Thread: Using UK systems in the United States

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Using UK systems in the United States

Have a long list of questions that I haven't been able to find answers to.

I want to import a N64, PS2, and a Xbox 360 from the United Kingdom one of these days for some games I want that never came out over here.

Can I use American power supplys on each of these (Besides the PS2 that now has a internal power supply with the latest redesign of the slim if I get a new model)? Or is the connector and voltage going into them different from their US counterparts? I'm assuming just the plug that goes into the power outlet and the power supply itself are different, with the power input on the console and the power the consoles are expecting are the same as the North American versions.

Or should I just get something to use the original power supplys by converting 110 volts to 220, or whatever it is? I think that's possible.

I'd be hooking them up to a Westinghouse 24" LCD computer monitor that has hdmi, component, s-video, and composite inputs. Would this probably prevent any issues with the consoles being PAL and not NTSC? It works okay with the US versions of each console.

And I assume the 360 could be hooked up via a HDMI cable bought over here, but what would be the best way to hook up the 64 and PS2 without modifying anything? Same cables I use over here (S-video for the 64 and component for the PS2), or are their cables different than their American counterparts?

Thanks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You should be able to use normal cables for the 360 if I'm not mistaken. As for the N64, back then(during the 32-64 but era) some sort of step up convertor was needed to be used when playing US systems on PAL tvs and PAL systems on US tvs.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Should be fine for 360 and N64, the PStwo here still have external transformers afaik (only Japan has them inside just yet I believe). Your main worry will be getting a picture from the consoles... have to research if the monitor supports PAL.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Thanks

How would I hook up the N64 and Playstation 2 to my display though? Will a s-video cable for American Nintendo consoles from the SuperNes-GameCube work with it, and American PS2 component cables for the PS2? Assuming I don't have PAL issues that is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

So I've done some thinking and decided importing a PS2 will cover everything I wanted besides the ability to play 1 N64 game. Wanted the 360 to play two original Xbox games in BC mode (Richard Burns Rally using the 360's wheel, and the uncensored European version of Indigo Prophecy). But both are available for the PS2 over there as well, so might as well go for one system since theres several more PAL PS2 exclusives I want as well as to be able to play UK DVD's.

Anyways, if anyone knows, I need to know once and for all if a American PS2 slimline power adapter will output the correct voltage for a UK PS2 (Is the power brick all that is different between regions, or is the console actually different internally and expecting a different voltage from the power adapter?)? And what are the available video output options? I'm guessing the systems are identical besides the video circuitry since it makes sense the power bricks would both output the same voltage, but I need more than guesses.

Can I use American video cables and get a picture (Assuming my display supports PAL signals)? Are there European versions of composite, s-video, or component cables that match their American counterparts so I know I can physically hook it up to my display? Pictures would seem to indicate that the cables are identical between the two regions and that the European version supports all three, but I'd like to be sure.

Basically, I need to know if my only hurdle will be if my display actually displays PAL signals, which I'm hoping it does since its actually a computer monitor with a full range of computer and television input options. So I'm assuming its more versatile when it comes to what its recieving than a typical television would be.

If I need to figure out adapters to actually just physically hook it up to a American display and something to convert 110 volts to 220 or whatever, it may be more trouble than its worth to play 7 or 8 games and a DVD or two.

As for my display, if I can play PAL 7800 games on it without any issues, think its probably safe to say a PS2 would be fine too?
    Last edited by Leo_A; 07-25-2008 at 11:56 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    icbrkr

I have 2 systems that I imported from Austria that are PAL - *if* your input device supports a PAL signal and can decode a proper PAL color-encoding you're fine. For example, the Commodore C116 I brought over will work on a US power supply, and the 1084 I hook it to can lock to a PAL frequency (50Hz), but it cannot decode it's color signal so the system displays only in black and white.

I attempted hooking it up to a VGA switchbox (Composite -> VGA) but no go, still black and white because my output cannot decode the color signal. I ultimately have to buy a $150 true PAL/NTSC converter for it to work right.

Unfortunately, none of my HDTV televisions will display it either (2 Sony's, one Sharp). It's more common in the UK/Europe to have a set that will display PAL/NTSC than here in the states.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Thanks

Is there anyone that can address my primary concerns? Will it be compatible with US slim PS2 ac adapters and are video cables the same between the two regions?

Edit - Darn, forgot PS2's now have internal power supplies. Can anyone recommend a good step down (Or is it up?) converter that would work well for plugging this into a outlet?
    Last edited by Leo_A; 07-26-2008 at 07:55 PM.