Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Master Roufuss
    PSN
    Roufuss

Quote Originally Posted by Juskin View Post
    Well, all I can say to you is simply give the game an honest chance like I will. Once you've done that, I'd really enjoy hearing what you have to say about this game.
    Oh, I mean, I will probably enjoy it, I'll bitch that Nintendo is uncreative, but their games are still fun.

If it wasn't for the fiancee, would I get this on the day it came out? Not a chance, espicially since Persona 3 FES is a few days before it, and GTA 4 is a few days after.

I am disappointed with the character roster, as usual... Nintendo seems to recycle out of the same pool of characters over and over and over for these games. Do we really need a baby version of every character? Do we really Nintendo?

I wish they would just make "Nintendo Kart" and drop the Mario surname... would at least make the series somewhat fresh, imo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Roufuss View Post
    Oh, I mean, I will probably enjoy it, I'll bitch that Nintendo is uncreative, but their games are still fun.

If it wasn't for the fiancee, would I get this on the day it came out? Not a chance, espicially since Persona 3 FES is a few days before it, and GTA 4 is a few days after.

I am disappointed with the character roster, as usual... Nintendo seems to recycle out of the same pool of characters over and over and over for these games. Do we really need a baby version of every character? Do we really Nintendo?

I wish they would just make "Nintendo Kart" and drop the Mario surname... would at least make the series somewhat fresh, imo.
    Those are very trivial things you're complaining about though. Frankly, I could really care less about character rosters as long as the vehicles control well, the items offer the crazy gameplay we've come to expect, and the tracks are creative as they should be.

Let's look more into the interior, rather than exterior for a second.
    Last edited by Juskin; 04-12-2008 at 12:13 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just think people are really fed up with Double Dash.

I'm an MK fan, and I will admit Double Dash was just double dull. As for MKDS, I liked the game to a degree, but snaking being so accessible ruined the experience a bit.

This game seems to have the superior racing feel of MKDS, without the annoying snaking. And not to mention tracks that actually improve a lot on MKDS's.

This game seems to be the the first mario kart to really fix everything wrong in the series, and that's really why I don't see why it's getting crapped on.
    Well This Game looks really mediocre but I will probably eventually buy it though it's not a day one purchase that brawl was and Honestly I think that Double Dash was easily the best Mario Kart since Super Mario Kart on the SNES and Mario Kart Wii doesn't look near as good as Double Dash was.

MKDS was also pretty good but I don't know don't have much faith for this game or the Wii after Brawl.
    Last edited by Lothars; 04-12-2008 at 12:18 PM.

"With Great Power Comes Great Responisibility"
    Wanting to Collect full set of Super Nintendo Games as well as Dreamcast Games.

http://users.ign.com/collection/Lothars

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

I think MKWii looks fantastic. I keep wanting to punch these idiots who keep whining that the graphics are bad. Oh, so f*****g sorry that every hair on Donkey Kong's ass isn't fully rendered with bump-mapping and bloom lighting. /end rant

I won't be buying it on launch day though... I can only really afford one new game a month, and I already have my eyes set on Okami. Rest assured that I'll be power-sliding with motion controls soon enough.

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The original Mario Kart is still my fave of all time, even now I play it at least twice a month or so, before I moved back down to CAli, me and a good friend would play it almost every night. What I think should have been done, and talking to quite a few others that agree.. is that they should have redone the original or mk64 and made it online multi player.
    Now it is the beginning of
    a fantastic story! Let us
    make a Journey to
    the cave of Monters!
    Good luck!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not too excited about Mario Kart, it just seems like the same old, same old but with now with new motorcycles ... To me, Mario Kart still feels like that same game way back on the SNES, just with more characters, items, and levels.. but Nintendo will NEVER change the formula or revamp it, simply because it sells like hotcakes.
    Doesn't this also apply to the Metal Gear series, Tomb Raider series, Rainbow Six series, Call of Duty series, Guitar Hero series, Grand Theft Auto series, and almost every other video game series in existence? Each sequel features relatively minor enhancements, building on its established core gameplay.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Master Roufuss
    PSN
    Roufuss

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2600 View Post
    Doesn't this also apply to the Metal Gear series, Tomb Raider series, Rainbow Six series, Call of Duty series, Guitar Hero series, Grand Theft Auto series, and almost every other video game series in existence? Each sequel features relatively minor enhancements, building on its established core gameplay.
    While I haven't played Metal Gear extensively enough to really say, Rainbow Six has undergone a number of changes, most notably to Vegas which is different than how the series has ever been, in terms of gameplay. Guitar Hero is more of the same, yes, and reviewers took notice of that as well (but they never do on a Nintendo title, no).

Grand Theft Auto changed itself a lot in the move from 2D to 3D, and it looks like GTA 4 is going to be ANOTHER big change for the series, but we can't say for certain until it's out. Call of Duty 4 offered some more relatively big improvements, namely in multiplayer, and Tomb Raider, well, Legend is much different than anything before it, because it's actually good

What you'll notice is that in every series you listed (except for GH 3), at one time, there HAS been a huge gameplay element that has been retooled that provided a fresh experience to the series in question. Mario Kart has always been Mario Kart, and while I still think it's fun, the formula is getting a bit stale imo, and I don't think it's something motorcycles or a new trick system is going to fix.

I mean, turning into a wolf in Twilight Princess? That was a pretty big shake up for Link. Smash Balls in SSBB? That changed how the game is played big time, at least in the matches I've played. Mario Galaxy gets a pass simply because we see a new 3D Mario game once per system lately, and Sunshine was a departure, so it's good to see something old again.

I don't know... like I said, I'm still buying it, I'll still have fun with it, but part of me wants Nintendo to really try something new, I liked Double Dash because it wasn't afraid to do it's own thing, whether it worked right or not, well, that's personal opinion. But double carts, character specific items? I'm just saddened they took the character specific items back out of MK Wii, since, imo, it provided some uniqueness to the characters.

I guess it's also because I think the motorcycles will just be a lame gimmick and halfassed rather than something really fun, but I hope to be proven wrong. I guess the point of those posts is that each series has shaken up it's core gameplay at least once and stuck with it, I guess you can say Mario Kart DD shook it up but Nintendo abandoned it to go back to what works. I think they should have at least kept the character specific items.

To tie it into the OP, maybe it's underhyped because people are oversaturated on Mario Kart? It seems to have a new iteration every 2 years or so.
    Last edited by Roufuss; 04-12-2008 at 03:05 PM.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What a bunch of whiners in this thread.
    [SIZE="4"][URL="http://www.retroreviewproject.com"]The Retro Review Project[/URL][/SIZE]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sonic R 0
    PSN
    SONICr

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius View Post
    What a bunch of whiners in this thread.
    co-sign…

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Rainbow Six has undergone a number of changes, most notably to Vegas which is different than how the series has ever been, in terms of gameplay.
    How so? Unless I'm not controlling a soldier who must sneak around and shoot enemies, the core gameplay has remained the same since its debut in 1998. That's not necessarily a bad thing. In this case, it seems as though the formula works, so why drastically alter it like you're proposing Nintendo do with Mario Kart?

Guitar Hero is more of the same, yes, and reviewers took notice of that as well (but they never do on a Nintendo title, no).
    Reviewers never notice "more of the same" with Nintendo titles? They seem to have noticed with the Mario Party series. Each new version has received lower scores than the previous one.

Grand Theft Auto changed itself a lot in the move from 2D to 3D, and it looks like GTA 4 is going to be ANOTHER big change for the series ... Call of Duty 4 offered some more relatively big improvements ... Tomb Raider, well, Legend is much different than anything before it, because it's actually good

I mean, turning into a wolf in Twilight Princess? That was a pretty big shake up for Link.
    "Big shake ups" occur once in a while (Super Mario 64, Grand Theft Auto III, Metroid Prime, etc.), but usually sequels feature minor enhancements and retain the same core gameplay. It makes sense for developers to reuse and tweak game engines than to create new ones from scratch for every sequel.

Being able to climb ropes in the new Tomb Raider game or being able to use different guns in the new Call of Duty game aren't "big shake ups." They are minor enhancements. Likewise, being able to play as a wolf in Twilight Princess was a minor enhancement. The core gameplay in Twilignt Princess remained the same as Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, and Wind Waker. Again, that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Another example: Perfect Dark for the Nintendo 64 was awesome, but it wasn't a "big shake up" from Goldeneye 007. Yes, it featured several enhancements, like the FarSight, the CamSpy, night vision, and souped-up multiplayer modes, but the core gameplay was the same.

To me, a "big shake up" would be turning The Legend of Zelda into a first-person shooter or a real-time strategy game. The core gameplay would be completely different than previous Legend of Zelda games.

You're right that the Grand Theft Auto series had undergone a huge change from part two to part three, but in subsequent sequels, the core gameplay has been the same overall. The Metroid series had also undergone a huge change with Prime, but again, in subsequent sequels, the core gameplay has been the same overall.

Mario Kart has always been Mario Kart, and while I still think it's fun, the formula is getting a bit stale imo
    What type of "big shake up" do you want for the next Mario Kart game? Should Nintendo turn it into a fishing game next time? How about a cooking simulator? A drastic change wouldn't make sense. The series is all about simple, fun, multiplayer racing and it'd be weird for Nintendo to radically alter the sequel.

part of me wants Nintendo to really try something new ... I think the motorcycles will just be a lame gimmick and halfassed rather than something really fun
    If Mario Kart Wii were a mediocre, half-hearted cash-in, would it be receiving 8s and 9s from the vast majority of the gaming press so far? Unlike Eidos, I don't think Nintendo would pay off gaming magazines and web sites.

maybe it's underhyped because people are oversaturated on Mario Kart? It seems to have a new iteration every 2 years or so.
    As do most highly-rated major video game franchises.
    Last edited by Rob2600; 04-12-2008 at 03:53 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cataractula
    PSN
    CTRCT

Quote Originally Posted by TurboGenesis View Post
    co-sign…
    Tangent.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MrRoboto19XX View Post
    I think Mario Kart Wii seems underhyped because the Wii doesn't seem to need any marketing, the continued word of mouth demand for the system pretty much guarentees a sale.

"Alright, congratulations, you found a Wii! the new Mario Kart just came out, can I interest you in a copy?"

Copy practically sold, with the hardcore fans buying them as well.
    MrRoboto is a smart man. Practically took the words right out of my mouth.
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Master Roufuss
    PSN
    Roufuss

Rob2600, I totally see where you're coming from, to me even small alterations can have a big impact on a series, but I definitely see the points you made and agree for the most part. No sense in arguing the point further, for me

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sorry, double post. See below.
    Last edited by Rob2600; 04-12-2008 at 04:01 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Rob2600, I totally see where you're coming from, to me even small alterations can have a big impact on a series, but I definitely see the points you made and agree for the most part.
    Thanks.

EDIT: I guess to long-time fans of a series, like Rainbow Six, Call of Duty, or Tomb Raider, a minor addition or enhancement might seem like a drastic change.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm hesitant to buy any more Mario Kart games till they drop down a bit. I was so annoyed with Double Dash. A real let down in terms of everything, the game series needs to have solid play on the console and online. (Bashes head as yet another SSBB game times out or mysteriously dc's)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Overbite
    PSN
    MSX6800

I havent had fun with mario kart since the first one

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2600 View Post
    How so? Unless I'm not controlling a soldier who must sneak around and shoot enemies, the core gameplay has remained the same since its debut in 1998. That's not necessarily a bad thing. In this case, it seems as though the formula works, so why drastically alter it like you're proposing Nintendo do with Mario Kart?
    Simply put, people have unrealistic expectations for Nintendo games, whether that's from nostalgia, fanboy jealously, nintendo's new fondness of the nongamer, or whatever.

That's partly why I believe they turn out so great because Nintendo wants to meet those expectations as best they can. When the fans aren't happy with Nintendo, it's usually more of the fans fault than the game's fault in my experience.

And like you were saying it's very hypocritical to say that the Mario Kart series is rehashed, and then go back to playing your Soul Calibur or Metal Gear Solid, or almost every highly rated game with a sequel.

Each Mario Kart to me has a unique feel, and provides a beneficial improvement to the series in some way just like any other series. These people act as if they wouldn't like Mario Kart until it was a completely different game called Mario Kart, or perfected by the gods themselves!
    Last edited by Juskin; 04-13-2008 at 02:55 PM.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Most people I know with the game (here in the UK, woo) are loving online at the moment... they've even taken to going online with their 360 in some random game lobby to chat while playing the blooming game with friends

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Simply put, people have unrealistic expectations for Nintendo games, whether that's from nostalgia, fanboy jealously, nintendo's new fondness of the nongamer, or whatever.

That's partly why I believe they turn out so great because Nintendo wants to meet those expectations as best they can. When the fans aren't happy with Nintendo, it's usually more of the fans fault than the game's fault in my experience.

And like you were saying it's very hypocritical to say that the Mario Kart series is rehashed, and then go back to playing your Soul Calibur or Metal Gear Solid, or almost every highly rated game with a sequel.

Each Mario Kart to me has a unique feel, and provides a beneficial improvement to the series in some way just like any other series. These people act as if they wouldn't like Mario Kart until it was a completely different game called Mario Kart, or perfected by the gods themselves!
    Let me get this straight, according to you, when the FANS aren't happy with the quality (be it actual or perceived) of a Nintendo 1st party title ... it's the FANS' FAULT(S)?

For instance, if this installment of Mario Kart is under-hyped (which I don't believe it is), or eventually (potentially) poorly critically received by the gaming press or the gaming public ... it will likely be the fault of the FANS?

I'm not even sure where to begin dissecting your assessment, so I'll give you an opportunity to fully explain yourself or revise that statement before I begin doing so.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"