Thread: Let's Clean Our Stuff: SNES Pad

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Talking Let's Clean Our Stuff: SNES Pad

Are your controllers getting dirt and grime along the seams? There's probably dirt and grime around the buttons too. Most gamepads use standard small phillips head screws, so crack that thing open and get the hot water running. Today's subject: The SNES Pad

All of our parts together

Don't be afraid to get the pieces mixed up. Aside from the L and R buttons, everything only goes in one way. Also, I wouldn't wash the metal rods that hold the L and R buttons on, as they're metal (rust...) and they're small enough to likely fall down the drain.

Our buttons, ready to be washed

I didn't use any soap, just running water (hot) from my bathroom sink. You may want to close the drain, just to be safe. The buttons might have a bit of grime around their bottom rings, so be sure to wipe it off. Even though the rubber pieces shouldn't have much dust or anything on them, I wash them just the same. The two halves of the plastic shell are going to be the hardest parts to clean, as they have not only the most surface area, but also the most hard-to-reach crevasses. The edges where the halves contact are going to be where the grime is collected, so be sure to wash that off. Also, scrub the flat surfaces to remove the built up skin oils and whatever has been rubbing off your hands all these years (12 years of use for me). If it feels slick or oily under the water, scratch it with your fingernail or rub it harder until it feels more like plastic. I cleaned both the inside and outside of all my parts.

After washing an individual piece, lay it out on a towel or something similar to dry. When you're done with the rest of the pieces, a blow dryer works nicely to get everything dry quickly. I don't think that leaving water on rubber is a good idea, especially since the metal contacts under the buttons are attached with what I'm guessing is adhesive glue.

Now, let's look at something interesting:

SNES Pad front half

See the labels? If you know anything about the localization of the SNES, you'll notice that the button color placement from the SFC pad is noted, as well as the SNES color placement. Where the SFC was a bit more colorful (in keeping with the FC's "toy" concept of marketing), the SNES used only two colors, specifically "lavender" and "purple." I'm going to take a guess and say that these markings indicate that the buttons were inserted by hand, not a machine, and that Nintendo could manufacture a larger number of the same part number without having to worry about different markets. Whether the system identifying logo on the controller was printed before or after assembly, I can't say.

So what's the end result?

Clean and Gray!

The camera flash hides the slight discoloration, which actually is pretty even over the whole controller. Still, it's definitely cleaner. I've put this controller through so much wear and tear that it amazes me it still looks this good. Heck, the sides of its underside are shiny and smoothed out from so much use.

I hope you enjoyed this, might do the same for some other stuff. Taking game equipment apart and cleaning it is oddly fascinating. If anyone has suggestions on cleaning fluid or other methods, then by all means, I'd love to hear and try them.

Insert Coin (Level 0) fairyland's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nice, I also clean out my dirty controllers and systems, but I'm curious, how would one go about cleaning the electronic part? I normally never touch those other than a blast of canned air, but the reason why I ask is that last year I got a free PS1 with two off brand PS1 controllers. It turned out that someone had dumped soda onto it and it had dried into a gooey mess. I managed to get the non-working system working after cleaning it out with a q-tip and a water/alcohol mix, but the controllers I could never get to work properly. I'm not sure why or how I managed to get the system to work and not the controllers, but I'm thinking it could have been my cleaning technique was not good enough to repair the damage done by the soda. Are there techniques for cleaning the electrics as well in emergency cases such as mine?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

This might be better suited to the technical and restoration forum, although I understand by posting it here you're getting a lot more exposure. Good tutorial!

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fairyland View Post
    Nice, I also clean out my dirty controllers and systems, but I'm curious, how would one go about cleaning the electronic part?
    Well, if SODA was left on the PCB for an extended period of time, I would guess that the actual board and leads are corroded. If you can see which individual traces are damaged, a soldering iron and some solder CAN repair the connection, but most likely, something's already shorted by now. I forget where I read it, but using something abrasive like light sandpaper or a metal brush might work for cleaning dried/deposited liquids, but it sounds risky. If common sodas can win science fairs for dissolving teeth, I'm guessing that they can easily eat away at circuit boards and cause irreparable damage.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

nice tutorial

now if you could find a way to remove the orange tint from my SNES I'd be REALLY happy

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

An old toothbrush does wonders for cleaning out the cracks of a controller, even witout opening it up.
    [SIZE="4"][URL="http://www.retroreviewproject.com"]The Retro Review Project[/URL][/SIZE]

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Quote Originally Posted by boatofcar View Post
    This might be better suited to the technical and restoration forum, although I understand by posting it here you're getting a lot more exposure. Good tutorial!

I agree and hence where it shall be whoosed post haste.

Quote Originally Posted by c0ldb33r View Post
    nice tutorial

now if you could find a way to remove the orange tint from my SNES I'd be REALLY happy
    That yellowing isn't going to come off. Its oxidation from the grade of plastic used to make many SNES's. Some don't have it, many more do. Learn to love your SF Giants hued SNES or find one that hasn't turned. No amount of scrubbing, bleaching or praying will save it.

Nayus Very nice tutorial! Hope to see more in the future!

**Shimmy shimmy shake**
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PapaStu View Post
    That yellowing isn't going to come off. Its oxidation from the grade of plastic used to make many SNES's. Some don't have it, many more do. Learn to love your SF Giants hued SNES or find one that hasn't turned. No amount of scrubbing, bleaching or praying will save it.
    Yeah - I know

I think there have been a few threads about it already in the Tech and Restoration forum. IIRC, a magic eraser will help it but smooths the plastic. I'm not sure about this, I'm not about to do it and I'm just working from memory.