Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: Prediction: The Xbox won't age well as a console.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

idk the thing about the xbox is its well built so it will hold up better than the 360 long term. The hard drive is a big win over memory cards and easily replaceable also and cheap these days. Some great games and great memories for some of us I remember anticipating the hell out of it as a sort of follow up to my beloved dreamcast and have such great memories of its launch and playing halo and other games on live it was my first exposure to online gaming

ConsoleGeek
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ChadChops

I have to say the Xbox has held up very well. Mine is hooked up to a 42" LCD TV via component cables and while not perfect it still looks good and has a lot of great games. Not to mention the games are currently really cheap which is great too!

Strawberry (Level 2) Manhattan Sports Club's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I loved the original Xbox despite its one major flaw: That it didn't have enough quality cute games. Sure I like Blinx and Psychonauts, but it catered too much to dudebros. Still, there were some phenomenal games and best ports of the time, as many have said.

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The XBOX is something I never thought I'd remember fondly, but I definitely do. I think being a Sega fanboy, and the original XBOX team was made of of a good chunk of ex Sega guys did it for me. The system was large and clunky, but I felt it had a good bunch of games and I have a lot of good memories of playing through games like Robotech while listening to my custom soundtrack on the hard drive. It had a good portion of good Sega games to since it getting games from a lot of top studios before they went defunct. I in some ways considered it Dreamcast 2.0. However the xbox360 became super generic to me and will definitely be forgotten.
    Currently attempting to complete my Genesis collection! Always looking for hard to find complete games! Send me a PM
    Please feel free to follow my collecting blog here! http://genesaturn.blogspot.com/

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Xbox is alright. A lot of those best multiplats it had are moot now that the superior PC versions are dirt cheap and easy to run with shiny enhancements. I never had an Xbox and was never interested in one. Now that I think about it, the only games that you can't find elsewhere that interest me are Panzer Dragoon, Jet Set Radio, Phantom Dust and I'll throw in Silent Hill 2 because the PC port isn't very cheap at all.

Cherry (Level 1) 8-Bit Archeology's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Steampunk360

Morrowind... :drops mic:

Deal with it.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Soft-modded mine, installed a 500GB HDD, good to go! Got tons of arcade and classic system emulation on there. Use it to play SEGACD and TG-16CD games I own but don't own those consoles.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by longcat View Post
    Now that I think about it, the only games that you can't find elsewhere that interest me are Panzer Dragoon, Jet Set Radio, Phantom Dust and I'll throw in Silent Hill 2 because the PC port isn't very cheap at all.
    Silent Hill 2 is available for PS2 (the Greatest Hits version even has the extra content the XBOX version had). There's also the terribly shoddy HD ports available on XBOX360 and PS3.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

The Xbox is alright. A lot of those best multiplats it had are moot now that the superior PC versions are dirt cheap and easy to run with shiny enhancements. I never had an Xbox and was never interested in one. Now that I think about it, the only games that you can't find elsewhere that interest me are Panzer Dragoon, Jet Set Radio, Phantom Dust and I'll throw in Silent Hill 2 because the PC port isn't very cheap at all.
    I started out with KOTOR on my PC back whenever it came out. I believe my GPU was an FX 5200 Ultra and the card I had before that was a Geforce 4. I had a 2 Ghz Celeron CPU, yet the game never did run all that smoothly on that PC. Halo ran okay, but it would bog down now and then. I ended up getting an Xbox to experience those games the way they were meant to be played.

In 2009 I tried to run KOTOR on a Windows 7 machine. The game would constantly crash, even after I tried the patches that were supposed to fix it. I ended up building a PC that had XP and Windows 7 on it in 2010. KOTOR still crashed with XP.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 8-Bit Archeology View Post
    Morrowind... :drops mic:

Deal with it.
    I'd rather play Morrowind on Xbox than Oblivion and Skyrim on Xbox 360.

Strawberry (Level 2) Manhattan Sports Club's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I recently got a hold of both KOTOR games for Xbox. I am more of a J-RPG fan but these ones are definately winning me over. I was reluctant to embrace them but gave them a shot because I wanted a decent WRPG that wasn't over the top with the shock value or juvenile panderings. I'm also only a casual Star Wars fan but considering the tame nature of the franchise, there was yet another reason for me to pick up KOTOR. And yes, they are better than Fable by far.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I never had an Xbox and was never interested in one. Now that I think about it, the only games that you can't find elsewhere that interest me are Panzer Dragoon, Jet Set Radio, Phantom Dust and I'll throw in Silent Hill 2 because the PC port isn't very cheap at all.
    All four of these are backwards compatible on the 360, to varying degrees of success (I've never tried Silent Hill 2 on my 360, but judging by the backwards compatibility list on Wikipedia, I'm not missing anything by having played it instead on my original Xbox).
    Last edited by Leo_A; 01-06-2015 at 05:44 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    Silent Hill 2 is available for PS2 (the Greatest Hits version even has the extra content the XBOX version had). There's also the terribly shoddy HD ports available on XBOX360 and PS3.
    Xbox port is better though. My point is that people always say Xbox had the best multiplat ports, when it was actually PC that got the best (in the case of straight multiplats. sometimes other platforms, mostly ps2, got extras not in the pc version, sometimes pc got terrible ports like Onimusha 3). I'm conceding you might as well get SH2 on xbox given how expensive the pc copy is now.
    Last edited by longcat; 01-03-2015 at 10:22 PM.
    WTB: Sega SLS USB Control Pad

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I understand why this thread was started, but I must say, I fondly remember the original Xbox much, much more than I thought I would during its generation.

I found it originally at a Goodwill for $10 and got it basically just to softmod. I found, though, that it had a lot more great games than expected--Panzer Dragoon, Gunslinger, Munch's Oddysee, and even really good ports of classic fighters MvC2 and both sides of SNK vs. Capcom. Plus KOTOR and Morrowind. It has a lot of sleeper hits once you get dig into the library. Underrated by traditionalists IMO

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

If you throw XBMC on it, it makes a hell of a great media player. Well, for SD material anyway, but it plays a lot of files my 360 and PS3 just won't touch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I searched around for any past Xbox Anniversary threads but this one seems one-up that idea. Everyone back while I charge up the paddles.....CLEAR!

:: thread lurches from the defibrillator and the pulse starts again ::

Now that the Original Xbox is 20 years old, what are your thoughts on some of the discussions and predictions of this thread? I can't believe I didn't comment in this one as I was pretty big into Xbox during its time. I even posted updates on the Official Xbox Magazine demo discs for crying out loud! If there's anything that kinda makes me feel old, it's definitely knowing that I played the Xbox near its birth as it practically feels just like yesterday.

The OXbox still seems to be remembered fondly by the gaming public. Emulation still seems to be talked about on the console along with unreleased games being patched up or just being released and made available like "Freefall 3050 AD". Microsoft's Xbox One can supposedly play up to about 60 past OG Xbox games from disc, which is huge on the part of the ol' "M$".

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

I don't think I ever got an answer as to why you'd need proof to validate a feeling

Of those 3 machines I owned (and of course still do), I'd say I'm more nostalgic for the PS2 than OG Xbox or Gamecube, although I like and appreciate all 3. The Dreamcast still does nothing for me personally.

I can't remember for certain what I played but I've definitely played PS2 games more recently, in part because I could play them on my phat PS3 with the wireless controllers. I still love Gradius V and Britney's Dance Beat
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

The Xbox OS is a dealbreaker for me. I dont want my save files stuck on a hard drive that will eventually fail. Every other system had memory cards but I guess that was asking too much. I also get annoyed with how the thing keeps asking me to set the date and time. but i guess thats true for Dreamcast as well if the battery dies.

I love the Duke controller and have fond memories of playing the system in 2002. The games looked better than the competition but unfortunately all the best games of that era were found on PS2 and GC.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

The original surely holds up, it had a tremendous game library and I would take the S-controller over the PS2's or the Cube's. There's currently projects ongoing to restore Xbox Live, and you can currently game online using Xlink Kai with a pseudo LAN. The Xbox HD+ mods are quite frequent, all despite being able to play the games on a 360 and the One with backwards compatibility.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gbpxl View Post
    I dont want my save files stuck on a hard drive that will eventually fail. Every other system had memory cards but I guess that was asking too much.
    There are official memory cards available for the Xbox, few people bought them so they're somewhat rare and expensive but they are available.

I also get annoyed with how the thing keeps asking me to set the date and time. but i guess thats true for Dreamcast as well if the battery dies.
    The Xbox uses a capacitor doesn't it? So if it's not saving the date and time then the capacitor is dead or dying, which is bad because these are known to leak and damage the circuit board. These need to be changed or the console could be killed permanently.

The games looked better than the competition but unfortunately all the best games of that era were found on PS2 and GC.
    You're forgetting about the PC as well.

I personally never felt much attachment for the Xbox, there were good games on it but like you said the best games worth playing were also available on other platforms. Most people seemed to like the Xbox for modding and either used it as an emulation box, or as a media station. As a game console, used as intended, it doesn't hold up as well as other classic consoles.