Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

I think most gamer's attention has been diverted to another franchise releasing two days later. I know mine has. Realistically though, I just don't see much of a difference between MK-DD and this new Wii version. I realize you could make a list of specific differences, but those are all minor tweeks and improvements IMO. It's still the same core gameplay mechanic, not to mention the graphics are almost identical.

Regardless, I'll still probably buy this game eventually. Mario Kart is one of the few console games my wife actually has an interest in sitting down and playing. The splitscreen races have always been a lot of fun. Also, Nintendo gets another gold star for adding multi-controller functionality (i.e. GC/Wavebird controllers). Simply put, I wouldn't have bought this if I was forced to use the ridiculous Wii-mote or wheel accessory.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Whatever the case is.. I only have control over my own buying habits. (and I barely buy Wii games).

However I will be there that first week sometime to pick up my copy of Mari Kart with plastic wheel

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think most gamer's attention has been diverted to another franchise releasing two days later. I know mine has. Realistically though, I just don't see much of a difference between MK-DD and this new Wii version. I realize you could make a list of specific differences, but those are all minor tweeks and improvements IMO. It's still the same core gameplay mechanic, not to mention the graphics are almost identical.
    I agree with this bloke right here. The Mario Kart series just doesn't offer enough game for my buck these days. Certainly not enough to choose it over GTAIV.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BurgerTrench

Quote Originally Posted by ms89 View Post
    I agree with this bloke right here. The Mario Kart series just doesn't offer enough game for my buck these days. Certainly not enough to choose it over GTAIV.
    Truth.

After Mario Kart Double-Dash and Mario Kart DS, for my dollar, I'm completely done with the series.
    "Be proud of what we make you do." - Master Shake, SGC2C - Baffler Meal
    Blog time!
    On Facebook

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I think a lot of it has to do with how much they hyped Brawl before its release and I think they probably want people to continue to keep buying that game rather than make people lose the attention that game still has. Instead they'd rather give it as much hype as any other regular nintendo release and it should sell itself. I will buy Mario Kart because its a fun game still and some of my friends aren't into a game like Brawl as much as they are MK. I know some of my female friends to even really wanna touch Brawl and would go right for MK any day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by geneshifter View Post
    I was very hyped for this game...until trying to play multiplayer with Brawl No way I'm buying this game now.
    Huh...it's not exactly being made by the same team, y'know.

MK Wii is supposed to have an online that kills Smash from what I've read. In fact it has its own channel dedicated to MK online, you'll be able to see who's playing without inserting the disk via the channel.

Damn, I'm seriously the only one supporting this game?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

To the OP.... Check around for my feelings on the Nintendo "Kart" series.

We'll see a new one in 4 months, anyway.

I could care less about the series, in general. Nintendo has run it into the ground.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Juskin View Post
    Huh...it's not exactly being made by the same team, y'know.

MK Wii is supposed to have an online that kills Smash from what I've read. In fact it has its own channel dedicated to MK online, you'll be able to see who's playing without inserting the disk via the channel.

Um, do you honestly think that you're alone in your enthusiasm and support of a Mario Kart title?

Yes, some of us are a bit jaded when it comes to the entirety of the series ... but come on, it's a Nintendo 1st party title, it has MARIO in it's title, and it's something new for the Wii that's not shovel-ware garbage.

It's going to sell millions even without a bigger marketing push that it already has.

I wouldn't worry about "nobody supporting it". It's got plenty of support built in ... BUT it IS entry number SIX in a non-story-based game series that hasn't exactly "evolved" much over the years.

If anything I think your expectations of consumer enthusiasm for this title may just be a few clicks too high.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by diskoboy View Post
    To the OP.... Check around for my feelings on the Nintendo "Kart" series.

We'll see a new one in 4 months, anyway.

I could care less about the series, in general. Nintendo has run it into the ground.
    I just think people are really fed up with Double Dash.

I'm an MK fan, and I will admit Double Dash was just double dull. As for MKDS, I liked the game to a degree, but snaking being so accessible ruined the experience a bit.

This game seems to have the superior racing feel of MKDS, without the annoying snaking. And not to mention tracks that actually improve a lot on MKDS's.

This game seems to be the the first mario kart to really fix everything wrong in the series, and that's really why I don't see why it's getting crapped on.
    Last edited by Juskin; 04-10-2008 at 02:36 PM.

Cherry (Level 1) williewonka2k1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Simple. Gamers are still BUSTING THE SAME NUT from when Brawl came out. True story.
    -"Are you talking out of turn?"
    "No, I believe we are all talking together."
    -"I normally don't do interviews with women unless i fornicate with them................(long pause)......................so you shouldn't talk anymore..........unless you wanna....you know..."
    -Mike Tyson

"I may like fornicating more than other people, it's just who I am. I sacrifice most of my life, can I at least get laid? You know what I mean? I been robbed most of my money, can I atleast get a blow job?"
    -Mike Tyson

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Why is no one hyping this game? It find it a bit odd, it seems as though it's even more promising than the DS version, which really reminded us about what Mario Kart really is about.

Now it's got better online than Brawl, no snaking, unique control schemes, cool tricks system, balanced cars, creative tracks, and oh did I mention it's Mario Kart and it's coming out this month already?

So, why no hype?
    I think the Mario Kart Wii tour to promote the game and steering wheel will say otherwise.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've seen a commercial on TV for Mario Kart Wii here in Europe (i think the game is officially out today (11th April) here in Europe. I dont watch that much TV so i dont know how much this commecrial is aired though. But i do agree that i havnt seen too much hype for this game, atleast not on the forums that i'm on.

EDIT: I found the commercial on Youtube if anyone wants to see:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwvutlPjmRQ (i dont think the "N-Club" logo was in the begining of the commercial though).

Alittle off-topic: i was at my parents' house when i saw the commercial and my mom said Mario Kart Wii looked like fun My sister has a Wii and i have a feeling that she will buy Mario Kart Wii, so i guess i will try it at her place some day
    Last edited by jajaja; 04-10-2008 at 06:56 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Bottom line is, everyone who has a Wii who isn't burned out on the MK franchise will get the game. No one has to worry about it being a flop, that's for sure.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes you are
    U GAIZ JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE , (builds a artificial foundation here)

Casual Collector Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Shotmastarich
    PSN
    Radiantsvgun

Quote Originally Posted by MrRoboto19XX View Post
    I think Mario Kart Wii seems underhyped because the Wii doesn't seem to need any marketing, the continued word of mouth demand for the system pretty much guarentees a sale.

"Alright, congratulations, you found a Wii! the new Mario Kart just came out, can I interest you in a copy?"

Copy practically sold, with the hardcore fans buying them as well.
    Yeah, I agree.
    www.famicomshop.com -best place for famicom stuff. Run by a DP member.
    Radiant's Ongoing Ebay Auctions

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The problem with the Mario Kart series is that it peaked at Mario Kart 64 and ever since Super Circuit proved to be rather lame Nintendo's been making incremental improvements to bring it back to the level of Mario Kart 64. Problem is, how many times can you say "close but not quite" before it gets old? The only thing that's been better than 64 is the frame rate.

Double Dash was better than Super Circuit but still worse than 64.
    DS was better than Double Dash but still worse than 64.
    Wii will be better than DS but are we going to play it and just like the others think "Yeah, let's play 64 again"?

And Mario Kart 64 wasn't even this perfect game that can't be touched. It had quite a few problems.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by boatofcar View Post
    until I hear some glowing reviews, I'll pass.
    So far, Mario Kart Wii is receiving great reviews. Check them out:

Metacritic.com - Mario Kart Wii reviews

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    It's still the same core gameplay mechanic, not to mention the graphics are almost identical.
    You're describing the Grand Theft Auto series, right?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2600 View Post
    So far, Mario Kart Wii is receiving great reviews. Check them out:

Metacritic.com - Mario Kart Wii reviews

You're describing the Grand Theft Auto series, right?
    Just read IGN UK's reviews, so far it's been getting rave reviews at the review sites I trust. Sure EDGE gave it a 6, but does anyone care what they think? There's no doubt in my mind that this game will be awesome.

It's been a bumpy road for MK, albeit a fun one, but I think Nintendo finally struck gold with this one. It could have been perfect though, if they didn't screw up battle mode.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Master Roufuss
    PSN
    Roufuss

The only reason I'm getting is because its the only game my fiancee will play.

If she didn't care, I'd probably pass.

Yea, Brawl online and MK online are two seperate teams, but every Nintendo title to date that I can think of had shitty onlien when it's first released, because Nintendo can't handle the enormous strain of everyone in the US trying to connect at the same time. It happened to Strikers, but not as bad as it happened to Brawl, and I predict for the first week MK Online will be unplayable.

I'm not too excited about Mario Kart, it just seems like the same old, same old but with now with new motorcycles, which just seems kind of silly and unneeded for a game about karts.

To me, Mario Kart still feels like that same game way back on the SNES, just with more characters, items, and levels.. but Nintendo will NEVER change the formula or revamp it, simply because it sells like hotcakes. Even Zelda and Smash Bros this gen offered something new which changed the core dynamic of the game.. I don't think motorcycles are going to change MK that much.

I have to lol at "Nintendo finally striking gold with this one"... they could just have the game be Mario and Luigi and two tracks and it would still be a million seller.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Roufuss View Post
    The only reason I'm getting is because its the only game my fiancee will play.

If she didn't care, I'd probably pass.

Yea, Brawl online and MK online are two seperate teams, but every Nintendo title to date that I can think of had shitty onlien when it's first released, because Nintendo can't handle the enormous strain of everyone in the US trying to connect at the same time. It happened to Strikers, but not as bad as it happened to Brawl, and I predict for the first week MK Online will be unplayable.

I'm not too excited about Mario Kart, it just seems like the same old, same old but with now with new motorcycles, which just seems kind of silly and unneeded for a game about karts.

To me, Mario Kart still feels like that same game way back on the SNES, just with more characters, items, and levels.. but Nintendo will NEVER change the formula or revamp it, simply because it sells like hotcakes. Even Zelda and Smash Bros this gen offered something new which changed the core dynamic of the game.. I don't think motorcycles are going to change MK that much.

I have to lol at "Nintendo finally striking gold with this one"... they could just have the game be Mario and Luigi and two tracks and it would still be a million seller.
    Well, all I can say to you is simply give the game an honest chance like I will. Once you've done that, I'd really enjoy hearing what you have to say about this game.
    Last edited by Juskin; 04-12-2008 at 11:46 AM.