Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Mario Kart Wii Underhyped?

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Juskin View Post
    Why is no one hyping this game? It find it a bit odd, it seems as though it's even more promising than the DS version, which really reminded us about what Mario Kart really is about.

Now it's got better online than Brawl, no snaking, unique control schemes, cool tricks system, balanced cars, creative tracks, and oh did I mention it's Mario Kart and it's coming out this month already?

So, why no hype?
    Let's see, cover of Nintendo Power, major stories in every major remaining print videogame magazine, coverage on G4, reviews and previews on every major videogame website, the featured game in every major retailer flyer this weekend...I hardly think this was underhyped, particularly since the game isn't evolutionary in any sense. Having said that, it's still a great game with a great on-line component. This game has had as much hype as any major release with the possible exceptions of Halo 3 and GTAIV.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    Haven't experienced any lag or game crashing so far... ...anybody had any of that on their end??
    Nope, been very smooth. I have had two little glitches, once I got kicked off wifi (might have just been my connection) and the other time I think my wifi froze (or just some idiot took forever choosing his level, I'm not sure). 99% silky smooth though

...nothing really stands out with any "wow" factor so far (especially the graphics - chunky low poly-count hands??) ... everything seems to be in order for a Mario Kart game.
    Really? I thought the graphics were quite good! Is there a side-by-side comparison of the Wii versus Gamecube versions of this game?

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by c0ldb33r View Post
    Nope, been very smooth. I have had two little glitches, once I got kicked off wifi (might have just been my connection) and the other time I think my wifi froze (or just some idiot took forever choosing his level, I'm not sure). 99% silky smooth though

Really? I thought the graphics were quite good! Is there a side-by-side comparison of the Wii versus Gamecube versions of this game?
    I never really played Double Dash ... is MK Wii a huge leap forward from that graphically? Enough to make you go "WOW!!" ?
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Talking

me 2
    also I hope nintendo make F-Zero Wii

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ntanner

I never really played Double Dash ... is MK Wii a huge leap forward from that graphically? Enough to make you go "WOW!!" ?
    No, I don't think so. But then again, while good graphics are important in a "realistic" driving game, I couldn't care less with Mario Kart. The graphics are better than in Double Dash, but it's definitely not a WOW-moment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by p_b View Post
    No, I don't think so. But then again, while good graphics are important in a "realistic" driving game, I couldn't care less with Mario Kart. The graphics are better than in Double Dash, but it's definitely not a WOW-moment.
    Yeah, I figured as much.

Don't get me wrong, I think the graphics are nice overall - and like I said (and meant) I think they're absolutely "in order" (or appropriate) for a Mario Kart game.

However, while they certainly don't detract from the quality of the product ... I WAS a bit shocked to see things like character body parts with such low poly counts in a Wii game. (Check out Peach's hands in her Kart mode ... those look like N64 era polygons)
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

anyone play the arcade vesion Mario Kart

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Played it, Rented it(free coupon), Loved it. Awsome online mode. Great title, and yes this game seems to have been in the shadows of Brawl a little. I know that Nintendo fans arent used to getting A+ games back to back like this. A must buy.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Besides the online play, is there anything else in this game that makes it stand head and shoulders above Double Dash?

Insert Coin (Level 0) graciano1337's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    J City Mayne

I must say ... whoever is responsible for the online mode in this game should have been responsible for the online mode in Smash Brothers Brawl instead.

I am downright blown away with the silky smooth online operation. Haven't experienced any lag or game crashing so far...

...anybody had any of that on their end??

Overall seems like a solid Mario Kart game. I haven't really played any since the N64 version, and while nothing really stands out with any "wow" factor so far (especially the graphics - chunky low poly-count hands??) ... everything seems to be in order for a Mario Kart game.

I'd say worth it for the online mode alone!
    I agree. The online is amazing! Looks like the learned from Brawl (which is still terrible BTW.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ntanner

Quote Originally Posted by boatofcar View Post
    Besides the online play, is there anything else in this game that makes it stand head and shoulders above Double Dash?
    Uhm....maybe bikes? And I immensly enjoy the wii-waving-control-mechanism
    Although the game's IMHO easier when using a wavebird, I just think it's fun. On the negative side, Double Dash let you unlock things while playing together, whereas here you have to unlock most (?) things in the single-player mode.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think it is a bit underhyped for the "typical gamer". There probably weren't tons of people at midnight launches.

But all of my casual gamer friends who own Wii's bought Mario Kart on Sunday. They didn't want Smash Bros. at all but Mario Kart for sure. I think Mario Kart will sell really well, just maybe not as many as Smash did right away.
    Owner of PriceCharting.com and JJGames.com.
    Video Game Price guides for every game for every system from NES to Xbox 360.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by p_b View Post
    Uhm....maybe bikes? And I immensly enjoy the wii-waving-control-mechanism
    Whats the deal with the bikes anyway? I don't get it. I've been playing with carts only (just finished 50cc on all 8 courses). How are they controlled?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Whats the deal with the bikes anyway? I don't get it. I've been playing with carts only (just finished 50cc on all 8 courses). How are they controlled?
    bikes corner a *bit* better, and they have the ability to pop a wheelie for an instant turbo boost, other than that, not much really.

I'm loving the game so far, played a few online matches and was very impressed. Overall the only complaint I have is that when in first place you seem to be CONSTANTLY bombarded with weapons. I mean earlier today I was racing and got hit with a pow, lightening, red shell and blue shell all one right after the other.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

I must say ... even though Nintendo is re-treading (no pun intended) familiar ground with Mario Kart and Smash Brothers, they're doing a GREAT job of reminding me how good they are at making solid 1st party software, and why I enjoyed those franchises in their earliest iterations.

I'll be adding my Mario Kart info to the code thread before the weekend (I want to give it a bit more time for people to get their copies) ... we need to have a big ol' DP race sometime soon.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slip81 View Post
    Overall the only complaint I have is that when in first place you seem to be CONSTANTLY bombarded with weapons. I mean earlier today I was racing and got hit with a pow, lightening, red shell and blue shell all one right after the other.
    Welcome to Mario Kart

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ntanner

Quote Originally Posted by slip81 View Post
    bikes corner a *bit* better, and they have the ability to pop a wheelie for an instant turbo boost, other than that, not much really.
    And the stunts in mid-air look great!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They FINALLY included SNES Battle Course 4. That level makes the game worth every penny.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Quote Originally Posted by udisi View Post
    Welcome to Mario Kart

Would it have been too much to ask to include an option to randomize items? That's the one thing about the original Mario Kart that I wish they'd bring back.

Well, that and the feather

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by udisi View Post
    Welcome to Mario Kart
    well yeah, I know, but it seems to be at it's worst in this version. I don't remember there being a constant onslaught in the GCN or N64 versions, at least not in the 50cc circuit.

Though it's not really a huge complaint, as it's not something that detracts from the fun, or has cause me to loose any races, it's just an annoyance.

Also I'm a bit mad at the loss of snaking, but that's only because I was just starting to get good at it thanks to MK DS.