Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Master Roufuss
    PSN
    Roufuss

Default Atlus Shop closes down, teams up with Amazon

Heard from my friend that Atlus had closed down their online shop, and sure enough, they have.

The email reads as this:

Dear Atlus Shop customer,

Thank you for purchasing direct from Atlus in the past.
    The Atlus Shop you all knew and (possibly) loved is no more. In the interests of making sure that customers are getting the best shopping experience possible, we've teamed up with Amazon.com. Expect faster order processing, free shipping*, and exclusive special promotions... not unlike this nifty $5.00 off promotional code.
    Yes, Atlus sent me a $5 off anything Amazon code, which I plan on using on Arcana Heart to support the new junction. They should be sending the code to anyone who was a past customer or who signed up for their new newsletter. And yes, they encourage that as well.

So, while I'll miss the Atlus Shop, I greatly love Amazon (even have Prime) and I hope this move will be big for Atlus, because this means Amazon should get ample supply of the games now and it's one less reason for me to go to Gamestop.

Exclusive promotions also sounds kick ass.. as if Atlus needs to give me MORE reason to spend my money on their products I imagine they will give more promotions through the new newsletter.

Definitely a great move on Atlus's part... even if Gamestop decides they don't feel like stocking Persona 4 (if it comes to the US, it'll definitely be Q4 2008, not sure if Gamestop is going to still keep getting in PS2 games then), I bet Amazon will have no problem stocking it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    hwj_chim

Looks like I will be using amazon more.
    SEGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Fuyukaze008

Looks as if I'll have a use for Amazon after all. Well, beyond making smart ass coments about.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Roufuss View Post
    Definitely a great move on Atlus's part... even if Gamestop decides they don't feel like stocking Persona 4 (if it comes to the US, it'll definitely be Q4 2008, not sure if Gamestop is going to still keep getting in PS2 games then), I bet Amazon will have no problem stocking it.
    I doubt Gamestop wouldn't stock Persona 4 if only to secure more pre-orders and to keep moving PS2 stock. I don't think the PS2 will be dead by then - lying on the floor in a coked-out daze, maybe.
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

I've never used,Atlus shop still good news for me given how much i use amazon.

I guess atlus thought useing amazon will reach more customers for them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

even if Gamestop decides they don't feel like stocking Persona 4 (if it comes to the US, it'll definitely be Q4 2008, not sure if Gamestop is going to still keep getting in PS2 games then).
    I have to say, that is some asinine logic. GS will sell PS2 games as long as they are still being released.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What does the asterisk mean in regards to free shipping?

For Amazon Prime members or for ther standard Super Saver thing?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Too bad Amazon won't ship games overseas, the rat bastards.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Awesome. I loved the Atlus shop in the past (great service), but I use the hell out of Amazon. I can't think of any other third party stores on Amazon that offer free shipping (at least of the ones I use), so this is extremely good news to me (as I always pick the free shipping option when it's available).

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Master Roufuss
    PSN
    Roufuss

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    I have to say, that is some asinine logic. GS will sell PS2 games as long as they are still being released.
    There is already PS2 games they aren't carrying that just came out (World Heroes and Fatal Fury Vol 2, both from SNK), and there is already games being released they are barely getting any of, like Heavenly Guardian.

It's not such a stretch to imagine Gamestop doesn't want to bother with any new copies of Persona 4. Will it happen? Probably not. But I also would have thought you were crazy if you told me "Hey, SNK's newest collections won't be at Gamestop, ever!".
    Last edited by Roufuss; 04-12-2008 at 09:57 AM.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There is already PS2 games they aren't carrying that just came out (World Heroes and Fatal Fury Vol 2, both from SNK), and there is already games being released they are barely getting any of, like Heavenly Guardian.

It's not such a stretch to imagine Gamestop doesn't want to bother with any new copies of Persona 4. Will it happen? Probably not. But I also would have thought you were crazy if you told me "Hey, SNK's newest collections won't be at Gamestop, ever!".
    If you pre order a game, they'll definitely get at least one copy. That's what I always do for the Atlus games, since other stores around here either never get them or get them late.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Master Roufuss
    PSN
    Roufuss

Quote Originally Posted by Sudo View Post
    If you pre order a game, they'll definitely get at least one copy. That's what I always do for the Atlus games, since other stores around here either never get them or get them late.
    Tried to preorder both World Heroes Anthology and Fatal Fury Battle Archives Vol. 2... can't preorder what isn't in the system and they are never receiving stock of

They were never on the website either.

I mean, I'm sure Gamestop will get Persona 4, but I'm just throwing out a what if and now at least Atlus has a guaranteed place to distribute it should it come to the US, along with other games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The pre-order analogy falls through when you consider their policy on budget releases. GameStop will not accept pre-orders for any new release with an MSRP $19.99 or under.

This new Atlus deal is great news. Now I won't be pre-ordering anything at GameStop anymore

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Master Roufuss
    PSN
    Roufuss

Quote Originally Posted by Xexyz View Post
    This new Atlus deal is great news. Now I won't be pre-ordering anything at GameStop anymore
    The $5 coupon they give out when you sign up for the newsletter / were an old customer is awesome too... Arcana Heart for $24.99 shipped free no tax? Awesome!

And it sounds like Atlus is going to be giving us deals on their games through the newsletter through Amazon, that is what has me really excited.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

This is great news for me! I use Amazon all the time (Mostly for my obscure Italian movies that no one wants to stock!!!) and now i can get my obscure games that no one wants to stock all in the same place

I also like the fact that I have less of a reason to support Gamestop. I try not to support them if possible, but sometimes Amazon runs out of stock and Gamestop is the only place in the area that still has a copy of a game that I want.
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Agreed. My continued support of Amazon is another middle finger to Gamestop from me.

I've had GS managers laugh and say, "If you don't pre-order such and such game, we won't carry it and you can't find it any where else!"

The hell I can't.

Not to mention, the GS closest to me condensed their PS2 section heavily. Used games have been reduced to about 5 or 6 shelves, new games are now shelved near the PC games, spines out. Anyone else seeing this?

Anyway, getting off track here, go Atlus and Amazon!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Master Roufuss
    PSN
    Roufuss

Don't really want to post a rumor in here, but it makes sense -

Got wind of this from CAG, but apparently some Ebay seller showed up with about 10 copies each of Nocturne, sealed, and listed them at a firesale price of around $70 - he sold out right away, naturally.

Now, Play-Asia all of a sudden has new copies of the game up for sale.

It's being rumored there is a reprint, and I wouldn't be surprised - I could have seen Gamestop passing on a reprint of this game (they have been burned plenty of times with reprints of in demand games just not selling), and Atlus not having the distribution channels to properly re-release a high profile game like this themselves, but now they can just use Amazon's channels to do it. Would also be a killer way to celebrate the new found union.

I'd be super excited if the game popped up on Amazon this week, but it's only a RUMOR for now!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Got wind of this from CAG, but apparently some Ebay seller showed up with about 10 copies each of Nocturne, sealed, and listed them at a firesale price of around $70 - he sold out right away, naturally.
    This part of the rumor always works best when you link it to the auctions in question (which I can't seem to find after searching the completed auctions). Hope it's true though, because I'd love to see more people able to play the game... even if Devil Summoner was more fun :P

edit - here's a dude's storefront on Amazon where he's selling 'em for $70/new, though I don't see why anyone would pick that over Play Asia's reasonable price of $45+shipping.
    Last edited by roushimsx; 04-14-2008 at 06:21 AM.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks man, i just bought a copy. I needed the no soundtrack version of Nocturne to add to my collection.