Thread: How to use an external hard drive with the PS2 to play backup games...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default How to use an external hard drive with the PS2 to play backup games...

Hey everyone,

As you can see from my join date and number of posts, I'm kind of a lurker around here.

Anyway, I'm a huge collector of PS and PS2 games. I'm really anal about the discs getting scratched up, because I want them around as long as possible.

The problem is that I want to play them as well. This isn't a huge deal with my PSone games as I just burn them onto my computer and use an emulator, however, I don't have that option with the PS2.

So, I started looking in to getting a mod chip for my PS2. The problem is I can't solder it myself, and I have no idea where to find someone who can. Every thread I find talking about websites on google is about 2 years old, and most of the links are dead or the sellers don't seem reputable.

I also read that instead of using a mod chip there are steps you can take to play games off of an external hard drive instead of with a disc--that's the most appealing option for me because I then wouldn't have to worry about wearing down the lens.

At this point I'm willing to buy a pre-modded PS2, or send one to get modded, it doesn't matter. Oh, and ideally I'd like one of the older models because I don't like the design of the slim ones. (Plus I think you need an older model to use the external hard drive).

I hope it's not against forum policy to ask questions like this, I did a search and found similar threads about modding, so, I don't think it is.

Anyway, if anyone has any help whatsoever, please PM me or respond in the thread. Also, if this belongs in Modern gaming or something, my apologies and hopefully it'll get moved.

Thanks!
    "Men doth not yield himself to the angels, nor unto death utterly, save only through the weakness of his feeble will."
    --Joseph Glanvill

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

i cant personally back this up but my friend used an external harddrive with a loader program and he told me most of the games wouldnt run using this method.
    For lucky best wash, use Mr. Sparkle.

DP Feedback Thread
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show...ight=mrsparkle

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    GET YOUR HANDS OFF MY NINTENDO!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you own legitimate copies of the games, it's painfully simple to play them from a hard drive.

Buy an network adapter. Put a hard drive of any size below 128 GB into the PS2. Buy a disc called HD Loader or HD Advance. The disc will let you store, and then play games from your hard drive. Regardless of what anyone tells you, the two programs are identical aside from any patches applied. The original versions of the discs play about 90% of the PS2 catalog. After a few patches availible on the net they were able to get slightly better compatability. You can only use the patches if you have a mod chip.

You only need a chip if you want to use burned discs to store on your hard drive or if you want to patch HD Loader.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ProgrammingAce View Post
    If you own legitimate copies of the games, it's painfully simple to play them from a hard drive.

Buy an network adapter. Put a hard drive of any size below 128 GB into the PS2. Buy a disc called HD Loader or HD Advance. The disc will let you store, and then play games from your hard drive. Regardless of what anyone tells you, the two programs are identical aside from any patches applied. The original versions of the discs play about 90% of the PS2 catalog.
    WOW!!! Thanks Programming Ace! I never knew that you could do this... When I bought my PS2 it came with the network adapter (Although I have NEVER used it), I also have a spare 75 gig HD. I guess I just need to hunt down that disk you are talking about.

Is there a list of campatible or NON-compatible games somewhere? Also, can I back up my PS1 games on the HD as well as PS2 games with this method?
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Complete list of compatible games on the hdloader.

http://www.absoluteanime.com/hdloader.html?page=0

Insert Coin (Level 0) b1aCkDeA7h's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Check to see if the hard drive fits the network adapter. You can modify the network adapter to fit any hard drive. However, as a word of caution, I've broken a network adapter I've modified in order to accommodate a Western Digital hard drive. As far as hard drives go, I recommend a seagate. I'd settle on a Maxtor if not, and personally a Hitachi (an infamous "death star" to boot) because I got it for cheap.

You don't need to hunt down any HDLoader disc. All you need go do is Free McBoot your PS2 (a softmod). You do need someone who has a modded or McBooted system to install it though.

I don't know if you live in the NJ area, but if you do, I'd be willing to help you out. If not, I'd be willing to install the mod if you send me a memory card.
    Last edited by b1aCkDeA7h; 05-25-2010 at 07:06 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

From personal experience I recommend a Maxtor hardrive for the PS2 hardrive loader. Never had a problem with one. I believe the original PS2 hardrives were made by maxtor as well so it would make sense to use one.