Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Amiga CD32 inquiry (amiga in general)

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

Default Amiga CD32 inquiry (amiga in general)

i was looking through games tm ( a uk gaming magazine) and noticed some interested amiga cd32 games... so i went on ebay and noticed that the console itself isnt too expensive (around 100 bucks) however i couldnt find a single game listed.

what games does this system play?

where can i get these games?

does it play disk based amiga games?

the consoles are all ntsc, are there region protected games? are there pal games?

is this a consolized version of the commadore amiga pc system?

thanks for info!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Poofta! View Post
    i was looking through games tm ( a uk gaming magazine) and noticed some interested amiga cd32 games... so i went on ebay and noticed that the console itself isnt too expensive (around 100 bucks) however i couldnt find a single game listed.

the consoles are all ntsc, are there region protected games? are there pal games?

thanks for info!
    I'll try and answer some of your questions.

The system obviously plays CD32 games. It can also play quite a few CDTV games. I've also heard of people making compilation discs with hundreds of Amiga games. The CDTV compatibility is sort of a let down as the only 2 A+ games on the CDTV (Turrican and Turrican 2) are not compatible with it.

You can get these games off ebay. Also stores like www.softhut.com and others stock quite a few titles.

I don't know if it plays disc games but I know the CDTV could.

The way I understand it, the system really took off in Europe. So most of the games are PAL. However, if you use a RGB monitor they should work. Some of the games need a RAM upgrade, however to improve performance.

It is a console vision of the Amiga 1200 I believe.

It's generally a nice system. Unfortunately quite a few developers were lazy and what you end up getting are basically floppy versions of Amiga 1200 games. The most unforgivable being the port of Syndicate.
    Robot, fight like a chicken!

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

thanks a lot for the quick reply, im still a little hazy... i havent found a single cd32 game on ebay.

so, as i understand this, it is a consolized version of a computer amiga 1200 desktop?

would it be better to get an amiga 1200 then? does the 1200 play cd32 games?

whats a cdtv.

i have a lot of questions as im pretty much totally unfamiliar with the Amiga(s). so if there is a place to go read about this, please let me know.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

thanks a lot for the quick reply, im still a little hazy... i havent found a single cd32 game on ebay.

so, as i understand this, it is a consolized version of a computer amiga 1200 desktop?

whats a cdtv.
    Actually if you go on e-bay now and search, 'Commodore cd32' you will see quite a few games.

Yes, the CD32 is mostly a 1200. However, you do have to buy a specific cd-rom plus appropriate RAM I believe for it to work on a 1200. I'd stick with a CD32 for simplicity and the cool factor.

The CDTV is basically a consolized version of the Amiga 500. Very few good games on it. Even fewer of those games actually take advantage of the CD-ROM.
    Robot, fight like a chicken!

Peach (Level 3) Princess-Isabela's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

onto the answers!

it plays naturally cd-32 software, quite a bit of cdtv titles, audio cd's and video cd movies(with an fmv add-on), it also plays floppy disks like a real amiga computer(it requires a speciall add-on such as sx-1, promodule, etc...),

from internet auctions/collectors, I have quite a selection of games so if you're interested I might sell some to you ^_~

with special add-on, yes.

games aren't region protected, some of the games are in pal, there is an option to boot system either in pal or ntsc mode before playing it.

this is a amiga based system(console version), it is basically an Amiga 1200 with Akiko chip(chip never took off as a special improvement but some games such as wing commander did use it), think of it as a Amiga 1200 with internal cd-rom but without floppy drive, games are really great, for the most part they do contain extra features such as audio tracks, fmv(full motion videos) and extra levels.

thanks for info![/QUOTE]

Amiga Forever!!!
    Last edited by Princess-Isabela; 04-08-2008 at 01:51 AM.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

i actually can only see like 4 games on ebay when i searched Commodore cd32... am i doing something wrong? those games are all under teh ebay stores logo too.

quick question: i have an lcd tv 1080p... i live in north america so everything i ever hooked up to it was ntsc, anyone know if it would take a pal signal?

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

Yes, but the CD32 doesn't have a build-in floppy drive, nor does it have a port for one. There are a few add-ons for the system that provide this port (along with many others), but these add-ons are very expensive, to the point of making the whole thing far more expensive than just buying an Amiga 1200.

NTSC games are extremely hard to find, and finding out if a game is NTSC or not is almost impossible (it's not written on the spine or anything). So, if you want to get into the CD32 scene, you HAVE to be able to handle PAL video. There is a way to switch between PAL and NTSC mode, but an important thing to note is that a PAL system will ALWAYS output PAL colours (which will probably be black and white on an NTSC TV), and an NTSC system will ALWAYS output NTSC colours. Even though the menu option may say NTSC/PAL, it's really just a 60Hz/50Hz switch. Don't let anyone feed you some BS about hooking the system up in S-Video to get colour or anything like that... trust me, it won't work. If you mod the system for RGB (or use one of those expensive add-ons which have an RGB port), you can supposedly get around this colour problem, but I haven't tried it myself.

A lot of PAL games will still work in NTSC mode, but sometimes there will be about an inch of the screen missing from the bottom. Depending on the game, this may make things difficult (Project X) or completely impossible (Nick Faldo's Golf). Other games will get severe graphical glitches, which may make the game impossible to play (Disposable Hero, Super Skidmarks, etc). Some games will refuse to boot at all (Bubba 'n Stix, Alien Breed, etc). Many games will happily display their title screen and menus, and then mysteriously crash when the game starts (Alfred Chicken, Universe, Dragonstone, etc).

The CD32 died hard in North America (and by some accounts, may have never actually been released), so finding stuff in the States is next to impossible. You'll have to be prepared to buy stuff from Europeans, but there's always some stuff on there, you just have to click on "Worldwide" to see them.

That really depends on what you want from the system. The main appeal of the CD32 (such as it is), is that you can play Amiga games in a console setting. If you don't mind going the computer route, the Amiga 1200 may be a better choice. Aside from a handful of games, every CD32 game was also released in disk form for play on "normal" Amiga's. In fact, most of the games were originally made in disk form and then ported to the CD32 with some enhancements like CD-Audio, FMV, etc... then again, many games didn't get ANY enhancements at all, so you're usually not missing out on much.

Playing most CD32 games on an Amiga 1200 *IS* possible, but honestly, it's more trouble than it's worth. Don't even bother.

It's worth pointing out that there are TONS of great games on the Amiga that never got ported to the CD32. If you can find a good Amiga 1200 with a hard drive and some extra RAM, install WHDLoad on it, and you'll have yourself a pretty fun little system.

whats a cdtv.
    It was an earlier system released by Commodore. It was meant to be more of a multimedia system like the CD-i. It looks a bit like a VCR, and was based on the earlier Amiga 500 hardware. It was a miserable failure, and most of the software was nothing of any interest (lots of kiddy titles and garbage multimedia collections), but it did get some games like Lemmings, Turrican, Xenon 2, SimCity, Battle Chess, and others. The CD32 can play most of these. CDTV stuff seems to be harder to find than CD32 stuff though, so this probably won't be a big incentive.

i have a lot of questions as im pretty much totally unfamiliar with the Amiga(s). so if there is a place to go read about this, please let me know.
    Well, the usual places are good starts... Wikipedia has tons of info of course. There are a few people around here who know a lot about Amiga stuff if you have questions. The best Amiga forum I've managed to find is "English Amiga Board".

--Zero

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've been thinking about picking up a CD32, but what's the best way for someone in NTSC-land to play all the PAL games?
    [SIZE="4"][URL="http://www.retroreviewproject.com"]The Retro Review Project[/URL][/SIZE]

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius View Post
    I've been thinking about picking up a CD32, but what's the best way for someone in NTSC-land to play all the PAL games?
    I just have a Commodore 1084S monitor and it works fine. You also need a mouse to put the CD32 into the video standard select mode. You should be able to get a 1084S in good shape relatively cheap off Ebay, the Amiga forums or Craigslist.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I just have a Commodore 1084S monitor and it works fine. You also need a mouse to put the CD32 into the video standard select mode. You should be able to get a 1084S in good shape relatively cheap off Ebay, the Amiga forums or Craigslist.
    yes, those monitors are the most popular and everything will be displayed as it should(s stands for stereo - built in speakers).
    and other old school systems played on it will look great.
    about the pal/ntsc switch mode, there was actually time when I was doing it with regular cd-32 joypad plugged in, in the second port(by making "circles" on it hehe), but mouse is the best and proper way to do it.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Nobody's talking about the actual games. The machine came with Microcosm, I think, which is an FMV-based shooter taking place inside the human body. It's quite creepy, but otherwise underwhelming. The game that all the US magazines talked about was D/Generation, which I've played for the PC and it is really quite cool. It's a really fun game with a cool soundtrack and a nice ambience. If you get one be sure and try that game.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

Ze_ro, thanks a LOT for your info. really, really informative.

*how* expensive are these floppy expansions to the cd32? (as well as the RGB) ?

lets say i do get a 1200, i dont mind going through the trouble of getting cd32 to work on it, i heard all i need is some ram and a cd drive -- anything else?

i have a 1080p LCD TV, im not sure if it accepts PAL (honestly i thought the whole idea of pal/ntsc was irrelevant w/ hdtv technology) i never hooked up a PAL source to it... does anyone know if i can, or how it will look?

so, my understanding is that lets say most games are PAL, but they will run on an NTSC console no [problem, as long as i use a mouse to switch output mode.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell View Post
    Nobody's talking about the actual games. The machine came with Microcosm, I think, which is an FMV-based shooter taking place inside the human body. It's quite creepy, but otherwise underwhelming. The game that all the US magazines talked about was D/Generation, which I've played for the PC and it is really quite cool. It's a really fun game with a cool soundtrack and a nice ambience. If you get one be sure and try that game.
    im not really asking any questions about games, and frankly it doesnt matter. whats important is how to get the hardware working here in the US and the type of software it will play.

i know the games library pretty well, as its essentially a DOS port box with some other exclusives which were similar to DOS games at the time, all that will come later, im pretty sure ill buy games indiscriminately as long as they fun to me.

i had microcosm for the pc back in the day, it was poop.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

im not really asking any questions about games, and frankly it doesnt matter. whats important is how to get the hardware working here in the US and the type of software it will play.

i know the games library pretty well, as its essentially a DOS port box with some other exclusives which were similar to DOS games at the time, all that will come later, im pretty sure ill buy games indiscriminately as long as they fun to me.

It's not a DOS port box whatever that means. I suppose you could call it an Amiga port box, but only a small percentage of the games were ported to the PC and always in inferior versions. I'm starting to suspect that this was just a troll post as you apparently had no ability to check Ebay and no ability to do a simple Google search which would have yielded all the info you needed in like 30 seconds.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

lol, back in the day games were ported from Amiga to Pc, those conversions were quite disappointing when compared to Amiga originals.
    there were many exclusives on Amiga you couldn't find anywhere else and they hold up extremely well.
    it is by all means no dos port box.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

ok my mistake... nevertheless, like i said, ill deal with games later.

just to reiterate my last post before it got off-topic:

""Ze_ro, thanks a LOT for your info. really, really informative.

*how* expensive are these floppy expansions to the cd32? (as well as the RGB) ?

lets say i do get a 1200, i dont mind going through the trouble of getting cd32 to work on it, i heard all i need is some ram and a cd drive -- anything else?

i have a 1080p LCD TV, im not sure if it accepts PAL (honestly i thought the whole idea of pal/ntsc was irrelevant w/ hdtv technology) i never hooked up a PAL source to it... does anyone know if i can, or how it will look?

so, my understanding is that lets say most games are PAL, but they will run on an NTSC console no [problem, as long as i use a mouse to switch output mode.""

Pear (Level 6) Soviet Conscript's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

hmmm...for a minute i was excited about the possibility of a consolized Amiga. i have Amiga 500 and a CD32 on its way (i hope). sitting in front of a small PC monitor and gameing has really fallen out of favor with me lately and i was hopeing with the cd32 expansion and a external floppy i could set something up to play my amiga 500 games in the bedroom on my big screen TV through S-video and with an acual controller.

looking on ebay external Amiga floppies seem to be in the 25-40 doller range

can't seem to find any of the add on ports for the CD32 so i'll have to assume they are rare and insanely expensive

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Soviet Conscript View Post
    hmmm...for a minute i was excited about the possibility of a consolized Amiga. i have Amiga 500 and a CD32 on its way (i hope). sitting in front of a small PC monitor and gameing has really fallen out of favor with me lately and i was hopeing with the cd32 expansion and a external floppy i could set something up to play my amiga 500 games in the bedroom on my big screen TV through S-video and with an acual controller.

looking on ebay external Amiga floppies seem to be in the 25-40 doller range

can't seem to find any of the add on ports for the CD32 so i'll have to assume they are rare and insanely expensive
    You need to not limit yourself to Ebay. Spend a little time getting to know folks over at the Amiga forums (Amiga.org is a good place to start) and I guarantee you will find someone selling an SX-1 in relatively short order for a reasonable price. The expansion boxes with accelerators and extra RAM are more expensive, but not necessary since very few games ever took advantage of them.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    You need to not limit yourself to Ebay. Spend a little time getting to know folks over at the Amiga forums (Amiga.org is a good place to start) and I guarantee you will find someone selling an SX-1 in relatively short order for a reasonable price. The expansion boxes with accelerators and extra RAM are more expensive, but not necessary since very few games ever took advantage of them.
    sx-1 is the floppy expansion? how much does that go for ? gimme a range.

how about an RGB expansion.

Pear (Level 6) Soviet Conscript's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

sx-1 is the floppy expansion? how much does that go for ? gimme a range.

how about an RGB expansion.
    no, the sx-1 is an add on that lets you add a external floppy.