Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    JOEY BLACKOUTS
    PSN
    JOEY_BLACKOUTS

Default Quest for Glory

I just searched and I didn't see a good Quest for Glory thread for quite some time.

I've recently been getting back into the series as I haven't played them since the mid 90's. Of course I have my favorites, those being the 4 and the re-make of 1, but I want to be able to play through them all again. Not only that, I want to be able to run through all 4 in order, carrying my character all along the way as I love that feature. My favorite types of characters to make (outside of Paladin) were hybrid thief-magic user or magic user-thief. So far I have found copies of 1 and 4. Since they are relatively simple point-and-click interfaces, the gameplay has aged pretty well IMO. I still love the sound (the music from 4 really sticks in your head) and the graphics were, for the most part, well drawn EGA or VGA. They run very well in dosbox, even on a mac, if you don't have a machine old enough to run them natively anymore.

I used to have the Collection series cd that had 1-4 but I made the fatal mistake of lending it out to someone; now it's gone. After getting the bug to try and play them again, I looked for them on ebay, and my jaw dropped. I paid $20 for the collection when I bought it back in the late 90's, and now just the cd of the collection or the anthology will run you a minimum of like $75-80. I got even more upset when I saw Vivendi (Sierra no longer exists) re-release the King's Quest, Police Quest and Space Quest collections, but not Quest for Glory. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to keep hunting until I find a decent price for it, unless some benevolent soul wishes to part with it for a much lower price.

Who else around here is a QFG fan?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BurgerTrench

I play Quest for Glory I - III pretty regularly and I'm a giant fan of the series.

Each of the three are amazing games, but part Wages of War did something completely original by setting the game in what amounts to Africa. I can't think of another game that has been so bold in taking on non-european setting in a "fantasy" game (though I'm sure there are many).

They're well worth replaying for past fans and essential playing for anyone who missed them originally.

I never was able to play Shadows of Darkness. I purchased it at retail when it originally came out but could not get past fatal bugs in the first 10 minutes of the game. It's one of the very few games I've ever returned. I've tried to find a "patched" copy online to replay through but haven't had much luck.

I've never played Dragon Fire either. So I don't know if I'm missing out.
    "Be proud of what we make you do." - Master Shake, SGC2C - Baffler Meal
    Blog time!
    On Facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BurgerTrench

Oh, and the Magic Meadow theme from Quest for Glory: So You Want to be a Hero? is one of the finest composed pieces of music in PC gaming history.
    "Be proud of what we make you do." - Master Shake, SGC2C - Baffler Meal
    Blog time!
    On Facebook

Banana (Level 7) kaedesdisciple's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    JOEY BLACKOUTS
    PSN
    JOEY_BLACKOUTS

Quote Originally Posted by blissfulnoise View Post
    I play Quest for Glory I - III pretty regularly and I'm a giant fan of the series.

Each of the three are amazing games, but part Wages of War did something completely original by setting the game in what amounts to Africa. I can't think of another game that has been so bold in taking on non-european setting in a "fantasy" game (though I'm sure there are many).

They're well worth replaying for past fans and essential playing for anyone who missed them originally.

I never was able to play Shadows of Darkness. I purchased it at retail when it originally came out but could not get past fatal bugs in the first 10 minutes of the game. It's one of the very few games I've ever returned. I've tried to find a "patched" copy online to replay through but haven't had much luck.

I've never played Dragon Fire either. So I don't know if I'm missing out.

As far as bugs in 4, if you're referring to the error you get when sliding down the slippery path, just slide the speed dial all the way to the top before you go down and you should be fine. As far as any of the others, just make sure you save often and apply the NewRisingSun patch. If you haven't played 4, you're really missing out.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

I played 1-3, and maybe four. been so long I don't remember. I do recall that I always played the first as a thief, since that was the only way to have all the stats available to add to. I really didn't know how all the leveling stats and all worked at the time, but I do remember being surprised when all of the sudden I noticed my character had a flaming sword, and I had no idea why.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cataractula
    PSN
    CTRCT

I played, and still have Dragon Fire. Personally, I love it, but I've never had the chance to play any of the other Quest for Glory games, so I can't really give it a fair comparison to any of the others.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How much do the games cost when bought individually as opposed to in a collection? Seems to me that would be a much better route if its cheaper.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    JOEY BLACKOUTS
    PSN
    JOEY_BLACKOUTS

Quote Originally Posted by James8BitStar View Post
    How much do the games cost when bought individually as opposed to in a collection? Seems to me that would be a much better route if its cheaper.
    I may have to go that route. Seems everyone and their brother is going after this collection, and anyone that has it knows exactly what it's worth.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm a huge fan of this series, with my favorites being 2 and 4. QFG2 has a lot of nostalgia factor for me, as it was one of the first games I played as a kid where it truly seemed like you could do just about anything. That, put together with the whole desert motif just really clicked with me for some reason.

AGD Interactive is actually doing a remake of this game. They've been working on it for years, so it almost seems like vaporware at this point, but I'm still eagerly anticipating its release.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
    I'm a huge fan of this series, with my favorites being 2 and 4. QFG2 has a lot of nostalgia factor for me, as it was one of the first games I played as a kid where it truly seemed like you could do just about anything. That, put together with the whole desert motif just really clicked with me for some reason
    I don't really know what about the first game clicked with me, other than I think it was my first RPG, but the part about being able to do whatever reminds me of something funny in Quest for Glory. That is, you could ask the cat-lady waitress about sex or b00bs and whatnot, and she would blush!!! Yeah, I was just the right age for that to be really cool/exciting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

I liked this series a lot, too. It had the feel of the King's Quest / Space Quest games, but wasn't quite as unyielding and inflexible as those. As long as you had perhaps two different skillsets (you could usually pick up an extra skill or perhaps two in addition to the ones for your "class" - like magic-using or sneak if you're a fighter), you had multiple options for how to solve a puzzle. That, and most of the puzzles seemed to have reasonable / logical conclusions.

The combat seemed like a perfect balance between twitch and turn-based, IMO.

You know what...this thread is making me want to go play those games again. I have that anthology disc and QFG V somewhere; I need to play them. I never finished IV.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Great games, still highly playable in today's gaming world, IMO.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    JOEY BLACKOUTS
    PSN
    JOEY_BLACKOUTS

Quote Originally Posted by calthaer View Post
    I never finished IV.

I'm running through IV again right now, it's just as fun now as it was when I first played it in the 90's.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Reviving this thread due to playing Quest for Glory recently.

I've been playing the VGA remake of Quest for Glory using SCUMMVM on my Android phone. It runs really well! I was quite surprised considering how poorly most games, emulators, and other apps run on an HTC Hero. But much like EA's Tetris, SCUMMVM runs super-well on my smartphone. I guess it shows you the difference between really skilled programmers and just some people messing around with an SDK.

...Oh my, I just realized I'm playing Quest for Glory, A.K.A. Hero's Quest, subtitled So You Want to Be a Hero, on my HTC Hero. That's too funny.

My favorite part about Quest for Glory thus far is the humor. It's hidden just below the surface in certain bits of dialog or descriptions, so you might not see it for a while... or at all. But once you find the jokes in this game, a game which appears to be a straight-up serious RPG adventure, the laughs hit you like a clown with a foam squeaky bat due to their unexpectedness. The art style reminds me of King's Quest V, and that's a good thing. I only wish that the music was more prominent, but I guess that Quest for Glory was supposed to have a more ambient soundtrack.

And though it might be the modern pampered gamer in me, I wish that the design would make it more obvious how to improve your skills. Oh well, I guess it's time to read the manual. What a concept!

If anyone is looking to buy copies of Quest for Glory I, II, III, IV, or V, they can be bought as a QfG bundle for ten bucks from GOG. And for anyone who's looking for a *new* Quest for Glory, be sure to check out the new game in the same tradition by the original designers, Lori and Corey Cole, called Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Never mind, didn't realize that this was 4 years old.