Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Genesis stereo sound questions

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Question Genesis stereo sound questions

I was wondering if the Genesis actually outputs to stereo? From what I understand, with the Model 1 Genesis you can get “True” Stereo sound out of the headphone jack. But what about the model 2, 3 etc?

All of the official Genesis A/V cables that I have seen are only mono (one white and one yellow). This is what I am currently using with my Genesis 3 and CDX. But I have seen some 3rd party A/V cables for the Genesis 2 (like the Performance one) that have the full White, Red, Yellow cables. I once read that these cables will get the sound channels from both left and right speakers but still only outputs to mono. Is this true? Or if I get one of these cables will I actually here stereo sound from my Genesis 2,3,CDX, X’Eye? If so, then why would they release a mono and a stereo A/V cable?

I also have a JVC X’Eye and it has the Genesis 9-pin A/V connector on the back of the unit but it also has a set of white, red, yellow A/V barrels. With the X’Eye I use a male to male A/V cable. But my question here is, which gives the better overall quality? Should I use the Genesis 9 pin (red, white, yellow) A/V connection or the 3 barrel male to male A/V connection?
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Genesis does stereo through the headphone jack on model 1 and through the back on model 2. If you have yellow, red and white cables, it will be stereo. Most games support stereo, but not all. If you run across the room from left to right in the castle in Beyond Oasis, you will hear the waterfall in the left speaker first, then both, then the right speaker.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Thank you VERY much!!! You have no idea how much that eases my mind.

Thanks for the tip with Beyond Oasis. I'll have to give that a try later today, just to make sure I am indeed getting stereo output.
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Insert Coin (Level 0) outofkeyslightly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have the white/red/yellow cord for my genesis two and it does, in fact, have stereo sound. I can confirm that. I'm also about seventy percent sure that if you hook up the sega-cd (model 2)'s left and right component cables on the back, you'll also gain stereo sound from the genesis. My tv's not stereo though, and I don't have a boombox around that's easy enough to hook up to, so I can't test this out right now. If memory serves though...

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Any way to get stereo out of a Genesis 3?
    [SIZE="4"][URL="http://www.retroreviewproject.com"]The Retro Review Project[/URL][/SIZE]

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

The Genesis 1 AV port is larger than the Genesis 2, and every model 1 cable is thus Mono, and every model 2 is thus Stereo. I use the Radioshack version of this 1 Female to 2 Male RCA adapter, which takes the Mono audio and puts it through both channels on a stereo TV. That way you get both speakers working even though its really mono.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sega Genesis model 2,X'eye,32X and CDX systems output stereo thru their native 9 mini pin din connector...Some earlier revisions of the Genesis 3 do this too,but the later on ones only do mono via the connector.
    Last edited by ooXxXoo; 04-14-2008 at 11:33 AM.
    §ø Ï ζ Ξ Δ φ Ψ ς ώ ☆ ¿ ∞ ♪ ξ

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    The Genesis 1 AV port is larger than the Genesis 2, and every model 1 cable is thus Mono, and every model 2 is thus Stereo. I use the Radioshack version of this 1 Female to 2 Male RCA adapter, which takes the Mono audio and puts it through both channels on a stereo TV. That way you get both speakers working even though its really mono.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

Well, that makes sense when you use external speakers. It's called "Y adapter".

But in a TV?

Almost every TV has a "mono mode". It's even written in the inputs: L/Mono.

So, yeah, you plug only in the white jack and choose mono in the menu...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

I used to wire the headphone jack into a 3.5mm > RCA Phono cable and hook it up to the TV that way. I had a few of the cables sitting around for the PC as well. Worked great

Never had a model 2 so I couldn't help you there. I do seem to recall the SegaCD had RCA red/white jacks on the back though. I had a Model 1 genesis on a Model 2 SegaCD. Had to special order a piece of plastic to brace the thing while it was hanging over the edge

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

you had to special order that piece? i think it came with the Sega CD 2...i know mine included it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

There is an official Sega AV cord for the Genesis 2 that has both left and right channels (yellow, red, and white). I bought mine off ebay.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes inded,the official Sega stereo cable is the model MK-1635 while the mono is MK-1634

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ooXxXoo View Post
    Sega Genesis model 2,X'eye,32X and CDX systems output stereo thru their native 9 mini pin din connector...Some earlier revisions of the Genesis 3 do this too,but the later on ones only do mono via the connector.
    Is there a way to tell if a particular Genesis 3 will do stereo? Mine came with a mono cable, so I take that as a good indication it can't, but you never know.
    [SIZE="4"][URL="http://www.retroreviewproject.com"]The Retro Review Project[/URL][/SIZE]

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius View Post
    Is there a way to tell if a particular Genesis 3 will do stereo? Mine came with a mono cable, so I take that as a good indication it can't, but you never know.
    That is definately not a good sign....I'm not for sure on this one,but the Genesis 3 systems with stereo that I've seen usually have low serial numbers...

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    Well, that makes sense when you use external speakers. It's called "Y adapter".

But in a TV?

Almost every TV has a "mono mode". It's even written in the inputs: L/Mono.

So, yeah, you plug only in the white jack and choose mono in the menu...
    Big Duh on my part, you are right, because I hadn't actually tried it until you mentioned it. Doesn't work either! The reason I only get the left is because I've got several AV cables going into a switch box, and the output from that goes into the TV. So in order to have the TV use its Mono Mode, I have to unhook the Right Audio cable every time. What a nussance.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    Big Duh on my part, you are right, because I hadn't actually tried it until you mentioned it. Doesn't work either! The reason I only get the left is because I've got several AV cables going into a switch box, and the output from that goes into the TV. So in order to have the TV use its Mono Mode, I have to unhook the Right Audio cable every time. What a nussance.
    I never tried too... ^^'

But yes, if you have to always switch to mono it's not a good idea too. Makes sense with a switch box too! =D

I've used a Y adapter some time ago, when hooking a stereo system to a mono VCR. =)
    Last edited by Rogue; 04-14-2008 at 08:37 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith Storm View Post
    Thank you VERY much!!! You have no idea how much that eases my mind.

Thanks for the tip with Beyond Oasis. I'll have to give that a try later today, just to make sure I am indeed getting stereo output.
    No sweat .

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    I never tried too... ^^'

But yes, if you have to always switch to mono it's not a good idea too. Makes sense with a switch box too! =D

I've used a Y adapter some time ago, when hooking a stereo system to a mono VCR. =)
    There is another way, which is to take the output from the switchbox's mini-jack (1/8"), and split that into L and R. That jack is essentially a recombined headphone jack. But that still requires unplugging wires.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Cinder6

If you connect a mixing cable (I just use a 1/8"->1/8" jack, since I don't have the official one) between a Genesis model 1 and a Sega CD (I forget if both models of the SCD had it; I know for sure the original does, and I think the second as well--somebody can confirm), then you can run stereo sound from the jacks on the back of the Sega CD. What's cool is you can then balance the volume with the headphones volume slider.
    Knowledge is Power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, the second Mega CD model does also have a mixing jack along with RCA jacks you can use to get your sound from a stereo system.