Thread: Sega Genesis Modding and Repair

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Sega Genesis Modding and Repair

Hi all,

I am new to modding and repair of classic systems and thought that this would be a good place to start. I have two genesis consoles, gen 1 and 2. The gen 1 works fine, it just needs to be cleaned up (I started taking it apart and noticed corosion and rus on the metal protective plate and screws) for now, and the gen 2 from what I have researched and read here sounds like it needs to have its joints reflowed, so I am attempting to do that when I get out of work tonight.

I have been doing research into painting, led replacement, and other mods and was wondering if anyone else has something to offer as far as books or web site reading material with basics for modding and repair. I have a basic understanding of circuits and circuit boards (I'm a mechanical engineer but we had to take some basic circuit classes as pre-reqs) but I need a bit more to go on if I am going to start preforming mods to classic gaming systems.

Here is my short term (within the week) goals:

Gen 1:
    Finish disassembling
    Clean
    Replace LED
    Possibly paint

Gen 2:
    Reflow joints
    Paint system (I know it will be easier to drill holes for mods if its not painted, well not easier but save me a headache since the paint might chip, but I was planning on getting another system for making sound, video and region mods on) and controllers
    Replace LED

General:
    Research more on repair and mods
    Research controller mods

So once again, if anyone has anything to offer for a newcomer to modding, please do.

Thanks

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Updates:

Gen 1:
    Finish disassembling (check)
    Clean
    Replace LED (check)
    Possibly paint (still thinking)

Gen 2:
    Reflow joints (check)
    Paint system and controllers (in the process. I will be posting photos when its done)
    Replace LED

General:
    Research controller mods

So the Gen 1 is looking pretty good right now. I replaced the red 3W led with a yellow 5W led.

The Gen 2 is alright. The painting is coming along quite nicely, and the joints were reflowed with relative ease. The problem now is with the LED. I disconnected the old one and tried to replace it with a 5W Blue LED. This did not work however, and after a few other failed swapping attempts, I dont know what to do. Is it possible that I fried the circuit in the PCB? Is it fixable, or has anyone else had this problem and found a way around it? The rest of the system works fine, just no light.

Thanks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pabloescobear View Post
    Updates:

Gen 1:
    Finish disassembling (check)
    Clean
    Replace LED (check)
    Possibly paint (still thinking)

Gen 2:
    Reflow joints (check)
    Paint system and controllers (in the process. I will be posting photos when its done)
    Replace LED

General:
    Research controller mods

So the Gen 1 is looking pretty good right now. I replaced the red 3W led with a yellow 5W led.

The Gen 2 is alright. The painting is coming along quite nicely, and the joints were reflowed with relative ease. The problem now is with the LED. I disconnected the old one and tried to replace it with a 5W Blue LED. This did not work however, and after a few other failed swapping attempts, I dont know what to do. Is it possible that I fried the circuit in the PCB? Is it fixable, or has anyone else had this problem and found a way around it? The rest of the system works fine, just no light.

Thanks
    check the polarity on the LED. also, check to see if you're getting power there with a multimeter
    meow :3

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Checked everything out and Im pretty sure I wrecked the PCB in that spot. Any suggestions. Is there a way to route power from anywhere else on the sega or should I just give up and buy a new Gen 2?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Checked everything out and Im pretty sure I wrecked the PCB in that spot. Any suggestions. Is there a way to route power from anywhere else on the sega or should I just give up and buy a new Gen 2?
    you can try and follow the trace you fucked and see if there's anywhere you can scrape on it with an exacto knife and solder to. ive had to fix a trace like that before cause it ripped off from a trhu-hole

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just connect it to the +5v part of any chip on the board, or even directly to the voltage regulator output.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Alright. Both sound like decent ideas. Ill try to get one of them to work when I get out today. I was thinking of connecting it to one of the 5V parts but wasnt sure if it would leave everthing working fine. I didnt want to cause more problems than I already had.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy View Post
    Just connect it to the +5v part of any chip on the board, or even directly to the voltage regulator output.
    he will almost certainly burn the new LED like that (unless it's rated for at least 5V). iirc there's a resistor that goes somewhere to drop the voltage a bit for the LED... ill grab my multimeter later on and check if i can find that model 2 i had laying around.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

True, not everybody knows that, but he did cite a thread that discussed replacement LEDs and proper resistors.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

With a couple quick calculations, I found out that a 160 Ohm resistor was the way to go. So I bought one, slapped it on drawing from the 5V current and it seems to be working great.

Thanks everyone

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

With a couple quick calculations, I found out that a 160 Ohm resistor was the way to go. So I bought one, slapped it on drawing from the 5V current and it seems to be working great.

Thanks everyone
    glad to see everything worked out what color LED did you use?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Im going for a sonic and knuckles design for my system so I went for a bright blue led. Painting is taking alot longer than I originally anticipated since I'm doing it by hand, so I should have the pics posted next week.