Thread: RGB mods? Why are there no YPbPr mods!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Default RGB mods? Why are there no YPbPr mods!

I see RGB mods for various older systems all the time. I would LOVE to do some of these but it seems like a hassel and i'm not really tech savvy.

Lets say I sucsessfully RGB mod my system of choice. Here in the US (in my opinion) it's just not practical. From what I understand, to make use of my newly RGB modded system I have to either A) Keep an old computer monitor around B) Import A TV from Europ that has RGB/SCART connections or C) Get an XRGB converter? Please correct me if i'm wrong!

RGB just seems like a big hassel to me, but it got me thinking; Why are there no YPbPr mods for older systems? From what I understand it's basically the same thing as RGB and it would work with most US TVs bought in the past 5 years or so. My Toshiba CRT has YPbPr inputs and I couldn't imagine how good my Genesis or NES would look with that connection.
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

analog rgb is the purest video signal in 99% of systems out today. only topped by digital video.
    once you have that you can convert to what you need. almost all systems after the nes have rgb on the video out port or internally.
    in most case its just a matter of making a cable and in a few cases making a rgb amp to boost the brightness.
    The hardest systems to mod for rgb is the nes and the 3do, 3do being the hardest.
    right now i think i am the only one that knows how to and has done it in the last decade or more.
    i have instructions on how to do it on a few forums.

again rgb is the best video most systems have and that is available to utilize.
    once you have that convert to what you need.

there are rgb to component boards like the neobitz.

i use a XRGB2 Plus that upscans the rgb to vga. then i connect that to my HD tv.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

i agree w/ acem77. if youre gonna mod something, generally people aim for the top of the line and work from there. plus, no classic system outputs YPbPr natively... RGB is the purest form of video.

btw, good luck getting an xRGB2... those things hardly ever show up on ebay and there arent many (if any) import shops for them.

heres one, if youre considering getting it, i suggest you hop on it.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Micomsoft-XRGB-2...QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

With Genesis, SNES, Saturn, and some other systems, you can just use a SCART hookup (they work on US units) and buy a YUV converter. Those converters do go for a good $100, but there's no mod necessary. With systems that don't have a headphone jack, though, you would have to mod the converter to give it an audio out (or mod the system with rca jacks). With any of these systems, an "RGB mod" isn't modifying the internal system (because they output RGB natively), just adding a different port or making a custom cable.

For the Turbo systems, I only ever see s-video mods. The weird part about that is, from my understanding, an s-video mod for the Turbo involves an internal RGB amp mod, so s-video is actually a reduction in quality. Why nobody mods them for component or real RGB is beyond me.

(On an unrelated note, this thread makes me think of Anthony1...)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith Storm View Post
    RGB just seems like a big hassel to me, but it got me thinking; Why are there no YPbPr mods for older systems? From what I understand it's basically the same thing as RGB and it would work with most US TVs bought in the past 5 years or so. My Toshiba CRT has YPbPr inputs and I couldn't imagine how good my Genesis or NES would look with that connection.
    Because getting a YPbPr modded console would involve building an RGB to YPbPr transcoder inside the console. Apart from space constrains, it isn't cost effective; it's just better to mod the consoles for RGB and then using an external RGB to YPbPr transcoder (not adapter, they are different things).

As other posters said, a lot of consoles output in RGB natively, so to get YPrPb it's just a matter of getting the right cable and the RGB to YPbPr transcoder.

And last, but not least, YPbPr isn't such a huge step over S-Video in non-progressive systems (PSX, N64 and earlier).
    Last edited by izarate; 04-13-2008 at 05:11 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Thanks for the info everyone! I was kind of in the dark as to why one connection was used instead of the other. At least now I somewhat have an understanding of why.

Although I would really like to play my systems in RGB it still just sounds like too much of hassel and not to mention costly. I guess I'll just stick with S-Video if I want to do some mods. I heard the Genesis looks fantastic with S-Video (granted not as good as RGB).

Is there any site that has screen captures of games across various systems that shows the difference between RF, Composite, Component, RGB, etc? I came across one site that showed the difference between Neo-Geo games but thats all I have seen. I would like to see the difference in what the Genesis looks like.

Again, thanks for the help!
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by izarate View Post
    ...non-progressive systems (PSX, N64 and earlier).
    Most PSX and N64 games are progressive. All NES games are too.

All genesis games except Sonic 2 split screen are progressive too, including SNES (though I believe some are interlaced).

They use 240p.. And RGB or Y/Pr/Pb look great on them. I just got a Sony PVM monitor with RGB, and it's amazing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is there any site that has screen captures of games across various systems that shows the difference between RF, Composite, Component, RGB, etc? I came across one site that showed the difference between Neo-Geo games but thats all I have seen. I would like to see the difference in what the Genesis looks like.

Again, thanks for the help!
    http://www.sega-16.com/feature_page.php?id=193

Most PSX and N64 games are progressive. All NES games are too.

All genesis games except Sonic 2 split screen are progressive too, including SNES (though I believe some are interlaced).

They use 240p.. And RGB or Y/Pr/Pb look great on them. I just got a Sony PVM monitor with RGB, and it's amazing.
    Sorry, I meant 480p. I know that in RGB monitors they look pretty good (I have a Commodore monitor for this purpose) but on regular TVs it really doesn't warrant the effort and cost.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Excuse me if I seem a bit rude or blunt, but how much are you willing to pay for a genesis, or other classic system, that has YPbPr outputs on it?

I'm not selling any, if your wondering why I'm asking, it's just pure curiosity.

Also, would you mind if the main board and internals came in a wood box like... say a supergun pictured below.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Thanks izarate!!! That Sega-16 feature was just what I was wanting to see. It did a great job at comparing the different methods of output.

Quote Originally Posted by isufje View Post
    Excuse me if I seem a bit rude or blunt, but how much are you willing to pay for a genesis, or other classic system, that has YPbPr outputs on it?

I'm not selling any, if your wondering why I'm asking, it's just pure curiosity.

Also, would you mind if the main board and internals came in a wood box like... say a supergun pictured below.
    You weren't rude at all. If this thread was not a good time to ask your question, I don't know when would have been.

To answer your question however, I honestly don't know how much I would pay. I think it's one of those things that I would have to see in person to realize just how much I would be willing to shell out. But I don't believe I would pay much if it were in a custom case. For me, it's important that the system be in its original form/case when the mod is all said and done.

For a Supergun thats understandable because it's an arcade MVS crammed into a little box. But if I were going to pay for a modded console it must still be in the original console case.

I believe that after hearing what everyone had to say and doing a little research, I will be happy (for the moment) with a simple S-Video mod for my older systems. Although RGB still sounds like a major hassel (living in the US) so if I had to pay for an RGB or a YPbPr mod I would certainly go with the YPbPr so I could play it on my TV.

My Sega Genesis and Sega CD are VERY important to me. I have a spare JVC X'Eye and I believe that getting an S-Video mod for it and my other systems will fill my needs nicely!