Thread: This guys says he "accidently" bid on and won my auction -- Seller Advice

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default This guys says he "accidently" bid on and won my auction -- Seller Advice

I listed several video game related items on ebay recently. One of my buyers who won 5 auctions for a total of about $75, claims he bid on one of the items that he won (for about $15) by mistake and doesn't want the item. He has offered to pay all ebay fees related to listing and selling the item.

How does one "accidently" bid on something on ebay?

My first reaction is to tell the guy "hell no, suck it up, pay for ALL the items you won and put it back up on ebay yourself if you don't want it" -- but I'm trying to be fair and reasonable.

Anyone else have a similar situation or any advice seller to seller? What is fair here?

Kevin
    Load "*",8,1

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Similar has happened to me, always with new ebayers. Even though they are new, I don't believe they are actual mistakes, just regrets. The problem is, there is nothing you can do to make them pay, and in my case I always had a lot more to lose from a negative feedback then they did, so I just let it go, filed the non-paying buyer thing and re-listed.

In your case, you could hold the rest of the stuff hoping he wants it badly enough to pay for this one item. However, he has made a reasonable offer and the $15 is presumably not going to break the bank even if it only sells for $10 after re-list. Also, he'll see you as a dick if you hold out, and may not pay for anything he won.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

I've had it happen a couple of times and there really is nothing you can do. Luckily it's easy to get your fees back from ebay in situations like this.

If you do take him up on his offer to pay your fees...you can probally still get the fees back from ebay too. Too bad you can't get your time back though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

I've actually done that when bidding on multiple auctions - I bought one more faceplate than I intended to recently. I still paid for it though.

Anyone want to buy an extra Eternal Sonata faceplate?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RottenToTheGore
    PSN
    TheSuperSadist

<_< If it's a 3DO game I bid on....want to send me a second chance offer? Depending on the game of course.

I've had this happen before as well, and I took them up on their offer. While the time lost is a pain, usually you get people who just don't pay and don't respond, at least in this situation you can get a positive feedback too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm
    Hello VACRMH, you have just received 666 Meseta from Oobgarm.
    The following comment was made: HAIL SATAN

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My policy is always that if someone offers to pay the eBay fees I've incurred, that's fine. If they really don't want to buy the item, it's not worth the bad blood trying to force them to pay for it - especially if they are buying a load of other stuff from you. If you start telling them they have to pony up for it, you risk them ditching the whole deal. Of course, if you like to play hardball and are willing to risk that, then I guess that's your prerogative!

How much of your time does it really take to click the 'relist' button? Compare that to how much of your time and effort it wastes going through the whole NPB process ... and you'll still have to relist the item!!
    "The last time a nation did what a bush told them to do, they ended up wandering 40 years in the wilderness ... " - Anonymous

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cool

what more can you ask for he offered to pay all fee's, some people will just tell ya, hey i made
    a mistake, i dont want it, maybe the guy just ran out of money,

Insert Coin (Level 0) debian4life's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have never had that happen to me. I would probably let him out of it and if anyone else bid on it you can do a second chance offer to that bidder. Also by letting the person off you could get positive feedback than if you forced that person to get it.

Regards,

Brian

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If it's something you don't have any control over then just do what's in your best interest in move on. In this case it's taking his payment for the fees and relisting. If that's the inevitable end, then there's no sense spending time fighting it. Time to move on.
    Thanks,
    Eric

info@japan-games.com
    eBay: Japan-Games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey everyone,

Thanks for the advice!
    Load "*",8,1