinter Cell. Graphics in a game should be consistent , appealing not dark and muddy or washed out. Something the Xbox couldn't pull off with a regular output yet when it comes to that Xbox is outdone by a Turbo Grafx's sharp color and detail.
    Huh? The Xbox was the only last gen system that could regularly output in 720p(for the games that supported it). And wait a minute....did you just say the Turbo Grafx had better visuals than the Xbox I'll let everyone else handle that one for me.

5. Cult hits:As for cult hits I think once I step into 1 cult hit for Xbox , I could find 5 more on Playstation 2 for every cult hit that was on Xbox.
    Perhaps, but for every 1 cult hit on the Gamecube you could find 10 on the Xbox.

How are you going to call him out without seeming hypocritical?
    He knows I love him. And he is a big Nintendo fan. Theres nothing wrong with that. I was just pointing out the obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2600 View Post
    You're right, I can't predict the future, but that's what this thread is all about, so I'm just going along with it.

You missed my point. I'm not bashing the Xbox or blindly defending the GameCube. I'm just pointing out how one art/design philosophy has a wider, longer-lasting appeal than the other.
    I feel you. I was just giving my point of view from a person who has all three last gen systems and enjoys the Xbox the most. But I also like my PS2 and GC.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2600
    Besides, 7 out of the 17 Xbox games you listed are first-person shooters. That's 42%.
    Subtract 6 of those fps's and add these:

Forza
    Outrun 2
    Hitman Contracts
    Fatal Frame 2
    Panzer Dragoon Orta
    Crimson Skies

Problem solved.

I thought that was Goldeneye 007.
    Let's keep it real. Goldeneye 007 was a phenomenal game.....in it's time. Today it's nearly unplayable compared to all the great fps's we get yearly. It hasn't aged well and can't hold anything on Riddick....except multiplayer But the new one is getting that.

Why do you think Joe charges so much for a common game like Super Mario World?
    Because he needs the money obviously. I try to get as much for my games as possible too.

Anyway, Boat and Richter just want the Xbox to go away. I'm not sure why but it's their opinion to have. Maybe they are still upset that the new kid beat the Gamecube. It's fine(and normal) to not like a particular system but it helps to have a good argument for that stance, especially on these forums.
    Last edited by The 1 2 P; 01-06-2009 at 04:50 PM.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Besides, 7 out of the 17 Xbox games you listed are first-person shooters. That's 42%. Ten years from now, how many average people are going to seek out Halo 2 or Unreal Championship 2 when they could be playing Halo 9 or Unreal 15?

That means almost half of the top-notch Xbox games you listed will be obsolete and uninteresting a decade from now...to the average person. Again, not that they're bad games. They're perfectly fine games, but Joe Schmoe won't care about what he considers to be old, generic army shooting game #27 or old, generic driving game #39.

How many of you go back to the first Call of Duty or the first Grand Theft Auto now that the latest versions are out? It just doesn't happen...yet people still seek out and play Pac-Man, Donkey Kong, and the old Super Mario games. That's the difference between dark, gritty, complex games vs. games that have mass appeal.
    First, just because you do not like FPS's does not mean that others will not have the same disdain for soon to be classics like Halo, Gears of War and Resistance. Doom Collections and Unreal Anthology still sell today because they are still fun to play and there are good memories for gamers whom played them. Same could be said for Call of Duty 2 on the PC, which IMO is still the best WWII multiplayer shooter. Quake III is still played to this day by a strong base of gamers.

Second, applying your logic that gamers will not play an older version of the game when a newer version is out, games like the original Final Fantasy or Resident Evil should not still be popular when there are newer versions out. Yet these games continuously get re-published on each generation and people keep playing them. Again, I beleive your logic is flawed simply because you have a skewed opinion of FPS's.

Lastly, I don't necessarily believe that a majority of the games on your list have "mass appeal" as opposed those "dark, gritty, complex games" that you do not like on the XBOX. Joe Schmoe is not going to be seeking out Baten Kaitos, Eternal Darkness, Killer 7, Pikmin, Skies of Arcadia Legends, Star Fox Adventures, or Viewtiful Joe.

While I agree that games like UT which are frequently updated (as opposed to say a new version of Halo with a new single player campaign) like Madden may not hold their popularity over time, the same could be said of practically every Mario Party or Mario Sport game on each successive console of the future.

Here are some very good XBOX games that people will continue to play on into the future:

Halo & Halo II
    Fable
    Jade Empire
    SW: KOTOR & KOTOR II
    Baldurs Gate Dark Alliance II
    Crimson Skies: The Road to Revenge
    Panzer Dragoon Orta
    Otogi
    Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath
    Psychonauts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

I also have to disagree: the Xbox will be remembered for many reasons. It was Microsoft's first actual video game console, it brought many popular games, like Halo (and to think, I never liked Halo...), improved online gaming, provided HDD support, as well as many other features.

For me, I would think the GameCube is the console that won't have fond memories by many. I love the console, and it's an excellent piece of hardware, but I believe that, while it won't be forgotten, it won't be fondly remembered as well.

IMO
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I don't see what the Gamecube has to do with whether the Xbox ages well or not. Since the comparison is out there, I'll bite. Might as well come right out and say I am an Xbox fanboy.

There are three games that I notice on lists meant to "defend" or "sell" the Gamecube.

-Luigi's Mansion
    -Super Mario Sunshine
    -Legend of Zelda: Windwaker

Here's what I think.

-Luigi's Mansion can be taken about as seriously as Mario is Missing. The gameplay in Luigi's Mansion is about as deep as Final Fight. I don't care if they are two completely different genres but anyone who thinks Luigi's Mansion measures up to Halo as a launch title should brace themselves because their alarm clock on the nightstand is about to go off, if you know what I mean.

-Super Mario Sunshine may still be fun in places but it ain't a classic and frankly, it has to be seriously considered as one of the worst "Real" Mario games (not counting spinoff crap or the games with lead characters other than Mario).

-Zelda Windwaker may also be fun in places but it isn't anywhere near the top of the Zelda series.

Random Musings

About the Xbox:
    -The hard drive, ability to play dvd's and play/burn/rip cd's is useful. Put an original Xbox in Goodwill five years from now and place it next to a Gamecube system. Price both at $10. You'll see which one sells quicker.

As for the Gamecube's Gameboy player, so what? I don't buy Gameboy games to play them on tv, that is like putting a screen door on a battleship. I buy Gameboy games to play them on the go.
    Last edited by bangtango; 01-06-2009 at 05:57 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    Luigi's Mansion can be taken about as seriously as Mario is Missing. The gameplay in Luigi's Mansion is about as deep as Final Fight. I don't care if they are two completely different genres but anyone who thinks Luigi's Mansion measures up to Halo as a launch title should brace themselves because their alarm clock on the nightstand is about to go off
    You're right, Luigi's Mansion was a fun, polished, yet shallow game.

Instead of Halo vs. Luigi's Mansion, I think a better comparison of launch games would be Halo vs. Star Wars Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't see what the Gamecube has to do with whether the Xbox ages well or not.
    It was just for comparison sake because Rob and Richter brought it up. I actually like the Gamecube. I have good games for it and I'm still collecting for it. But it doesn't get played much because I have an Xbox(that I can play with other people online) and a PS2(so many good games I have to cetch up to). So I definitely do NOT hate the Gamecube(or Nintendo) but I'm pretty sure that in the future it will be the least desirable console from the last gen. And unlike my buddy Richter, I'm not saying that as someone who hates Nintendo and the Gamecube. I'm saying that as a gamer/Nintendo fan/person of strong common sense. The Xbox hasn't been supported by Microsoft(with new games) since late 2005 and here we are over three years later and I can still play all of it's games online with people all around the world. That won't end anytime soon and it's yet another reason why this system will never be forgotten in our lifetime.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't see what the Gamecube has to do with whether the Xbox ages well or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    Rob and Richter brought it up.
    Actually, Boatofcar brought it up in the original post:

Quote Originally Posted by boatofcar View Post
    the Xbox won't hold a place in many gamers' hearts the way the Gamecube and PS2 will.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So, what classic system should people compare the original Xbox to now? The Jaguar? The CD-i? The 3DO? I'm just curious what people think.
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

I can see the comparisons to less successful systems. However I enjoyed mine and have fond memories. I'm more worried about the 360 even though it has quality games, because the hardware is so prone to failure

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by josekortez View Post
    So, what classic system should people compare the original Xbox to now? The Jaguar? The CD-i? The 3DO? I'm just curious what people think.
    None of the above. Those were systems which never enjoyed mass success or large libraries. The Xbox lasted for five years and had hundreds and hundreds of exclusive releases, plus the best version of numerous multi-platform titles. Not only that, but it was followed up by an even more successful console which was mostly backwards compatible with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    None of the above. Those were systems which never enjoyed mass success or large libraries. The Xbox lasted for five years
    I agree, although technically the Xbox was only in production for four years (2001-2005), not five.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As others have said, none of these systems are apt comparisons. The XBOX was a highly influential system with a large library.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Man, I've been on an Xbox tear lately. I've bought 63 Xbox games in the last two months. For some insane reason, the console's been giving me a huge case of the warm n' fuzzies. That and the fact that everyone and their dog had used Xbox games on for super low Christmas prices this season. It's funny, but the "grossly gargantuan" Xbox doesn't seem so huge when it's parked next to my PS3. They BOTH gang up to make the Cube look ridiculously teeny.

We play all consoles equally in this house. While I sit upstairs typing this in the office, my son is downstairs, surrounded by various consoles, playing Mario Strikers on the teeny Cube.
    Last edited by jdc; 01-11-2009 at 10:39 AM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree, although technically the Xbox was only in production for four years (2001-2005), not five.
    Just to be a smart ass, i have an xbox with the retail casing from December 2000...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ProgrammingAce View Post
    Just to be a smart ass, i have an xbox with the retail casing from December 2000...
    Okay, the Xbox was only supported for four years (2001-2005), not five.
    Last edited by Rob2600; 01-12-2009 at 07:44 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thats a good question. It obviously couldn't be compared to those failed systems you mentioned though. I use to think of it as a spiritual successor to the Dreamcast but it has become way more popular and successful than the Dreamcast. But so far thats the closest I can think of.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    Thats a good question. It obviously couldn't be compared to those failed systems you mentioned though. I use to think of it as a spiritual successor to the Dreamcast but it has become way more popular and successful than the Dreamcast. But so far thats the closest I can think of.
    It's a literal successor to the dreamcast, Sega helped engineer the Xbox1.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Boy, did the original premise of this thread get twisted or what? Wow. I don't think I've ever seen a mass trolling attempt so roundly rejected as this one...lol. The discussion started out so rational and respectful too. Oh well. The Nintendo Mafia brought their "B" game this time. I guess there's no hate like Xbox hate.

It's a shame they turned the argument into fan-boy hysterics, because I agree with them in part. I think the Xbox was the weakest link of the last generation. Then again...I realize that this is only my opinion and is based on my general non-interest over the original Xbox (not to mention 0 JRPG's). The sales numbers would indicate otherwise (as well as my beloved Gamecube being the real loser).
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Lumping the Xbox in with the 3DO, CD-i and Jaguar is mind numbing.

See, the difference is that the 3DO, CD-i and Jaguar are all widely regarded by casual gamers, bloggers and gaming media as not only a failure but a complete joke. Those three systems may not be seen as a joke by everybody here or on Atari Age but that site and this site make up such a small percentage of the public opinion.

As for the Xbox, people can argue all they want about whether or not the system failed (I don't think it did). Even if someone can present a solid case that the Xbox DID fail, there is nobody out there who can call the Xbox a "joke" and maintain any credibility. Point being, the Xbox is in no way, shape or form widely regarded as a joke to most people like the 3DO, CD-i or Jaguar are.

Furthermore, regardless of where the system placed/finished in the last gen, there are enough people out there who still own and play the first Xbox that this will never be the case.
    Last edited by bangtango; 01-12-2009 at 09:28 AM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SloshyCape0

To be honest, the only system Iv'e had hooked up in the last 3 months is my original x-box.

Bye the way, I don't think Twilight Princess will be remembered half as fondly as Morrowind.