Thread: I need help with paper/cardboard cleaning

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default I need help with paper/cardboard cleaning

I have recently acquired a box of mostly Genesis games that were apparently left in a flooded basement or garage. Most of the cardboard boxes were so bad, I tossed them, but I'm hoping I can save the other ones. My biggest problem is manuals stuck to the games, I need a way to remove the manual without harming the game's label. I also need to separate the pages of the manuals as they are stuck together, some have actually become more like cardboard. I'm thinking about steaming them, but if anyone has a better solution, please let me know.
    Do you guys think it's even worth it to try and save this stuff, there's only a few titles I don't have, and nothing spectacular?
    Also, does anyone know if an NES system is dishwasher safe? Yes, it is THAT dirty.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

I would say that your quest to "refurbish" water damaged paper products is FAR more trouble that it's worth or any success that you'll be likely to meet.

As much as I'd like to speculate on possible ways of repairing stuck-together manuals, the reality is that if paper is water damaged to the degree that you've described, it's pretty much trash.

Now, as far as systems and dishwashers, if you're going to completely gut an NES and put the plastic parts in a dishwasher ... make sure you only put it in the top rack, and don't run it in a SUPER SUPER hot/long cycle, I've tried this type of thing with game and system cases in my dishwasher lately, and I've found that high heat can cause the plastic to warp and bend.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    I would say that your quest to "refurbish" water damaged paper products is FAR more trouble that it's worth or any success that you'll be likely to meet.

As much as I'd like to speculate on possible ways of repairing stuck-together manuals, the reality is that if paper is water damaged to the degree that you've described, it's pretty much trash.
    I don't have high hopes for any methods, but I don't have anything to lose, so I want to try different things just in case something does work.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    Now, as far as systems and dishwashers, if you're going to completely gut an NES and put the plastic parts in a dishwasher ... make sure you only put it in the top rack, and don't run it in a SUPER SUPER hot/long cycle, I've tried this type of thing with game and system cases in my dishwasher lately, and I've found that high heat can cause the plastic to warp and bend.
    It's already gutted, it's soaking in the sink with soapy water right now, hopefully that will get it clean. The heat of the dishwasher is what I was afraid of, hopefully the top rack won't be too hot. When you did it, did you have any luck with the stickers staying on? I'd like for the Nintendo stickers on the bottom to remain in place.

Strawberry (Level 2) Nitrosport's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You can try to heat up the paper and game label with a blow dryer and see if it will come loose. This usually works on removing stickers but who knows, you can try and see if it helps in your case.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by NES_Rules View Post
    I don't have high hopes for any methods, but I don't have anything to lose, so I want to try different things just in case something does work.

It's already gutted, it's soaking in the sink with soapy water right now, hopefully that will get it clean. The heat of the dishwasher is what I was afraid of, hopefully the top rack won't be too hot. When you did it, did you have any luck with the stickers staying on? I'd like for the Nintendo stickers on the bottom to remain in place.
    Okay ... well, here's a gamble on the stuck paper ... try steaming them apart. Anything you have that belches steam ... a humidifier, a steam iron, a clothes steamer, a tea-pot ... then if and when they're separated, put a bit of aluminium foil between each page while they dry. Once they're COMPLETELY dry, press them under a stack of heavy books for a week.

That would be how I do it ... but I can't imagine it being worth the effort.

As far as the NES the paper portions of the sticker will "go away" in the dish washer ... or become so "separated" from the glue that they'll just slosh off when you push them ... you can use lighter fluid to get the glue off.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll try the blow drier method, I don't have much faith in it, but it's worth a shot.

I did a little bit with steam from a tea-pot, and it worked OK. I was able to remove a manual that was stuck to a game, but the game's label needs re-glued now, and the manual didn't survive. I tried separating the pages of a couple manuals, and it worked great with some and not at all with others. But it took a bit of time doing it. I'll have to try some more when I've got some spare time.

And, it feels really weird throwing out manuals and boxes. Sure they're moldy, ripped, and useless; but it's still hard tossing them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    phreak97

just soak them in water again, hell, they've been there once before, whats the harm?
    i had some master system stuff in a similar state but nothing was really stuck together. i found that most of the manuals could be ironed out, but some types of paper bubble up instantly, which ruins whatever youre ironing. if i were you i probably would soak the manuals in water to unstick them, then put foil between the pages (and covering the outer pages) and stick them under something heavy..

in the end however, you know theyre never going to look perfect right?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I thought about re-soaking them. Didn't try it yet though. And yes, I know they'll never look right, I just want them to either be completely ruined so I have to throw them out or good enough to put in my collection. They're right in the middle as of now. The one I would really like to save is a Genesis Game Genie book, it would be nice to be able to read at least a portion of it.

I decided against dishwashing the NES, I cleaned it in the sink and all the dirt came off fairly easily, but the plastic is definitely discolored. So, I got the system working (amazing since it was obviously soaked in muddy water for who knows how long) put in a really bright blue LED and now I'm planning on painting it (haven't decided on a color scheme yet).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The re-soaking method didn't work. The pages did come apart, but they came apart between the page instead of separating each of the pages.