Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: Prediction: The Xbox won't age well as a console.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Shawn View Post
    Bye the way, I don't think Twilight Princess will be remembered half as fondly as Morrowind.
    Amen. And I've played both.

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ProgrammingAce View Post
    It's a literal successor to the dreamcast, Sega helped engineer the Xbox1.
    They did?

What aspect?

I need some proof to validate my feeling that the XBOX is an adopted Sega system.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

Quote Originally Posted by Push Upstairs View Post
    I need some proof to validate my feeling that the XBOX is an adopted Sega system.
    You need proof to validate a feeling? Zuh?

I'm sure for some people it was their adopted Sega system. Not me. I went from being a N64/PS1 owner to being a GC/Xbox/PS2 owner. I did acquire a Dreamcast somewhere in that time period but only after it was already dead.

(The other 5 systems mentioned I was actively purchasing games while they were still being produced. I never bought one Dreamcast game until after the system was no longer being supported).

So, what classic system should people compare the original Xbox to now? The Jaguar? The CD-i? The 3DO? I'm just curious what people think.
    Well, you can't compare it to Jag, CDi, or 3DO IMO because none of those machines had a successor. XB1 has the 360, and at least one more future brother in the works.

The Dreamcast doesn't work either, because Sega was fighting the results of the Saturn generation. MS didn't have any such baggage.

I wouldn't try to compare it to anything to be honest. It's a base-line for future comparisons maybe.
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

It's clear to my that if you need to compare the XBox to anything...it's a mid 80's Volvo.

It's boxy, but it's good.
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Push Upstairs View Post
    They did?

What aspect?

Sega wanted to use the xbox hardware for their arcade division. They partnered with Microsoft to develop the hardware. Somewhere i wrote a several page article detailing the whole endeavor.

Here's a prototype xbox with the Chihiro connector still intact. Even on the final board design, you can see the space left behind when the removed the connector.
    http://gamerhistory.com/images/Xbox1.../Proto(11).jpg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

[QUOTE=bangtango;1490090]

-
    Luigi's Mansion[/I] can be taken about as seriously as Mario is Missing. The gameplay in Luigi's Mansion is about as deep as Final Fight. I don't care if they are two completely different genres but anyone who thinks Luigi's Mansion measures up to Halo as a launch title should brace themselves because their alarm clock on the nightstand is about to go off, if you know what I mean.
    I personally despise Halo, as it's nothing more than a run of the mill FPS. Not that it's a bad game, just don't see what the fuss is about. I did like Luigi's Mansion much more, though it was lacking and it's a simple game.

-Zelda Windwaker may also be fun in places but it isn't anywhere near the top of the Zelda series.
    Gotta agree. I thought the game had charm, but overall there was something of a miss...

As for the Gamecube's Gameboy player, so what? I don't buy Gameboy games to play them on tv, that is like putting a screen door on a battleship. I buy Gameboy games to play them on the go.
    Dunno about that one. I personally liked the player, as it offered ways to play GBA games on the TV. The Super Gameboy had more charm, IMO, but the GBA player is excellent in it's own right. I found some games played better on the GBP than on the GBA.

But thats me anyway.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    Boy, did the original premise of this thread get twisted or what? Wow. I don't think I've ever seen a mass trolling attempt so roundly rejected as this one...lol. The discussion started out so rational and respectful too. Oh well.
    I actually like the direction this thread has taken. Boat gave his opinion and then everyone else chimed in with their opinions. Some of us are more passionate about our opinions than others. I've even went several augumentative rounds with a few people in here but that doesn't mean we respect each other any less. We're just gamers being gamers
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ProgrammingAce View Post
    Sega wanted to use the xbox hardware for their arcade division. They partnered with Microsoft to develop the hardware. Somewhere i wrote a several page article detailing the whole endeavor.

Here's a prototype xbox with the Chihiro connector still intact. Even on the final board design, you can see the space left behind when the removed the connector.
    http://gamerhistory.com/images/Xbox1Protos/Proto(11).jpg
    So the Chihiro was planned before the initial release of the XBOX?

I never dug into the history of the XBOX to find out about its origins.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Microsoft worked for two years with SEGA to make Windows CE the OS on the Dreamcast, also using DirectX. That was in 1998. I have found a few articles about this:
    http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/p.../Segagmpr.mspx
    http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...56C0A96E958260

In 2003, Microsoft announced they were looking to use the XBOX as the new platform for SEGA arcade machines. (Chihiro)
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/03...x_for_arcades/

Therefore, the Xbox existed before Chihiro, because it WAS Chihiro. SEGA, from my googling, did not develop the XBOX one bit. The XBOX runs a custom OS that interfaces with DirectX 8.1. It's highly possible that Microsoft adapted some of what it did on the DC to the XBox. But Windows CE was a disaster.
    Last edited by Greg2600; 01-12-2009 at 07:32 PM.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't know what to tell you... Sega engineers helped microsoft design the Xbox hardware. The xbox with the Chihiro connector was manufacturered in February of 2001, 9 months before the console released.

The internal Test Harness application Microsoft used from March 2001 - November 2001 had sega assets, including logos: http://gamerhistory.com/games/XDK3910.html

The test harness was used to stress test the hardware during development. The copy used in those photos was taken straight out of Microsoft's hardware testing labs.

The relationship between Sega and Microsoft is something that was considered a trade secret, which is why you don't see much (any?) info on it. Why do you think Peter Moore left Sega and joined Microsoft so quickly? How do you think Microsoft developed a complete console from concept to delivery in 11 months?

My understanding is that there was a small group of engineers from sega that went to the Microsoft campus and acted as advisers. Part of that same agreement is the reason the early Sega titles were Xbox only. Sega disolved the partnership because of the poor sales of their xbox games.

You don't really have to believe me, i could just be some bum living on the streets who pretends to work for microsoft...

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

I take your word for it. Even so, I don't know if I want to consider the XBox a descendant of the Dreamcast or a SEGA system. Far far less than the SNES-CD Sony designed is a precursor to the Playstation. Whatever SEGA gave them, the end result was a different piece of hardware than the Dreamcast. Even your description only sounds like the SEGA people cleaned up the mess for them. Not enough in my book to call it a SEGA system or give SEGA a ton of credit.
    Last edited by Greg2600; 01-13-2009 at 12:10 AM.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For the moment it's very hard to say for me. There are a couple of games that I absolutely love, the the rest is garbage (for me at least). I loved :
    Fable
    Morrowind
    Kotor 1 / 2 (I'm currently playing Kotor 2)
    Panzer Dragoon Orta
    Arx Fatalis
    Doom 3
    Ninja Gaiden Black

I played so many hours on these games ! And in many years they will be as good as now.

But if I compare the number of XBox games I own to those I own on Gamecube, PS2 and Wii games, I don't have a lot of XBox games, and I don't plan on buying other XBox games. There is still many games on PS2 that I want, and Gamecube also.

This reminds me of the N64 ... Just a couple of very good games ! I have like less than 10 N64 games and that's it, the rest doesn't interest me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Phénix View Post
    Kotor 1 / 2 (I'm currently playing Kotor 2)
    Both are awesome games. I'm trying to find the Japanese import versions so I have another excuse to play thru them again.

Quote Originally Posted by Phenix
    I don't have a lot of XBox games, and I don't plan on buying other XBox games.
    You're in luck. Gamestop/EB is about to severly discount ALL their Xbox games to try and clear them out for the newer gen stuff. So you will be able to get the majority of Xbox games for $2-8 a piece. If theres ever been any Xbox games you wanted to try--now would be the best time to get them on the cheap.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    KingOfPain95

The XBOX Will be well remembered With Titles Like:

-Halo
    -Halo 2
    -Star Wars:KOTOR
    -GTA:San Andreas
    -Project gotham Racing 1 And 2
    -Jet set radio future
    -SEGA GT 2002
    -Panzer Dragoon Otra
    -Ninja Gaiden and ninja gaiden Black
    -Chornicles of riddick
    -Dead or alive 3
    -Metal Slug 3
    -ToeJam And Earl 3
    -The Simpsons:Hit and Run
    -Tony Hawks Pro Skater 2X-3-4
    -Max Payne
    -007:Nightfire
    -Splinter Cell

Look At all my favorite XBOX games.This system will be remembered fondly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

lol they will all break

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hellfire View Post
    lol they will all break
    You're smart.

Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    that is like putting a screen door on a battleship..
    Screen door on submarine ya' dork....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I believe ten years down the road the X-Box will be remembered fondly, but not in the same light as the PS2. The average non-hardcore enthusiast is more likely to have had a PS2 sitting in their living room than the X-Box, and the GC will probably be remembered last.

I've always felt that the X-Box was a better system, and some of the things that it introduced that we take for granted today are not so easily noticed while hindsight is not yet to our advantage. Being the Dreamcast enthusiast that I am, I feel the X-Box is probably the closest thing to a Dreamcast 2 we'll ever see.

The PS2 may have a bigger library, but that doesn't mean the games were better. Of all the titles that received a multi console release, the X-Box version always looked and played better to me. The graphics do sometimes have less color depth than the other consoles, but the clarity is unmatched. I'd rather have Sub Zero's outfit be an ever-so-slight lighter shade of blue than to put up with jerky, polygonal out of frame animation with a deeper palette.

There's no argument as to which system was the most powerful, the guys that claim that the PS2 or the GC were technologically superior are living in some kind of backwards dreamworld. I also don't get the argument that the X-Box is prone to failure- to me it's the most bulletproof system of that generation. I couldn't tell you how many guys I've known that have gone through more than one PS2, while I know of absolutely no one that has killed an X-Box. I myself have gone through two Slims, which is astonishing for someone that logged as little hours on it that I did. The fact that the X-Box was a COMPANY LAUNCH CONSOLE is even more impressive- Sony's had ten years and a previous console to get it right, Microsoft had eleven months. If they would attack their 360 with the same ethic then I would maybe be tempted to go get one. I also despise the crass way that Microsoft completely dropped it like a hot potato when the 360 was announced- it was kind of like being slapped in the face. "So you like our X-Box, huh? Well FUCK YOU! No more games bitch! Better upgrade so you won't be a loser!" That is one thing I think will bug some people down the road moreso than it does now.

The PS2 will also have a larger pool of players to draw remembrances from. The little kids that started playing it when it first came out are teens now. The X-Box was around for what, five years? A lot of players completely skimmed over the X-Box, going straight from the PS2 over to the 360.

The size of the system is not a put off to most players. I personally like a system that looks like it wants to eat your other consoles. I also don't feel like I'm handling a fragile toy like I do when I'm looking at my GC or Slim. It looks like what it is- a dedicated gaming console. One that you can use to play just about every preceding generations games on via emulation. There's a large number of guys that hold onto their Boxes just because they have so many Roms downloaded onto it. PS2 hacking never caught on simply because it was soooo easy to do on the X-Box compared to the PS2, much like the DC before it.

The controllers are some of the best ever made for a system. Everything you need, nothing you don't. Having giant ape hands, I much prefer the original "Duke" to just about anything in the last fifteen years. The "S" revision is even better. Take that, Dualshock!

One more thing- an internal HD and four controller ports. Fuck your memory cards and stingy two ports, PS2. I actually have more than one friend that wants to play From Russia With Love multiplayer, and I don't want to spend forty dollars on a multitap adapter because you're the first console in years to exclude four ports. Likewise, I don't want to have to run down to Gamestop and shell out twenty bucks on a new memory card every six months. I got everything I need in this big black box that wants to crush you.

One thing I can fault the X- Box for is that you can't play DVD's right out of the box like you could the PS2. But by the time the X-Box came out you could buy a DVD player for twenty bucks at Wal-Mart, so it's not like you really needed one anyway. I don't want a multimedia center either, I want a frigging console that plays games. If I want to watch a movie, I'll do that on the device that it was intended to be used for, thank you. (<<< Insert arrogant Comic Book Guy voice here)

Notice I've been pretty silent about the Gamecube thus far, as it's in its own class. Like ALL major Nintendo consoles, it will be fondly remembered simply BECAUSE it's a Nintendo product. Certain games on the N64 that had a release on other consoles played much better on the other consoles, but everybody remembers the N64 version. Why? Because it's Nintendo! Same thing last gen applies to this gen- it's not a question of GC, XB, or PS2, it's a bout between Sony and Microsoft. Right now, the Wii is off in its own little world while the PS3 and the 360 duke it out.

So between the two, I believe that the PS2 will be the most fondly remembered, possibly for none of the right reasons. I can tell you what I've had the most enjoyment out of between the three, as I'm sure a lot of other people can as well.

It's just like the NES and the Sega Master System, the Master System was hands down the better console, but how many of us are there that rank it as their favorite console compared to the NES? I had both, and I played the NES all day, every day. It was just more enjoyable.

We're busy arguing over which is the better system, who had the best games, whether Riddick was better than Goldeneye, etc. None of that matters a decade from now, when we'll be remembering what we had the most fun playing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    I Am Your Face
    PSN
    Solertia

I agree, the Xbox is kindof unmemorable for me, but look where Microsoft is now, Xbox 360 is HUEG!

At least they got it right the second time around.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Xbox , whilst not bad for its time, really didn't have the impact of the PS2 or the Mario factor of the Cube. Whilst I enjoyed the games on the Xbox a hell than I did than half the shit I played on the Cube, ultimately I couldn't help shake the feeling that the thing was a PC in a slightly smaller box.