Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Some Stupid or Bad Decisions and/or Moves Nintendo Has Made

Great Puma (Level 12) Sylentwulf's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Some Stupid or Bad Decisions and/or Moves Nintendo Has Made

All Gamecube related. Obviously they know what they're doing in the GBA department.

#1 - Releaseing mario Sunshine with the worst camera angles ever frigging thought of

#2 - Removing 2 dungeons from wind waker because "It was getting too big, and we wanted kids to be able to finish it too"

#3 - Final Fantasy Origins - Made by Nintendo. Not Square. Nintendo. Yes. An RPG made by Nintendo, what? Nintendo's RPG'S Suck? oh. I hadn't noticed.

#4 - Charging an arm and your first born son's leg for liscensing<sp> fee's for third party develoiper

#5 - The "C" Stick. You can't even MAKE a good camera angle, why make a stick to control it?

#6 - Saying your system is not ONLY for kids, then using the word sunshine in your flagship game, and showing cartoony pics of Link

#7 - Maybe the biggest mistake. Letting Miyamoto supervise/approve instead of MAKING the games.

#8 - On...line? Broad...what? like through a phone wire? or Cable? With other people? I don't get it.

#9 - Again. RPG's? Japanese people like RPG's? Japan influences the rest of the world as far as videogames? RPG's? Those are like... ummmm for grown ups right? Wait, is this like Pokemon? Cuz we have that!
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

DP Users get 8% off at www.ElectricQuarter.com using coupon code Digipress5

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

#10 That wonderfully crafted 72-pin connector in the NES.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sothy

But the adult titles are excellent.

For example:

<@Carey85> I-75 is the second busiest freeway in the country behind I-95
    <@NE146> u r

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Zombies get horny, too!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by junglehunter
    LOL

Zombies get horny, too!
    It's funnier if you reverse those roles. What is she doing to the poor zombie? It looks shocked.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

#11 Hiring Me. I have to say, since I joined, things haven't exactly been peachy. You do the math.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

#12: Virtual Boy- customers like to be able to see thank you very much.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

The funny thing thought, you can point our where they went wrong and they still come out smelling like roses.

Example: Game Boy Advance's horrible non-lit screen. People bitched and complained but still bought it. Then they came out with the SP, which is what they should have released in the first place. People bitched and complained but still bought it.

The N64 and the decision to use carts, alienating many 3rd parties and causing the games to cost more. Thought not as sucessful as the PSX, I'd go so far as to guess it still sold more than the Saturn and DC combined.

If there ever was a bullet broof company in this industry, I think it's the big N.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sothy
    But the adult titles are excellent.

For example:

Is that a joke or a real game?

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, all I know is that Sothy altered the picture to remove the girl's tentacles. That poor zombie!
    (\ /)
    (O.o) ---XBL GT: RHINDLE
    (><)
    /_|_\ ---PH34R TEH BUNNY

Cherry (Level 1) Eternal Champion's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Removing 2 dungeons from wind waker because "It was getting too big, and we wanted kids to be able to finish it too"
    "They" are really out of touch. My guess is that no one working on these games was around in the NES days. Miyamoto isn't the chief designer and it shows.

Excuse me, but, erm, WEREN'T MOST OF US KIDS WHEN WE PLAYED THE FIRST ZELDA??? OR EVEN ZELDA LTTP ON SNES?????????? KIDS PLAYED NES GAMES AND WE DIDN'T CRY BECAUSE THEY WERE SOOOOOO HARD!!! I've never met anybody who liked Zelda, found out there was a second quest with new dungeons, and cowered in fear at the thought of new challenges. @#$@#$!! > I loved that!!! MORE ZELDA!!!! GIMME!!! EARTH TO NINTENDO: I WAS A FUCKING KID!!!

FU@#$#$! > I can't believe these people. HOW STUPID DO THEY THINK KIDS ARE?????? GET THIS BREAKING NEWS ITEM: KIDS ARE SMART!! HOLY SHIT!!!!! Do they even have kids??!!??!

I loved the challenge of Zelda, Zelda II, Metroid, etc. It gave me incentive to try harder. To solve the challenges. I REPEAT: KIDS ARE SMART. Kids like a challenge! Easy games are boring! Games that are beaten easily are put aside for the next challenge! IN THE NAME OF FUCK. This really makes my blood boil.

Charging an arm and your first born son's leg for liscensing<sp> fee's for third party develoiper
    In the days of the NES, Nintendo could get away with what amounted to monopolistic business practices because they decimated the only competition, which was Sega. But then the Genesis came out and Nintendo let them get a 2-year lead on the 16-bit market.

More to the point, today, with 3 consoles competing, it's just plain stupid. If I'm a 3rd party developer, and Nintendo has such high fees, I'd be looking at Sony and Microsoft. I.e., the competition. Pricing yourself out is very stupid, especially in these cut-throat days.

Again. RPGs? Japanese people like RPGs? Japan influences the rest of the world as far as videogames? RPGs? Those are like... ummmm for grown ups right? Wait, is this like Pokemon? Cuz we have that!
    Right. Even a dim-witted person would look at the success of Final Fantasy VII-X on Playstation/PS2 AS SOMETHING TO CAPITALIZE ON. But no. What, do the corporate suits think that kids don't like RPGs either??!! x_x Cripes...Do they all share a brain, which has amnesia?? Remember Chrono Trigger on SNES? FFIII?? SUCCESSFUL RPGs!! Imagine that!! That's it. Nintendo's made the list. Anger is a gift.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Virtual Boy didn't make me blind. If you wanna talk about head inducing colors, then look at the borders around this site! J/k...

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Some Stupid or bad decisions and/or moves Nintendo has m

Quote Originally Posted by Sylentwulf
    #1 - Releaseing mario Sunshine with the worst camera angles ever frigging thought of
    The camera angle argument is debatable. Some people hated the system they implemented, others find it works well, personally I find it's excellent once you get the hang of it. It really comes down to N trying to advance the camera system and finding that it wasn't to everyone's liking.

The bigger mistake IMO was calling the game Sunshine

#2 - Removing 2 dungeons from wind waker because "It was getting too big, and we wanted kids to be able to finish it too"
    >.< I got nothing.. that's just frigging daft.

#4 - Charging an arm and your first born son's leg for liscensing<sp> fee's for third party develoiper
    True, but they have just reduced licencing fees for 3rd party developers.

#5 - The "C" Stick. You can't even MAKE a good camera angle, why make a stick to control it?
    Comes down to the same as reply to #1. Although the concept is a good one and one which I think deserves future implementation. Camera's are notoriously difficult to implement in a 3D game and as sods law would have it there will always be something the designer can't predict, so why not allow the player the option of shifting the camera to fix it. Such an option would have done wonders for Devil May Cry 2's camera issues.

#6 - Saying your system is not ONLY for kids, then using the word sunshine in your flagship game, and showing cartoony pics of Link
    Sunshine, I agree is kinda touchy, but cartoony Link.. big deal. Besides, the point is kind of mute considering N also set out to please the "mature" obsessed with titles such as Eternal Darkness and securing the RE series.

#7 - Maybe the biggest mistake. Letting Miyamoto supervise/approve instead of MAKING the games.
    Yes and no.
    Yes,obviously because the man is at his best in the drivers seat.
    No, because his aid and influence has been put to excellent work in assisting Nintendo's teams and second parties on their projects, which have turned out exceptionally well (E.g. MP, ED). Plus the assistance ensures that the second parties are actually well supported and not just financed so as to equip them to produce future titles of hopefully equal calibur on their own. Real investment rather than just financial produces good results, some of which we're already seeing.

#8 - On...line? Broad...what? like through a phone wire? or Cable? With other people? I don't get it.
    I think the jury is still out on online play for consoles and taking into account the additional costs to the consumer and the fact that not everyone is equiped for it, I don't really see the loss, especially because real multiplayer is far more fun.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Releasing The Virtua Boy
    Games, games and more games

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

and yes I mispelled virtual boy but ......does it really matter
    Games, games and more games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    gruffbear
    PSN
    gruffbear
    Steam
    gruffbear

Of course, there's screwing around with Sony and pissing them off so they'd get into the business.

On #3, isn't Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles being developed by Square and just published by Nintendo?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As for the "We wanted kids to win too" debate, that is utter bullshit. What they really should have done is bring the game home to their own kids to play before release. How much would you want to bet the kid(s) would complete the game in no time, two extra dungeons included, and find secrets to boot? Who regulates at N how smart or not kids are today. Hell, my friends kid around the corner is 12 years old, and has beaten games I am STILL working on. I would say the N really has to get with the program on this one!

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

"As for the "We wanted kids to win too" debate, that is utter bullshit."

Yep... I'm just about the biggest Nintendo fan boy on these boards but there are lots of aspects about Nintendo that I don't like. Where shall I begin?

1. The Nintendo Gamecube midget discs. I mean, what the fuck? Nintendo is SO afraid that piracy will cut into their sales... despite the fact that it didn't to Sony. Sure, there are people who sell 'backups' , but if a game is good honest people will buy it. Obviously it's true... even Metroid Prime couldn't become the top selling game the month it was released but a PS2 game (that is subject to piracy) beat it. Wind Waker is the first Gamecube game ever to be the #1 selling game (or maybe it was Mario Sunshine). So that excuse is pathetic. The midget discs have like 1/8 the storage space of a DVD. Get with the fucking times for gods sake Nintendo.

2. I really don't like the games they are bringing out for the Gameboy Advance. I know some people want to be able to play Mario World or Link to the Past on the road, but I think some games are for home, so games aren't. What are my favorite GBA games? Metroid Fusion and Castlevania: Circle of the Moon. Two games that weren't avaible at home oddly enough.

3. The E-Reader is a great concept, but Nintendo has fucked it up royally. We've got over it before so I'll just make it brief: these things are barely convenent as is, so why not just put random cards in packs and give the thing a sort of collectability? Idiots.

4. Although I don't care one way or another, Nintendo is once again unwilling to change with the times and they've proved it better then anything else with their complete and total failure to use the internet. One goddamn networked game... and now word is coming through that Mario Party 5 and the next Animal Crossing will NOT be online. Sure, Animal Xing 2 will have some sort of fucked up e-mail thing, but that is still a generation behind what X-Box and PS2 are doing RIGHT FUCKING NOW! Ugh.

Nintendo will never go away, but I think that there is a strong chance the machine after the Gamecube will be the last home console from them. It's a Sony industry now and Nintendo just isn't 'with it' anymore. And in the video game industry, no company that had once been #1 has ever come back to reclaim the throne.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just can't believe it took em so long to making a freagin color gameboy. They had the technology, they just didnt put it to use. They were just trying to milk the system. They should have put out a color system 3-4 years before they actually did. they would have made a lot more money and made quite more of a stir.
    -crispy
    No, I'm Mr. Big Lucky Flavor!

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cheesystick
    I just can't believe it took em so long to making a freagin color gameboy. They had the technology, they just didnt put it to use. They were just trying to milk the system. They should have put out a color system 3-4 years before they actually did. they would have made a lot more money and made quite more of a stir.
    -crispy
    Nintendo didn't debut a color portable right away because, as I recall, it was waiting for the associated technology to get cheaper and more reliable, as opposed to "milking" the B&W unit. Also, a lack of color certainly didn't prevent the Game Boy from stomping the Lynx, Game Gear, and TurboExpress; people chose the GB's lower MSRP, longer battery life, and killer game library. There's no way Nintendo could've made "a lot more money," as they've already been reaping the vast majority of portable-game profits for coming up on 15 years now.

-- Z.